Sea of Thieves Didn't Just Die | It Was Murdered

  • 75 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#1 Edited by Daredevils2k (2121 posts) -

Do people here at GS agree?

Avatar image for kali-b1rd
#2 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2242 posts) -

I just don't know how anyone who has had a good number of years playing games couldn't see this was going to flop from day 1.... the fact that we have these debates just seems idiotic.

An interesting concept, they could of made Sid Meier's Pirates! in multiplayer and had better results... by far.

Teased nothing about indepth mechanics or longetitivty ... just like No Mans Sky.

A wasted oppurtunity, if I was MS I'd try n sell the engine to Sid Meiers now... maybes Pirates! 2 would be a thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
#3 Edited by deactivated-5c18005f903a1 (4626 posts) -

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#4 Posted by Daredevils2k (2121 posts) -

@boycie said:

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

I really feeel sorry for lemmings this gen, they've been waiting since 2013 for a good game to hit their console of choice LOL

Avatar image for Litchie
#5 Posted by Litchie (24346 posts) -

It's not dead though.

Avatar image for tgob89
#6 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@boycie said:

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

GT has a rabid racing fanbase and even that game struggled at launch because of a lack of content with an 80M fanbase.

Is there a pre-built "fanbase" for Sea of Thieves to fall back on that will be patient WAIT for it to "get better" like there was for GT?

Even in GT's lacking phase, it still had tons people STILL PLAYING and could easily find games with people...can the same be said for SoT even now?

Point: You can't compare Sea of Thieves to GT in any way, the very comparison is kind of silly.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#7 Edited by Ant_17 (12904 posts) -

@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

GT has a rabid racing fanbase and even that game struggled at launch because of a lack of content with an 80M fanbase.

Is there a pre-built "fanbase" for Sea of Thieves to fall back on that will be patient WAIT for it to "get better" like there was for GT?

Even in GT's lacking phase, it still had tons people STILL PLAYING and could easily find games with people...can the same be said for SoT even now?

Point: You can't compare Sea of Thieves to GT in any way, the very comparison is kind of silly.

You can compare SOT to NMS.

Avatar image for tgob89
#8 Edited by tgob89 (2153 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:
@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

GT has a rabid racing fanbase and even that game struggled at launch because of a lack of content with an 80M fanbase.

Is there a pre-built "fanbase" for Sea of Thieves to fall back on that will be patient WAIT for it to "get better" like there was for GT?

Even in GT's lacking phase, it still had tons people STILL PLAYING and could easily find games with people...can the same be said for SoT even now?

Point: You can't compare Sea of Thieves to GT in any way, the very comparison is kind of silly.

You can compare SOT to NMS.

Yes, that's a much better comparison.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#10 Edited by Daredevils2k (2121 posts) -

@tgob89 said:
@Ant_17 said:
@tgob89 said:
@boycie said:

Big content update due next week. This game will get better over time, just like GTS did.

GT has a rabid racing fanbase and even that game struggled at launch because of a lack of content with an 80M fanbase.

Is there a pre-built "fanbase" for Sea of Thieves to fall back on that will be patient WAIT for it to "get better" like there was for GT?

Even in GT's lacking phase, it still had tons people STILL PLAYING and could easily find games with people...can the same be said for SoT even now?

Point: You can't compare Sea of Thieves to GT in any way, the very comparison is kind of silly.

You can compare SOT to NMS.

Yes, that's a much better comparison.

@boycie The difference between GT and Sea of Thieves is, GTis a racing game that has cars for you to race against, were sea of thieves is a open world game with nothing in it, but skeletons and oh treasure.

Avatar image for DragonfireXZ95
#11 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (25509 posts) -

Yeah, it's a pretty garbage game.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#12 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

I think the bottom line is, an online game that will cultivate a community through shared content absolutely needs a steady feed of content. People hype these games up, but the reality is that content comes up short because what these people actually want is a subscription model AAA MMORPG experience for $60. Sea of Thieves is just so bad that it underlines the point more easily. IMHO, I don't think the problem stops with SoT. Games like Destiny are also guilty AF.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
#13 Posted by stereointegrity (12149 posts) -

This game can only get better. Honestly it has such a big opportunity to bring in people and expand on its world. Once content starts to actually drop I'll Def pick it up

Avatar image for nomadic8280
#14 Posted by nomadic8280 (476 posts) -

Well that officially does it. Guy on YouTube with his opinion says it’s dead. Time to uninstall.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#15 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

Here were go again... get a life, seriously.

Avatar image for KungfuKitten
#16 Edited by KungfuKitten (26800 posts) -

Good video. The lack of content was the main culprit. If you run out of things to do within 4 hours (I literally played 4 hours with my dad and he said 'So, what else is there to do?') then the game doesn't stand a chance. Not just to stay alive, but they were asking 80 euro's for it.

