Sea of Thieves first review - 55/100, flop?

• 117 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

Poll Sea of Thieves first review - 55/100, flop? (80 votes)

Yes, huge flop 45%
Yes, flop 16%
Maybe 9%
No, game is still good 9%
Fake Critics 9%
I don't know 13%

We've been telling lemmings this for months. This might be the end of Rare.

CG games "Shallow, at time boring and incomplete"

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Yeah, but let's ignore the other review at 82/100. It's not going to score well, but stop being an f'ing moron.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

There really needs to be an SoT review thread. Also, the salt coming from that comment section has to be horrible for their high blood pressure.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Sea of failure is the biggest flop of 2018. This is th final nail in Rares coffin. Microsoft will shut them down.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

It’s definitely a flop. Makes you wonder what Rare was working on for 4 years. The meltdowns and damage control from lems when the GS review arrives will be hilarious.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Yeah, but let's ignore the other review at 82/100. It's not going to score well, but stop being an f'ing moron.

Damage control.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

According to Metacritic the first review is:

82/100Cheat Code CentralMar 21, 201882Sea of Thieves plots a course in the opposite direction of most big budget, predictable affairs. Loot is not about gaining power, and the thrill is in the voyage, not the destination. This may alienate some gamers, but it is a breath of fresh air for those willing to embrace the change. However, Rare will soon find the community clamoring for more content and improved social options to keep players invested and using their freedom to create limitless and fascinating stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

CG Mag Online? Cows, all you have to do is wait for the credible sites to drop their reviews and you will get your ownage. But Forbes and CG Mag Online are not the way to go about this.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cainetao11

@needhealing said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Damage control.

LMAO he's damage controlling by calling you out as liar? You did lie, its right on Metacritic for everyone to see.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Lol... geez you cows are a sad bunch. Go outside and get some fresh air.

Creepywelps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Creepywelps
Member since 2015 • 2964 Posts

Worth a Buy can settle this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAlH-6Bj1HU

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cainetao11

@goldenelementxl said:

CG Mag Online? Cows, all you have to do is wait for the credible sites to drop their reviews and you will get your ownage. But Forbes and CG Mag Online are not the way to go about this.

Right?

The first review is clearly listed and it isn't the one TC claims. The game will be as I said, 6/10 here, 60s to low 70s at meta

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

We know Xbox Fanatics will be outside getting fresh after this shit show.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Needhealing

@cainetao11 said:
@needhealing said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Damage control.

LMAO he's damage controlling by calling you out as liar? You did lie, its right on Metacritic for everyone to see.

Did i lie about the first review which was CG magazine? Second was the cheat code central one. Damage control.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 RicanV  Moderator
Member since 2011 • 2624 Posts

A little premature for this thread and I feel like it is inaccurate.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/sea-of-thieves - Per metacritic the first review would have been the one from Cheat Code Central which is 82 which would have changed the topic considerably if you based it off of the first review.

The common theme I am seeing in all reviews is that there is a lack of content with plenty of repetition and that the game feels like "early access." I think the game will suffer from the same things that No Mans Sky did. High expectations/lofty goals from the creators and consumers imagining a game that was never promised. It is unfortunate because this game did show promise and perhaps it can survive the initial backlash and grow into something great.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

Low quality Early Access game at full price.

The Microsoft way.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

@RicanV said:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/sea-of-thieves - Per metacritic the first review would have been the one from Cheat Code Central which is 82 which would have changed the topic considerably if you based it off of the first review.

The common theme I am seeing in all reviews is that there is a lack of content with plenty of repetition and that the game feels like "early access." I think the game will suffer from the same things that No Mans Sky did. High expectations/lofty goals from the creators and consumers imagining a game that was never promised. It is unfortunate because this game did show promise and perhaps it can survive the initial backlash and grow into something great.

Once again the @needhealing is a liar and just got WTF rekt! Once again Cows creating false narratives!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 QuadKnight

@Xabiss said:
@RicanV said:

Once again the @needhealing is a liar and just got WTF rekt! Once again Cows creating false narratives!

? I hope you are still around when the GS, IGN, etc. reviews start rolling in. I will personally call you out if you try to abandon SW when the other reviews start coming in.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Xabiss

@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@RicanV said:

? I hope you are still around when the GS, IGN, etc. reviews start rolling in. I will personally call you out if you try to abandon SW when the other reviews start coming in.

Please show me one thread were I hyped this game. I am just calling him out as a liar because he lied about the 1st review. Go check the other thread I already gave my piece about this game. Good lord again you fanboys creating more false narratives. WTF is wrong with you people!

So what will you be calling me out for exactly? Absolutely nothing!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By QuadKnight

@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@RicanV said:

Please show me one thread were I hyped this game. I am just calling him out as a liar because he lied about the 1st review. Go check the other thread I already gave my piece about this game. Good lord again you fanboys creating more false narratives. WTF is wrong with you people!

