SEGA has announced that they are taking the fight back to Nintendo.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigGamerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BigGamerDude
Member since 2015 • 2073 Posts

http://www.alphr.com/games/1004011/sega-s-mini-mega-drive-consoles-take-the-fight-to-nintendo

Thoughts?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Just lol .... Though the ability to use your old cartridges making it appealing for collection purposes.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

My thoughts are these things are garbage, they're made by a company called @Games and all of these "journalists" are incredible idiots because these things have been in stores for several years.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Hopefully Sega can get some sales too from the hype.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

Check out the SEGABits review of this thing on YouTube and you'll see why it's really a waste of time for a serious collector.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

My thoughts are these things are garbage, they're made by a company called @Games and all of these "journalists" are incredible idiots because these things have been in stores for several years.

Yeah, those Sega ones are garbage.

I wonder if the Nintendo mini NES is made by that same company too? At least Nintendo announced theirs though, so it seems the Nintendo one is actually an official product. All those other systems (Atari, Megadrive, Intellevision) seem to be licensing deals only. Hopefully that "officially licensed product" means it's of better quality (i.e. closer to perfect emulation, and better quality controllers that will last). Most retro systems are garbage that belong in wal-marts and drug stores. I could live with slightly imperfect emulation if the controllers felt like the real deal, but usually they aren't even close.

In either case, I'll proably try to get the NES mini. But I'm more lukewarm about it, I'm mostly just hoping the quality is good enough that I'll care about an SNES version. If the quality is there, I'm really looking forward to an SNES mini - and hopefully they add SD card slot on that one (with ability to add my own ROM's). Knowing Nintendo that last bit is probably wishful thinking, but even if it's a "closed" system 30 of the top Nintendo SNES games and good quality SNES replica controllers would be cool in my book.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@2Chalupas said:
@dynamitecop said:

I wonder if the Nintendo mini NES is made by that same company too? At least Nintendo announced theirs though, so it seems the Nintendo one is actually an official product. All those other systems (Atari, Megadrive, Intellevision) seem to be licensing deals only. Hopefully that "officially licensed product" means it's of better quality (i.e. closer to perfect emulation, and better quality controllers that will last). Most retro systems are garbage that belong in wal-marts and drug stores. I could live with slightly imperfect emulation if the controllers felt like the real deal, but usually they aren't even close.

Honestly, at this point I would just saying buy a Retron 5 and be done with it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44685 Posts

you noob, they've had these for years

I know UrbanOutfitters have been selling them as part of their hipster accessories collection for quite a while, right there next to their records players, Polaroid cameras, and Miley Cyrus vinyl albums

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#9 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

This is actually nothing new to Sega though. They've been releasing those consoles for a long time now.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@2Chalupas said:
@dynamitecop said:

Honestly, at this point I would just saying buy a Retron 5 and be done with it.

Yeah, I actully have a ton of NES carts. I should probably get one of those Retron 5 someday just to see if the cartridges still work (I still have my NES system too, but it's ability to read any cartridge was long gone many years ago - and I'll probably never fix it).

I stupidly got rid of all my SNES games a several years back. I made pretty good money for a few of them, but I still kind of regret it. Of course, unlike the NES where I have a ton of classics, I really only had a handful of the SNES classics anyway. That's probably why I'd have alot more interest in the SNES system. I actually had a few games I'd want to play for the 1st time (and I'd like to do it on a "real" SNES controller if possible, not a fake one).

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

Another source

http://gonintendo.com/stories/262154-pr-sega-mega-drive-classic-home-console-and-ultimate-portable-h

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

The reason this sucks and the mini NES is awesome is that the mini NES actually looks like a mini NES which makes it a cool collector's item. Sega's micro console does not look like a mini Genesis; if it did and was actually made by Sega themselves and not just licensed to some other company to make then I would love to buy it, but since it is not, I won't be purchasing it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17694 Posts

Ah, I remember the good ol' days of Sega and Nintendo rivalry. Perfect opposite sides of the same coin.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

Sega does what NintenDON'T

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#15 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

These have been on the market for years now. Find them at your local drugstore around the holidays.

They even had a Genesis/Wii hybrid(which was shit. lol). Contrary to what some people are saying, the Ultimate portable version is actually really good. I had the 2014 version and it was comfortable, rechargeable, and had a sd-card expansion slot for $40. Great piece of hardware.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Hopefully Nintendo's is actually good

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Just another attempt of the media with their make-believe to undermine whatever Nintendo does. I wonder what their source of this information is.

@GameboyTroy said:

Another source

http://gonintendo.com/stories/262154-pr-sega-mega-drive-classic-home-console-and-ultimate-portable-h

That is just a product description from a store.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

I have one, and it sucks. The quality sucks, as you're stuck with ancient composite video quality, so the games look stretched as fuq, as well as how blurry and the sound quality is bad since it only comes with a left composite cable. Also, the controls feel so small and cheap and are breakable, also finding aaa batteries can be annoying.

At least with the NES Mini, it looks authentic, has an hdmi cable for more stable visuals on a hdtv, and at least the controls look durable and will be able to be used on wii controls for vc titles.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 874 Posts

Looks cool! Nintendo vs Sega battle it once more. Is like the 90's all over again :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The Mini NES is made by Nintendo. It's legit.

This is not made by Sega nor does it look like a genesis.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#22  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

The Mini Mega Drive supports cartridges and SD cards, whereas the Mini NES doesn't... Once again, Sega does what Nintendon't.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#23 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@biggamerdude:

I dunno about Megadrive but I'm definitely going to get the mini NES. I hope they keep this going until they reach SNES and Genesis.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I still have my Genesis from nearly 25 years ago and it still works perfectly. I'll stick with it.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

These have been around, in one form or another, for years. Sega doesn't make them, they just license the rights to a third party.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@gamecubepad: That handheld Mega Drive looks beautiful.

It kinda looks like a fat model of PSP.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9740 Posts

If only Sega made the Mini Mega Drive themselves and make them be in 720p or 1080p.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts

Looks neat in concept, but too much to play now, let alone playing those ancient relics.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

100% this^

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21708 Posts

@remiks00 said:
@dynamitecop said:

100% this^

My opinion as well.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

@biggamerdude:

Those controllers tho.....

If I could only use them on PS4 for my fighting games...

gamecubepad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -12

#32 gamecubepad
Member since 2003 • 7214 Posts

@anthonyautumns:

It is shaped similar to the PSP, of course it's a bit lighter since it doesn't have a disc drive. I bought the sega portable version for my son since he loves Sonic and I was surprised how much I found myself using it. Runs .bin off the sd, so that speaks for itself.