@Shewgenja said:

I think the bottom line is, an online game that will cultivate a community through shared content absolutely needs a steady feed of content. People hype these games up, but the reality is that content comes up short because what these people actually want is a subscription model AAA MMORPG experience for $60. Sea of Thieves is just so bad that it underlines the point more easily. IMHO, I don't think the problem stops with SoT. Games like Destiny are also guilty AF.

If it had as much content as a normal AAA game people would have played it for weeks, and it would have been fine. Depending on what they're going for it didn't necessarily need a steady flow of updates or any updates at all. (I hear what you're saying about expectations, but they could have tempered that by giving for example a tally of the things that will be in the game. And/Or a roadmap post-launch.)

If they wanted to keep it alive for months they should've done as you suggest, and I don't even think that what they had at launch would have worked with that. People were interested for about 2 weeks. Not even a month. There was way too little to do for monthly updates to keep the game afloat. (I bet everyone on the team was aware of this too as the game shipped. I wonder when/where it went wrong.)

Avatar image for quadknight
#17 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -

? It never stood a chance.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31608 posts) -

Just save it's wave/sea technology and gaming will be just fine.

Avatar image for pdogg93
#19 Posted by pdogg93 (1678 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Avatar image for Pedro
#20 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

A game cannot be dead when the game has an active player base, scheduled content for the year and a content release as in a few days. Geesesh, the game is lacking but to mention that it's dead and lacking content a few days before its first content update seems rather retarded.

Avatar image for npiet1
#21 Posted by npiet1 (2527 posts) -

Its a bad game, is it really a surprise pvp was the only thing that interest me and its takes 4hours+ to find someone

Avatar image for nomadic8280
#22 Posted by nomadic8280 (476 posts) -

@Pedro said:

A game cannot be dead when the game has an active player base, scheduled content for the year and a content release as in a few days. Geesesh, the game is lacking but to mention that it's dead and lacking content a few days before its first content update seems rather retarded.

This particular YouTuber is having a slow year. Pretty sure Mass Effect: Andromeda kicked-off his "___ didn't just die, it was MURDERED!" schtick, and now he's looking for any under-performing AAA title to continue the series.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#23 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

Avatar image for quadknight
#24 Posted by QuadKnight (12916 posts) -
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

Your crying and thread whining says otherwise.

Avatar image for Pedro
#25 Edited by Pedro (35644 posts) -

Lol. Sony fannies are more interested in Xbox supposedly shitty games than Xbox gamers on this forum. LMAO. ??They cry everyday.???

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

@quadknight said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

Your crying and thread whining says otherwise.

Whatever you say Quack... never played it, never will.

Avatar image for BigBadBully
#27 Posted by BigBadBully (2166 posts) -

Fair points on the content but the game isn't murdered. He might not have had fun, but whenever i play with family, friends or randoms i always have a blast. If Rare doesnt keep up the promise of content updates like the Hungering Deep, then yes the game will be murdered/slaughtered.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#28 Posted by I_P_Daily (12577 posts) -

@daredevils2k: WOW that's some obsession you got going there, lay down on the couch and tell us where MS touched you as a child :(

Avatar image for onesiphorus
#29 Posted by onesiphorus (2945 posts) -

Can we require that the topic creator put some sort of discussion in his topic instead of leaving just an image or an embedded video? This is supposed to be a discussion forum!

TC, what do you think?

Avatar image for ten_pints
#30 Posted by Ten_Pints (3910 posts) -

Shhh don't cry. I hate it when they cry :-(

Avatar image for Pedro
#31 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@i_p_daily: @i_p_daily: Apparently it's not MS but MS fannies that made fun of Sony fannies last gen hurting their fweelings.?

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#32 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

@daredevils2k: WOW that's some obsession you got going there, lay down on the couch and tell us where MS touched you as a child :(

@Pedro said:

@i_p_daily: @i_p_daily: Apparently it's not MS but MS fannies that made fun of Sony fannies last gen hurting their fweelings.?

LMAO!!! They have some serious hate issues going on there I think... it seems deeply personal. I think they have a picture of Phil Spencer hanging on their walls and throw darts at it every night before bed & burn his eyes out with a cigarette.

Avatar image for Pedro
#33 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: They secretly masturbate to Phil because they are the only ones that talk about the guy and talk about heads up his asses and other strange stuff.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#34 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@hrt_rulz01: They secretly masturbate to Phil because they are the only ones that talk about the guy and talk about heads up his asses and other strange stuff.

