Sega: Yakuza 5 might not get a western release

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I worked on Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza: Dead Souls here at SEGA of America, so I hear you on it feeling a little strange to not have one releasing this March. Right now the best thing that can be done is to help spread the word on the series tell your friends or others you think might enjoy them, and have them grab a copy of Y4 or Dead Souls.

No news of any announcements, but thanks in advance to yourself (and all the Yakuza fans) who are still pushing hard to support the series here. Its great to see that dedication.

SEGA

The bastards have published every single Yakuza game but they are gonna skip on their best one. Can you believe that bullcrap? No wonder the idiots almost went down after the Dreamcast... One bad decision after the other.

Everybody and their mothers knew that Dead Souls was a bad game (gameplay wise, story was good) and that it was going to flop so why punish the fans like this?

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
It would be stupid if it didn't come because that dumb Zombie game didn't sell.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Well, this is legitimately disappointing. 

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#4 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41576 Posts
And SEGA's controversial status just hikes up. doesn't it?
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
It seems like SEGA's console games just don't sell anymore. It might not be long before they are only publishing PC games and Sonic the Hedgehog in the west.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Japanese games have been going downhill in the West this whole generation except for big brand name franchises from companies like Nintendo. People better get used to it and learn Japanese if you're huge into niche Japanese games.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#7 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

what sega ,,i just got into 3 and 4 screw off

Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

It'll come just wait and see.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FlamesOfGrey

Promised_Trini

If this or Yakuza HD does come out outside of Japan you better have 20 gigs of space free on your harddrive because it'll be digital only. Sega already said they're going mostly digital and Yakuza doesn't sale well enough in the West to justify full retail releases with Sega current finanical state.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

I don't get why they choose to keep it exclusive in this type of scenario.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Ly_the_Fairy
Yeah, putting the series on steam seems like a no-brainer here.
Promised_Trini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Promised_Trini
Member since 2008 • 3651 Posts

[QUOTE="Promised_Trini"]

FlamesOfGrey

If this or Yakuza HD does come out outside of Japan you better have 20 gigs of space free on your harddrive because it'll be digital only. Sega already said they're going mostly digital and Yakuza doesn't sale well enough in the West to justify full retail releases with Sega current finanical state.

Dude I got a big Hard drive in my Slim PS3.So I am not to worry.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FlamesOfGrey

Ly_the_Fairy
Because the game sales well enough in Japan on PS3 / PSP alone to justify it and the developer wants it exclusive to Sony as he has said it the past. Yakuza has sold great in Japan exclusively on Sony's systems. Yakuza sells mediocore to poor outside of Japan which in the end really doesn't matter because Yakuza wouldn't sell any better on 360 or Wii. I doubt PC gamer would be buying Yakuza in huge numbers also.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

FlamesOfGrey

Because the game sales well enough in Japan on PS3 / PSP alone to justify it and the developer wants it exclusive to Sony as he has said it the past. Yakuza has sold great in Japan exclusively on Sony's systems. Yakuza sells mediocore to poor outside of Japan which in the end really doesn't matter because Yakuza wouldn't sell any better on 360 or Wii. I doubt PC gamer would be buying Yakuza in huge numbers also.

It doesn't sell well in the west because the PS3 isn't the dominant console in the west like it is in Japan.

Their choice to keep it exclusive is only hurting what fanbase they do have.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

It doesn't sell well in the west because the PS3 isn't the dominant console in the west like it is in Japan.

No, it doesn't sell well in the West because it is a niche Japanese Beat'em up sandbox game set in Japan about the Japanese mafia that only has Japanese dialog with English Subtitles. PS3 outsells the 360 in the West with the majority of multiplatform Japanese games especially niche ones and the Wii's 3rd Party sales were trash except for a few games. What would Sega gain exactly by going multiplatform except for some tiny sales?
timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#16 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

That would be lame if it doesn't come over here.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
I've never played a Yakuza game :?
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ly_the_Fairy

[QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"] Because the game sales well enough in Japan on PS3 / PSP alone to justify it and the developer wants it exclusive to Sony as he has said it the past. Yakuza has sold great in Japan exclusively on Sony's systems. Yakuza sells mediocore to poor outside of Japan which in the end really doesn't matter because Yakuza wouldn't sell any better on 360 or Wii. I doubt PC gamer would be buying Yakuza in huge numbers also.FlamesOfGrey

No, it doesn't sell well in the West because it is a niche Japanese Beat'em up sandbox game set in Japan about the Japanese mafia that only has Japanese dialog with English Subtitles. PS3 outsells the 360 in the West with the majority of multiplatform Japanese games especially niche ones and the Wii's 3rd Party sales were trash except for a few games. What would Sega gain exactly by going multiplatform except for some tiny sales?

The strategy of going multiplatform has worked out so well for pretty much every other Japanese developer.

It's a bit silly to think that Yakuza would be different.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="Ly_the_Fairy"]

Ly_the_Fairy

The strategy of going multiplatform has worked out so well for pretty much every other Japanese developer.

It's a bit silly to think that Yakuza would be different.

It's worked out well for the major Japanese developers that have big brand names behind them like Capcom and Square-Enix. It hasn't worked out very well for niche Japanese developers which is why alot of them who used to do multiplatform games with the 360 in Japan early on no longer do so.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

Gaijin dont get it unless they are huge weeaboos ( no insult intended)

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FlamesOfGrey

osirisx3
You can say that about 90% of Japanese games considering most don't sell well in the West in the first place. Alot of people take the success of Nintendo and a couple of IP's from Capcom / Namco / Square-Enix and act like it's the norm but it really isn't.
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheTolemac
Member since 2013 • 94 Posts
The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheTolemac
[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

FlamesOfGrey
You can say that about 90% of Japanese games considering most don't sell well in the West in the first place. Alot of people take the success of Nintendo and a couple of IP's from Capcom / Namco / Square-Enix and act like it's the norm but it really isn't.

