SEGA/Gearbox in cIass action lawsuit over Aliens: Colonial Marines

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Source: GS

Reason: False advertising

This just gets worse, doesn't it?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46231 Posts

Very good. Misleading customers like this is appalling.

I only played the game at a friends house, didn't even pay a penny for it and even I feel ripped off. What an awful game, nothing like what they showed.

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

Wow California sure is desperate for money these days....

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I'm still waiting on that Wii U version.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Good. I hope more companies get sued when they pull that kind of shit. If anything, early "real time" trailers should look  worse  than the final product. 

Lesson to developers/publishers: If you can't make a game look and play a certain way.. don't show it looking and playing that way. Simple enough, right?

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

I like how you being a huge nintendo fanboy are obvioulsy the first to post something negative about sega lol,but then again...

nintendoboy16

...that statement is very relevant when discussing nintendo,don´t forget about that sunshine. ;)

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

So that means Sega knew was Gearbox was pulling and was ok with it? And does whoever filed this really hope to win/gain anything? It's not like this is the first time this has happened.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#8 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Can't say I'm surprised this is happening tbh.

I like how you being a huge nintendo fanboy are obvioulsy the first to post something negative about sega lol,but then again...

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

MrYaotubo

...that statement is very relevant when discussing nintendo,don´t forget about that sunshine. ;)

wat

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

MrYaotubo

lol,so true.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

MrYaotubo

Dude, I've always had some respect in SEGA (even as a sheep). Even if I never owned a SEGA console, I did like playing the retro Sonic games as a kid if I ever got the chance to play a Genesis/MegaDrive, heck, I even watched Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog when I was a kid (before I knew it was bad).

I was just sharing news on the whole Colonial Marines fiasco (which not only involves Sega, but Gearbox as well, though it's mostly the latter's fault), as if they didn't have enough of those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

This is the first "silly" lawsuit I agree with. Showcasing a pre-rendered demo like gameplay and claiming it being actual gameplay is a d!ck move. Even if I didnt agreed with the infamous Killzone 2 2006 "demo" at least sony never officially claimed it was gameplay footage, I think. Devs/pubs should be punished for this kind of cr4p

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
Good. I was disappointed that they game turned out the way it did. I wont buy another gearbox game.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online

This is the first "silly" lawsuit I agree with. Showcasing a pre-rendered demo like gameplay and claiming it being actual gameplay is a d!ck move. Even if I didnt agreed with the infamous Killzone 2 2006 "demo" at least sony never officially claimed it was gameplay footage, I think. Devs/pubs should be punished for this kind of cr4p

Vatusus

They didn't claim the Killzone demo was gameplay. Though they did claim it was running on PS3 hardware, which was a lie.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

Michael0134567
an eternal wait
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

AcidThunder

an eternal wait

I know. :(

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nintendoboy16

Michael0134567
Does that mean what I think it means? :P
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

nintendoboy16

What do you think it means?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

Michael0134567

Take a guess. :P
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Michael0134567

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Does that mean what I think it means? :Pnintendoboy16

Take a guess. :P

I'm no good at guessing. :(

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

I hate to play devils advocate, but it happens with movies all the time.

Not to say aliens isn't a bad game, it's awful. But the reviews came out and people saw them. 

And to take what someone said from joystiq "Everyone knows demos are a work in progress. It is actual gameplay at that moment. It's like suing because a movie trailer mislead you. Hollywood does that all the time with no repercussion. Sometimes you don't even seen scenes that are in the trailer in the actual movie."

They are constantly reminding you demos are not representive of the final product.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

This would set a very bad precedent, IMHO.

Games don't usually come together until the very tail end of development, and in order to create promotional content, the team usually has to spend time creating a "verticla slice" of the game. Now, typically you can't just create a representation of what the game looks like and plays at that moment in development, simply because assets aren't completed, haven't been optomized, story elements haven't been written, or finalized, gameplay mechanics have yet to be iterated upon, etc, etc, 

So these verticla slices are, by NECESSITY, fabrications, meant to convey to the press/gamers what the team expects the final product to be like, not what it actually is at that time (which is probably a bug ridden,  unfinished, unoptomized mess).

If this works, you can expect a tightening down of NDA's, less access to data on games before release, etc.

Look at Bioshock infinite, for example, by the devs own admissions, the demo's shown off to the press, nto only changed radically from one to the next, they differed significnantly from the final product, and at the time, they didn't even know if having Elizabeth as a companion AI as they portrayed her would even be possible.

The only difference here is that in the end, for Infinite, things came together, and the final product was great. But what if it hadn't come together as well? Should they have been sued because their previous demos weren't what the final product ended up being?

