Sea Of Thieves is sitting at a 6.1 user rating on metacritic

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

i have high hopes for this game. not many MMO's start out great but they get there eventually. ill be picking this up once i figure out how the hell i get game pass

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#53  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

This is a given considering it's a high-profile Xbox game, or any big game for that matter will always get tons of hate there. With this game in particular the reviews are even more telling because how could anyone see everything in an online game in 1 day, it's not a 15 hour adventure game that they could have finished playing all night.

I love all the reactions this game is providing us, so many people trying to wrap their heads around it, what is it, which label do I use to bash it, etc. and a lot of the complaints are based on design choices, it's just a different kind of game from what is out there right now on consoles and it's cool seeing land in the vortex that is the Internet.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

LMAO "Among real gamers"? Sure, there's no fanboys putting 0/10 to 4/10 scores up. Fanboys that don't own the system they hate don't flood user reviews at all. Wow you are really stupid if you take user generated scores seriously at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

LMAO "Among real gamers"? Sure, there's no fanboys putting 0/10 to 4/10 reviews. Fanboys that don't own the system they hate don't flood user reviews at all. Wow you are really stupid if you take user generated scores seriously at all.

Some people agree more with the user reviews than critics. Especially for movies usually the audience might like or hate something more than the critics and I tend to agree iwth the users. Who is going to take the time to review a game they haven't played probably a slim amount imo

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By cainetao11

@ocinom said:

Never trust user scores on metacritic. Some accounts are newly made just to bump up the score and some are straight trolls by giving 0

Exactly.

At this point the game for me is 7/10. Its just good. I wish they had taken my repeated feedback last year that this game needs a CPU faction like the Royal Navy that could pop up and make things interesting.

Say you and crew are in a ship battle with another Galleon and suddenly 3 Royal Navy ships show up to clean the seas of Pirates. What do you do? Disengage and run, team up with the other pirates to fight the law? I kept suggesting this from last summer on after every Wednesday's alpha session.

Great idea, but it needs more compelling content to flesh it out. Being that the game is an online world I hope Rare plan on growing it.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#57 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9384 Posts

Damn... $60 and no cool single-player pirating campaign?

Metacritic scores are pretty useless though. The user scores are full of 'extremes'. Even the critic scores don't often covey their original meaning when you convert to a 0-10.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By cainetao11

@ProtossRushX said:
@cainetao11 said:

LMAO "Among real gamers"? Sure, there's no fanboys putting 0/10 to 4/10 reviews. Fanboys that don't own the system they hate don't flood user reviews at all. Wow you are really stupid if you take user generated scores seriously at all.

Some people agree more with the user reviews than critics. Especially for movies usually the audience might like or hate something more than the critics and I tend to agree iwth the users. Who is going to take the time to review a game they haven't played probably a slim amount imo

Well then those people are being intentionally dishonest with themselves if they don't consider PS fans will spam the scores lower for Xbox games and vice versa.

Really? You trust fanboys that much that you don't believe they spam each others games? I own a city block in Brooklyn. Its yours for $100. What do you say?

In the end I trust me. I'm the one paying for the game and spending my time with it. As I already posted the game needs more compelling content.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

User ratings are dumb.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43988 Posts

??? User reviews and on a game like this that literally just came out. Yeah, sure.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#61 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

pls just shutdown Rare...put it out of its misery

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 cainetao11

@lifelessablaze said:

pls just shutdown Rare...put it out of its misery

Whats your gamertag? Jump on SoT with me and my buddies.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

Its not doing so hot among real gamers out there.

It looks like Sea of thieves is being mocked for its 60 dollar price tag and being repetitive and lacking in content.

WE NEED TO KNOW the sales of this game physically if it doesn't chart on NPD rare will have to answer for that.

I saw the rare studio its a huge massive studio filled with 100's of people all working on this game.

IF it doesn't chart on NPD Microsoft will need to pull a lionhead on this developer who can't make games that sell.

God of War will chart npd Day's Gone will chart NPD, Spiderman will chart NPD.

Why are we letting rare get away with this trash that went straight to gamepass to cover up sales numbers.

for AAA advertised titles one has to substract 1 point from user scores and 2 points from reviewers score to get more accurate.

so its really 5.1? that is pretty bad given the hype

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Sea of Flops: Microsoft Studios

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#65 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@cainetao11 said:

Well then those people are being intentionally dishonest with themselves if they don't consider PS fans will spam the scores lower for Xbox games and vice versa.

Really? You trust fanboys that much that you don't believe they spam each others games? I own a city block in Brooklyn. Its yours for $100. What do you say?

In the end I trust me. I'm the one paying for the game and spending my time with it. As I already posted the game needs more compelling content.

This flips both ways as well. You may have PS fanboys that rank it a 0, but you also have xbox fanboys that give it a 10.

Champpsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Champpsz
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

@quadknight: Days Gone doesn't look bad, it just looks generic as hell. Probably will be a good game but doesn't look like a GOTY contender and doesn't look anywhere near as other Sony games like HZD/BB/GOW

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@champpsz said:

@quadknight: Days Gone doesn't look bad, it just looks generic as hell. Probably will be a good game but doesn't look like a GOTY contender and doesn't look anywhere near as other Sony games like HZD/BB/GOW

I agree. It looks pretty generic not bad.