You're here damage controlling early bad reviews for the game. Who cares if it's the first or second review for the game? The game is flopping regardless. I'll personally call you out as one of the damage controlling lems.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

Lol any reviewer giving this game a 82 score out of 100, is just a paid shill at this point. Utterly lol worthy.

he will probably backtrack on it with lightning speed when everybody else releases the game. or he just didn't play much of it.

lifelessablaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 lifelessablaze
Member since 2017 • 1066 Posts

No one thought this was going to be amazing.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cainetao11

@needhealing said:
@cainetao11 said:
@needhealing said:
@lundy86_4 said:

Damage control.

Did i lie about the first review which was CG magazine? Second was the cheat code central one. Damage control.

Nope. As is clearly seen first review is green, that's Cheat Code Central.

Second is yellow, CGmagazine.

You're a liar.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xabiss
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@RicanV said:

You're here damage controlling market bad reviews for the game. I'll personally call you out as one of the damage controlling lems.

How exactly did I damage control the bad review? I called out the TC because the review he said was first was NOT first. Again you are making shit up to create your false narratives like usual. Look in the forbes thread which I created before this. I said that the game was not for me and it was shallow. So please STFU you are just making shit up to move your shit agenda.

Show me one thread that I made hyping this game.

BTW not a lem again creating false narratives!

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By QuadKnight
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:

You're here damage controlling market bad reviews for the game. I'll personally call you out as one of the damage controlling lems.

How exactly did I damage control the bad review? I called out the TC because the review he said was first was NOT first. Again you are making shit up to create your false narratives like usual. Look in the forbes thread which I created before this. I said that the game was not for me and it was shallow. So please STFU you are just making shit up to move your shit agenda.

So? A mistake the OP made that could have been easily made by anyone not paying close attention. The CG review is the second review anyway and one of the first reviews. None of it matters anyway, the game is flopping and OP is right for the most part. Your attempts to nail him based on some slight discrepancy in his thread title is lol worthy and reeks of desperate damage control.

Like I said, you better be around when the other reviews show up or else I'll be calling you out. You and your fellow lem bros have been hyping this turd for years and the day of reckoning is almost here. You can't tell me lems didn't hype this game after its been on "MS exclusive" game lists for over 4 years. Lems have been listing it as a reason to own Xbone for almost as long as I've been on this forum.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Xabiss

@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:

So? A mistake the OP made that could have been easily made by anyone not paying close attention. The CG review is the second review anyway and one of the first reviews. none of it matters anyway, the game is flopping and OP is right for the most part. Your attempts to nail him based on some slight discrepancy in his thread title is lol worthy and reeks of desperate damage control. Like I said, you better be around when the other reviews show up or else I'll be calling you out. You and your fellow lem bros have been hyping this turd for years and the day of reckoning is almost here. You can't tell me lems didn't hype this game after its been on "MS exclusive" game lists for over 4 years.

I will be around, but you are not calling me out for shit for something I never hyped. Until you show proof that I hyped this game you sir are just full of shit! I played the game it is very shallow in content and the game isnt for me. I am more of a solo player and this game really doesn't appeal to me. I will check it out again in 3/6 months because that is the beauty of Game Pass. Yes, the game will flop because it is not going to appeal to most people.

BTW many people in this thread are calling out that the TC lied. If you are going to post a topic you should make sure that shit is factual.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Needhealing

@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:

So? A mistake the OP made that could have been easily made by anyone not paying close attention. The CG review is the second review anyway and one of the first reviews. None of it matters anyway, the game is flopping and OP is right for the most part. Your attempts to nail him based on some slight discrepancy in his thread title is lol worthy and reeks of desperate damage control.

Like I said, you better be around when the other reviews show up or else I'll be calling you out. You and your fellow lem bros have been hyping this turd for years and the day of reckoning is almost here. You can't tell me lems didn't hype this game after its been on "MS exclusive" game lists for over 4 years. Lems have been listing it as a reason to own Xbone for almost as long as I've been on this forum.

Exactly. Oh wow, i made a mistake. That doesn't change the fact that the game is going to flop.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Needhealing

Update, third review 7/10. DIS GONNA BE GOOD. 69% metascore for now, lol.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58947 Posts

What a pathetic game.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xabiss

@needhealing said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:

Exactly. Oh wow, i made a mistake. That doesn't change the fact that the game is going to flop.

After playing the game I feel it is going to flop also. It is a shallow game that does not have much appeal to the solo player. With not a lot to do but grief people I think this is not going to appeal to most reviewers.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@Xabiss: How do you know which one was posted first? Cheat code central may have been the second review posted... There's a third now. It goes in order of score, not date or time.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

the eagerness of cows for this game to fail, and their generally shitty attitude on SoT threads in here, make me kinda ashamed to own a PS4 and be associated with these people in any way

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@needhealing: Ah so you did make a mistake... I just posted that maybe the CG review was the first posted... You could of had a case lol

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

Gamers are a sad toxic bunch....who wants games to be bad?

JJMarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JJMarley
Member since 2015 • 162 Posts

It's a fun game with friends. A challenge when solo. You really have to play it for yourself. The online gameplays/reviews don't do it justice. It ain't for everybody but that doesn't make it a bad game. People need to learn to form their own opinion from time to time.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Needhealing

@jtothamtothap said:

Gamers are a sad toxic bunch....who wants games to be bad?

What's the point of this board then?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01

@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@RicanV said:

You're here damage controlling early bad reviews for the game. Who cares if it's the first or second review for the game? The game is flopping regardless. I'll personally call you out as one of the damage controlling lems.

You have a sad, unfulfilling life don't you Quack... poor thing.

Go and play some games instead of trying to "call out lems".

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

@needhealing: there is no point to this board, that's why its dying out

Paradocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Paradocs
Member since 2015 • 264 Posts

How many Sea of Thieves threads do we need? I don't know about you guys, but I don't like talking about shit, personally..

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By QuadKnight

@with_teeth26: Cry harder. Where were you when lems laughing at 5Club and No Man’s Sky? GTFO here with that Kumbaya shit. This place is called “System Wars” for a reason not “Peace ‘n hugs”. The forum was made for the sole reason of receiving and dishing out ownage. You’re only crying now because the tables have suddenly turned on lems.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By QuadKnight

@hrt_rulz01: ? Says the clown damage controlling and crying because a game on his favorite piece of plastic flopped in reviews. I must have touched a certain salty nerve for you to come up with such an asshurt response.

Brockthellama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Brockthellama
Member since 2018 • 4 Posts

Yep, it's pretty much a bust. Also considering that it has been downgraded will not help either.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RicanV  Moderator

@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:
@Xabiss said:
@quadknight said:

I don't think anyone is doing damage control for the game. Numerical values are numerical values. This topic was intentional in order to try and establish the game as a flop. I would understand if there were a few reviews and the TC misread the color coded section but at the time of the post there were two reviews with a color coded indication of which was which. This wouldn't have mattered so much if the whole topic wasn't based off the 55 being the first review.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

@RicanV said:

Very accurate. I've played a few hours and I can honestly say I think I Have seen it all. Some experiences are more enjoyable but that has little to do with the content, and much to do with the company you play with.

I hope they add to it, for free of course. It's just a really mellow game and it's not outright terrible, it's just not worth it. Unless you have a really core group of three other friends to play with. Then, maybe, it might be worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

@quadknight: Simmer down man; taking this too serious...lmao.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hrt_rulz01
@quadknight said:

@hrt_rulz01: ? Says the clown damage controlling and crying because a game on his favorite piece of plastic flopped in reviews. I must have touched a certain salty nerve for you to come up with such an asshurt response.

Do you ever have a response that doesn't sound like a 12 year old wrote it? Anyway...

And as I've said ad nauseam on here, I couldn't give two sh*ts about Sea of Thieves. The game didn't interest me from the beginning. So I'm not "damage controlling" anything, cow. In all honesty, I hope the game doesn't do that great so Rare goes back to making SP games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69456 Posts

As it stands the game is very co-op and pvp centric but the game world size makes these two elements a bit light on the encounter side. Also as some have mentioned there is a lack of meat to the game. Its strange that it has been in development so long and the variety is lacking. The unwillingness to take vertical leveling is the main keep back but I also understand their reasoning for it. With that said, they could have explore other ways outside of cosmetic for leveling in the game.

RicanV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RicanV  Moderator

@mrbojangles25 said:
@RicanV said:

Very accurate. I've played a few hours and I can honestly say I think I Have seen it all. Some experiences are more enjoyable but that has little to do with the content, and much to do with the company you play with.

I hope they add to it, for free of course. It's just a really mellow game and it's not outright terrible, it's just not worth it. Unless you have a really core group of three other friends to play with. Then, maybe, it might be worth it.

I feel like this game could have thrived more if they would have advertised it as a free to play game up front and maybe married it to the new game pass service. That would have made the reviews kinder. The buy-in at this point also seems kind of high from what I have been reading which was the same thing that NMS suffered from. As a standalone product this should be around $30.00.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Needhealing

Damn, lemmings are triggered. This thread has a lot of swearing and exclamation points.

Avatar image for eyeboonseyebrow
EyeBoonsEyebrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EyeBoonsEyebrow
Member since 2018 • 280 Posts

It's sad how many flops Microsoft puts out. They just don't have any talented studios. Just Throw in the towel Phil

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This is a new low for cows. Hey mods can we lock these dopey SoT threads and keep the discussion to the hype thread???