I think this is really a non-isue in today's world. 20 years ago, when the only way to find out about a game was usually though a magazine, owned by the friggin console manufacturer, yeah. But today, the moment a game comes out (or heck even before often times) there are video play thoughs, commentaries and reviews.

If you're stupid enough to trust a company without a veyr good track record outside fo a particular franchise and pre-order a game... that's on you. Unless they promised you Aliens and gave you Pokeman instead, I'd say your SOL.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Not to say aliens isn't a bad game, it's awful. But the reviews came out and people saw them. 

And to take what someone said from joystiq "Everyone knows demos are a work in progress. It is actual gameplay at that moment. It's like suing because a movie trailer mislead you. Hollywood does that all the time with no repercussion. Sometimes you don't even seen scenes that are in the trailer in the actual movie."

They are constantly reminding you demos are not representive of the final product.

Animal-Mother

This. All people are doing are wanting to sue over a shitty product that failed to meet expectations, and that is nothing at all new, in the gaming industry or any industry for that matter.

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if Sega ends up suing Gearbox over this too. They basically took Sega's funding, spent it on Borderlands development and shipped the development of Aliens off to some crappy dev on the cheap.

More to this shady business than just the fake early gameplay footage.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k  Online

This would set a very bad precedent, IMHO.

Games don't usually come together until the very tail end of development, and in order to create promotional content, the team usually has to spend time creating a "verticla slice" of the game. Now, typically you can't just create a representation of what the game looks like and plays at that moment in development, simply because assets aren't completed, haven't been optomized, story elements haven't been written, or finalized, gameplay mechanics have yet to be iterated upon, etc, etc, 

So these verticla slices are, by NECESSITY, fabrications, meant to convey to the press/gamers what the team expects the final product to be like, not what it actually is at that time (which is probably a bug ridden,  unfinished, unoptomized mess).

If this works, you can expect a tightening down of NDA's, less access to data on games before release, etc.

Look at Bioshock infinite, for example, by the devs own admissions, the demo's shown off to the press, nto only changed radically from one to the next, they differed significnantly from the final product, and at the time, they didn't even know if having Elizabeth as a companion AI as they portrayed her would even be possible.

The only difference here is that in the end, for Infinite, things came together, and the final product was great. But what if it hadn't come together as well? Should they have been sued because their previous demos weren't what the final product ended up being?

I think this is really a non-isue in today's world. 20 years ago, when the only way to find out about a game was usually though a magazine, owned by the friggin console manufacturer, yeah. But today, the moment a game comes out (or heck even before often times) there are video play thoughs, commentaries and reviews.

If you're stupid enough to trust a company without a veyr good track record outside fo a particular franchise and pre-order a game... that's on you. Unless they promised you Aliens and gave you Pokeman instead, I'd say your SOL.

Kinthalis

Why are publishers so afraid to show alpha and beta footage of games ? Why does it have to be a fabricated verticale slice ?

I don't think there has ever been a lawsuit about a game that ended up looking better than what was originally shown. Which is almost always the case, in this case however what was shown was said to be gameplay and looked way better and more fun than the actual game. Animations and graphics were better. The final game was worse in every single regard. That's not how game development works, it's not supposed to be about tricking your consumers. Even if you do fabricate gameplay at least make it pretty close to what the final game is going to be.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
this sounds like a serious case of nerd butthurt fan.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

So perhaps Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games should be sued also (along with many others) after all everyone has seen the E3 Uncharted and Kill Zone screen shots directly compared to the actually released product.

/activate flame shield :P

posersRus84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 posersRus84
Member since 2013 • 331 Posts
It doesnt matter if boaderlands is their own game or not any company that are true aliens fans would of put more effort into this game than boarderlands. gearbox always sucked so it doesnt matter.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Why are publishers so afraid to show alpha and beta footage of games ?

R4gn4r0k

Precislye because they don't want to be accused of misleading consumers/the press.

Why does it have to be a fabricated verticale slice ?

Because most games don't come together until very late in the development cycle. Some games, even a few months before they officially come out, are essentially broken and unoptimized. 

I don't think there has ever been a lawsuit about a game that ended up looking better than what was originally shown. Which is almost always the case, in this case however what was shown was said to be gameplay and looked way better and more fun than the actual game. Animations and graphics were better. The final game was worse in every single regard. That's not how game development works, it's not supposed to be about tricking your consumers. Even if you do fabricate gameplay at least make it pretty close to what the final game is going to be.