A lot of them actually sell more than the japanese counterparts, but with international shipments and translation the numbers aren't enough to bring in profit.
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

That will be such a bummer if it doesn´t come out,I really like the series and Y5 is one of those console games that I really want to play,even though DS was mediocre as hell I still enjoyed it.

But on the other hand I won´t be that surprised if it doesn´t come,sega is becoming a very PC oriented publisher in the west and since most of their console stuff apparently doesn´t make much money in comparison it´s not hard to understand why they may skip this,still a freaking shame if they do.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Nononononononono

Yakuza 4 is one of my favorite games this gen. :(

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FlamesOfGrey

The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.TheTolemac

Yakuza 4 was better then 3. Dead Souls was average but it was a spin-off and not part of the main series. Yakuza 5 outside of Haruka's parts is great.

Black Ops outselling Yakuza in Japan proof? If you mean in the West no **** it's COD.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#27 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="TheTolemac"]The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.

Yakuza 4 was better then 3. Dead Souls was average but it was a spin-off and not part of the main series. Yakuza 5 outside of Haruka's parts is great.

What´s wrong with the Haruka stuff? I know there´s a lot of minigames but is that all there is to it? No regular gameplay with her?
TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheTolemac

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"]The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.FlamesOfGrey

Black Ops outselling Yakuza in Japan proof? If you mean in the West no **** it's COD.

You just posted results that shows that B2 outsold Pokemon, 3Dland, and Yakuza among others 3 weeks in a row.
FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FlamesOfGrey
[QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

[QUOTE="TheTolemac"]The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.TheTolemac

You just posted results that shows that B2 outsold Pokemon, 3Dland, and Yakuza among others 3 weeks in a row.

Look at overall sales.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

osirisx3

To have a disclaimer like that, then use terms that are inherently derogatory (not to mention incomprehensible by most)...seems contradictory.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FlamesOfGrey

[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

Gxgear

To have a disclaimer like that, then use terms that are inherently derogatory (not to mention incomprehensible by most)...seems contradictory.

Most people who use those terms online don't even know what they mean. Even if they do, using those terms is flat out stupid just like racial slurs.

TheTolemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheTolemac
[QUOTE="TheTolemac"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"]

FlamesOfGrey

Look at overall sales.

That excuse doesn't work. BopsII was all the way down the list now it's topping charts. Animal Crossing has almost outsold both main mario games overall sales and is double almost everything elses. Explain Blackops jumping up to top the charts all of a sudden? Also why has Blackops outsold every individual Wii U game almost for 3 weeks in a row? Yakuza 4 itself, has around 500,000 sales, and has slowed to a halt, BO2 is holding out selling over !0,000+ every week, Yakuza barely made it near 5,000. Last week it was LESS than that. Seems lack of consumer interest.
MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="Arach666"][QUOTE="FlamesOfGrey"][QUOTE="TheTolemac"]The series gets worse and worse every entry even in Japan were BlackopsII has even outsold it many times in a row now. there is no point in releasing Yakuza 5 in the west when its failure rate is guaranteed. TC you need to realize no one is buying the game.

What´s wrong with the Haruka stuff? I know there´s a lot of minigames but is that all there is to it? No regular gameplay with her?

Yeah,I´d like to know that as well.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts
It would be stupid if it didn't come because that dumb Zombie game didn't sell.tagyhag
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts
I have no problem importing... but I'd much rather play it in English
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61532 Posts

That sucks. I still need to finish Yakuza 3, and all of 4. Not overly interested in the zombie one.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
Oh COME ON!!
PumpkinBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39 PumpkinBoogie
Member since 2006 • 3375 Posts

Well, this is legitimately disappointing. 

DarkLink77

Dammit, dammit, dammit......now THAT puts a damper on my gaming year. I was sooo hoping to hear an announcement for it to release. I'm honestly kinda pissed about this now. :evil:

Looks like I'm gonna have to go to go back to my ol' skool backup plan: importing it. Sh**, that always takes an extra hit on the purse strings though.....

Armoured_Mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Armoured_Mage
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

I hope this isnt true, this sucks ass.

I hope it isnt because of the zombie game, selling that here was kind of silly because yakuza games tend to sell to people that like yakuza which quite a small crowd, splitting that further by trying to appeal to people who like yakuza and zombies was never going to work.

Really got into 3 and 4, 4 is one of the best games Ive ever played, 3 is almost as good but alot more difficult. If they had combined the difficulty of 3 and the overal experience of 4 it would possibly be the best game ive played.

Im not a big fan of digital distribution but if they put it up i would buy it that way happily.

If this is the rumours that are coming out I get the feeling that means Yakuza HD definitely wont be coming out.

...damn.

monixchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 monixchi
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
my heart. :FEELS:
freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
What bullshit.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

they couldn't even bother putting kenzan up out here so I'm not surprised by this. but its weird that that atlus can localize their game(though it isn't perfect cause there is no Atlus Europe or something) and not expect high sales but someone like sega who is bigger company cant

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
This doesn't get localized but Miku does XD
g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

I take it getting the imported one is not in english subtitles?
So that rules that out...
How else am I going to play this awesome game, learn fluent japanese?

Very Disappointing Sega... No Shenmue 3 and now No Yakuza 5?