Sega Genisis Mini

#1 Edited by DEVILinIRON (4926 posts) -

Are you planning to get the mini in September? Are there any games missing that you would like to see on the list of 42? What would you take off the list and replace it with?

I'm going to be getting it. Would have liked to have seen all the Phantasy Star games replace the Mickey Mouse games.

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (28342 posts) -

I’d like to get one but I probably won’t get it right away in September though as there’s some games coming out then that I’d rather get first.

#3 Posted by Phreek300 (656 posts) -

Most likely I will not be getting it. If it were a Saturn mini I would bought it in an instant. But emulating that system would require more work than Sega would think it is worth. Maybe some day.....

#4 Posted by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

I probably won't, seeing as I still own my original and I also have collections in various forms (PC, PSP, PS2). But it does look sweet

#5 Posted by DaVillain- (37412 posts) -

@DEVILinIRON: Nope, I have Sega Fusion on my PC.

#6 Posted by pyro1245 (5128 posts) -

Nah.

Like the other minis this should just be a collection of games on modern console stores.

There's nothing special about it - just software emulation, but crapper because it's an ARM version and not as mature as the emulators on x86. Plus the audio will not do justice to the original hardware.

I feel very strongly that this mini console trend is a negative one and would encourage anyone who really cares about playing retro games to seek other, more-better ways to do so. If you just want to play the games and don't care about the quality, just buy one of the many many Sega games collections already on modern consoles or PC.

Also check this out:

The best Megadrive clone controller by 8bitdo, I have one and it is fantastic - no doubt a better quality pad than the ones they are planning on for the mini. It's USB-C - 8bitdo knocked it out of the part with this one.

#7 Posted by Ibacai (13826 posts) -

Sega has done a great job of putting out game collections on various platforms, unlike Nintendo. So this is unnecessary for me and would just be wasted space near my TV.

#8 Posted by DEVILinIRON (4926 posts) -

@pyro1245: I read that the resolution will be at 720p. Does that make any difference to you?

#9 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

M2 doing the emulation has been a massive plus for me. The retro bit 6 button pads a must have for street fighter 2. The game library great too bloodlines and mega man huge additions.

#10 Edited by Solaryellow (5085 posts) -

@Ibacai said:

Sega has done a great job of putting out game collections on various platforms, unlike Nintendo. So this is unnecessary for me and would just be wasted space near my TV.

Going back generations Activision, Sega, etc.., gave us some really good compilations with some offering the old commercials as unlockables. Nintendo used to do a bit of compilation releases (Mario, Kirby, Metroid) but that seems to have stalled.

#11 Posted by Telekill (8537 posts) -

I still have my Genesis and am passing on the mini.

#12 Posted by Renegade_Fury (20620 posts) -

For collection purposes, I'll get this and either the Japanese or Asian versions. Game wise, there's nothing really on it that I don't have the cartridges of, but there are going to be some newly composed musical tracks from Yuzo Korshiro, so that'll be worth it alone.

#13 Posted by nintendoboy16 (36455 posts) -

Perhaps later, I want to see how it fares first. Don't want another PlayStation Mini situation.

#14 Posted by Jag85 (13595 posts) -
@robert_sparkes said:

M2 doing the emulation has been a massive plus for me. The retro bit 6 button pads a must have for street fighter 2. The game library great too bloodlines and mega man huge additions.

M2 have a solid reputation for Sega ports and remasters. I'm sure they'll do justice to the Mega Drive Mini... unlike AtGames.

#15 Posted by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

I still have the atgames flashback that thing is a joke to the sega name.

#16 Posted by gameofthering (11275 posts) -

I'm going to get it in October... because they delayed it :(

#17 Posted by Heirren (2179 posts) -

@Jag85:

Its a shame they didnt do the Sega Genesis collection. Its kind of strange seeing Sega Ages Sonic for $7.99 and then a 50 game genesis collection hitting sales of 20 or 30 dollars.

The m2 stuff is pretty good tho.

#18 Posted by lamprey263 (36172 posts) -

I will buy the currently available Genesis collections they've been recycling for years, has all the same stuff.