How can a controled, demo, ever get the point of "fun" accross? And how do you quantify "fun" anyway? Animaitons and graphics were better, because they hadn't been optomized yet. Most artistic development is done with high quality assets, and are then optimized (dumbed down essentially) to meet the requirements of the engine running on a particular hardware target.

I think the main difference between the demo and the actual game, is the sence of danger from the aliens, and the tension of the gameplay, as well as the graphics.

But, wiht the exception fo the graphics, that stuff is hard to quantify. Just because you cna run through the level and the aliens will ignore you, doesn't mean that you can't play it slowly to reproduce the tensions fo a stealth game. Also, the graphics thing is laughable. now a days, 9/10 games show either pre-render CGI, or the Pc version, or the console version PRE optimization running on a dev kit PC. Most of the footage of games on TV/online is never what the actual game will look like on an 8 year old console.

I'm not saying this game was good. It was a horrible, buggy, embarrasing piee of cr@p and a total cash grab. But that's why we have reviews. You wait for a review or walkthrough, many of which came out the day of release, or even before, and THEN you decide whether to purchase a game or not.

The day the game came out, unless you were an idiot, you KNEW it was a piece of Cr@p.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#29 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Good, I hope it costs Gearbox a ton of money, never buying another game from them ever again. Try and play us once (Duke Nukem), ok... but try to do it twice? (aliens CM), **** you gearbox

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
Good. I was disappointed that they game turned out the way it did. I wont buy another gearbox game. Heil68
Damn right, Heil. Damn right. Hope they lose. It's one thing to make a bad game. It's another to outright lie to people. Never buying another Gearbox product either way.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]Good. I was disappointed that they game turned out the way it did. I wont buy another gearbox game. DarkLink77
Damn right, Heil. Damn right. Hope they lose. It's one thing to make a bad game. It's another to outright lie to people. Never buying another Gearbox product either way.

I would say the same but.... they just got the Homeworld IP :(
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Class Action Lawsuits = no one wins any real money.

The chances of winning are slim.  How many movie trailers etc., are misleading?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"]Good. I was disappointed that they game turned out the way it did. I wont buy another gearbox game. AcidSoldner

Lol like the Borderlands Factory can do something good with it.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

So perhaps Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games should be sued also (along with many others) after all everyone has seen the E3 Uncharted and Kill Zone screen shots directly compared to the actually released product.

GarGx1

Been thinking the same, after all, shouldn't showcasing the demoes being played on the high-end PCs and passing them off as console footage on E3 and similiar large events be considered false advertising as well?

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcidSoldner
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Damn right, Heil. Damn right. Hope they lose. It's one thing to make a bad game. It's another to outright lie to people. Never buying another Gearbox product either way.

You're probably right but it's just been so damn long. Hell, I bought Duke Nukem Forever and despite it's shittyness, I enjoyed it for what it was.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidSoldner

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

Rocker6

Been thinking the same, after all, shouldn't showcasing the demoes being played on the high-end PCs and passing them off as console footage on E3 and similiar large events be considered false advertising as well?

The Halo 2 E3 2003 demo. Still makes me sad.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Animal-Mother
This is why I don't think they're going to win. Works in progress are just that. To be honest, I was hoping that the makers of The War Z would be the ones to get sued. Colonial Marines' false advertising was nothing compared to those guys.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]I would say the same but.... they just got the Homeworld IP :(AcidSoldner

You're probably right but it's just been so damn long. Hell, I bought Duke Nukem Forever and despite it's shittyness, I enjoyed it for what it was.

I enjoyed DNF a lot more than I should. But I credit that to 3D Realms and Triptych, not the Borderlands Factory.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 R4gn4r0k  Online

Precislye because they don't want to be accused of misleading consumers/the press.

Kinthalis

Misleading ? How is actual game development misleading ?

Because most games don't come together until very late in the development cycle. Some games, even a few months before they officially come out, are essentially broken and unoptimized. 

Kinthalis

That's true. I'm not saying they can't make a fabricated video. But I am saying though that it should not be totally different from the final game and be claimed to be 'actual in-game footage' or 'actual gameplay' as was the case here.

How can a controled, demo, ever get the point of "fun" accross? And how do you quantify "fun" anyway? Animaitons and graphics were better, because they hadn't been optomized yet. Most artistic development is done with high quality assets, and are then optimized (dumbed down essentially) to meet the requirements of the engine running on a particular hardware target.

I think the main difference between the demo and the actual game, is the sence of danger from the aliens, and the tension of the gameplay, as well as the graphics.