Lmao.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#35 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12947 posts) -

With SoT and SoD2 both being flops its now up to Crackdown 3 to save the day.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#36 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5043 posts) -
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

This explains the Sea of Thieves experience in general.

Avatar image for kali-b1rd
#37 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2242 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

This explains the Sea of Thieves experience in general.

Which is why it is puzzeling that it keeps getting brought up.

Avatar image for Pedro
#38 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag: According to who?

Avatar image for Ant_17
#39 Posted by Ant_17 (12904 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

If you are tired, why haven't you made a thread about something?

Are lems punished here and don't have a "create thread" button?

Avatar image for Pedro
#40 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@Ant_17: Why do Sony fannies create more threads about the Xbox than PS4?

Avatar image for Ant_17
#41 Posted by Ant_17 (12904 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@Ant_17: Why do Sony fannies create more threads about the Xbox than PS4?

Cause lems are rare to find around here.

I think we just made a nice joke Pedro.

Avatar image for Pedro
#42 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@Ant_17: Rare? More like quiet not rare. The moment the Xbox gets any momentum they will be flocking in like Sony fannies; like yourself, to do the same shit.

Avatar image for Ant_17
#43 Edited by Ant_17 (12904 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@Ant_17: Rare? More like quiet not rare. The moment the Xbox gets any momentum they will be flocking in like Sony fannies; like yourself, to do the same shit.

I wish they do, cause if they don't then i would have to mock the sheep and those are some weirdos i don't want to talk to.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#44 Edited by BenjaminBanklin (5043 posts) -
@Pedro said:

@Ant_17: Why do Sony fannies create more threads about the Xbox than PS4?

Because your system is doing so poorly that it's an entertaining circus, and roasting it is more fun than anything the console offers now. Considering the fandom seems way more interested in putting out fires over getting good games. Either they need to put up a fight or leave the industry already. Because they and the fandom think they deserve a pat on the back everytime they come up with a new band-aid that doesn't involve making a good video game. Why is it up to us to try to light a fire under Xbox? You guys are the ones that own the console, you should be doing the complaining. And yes, we can still play games and do that at the same time.

Besides, every time someone puts up a positive Sony thread it's always, "LOL movie games! Attach rates! DERP A DERP!". Just dumb shit from people that have no argument to stand on that own the worst console in the biz. Xbox is so bad, and has been so very bad from the jump, that I've now formed a super low opinion of the people that stuck with it through all this time. Because I conclude they don't really like Xbox, they just hate Sony. But, really, they just hate themselves to let Microsoft continue to embarrass them this whole time.

Avatar image for getyeryayasout
#45 Posted by getyeryayasout (12531 posts) -

I played 3 hours while partied up with a buddy and usually there were two other random players rounding out our group. It was a fun 3 hours, too, but after dropping off our loot my buddy laughed and said, "Okay, that's it, you've done everything there is to do." A real shame.

Avatar image for Pedro
#46 Posted by Pedro (35644 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin: That essay must be very interesting.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#47 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (5043 posts) -
@Pedro said:

@BenjaminBanklin: That essay must be very interesting.

You asked a question, you got an answer. I don't care how much it hurts.

Avatar image for daredevils2k
#48 Posted by Daredevils2k (2121 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@i_p_daily said:

@daredevils2k: WOW that's some obsession you got going there, lay down on the couch and tell us where MS touched you as a child :(

@Pedro said:

@i_p_daily: @i_p_daily: Apparently it's not MS but MS fannies that made fun of Sony fannies last gen hurting their fweelings.?

LMAO!!! They have some serious hate issues going on there I think... it seems deeply personal. I think they have a picture of Phil Spencer hanging on their walls and throw darts at it every night before bed & burn his eyes out with a cigarette.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#49 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (19282 posts) -

@kali-b1rd said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@pdogg93 said:

@hrt_rulz01: bro this is system wars. Why post your pathetic ms defence force comments everytime there’s a PS4 vs xbox thread? This is literally the point of this forum. Xbox is getting its ass handed to them this entire generation. They deserve the beatdown. Stop crying about it.

Nobody's crying, fool. Couldn't give two sh*ts about SoT.

We just don't need the same topic repeated every second day. I know you cows love circle jerking each other over this sh*t but the rest of us are bored of it.

This explains the Sea of Thieves experience in general.

Which is why it is puzzeling that it keeps getting brought up.

Yep, my point exactly. If it's a boring flop of a game, then why keep talking about it? Strange people.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#50 Posted by lamprey263 (36209 posts) -

I've grown a dislike for this guy's videos and it's not even his opinions that bug me other than he doesn't seem to have any of his own, his videos seem nothing more than a regurgitation of the consensus that is the gaming mob, and nothing more.