Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

I don't have any strong thoughts, other than finding it intriguing that SEGA Sammy has that sort of cash at their disposal, but they have been on a turnaround for a decade at this point. As purely a business move, it's probably great for SEGA since the mobile market rakes in money like no other, and they haven't had a global hit despite many attempts (I liked Sonic Jump though). Rovio also makes $300 million annually, so the deal pays for itself, and they can now utilize SEGA IPs alongside Angry Birds, which you better believe will show up as a Like a Dragon mini game or in a Sonic movie crossover. Long term, this is likely going to be up there with the Creative Assembly, Relic, and Atlus acquisitions.

System Wars take: SEGA isn't getting bought out by Microsoft.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

k. SEGA focusing more on mobile sounds super lame, but whatever.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7200 Posts

What a waste of money.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@Litchie: They already have, like every other company, for a long time though. It's more about getting somebody who knows what they're doing, similarly as to how Atlus was able to cost efficiently localize their games. That acquisition essentially made Yakuza a thing in the west, because IPs like it and Valkyria Chronicles weren't coming anymore.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@mesome713: " What a waste of money."

Only time will tell.

@Renegade_Fury: "I don't have any strong thoughts, other than finding it intriguing that SEGA Sammy has that sort of cash at their disposal,"

The 1st thought I had too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38813 Posts

SEGA has been garbage for over a decade, so this is perfectly fitting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46238 Posts

@Litchie said:

Super moneky ball on phones where your gyroscope is used to steer the balls.

Think about it.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

People on here will think it's lame or a waste of money, but the mobile sector is GROWING.

Someone is buying all of these microtransactions, even if it isn't SW posters.

Sony, Nintendo and MS are all making huge investments in mobile.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45094 Posts

Come on Sega, Yu Suzuki needed like $20 million to make a decent Shenmue 3.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Renegade_Fury

@R4gn4r0k: I'd play the shit out of that lol.

@navyguy21 said:

People on here will think it's lame or a waste of money, but the mobile sector is GROWING.

That's the truth, but system wars is comprised of 99.9% old fogies that don't (want to) comprehend the modern day gaming landscape. Teens and people in their 20's have grown up with phone games, loot boxes, gatchas, etc. Games like Fortnite too are essentially these people's Super Mario Bros. 1 equivalent.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Litchie said:

Super moneky ball on phones where your gyroscope is used to steer the balls.

Think about it.

Could work pretty well, I suppose. Phone games are designed to milk you as much as possible though, so it would most likely be crap.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Sonic x Angry Birds crossover mobile game incoming.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Sega Sammy have a ton of cash... from pachinko! Sega Sammy have been making billions from selling pachinko machines in Japan. Their most successful pachinko line, Fist of the North Star, has earned many billions for Sega Sammy.

But it's worth keeping in mind that Angry Birds is nowhere near as popular today as it was a decade ago. So it didn't cost Sega Sammy that much to acquire them today. Rovio would've demanded far more when they were at their peak.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

Sonic x Angry Birds crossover mobile game incoming.

I can see that happening in both games & movies as Angry Birds already had their own movie.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Last_Lap  Online
Member since 2023 • 6025 Posts

So, Sega has the best IP's sitting dormant and spend three quarters of a billion on this garbage 🤦‍♂️

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Renegade_Fury

@Jag85 said:

Sega Sammy have a ton of cash... from pachinko! Sega Sammy have been making billions from selling pachinko machines in Japan. Their most successful pachinko line, Fist of the North Star, has earned many billions for Sega Sammy.

But it's worth keeping in mind that Angry Birds is nowhere near as popular today as it was a decade ago. So it didn't cost Sega Sammy that much to acquire them today. Rovio would've demanded far more when they were at their peak.

Yeah, I didn't know how large their pachinko reserves were still after the pandemic, but it's likely back up again. Also with the somewhat departure from arcades, SEGA needs to invest in other areas.

That's true about the Angry Birds IP. A couple of days ago, I was reading $1 billion as the buyout price, but if this was ten years ago, it would have been $2 billion easy. That's why the acquisition is good for Rovio too, because now they can utilize SEGA IPs, and possibly up their niche value, so it's a potential win-win for both.

@girlusocrazy said:

Yeah it's true, this news doesn't make sense to people who currently prefer console gaming. You're right that the casual market is much bigger than the core market. We are the niche.

Yeah, we are absolutely the niche. Casuals will never care, and what kids have been indoctrinated in has given them a very different perspective on what games are. There are good Mobile games and decent implementations of GAAS though, so I think that is something the older generation needs to get over too.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Jag85
@Renegade_Fury said:
@Jag85 said:

Yeah, I didn't know how large their pachinko reserves were still after the pandemic, but it's likely back up again. Also with the somewhat departure from arcades, SEGA needs to invest in other areas.

That's true about the Angry Birds IP. A couple of days ago, I was reading $1 billion as the buyout price, but if this was ten years ago, it would have been $2 billion easy. That's why the acquisition is good for Rovio too, because now they can utilize SEGA IPs, and possibly up their niche value, so it's a potential win-win for both.

That's true, the arcade and pachinko businesses took a hit during the pandemic. But they had large enough reserves from earlier years, and the pachinko business has been recovering:

Sega Sammy Holdings revises up FY23 guidance on strong pachinko, Korea IR results through December

Rovio probably would've charged a couple billions some 5-10 years ago. But nowadays, Rovio is worth less than $1 billion. As you said, however, this buyout could benefit both Sega and Rovio.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jag85
@Renegade_Fury said:

@R4gn4r0k: I'd play the shit out of that lol.

@navyguy21 said:

That's the truth, but system wars is comprised of 99.9% old fogies that don't (want to) comprehend the modern day gaming landscape. Teens and people in their 20's have grown up with phone games, loot boxes, gatchas, etc. Games like Fortnite too are essentially these people's Super Mario Bros. 1 equivalent.

There's a clear generation gap between Millennials and Zoomers. While Millennials grew up with consoles, computers, and arcades, Zoomers have grown up with mobiles and tablets. As a result, Zoomers generally have very different gaming preferences to Millennials. Many traditional video game companies are trying to draw larger Zoomer audiences by entering the mobile market, which is by far the largest sector of the video game industry.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I certainly understand why they would do this but it definitely does nothing for me so, meh. 🤷‍♂️

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Seems calculated like if Microsoft uses Candy Crush to try to launch its mobile store they'll want to acquire mobile IPs and they can either flip it at a profit, license it, or hope MS offers to buy Sega for it.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#25 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

It's not EA buying them. It's not MS buying Activision. Meh...

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Damn and here I am waiting for Skies of Arcadia and Shining Force remasters…. :(

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3219 Posts

Waste of money. Sega should've used that cash to bring back some older IPs instead.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@mesome713: 775 million does seem like a lot of money, but the mobile market IS very lucrative. At least 775 million completely pales in comparison to the ridiculous 70 billion price for Activision.