Sega Does what Nintendon't: Sega Ages Virtua Racing

#1 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (19784 posts) -

Yes, and I mean that on how Sega is handling their classic games better than Nintendo. Take a look at Virtua Racing, and how Sega's M2 team able to put the game in widescreen, 1080p (docked), 60 FPS, and include 8 player mode and implement online play. Also, check out Digital Foundry's video comparison from the original arcade to the Switch version

Also.... The game is right now only available to the Japanese eShop, but you can still download it, if you have a Japanese account.

#2 Edited by xantufrog (11608 posts) -

The Sega Ages line in general is really nicely done

#3 Posted by BoxRekt (1995 posts) -

Loved Virtua Racing on my 32X

#4 Edited by Renegade_Fury (20621 posts) -

VR Virtua Racing was one of my most played Saturn games as a kid, and yeah, M2 is amazing; I wish they'd put their SEGA Ages work on other platforms as well. I'm looking forward to playing multiplayer in Herzog Zwei next.

#5 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (19784 posts) -
@Renegade_Fury said:

VR Virtua Racing was one of my most played Saturn games as a kid, and yeah, M2 is amazing; I wish they'd put their SEGA Ages work on other platforms as well. I'm looking forward to playing multiplayer in Herzog Zwei next.

You're the better Sega fan than that jackamo fool.

There is a chance they could move the Ages line to other platforms as Sega projected losses at their financial brief. Who knows?

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (34272 posts) -

Sega makes the only enjoyable racing games if we're being honest.

Fun and accessible.

From Outrun in the 80's to Sonic All Stars Tansformed, good shit.

#8 Posted by dxmcat (2702 posts) -

Sega rally on saturn was pretty rad

#9 Posted by Raining51 (1142 posts) -

We might as well bring up Team sonic racing I guess?

#10 Posted by I_P_Daily (12273 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Fun and accessible.

Well since we're being honest, your opinion is worthless when it comes to racing games, stick to what you know, 2D fighters lol.

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (34272 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fun and accessible.

Well since we're being honest, your opinion is worthless when it comes to racing games, stick to what you know, 2D fighters lol.

The best racing games can be played with a keyboard.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#12 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9201 posts) -

I plan to get this when it hits the NA eshop, which I assume it will. We've gotten all the others except for this and Puyo Puyo(which I think will also get released) so far.

#13 Posted by mojito1988 (3671 posts) -

In my opinion nothing ever beat Mario Kart 64 4 player local battle mode. My friends and I would play that endlessly. So much fun.

#14 Posted by Bond007uk (924 posts) -

I just had to get this. Going as far as buying a 3000 yen card off play Asia. Could never afford the the Mega Drive version back in 93, I think it was £70 in the UK back then!!

#15 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -

I like what they have done. Reminds me of the PS2 version. This should at least be better resolution too but in a game like this the frame rate is more important so here's hoping they at least make sure it's 60fps.

#16 Posted by VFighter (5112 posts) -

Please bring that out on other platforms Sega!!!

#17 Edited by robert_sparkes (3218 posts) -

I'm hoping for a release on Xbox or PS4 not holding out much hope.

#18 Posted by gameofthering (11275 posts) -

The Switch is really just a Sega handheld for me.

#19 Posted by lamprey263 (36172 posts) -

While I would love to replay old Sega arcade classics, the idea of it coming to Switch has my first thoughts going in direction of - oh gawd how much do they want for this? If they are going to want a lot then at very least I hope they bundle this with like couple dozen other Sega arcade games, while at it, throw in Alien 3 The Gun, Star Wars arcade, Virtua Cop 1 and 2, Virtual Racing, Daytona USA, Virtual On, the Virtua Fighter series,

#20 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19784 posts) -
@DocSanchez said:

I like what they have done. Reminds me of the PS2 version. This should at least be better resolution too but in a game like this the frame rate is more important so here's hoping they at least make sure it's 60fps.

It is in 1080p docked, widescreen, and 60 FPS with 8-player local play mode

#21 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@DocSanchez said:

It is in 1080p docked, widescreen, and 60 FPS with 8-player local play mode

Good. Pity Outrun 2 doesnt get the same treatment!

#22 Posted by I_P_Daily (12273 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@i_p_daily said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Fun and accessible.

The best racing games can be played with a keyboard.

Revert to my first comment :)

#23 Posted by Bond007uk (924 posts) -

It's such a shame Sega no longer hold licenses for some of their other classic tiles. Which means of course, there's no chance of Sega Rally, Outrun 2 or some of their arcade back catalogue like the classic Scud Race.

We only have the port of the original Outrun because Sega modified the main car so that it's no longer a Ferrari Testarossa.

#24 Posted by I_P_Daily (12273 posts) -

Sega need to put this on Xbox as its the racers console of choice this gen, and leaving us out of the loop is borderline criminal :(

#25 Posted by Raining51 (1142 posts) -

Sega Ages is pretty unnecessary IMO Sega is better off investing themselves a different way.

#26 Posted by DocSanchez (5324 posts) -
@raining51 said:

Sega Ages is pretty unnecessary IMO Sega is better off investing themselves a different way.

It's not unnecessary at all. Crappy sonic platformers are unnecessary. Actually using the wealth of library they have is not.

#27 Posted by racastro65 (1081 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Yes!

Love OutRun.

https://youtu.be/oxrm_hZsWYA

#28 Posted by enzyme36 (4255 posts) -

Even if I own the OG versions in a bundle... if I see a game that I like is getting a Sega Ages version I will have to double dip.

#29 Edited by lamprey263 (36172 posts) -

And how much does Nintendo want for something that should be a $5 XBLA/PSN title?

#30 Posted by Heirren (2185 posts) -

@lamprey263:

$8. But it is really well done. The resolution is now 1080p, the framerate is now 60fps, and theres online play/8 player local coop.

The overdone Sonic The Hedgehog, with 50 different console releases, is a bit much at $8.

#31 Posted by Vaidream45 (1998 posts) -

They took the arcade version and made it look amazingly modern yet respectful to the original. M2 does it right.