Bad is something like Crackhead 3 that has received numerous delays already.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Hey it's up from the 4.8 on launch day!... But seriously, never go by user reviews on there. Better to look at Amazon user reviews that have a "verified purchase" next to it. And that's at 3/5 stars or a 6/10.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cainetao11

@Diddies said:
@cainetao11 said:
@ProtossRushX said:
@cainetao11 said:

This flips both ways as well. You may have PS fanboys that rank it a 0, but you also have xbox fanboys that give it a 10.

I believe I clearly said "and vice versa". I took it people would be intelligent enough to understand all sorts of bullshitting goes on in regards to user score average.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

LOL at the studio not letting people who spent $90 Canadian on this game to actually play it. What a joke.

Champpsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Champpsz
Member since 2018 • 23 Posts

@quadknight said:
@champpsz said:

Didn't the Never Ending Story aka Last Guardian get delayed a bunch of times and ended up in development hell for 8 years? At least Crackdown 3 has a viable excuse for being delayed and tbh I'd rather it get delayed for 10 more years and eventually become good rather than come out and flop into oblivion.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#72  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Some of my favourite games have terrible meta and user scores (No Man's Sky, Kingdom Come Deliverance, etc). User scores, in particular, are ridiculous. It's all about 10/10 from fanboys and 0/10 from haters.

Anyway, i'm pretty sure i would like Sea of Thieves, despite its flaws. I love the concept.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Cows are jelous all they get is movie games. lol true online or serious gaming on PS4 is out of the question, I love it.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@champpsz said:
@quadknight said:
@champpsz said:

Didn't the Never Ending Story aka Last Guardian get delayed a bunch of times and ended up in development hell for 8 years? At least Crackdown 3 has a viable excuse for being delayed and tbh I'd rather it get delayed for 10 more years and eventually become good rather than come out and flop into oblivion.

I’m okay with delays . Difference between Sony and MS is that they have a plethora of successful AAA games they have released or about to release so that when they delay games it doesn’t matter. Crackhead 3 is one of three games MS is supposedly launching this year after a particularly long dry spell in 2017, and it still doesn’t have a release date. You can’t tell me that’s not worrying.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 cainetao11

@zaryia said:

Cows are jelous all they get is movie games. lol true online or serious gaming on PS4 is out of the question, I love it.

LOL thats why they both have a purpose in my apartment. PS4 gives me a few exclusives Im interested in playing. But since Shawn Layden stated at PSX in Dec they don't care about MP, I'm not paying Sony any $ to access it. Xbox gives me the MP multiplats and great 1st party MP.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#76 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

No one knows what to think of this game yet. Because it's so heavily multi-player focused, and because the content is not confirmed, all judgments will change.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#77 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Okay so first review I've seen is from ACG who I have a lot of respect for. He basically says wait a LONG time and buy it in a sale. Good points are it's fun to play with friends for a few hours, main bad point is it has very little content and as he correctly points out they are asking $60 for the game as it is right now not how it might be a year down the road.

He actually describes the game as 'threadbare'. I'm not saying he's the final word on anything he's just a reviewer I like and he gives every game every chance. I've glanced at some other early youtube reviewers too and it just isn't looking good.

Lems who big this game up claiming to be having a merry old time sailing the seas and enjoying the life of a pirate exploring new and interesting lands are absolutely 100% full of big brown BS.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

The critic reviews are starting to be made.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/sea-of-thieves

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Xbox no.1 Fanatic predicted a 6 in an attempt to downplay if it scores poorly and say I want expecting much. If it scores well, he put on his Captain Save A H... Cape and get back to White Knighting as usual.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

Hey it's up from the 4.8 on launch day!... But seriously, never go by user reviews on there. Better to look at Amazon user reviews that have a "verified purchase" next to it. And that's at 3/5 stars or a 6/10.

Yes just look at all the dumb A$$ reviews on Amazon from people giving it a 1 star because they couldn't play the game, received it with a broken case or didn't realize they need live to play a online game.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@rrjim1: At least they actually spent $60 on it... If I did that and it didn't work, I'd give it a 1 star also. Same as anything else I buy on Amazon. Is it a fair score? Probably not. Is it fair for Rare to cut off new users from playing the game? Probably not. At least one of those 1 stars I read said they'd change it once they can actually play the game they just bought.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4861 Posts

I think the game needs a tutorial or a guided mission. I walked around for like 10 minutes collecting crap but not knowing what to do until i found the mermaid.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Let's use the sticky hype thread please to bemoan/rag on/defend: https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/set-sail-for-booty-cause-its-time-to-get-hype-for--33427243/#141

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

lol free to play game selling at full price.

telefanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 telefanatic
Member since 2007 • 3008 Posts

I for one will definitely try it since i got the gamepass. I loved Conkers Bad Fur Day back on N64 and hoping it will be same type of fun or close to it.