But, wiht the exception fo the graphics, that stuff is hard to quantify. Just because you cna run through the level and the aliens will ignore you, doesn't mean that you can't play it slowly to reproduce the tensions fo a stealth game. Also, the graphics thing is laughable. now a days, 9/10 games show either pre-render CGI, or the Pc version, or the console version PRE optimization running on a dev kit PC. Most of the footage of games on TV/online is never what the actual game will look like on an 8 year old console.

I'm not saying this game was good. It was a horrible, buggy, embarrasing piee of cr@p and a total cash grab. But that's why we have reviews. You wait for a review or walkthrough, many of which came out the day of release, or even before, and THEN you decide whether to purchase a game or not.

The day the game came out, unless you were an idiot, you KNEW it was a piece of Cr@p.

Kinthalis

There weren't any reviews out before the release. Because of an embargo. That is part of the lawsuit too.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Poor Sega. They need to cut all ties with hillbilly Randy

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts

Poor Sega. They need to cut all ties with hillbilly Randy

RR360DD
that would be a pretty good business decision imo
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

Normally something like this would really chap my hide. I would see it as indicative of consumers being whiny, complaining, and entitled. Just like how I saw the Mass Effect debacle. It was despicable.

However this is a case where I completely agree and I like that people are fighting back and that Sega (whom I love) will have to answer for this travesty. Not the travesty of making a bad game mind you, because as much as we would love it to be it's not actually a crime to make an unentertaining game. But the travesty of lying about what the final product would be. This was a widely publicized game in the recent year and they should have to answer for what happened. Hopefully not to the tune of 20 million dollars, but still. Don't lie about your product.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k  Online

Normally something like this would really chap my hide. I would see it as indicative of consumers being whiny, complaining, and entitled. Just like how I saw the Mass Effect debacle. It was despicable.

However this is a case where I completely agree and I like that people are fighting back and that Sega (whom I love) will have to answer for this travesty. Not the travesty of making a bad game mind you, because as much as we would love it to be it's not actually a crime to make an unentertaining game. But the travesty of lying about what the final product would be. This was a widely publicized game in the recent year and they should have to answer for what happened. Hopefully not to the tune of 20 million dollars, but still. Don't lie about your product.

Darth-Samus

Completely agree with what you said. Gamers can be whiny and entitled but in this case I think everyone that has seen the early trailers and the final product, can agree with this being wrong.

This shouldn't turn into a financial nightmare for either SEGA or Gearbox but I only hope they learn a lesson about misleading customers.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

[QUOTE="Darth-Samus"]

R4gn4r0k

Completely agree with what you said. Gamers can be whiny and entitled but in this case I think everyone that has seen the early trailers and the final product, can agree with this being wrong.

This shouldn't turn into a financial nightmare for either SEGA or Gearbox but I only hope they learn a lesson about misleading customers.

I do think that Sega and Gearbox should face a stiff enough penalty that they learn a lesson from this but most definitely not enough that it severely damages either company and puts people lively hoods at risk. (damaged reputations are a lot harder to repair)

Sega have some awsome developers in their stable and Gearbox are capable of making good games, at least when Randy 'Lying Bastard' Pitchford stops spouting bs about every game that Gearbox are involved with. (apparently Mr Pitchford doesn't like being called a liar, which to me is just another example of his aversion to the truth :P )

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Saw this one coming a mile away.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

[QUOTE="GarGx1"]

Rocker6

while you're at it don't forget Alan Wake, Halo Reach and Fable...

Noone deserves to get sued more for false advertising than Lionhead

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#47 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

The War Z or whatever was much worse. Never heard anything about someone doing something, probably because it wasn't made by a big company.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#48 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

R4gn4r0k

They didn't claim the Killzone demo was gameplay. Though they did claim it was running on PS3 hardware, which was a lie.

Even if it was a video it could still be "running" on the PS3 blu-ray = hardware so... it was not a lie :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

does this mean that we can sue Epic for that Mad world trailer too?

HAlf joke aside I disagree with suing, but I can understand the people doing it, and cheering on.

We were shown a great many things of ALiens: Colonial marines, and we got pretty much nothing of what was shown, which IS false advertising. The difference between the above, and A:CM was that in no way did Epic state that that trailer was gameplay, Gearbox did.

To blame though? little idea, Sega supervised, and gearbox made aswell as outsourced. One could blame Sega for not keeping a better eye, or question Gearbox where all those gameplay trailers' assets went.

But suing? *sigh* Gearbox allready suffered an enourmous blow to their credibility, and SEGA likely did not make a return on all those years of investments. The game was just pure poison allround to anyone involved including those who bought it.

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#50 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

Geeze, you people are an entitled bunch, aren't you?