Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#1 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

So, with the Anniversary update launching in 4 days is Sea of Thieves on the road to success or is it destine to repeat last year's empty oceans of nothingness?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I’ll check it out. As far as ‘sea of nothingness’, you couldn’t be more wrong. SoTs has a vibrant and active community. YouTube, Mixer, and Twitch videos and streamers generate hundreds and thousands of views.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pedro

@Sevenizz said:

I’ll check it out. As far as ‘sea of nothingness’, you couldn’t be more wrong. SoTs has a vibrant and active community. YouTube, Mixer, and Twitch videos and streamers generate hundreds and thousands of views.

LOL. You obviously didn't play the game if you think it wasn't a sea of nothingness.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@Pedro: Obviously I have since I check out every update and am subscribed to the dev team channel.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Unfortunately games need to give a good first-impression, which Sea of Thieves did not. It does not matter if a game like Sea of Thieves or No Man's Sky push all these updates in effort for better lasting impressions, the ship has already sailed for most of the player bases they could have had.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

At this point I don’t really care...much like NMS and Anthem if these companies wanna release games for full price and NOT calling it Early Access while pretending it’s a full game and they slowly over time add in all the expected content they will not get a penny from me. Can you imagine paying for a movie ticket to see a huge new blockbuster movie at full price but then 45 minutes into the movie it stops and says “return here in one year and you can see the rest of the movie”. It’s bad business practices and I wish gamers would stop giving these peeps your money so companies will begin making full games prior to release like they used to. Ok...rant over lol. Sorry, these kind of game releases really piss me off.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@Sevenizz: Game is dead on twitch. Summit was 90% of the viewership and he doesn't play any more.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@fedor said:

@Sevenizz: Game is dead on twitch. Summit was 90% of the viewership and he doesn't play any more.

Microsoft's checks stopped clearing.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3047 Posts

@vaidream45: You're not alone

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: Nope, as it turned out the devs and the community were a bunch of little bits that complained about him acting like a pirate in a pirate game. They have some little pirate code crap that's basically a safe space love letter to thin skinned gamers.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

My brother and friend just got into Sea of Thieves about a month ago, and it has become their everyday game. Every time I go over my brother's house, there is something crazy happening. I told him I'll get back into the game when this update comes; really interested in just going out there and fishing. I'll do some pirating in-between. Neither of them is really interested in the campaign, as they enjoy what is in the game now.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I'm not so bothered about the politics buzzing around Game Pass, to be honest. The standalone game shouldn't have launched at $60 but that happened.

Re. the actual topic: Arena's a good idea, and probably should have happened earlier. PvP ship action was what I was looking forward to most from SoT when it was announced, so it's nice to have some of that instant action here.

Tall Tales looks kind of interesting but I'd want to see some gameplay. SoT needs more enemy types and combat options, asap, IMO.

So yeah, I'm sort of interested, but I'm not about to take out a Game Pass sub just for this and the few other PC games available at the moment.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

I was going to ask when I saw the thread title, how is the community these days? I played it at launch and thought it was fun but it seemed kind of slow, kind of dead.

Thinking of giving it another go. Good to know the community is still active.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pedro

@Sevenizz said:

@Pedro: Obviously I have since I check out every update and am subscribed to the dev team channel.

Then you would have known that it was an ocean of nothingness. The fact that you avoided this is addressing its nothingness and focused on non game related things like game streaming and community is more proof this.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8014 Posts

Looks like a great update.. I've actually got back in a couple weeks ago after I saw what they were adding with this new content drop and it's impressive how much the game has evolved even before these new features are to be released..

Good stuff.. I'm glad to see the devs are continuing to support the game and I'm officially backed hooked.. Looking forward to April 30th

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

At least they're still supporting it so you can't fault Rare for that. Hopefully, it's not a repeat since there are people who do enjoy it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44547 Posts

Will be a good reason to play more, I still have a great bit of fun whenever I play this.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

My god how low lemmings have fallen last gen no self respected lemming would even dare talk about a game like this,much less celebrate its anniversary.

60 is the new 90 this gen.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

Very nice update, love jumping back on and playing, always something new and co-op shenanigans is the best. Going to be a great game to play over the years and carry on to next gen. Saw the sound guy got nominated for best original game score. Great game for all ages and simple to get into.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

I played it on gamepass for 10 hours on my One X. I loved the pirate theme, the visuals are nice and it was actually fun but after a few hours it got old.

All the quest I went on consist of finding treasure chest in which you get gold that allows you to buy outfits and weapons for your character. The problem is the items aren't any better they just look different which is pointless considering it's all in first person and can't even see your character unless you do emotes.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@dimebag667: cool name dude. Dimebag absolutely owned that instrument.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

if it would have launched like this it would have got way better reviews.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@KBFloYd: Yeah, no doubt. That's why I don't mind game delays so much if they're warranted, just look at Metroid for example.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pedro

@mandzilla said:

@KBFloYd: Yeah, no doubt. That's why I don't mind game delays so much if they're warranted, just look at Metroid for example.

Some delays doesn't make a difference look at Crackdown 3. :P

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@Pedro: Yup, even Terry Crews couldn't save that one. :(

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3047 Posts

@vaidream45: Yeah he was amazing

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@Pedro said:
@mandzilla said:

Some delays doesn't make a difference look at Crackdown 3. :P

Won't help much with this game either.

Most reviewers found the enemies and missions repetitive and poor loot with few interactions with other people being the best and worst part... So unless this update gives us more than just skeletons, and more mission variety with a bigger player count then I doubt the original reviews would have changed much if at all.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

The game is great fun. I got 1 month of Gamepass for free and then bought 2 more months for 2 dollars when they had that Gamepass dicount. I think I've got 50+ hours out of SoT so far. And I still feel like trying out the new stuff. Thinking about just buying the game, but waiting until it's cheaper. It's still around 45 bucks on cdkey websites. Too much. Microsoft Store's price of 65 euros is just laughable.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

The updates are just too slow. I played it with my dad for 2 days or so when it came out and we had some good laughs... but I remember about an hour into the game my dad asked "So what do we do now," and all I could say was: "More of what we just did." It needed a substantial content boost to be worth returning to.

Same with Apex Legends in a way. The game was great fun and I even bought that season pass thing. But the unlocks for the season pass were boring and progress very slow. I was hoping that they would have some Fortnite-tier updates ready to roll out some time after launch. We saw one or two new weapons I think? (The havoc?) and 1 new legend and that was cool, but couldn't hold my interest for more than a week or 2. I was hoping for maybe some interesting changes in the map. Or some event. But it was all kind of too little too late.

And I understand that the Fortnite team is hiring people as fast as they can. They are throwing people at that game to get the updates out as fast and as meaningful as possible. So I understand it's not fair to compare Apex Legends to Fortnite because we can't expect every game to do that, that is not feasible. But purely from a consumer perspective, I found that the games get boring and would advise future games of these types to have content ready for the 2 or so months after launch to surprise players with, IF they intend to keep people's attention for more than 2 months. Because once you drop a game it's tough to re-install it and get back into it. Most gamers move on.