uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58824 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-13-six-years-later-star-citizen-is-still-raking-it-in

Six years later, Star Citizen is still raking it in

Just under £300,000 made in just one day.

Star Citizen has been in development for six years and it still doesn't have a release date - but the money keeps flooding on in.

The space PC game, which has so far raised nearly $200m, recently held CitizenCon, a gathering of fans and developers for all things Star Citizen.

Off the back of that, the release of a new update, a flashy new trailer and the sale of some new spaceships, developer Cloud Imperium Games saw $379,254 flow into its coffers in just one day.

The following day, on the 11th October, CIG brought in around $320,000. And yesterday, 12th October, around $200,000 came in. Based on this trajectory, by the end of this week, around $1m will have been made.

This marks a giant jump in revenue for the Star Citizen norm. Each day this week prior to the 10th, the game pulled in around $21,000.

One of the things that's unique about Star Citizen is it makes public its revenue, which it's still calling crowdfunding, on its website, so you can see how much money is being made on a monthly, weekly, daily and even hourly basis.

Star Citizen makes the bulk of its money from the sale of virtual spaceships, some of which you can fly now, some you can't. At CitizenCon, CIG released a new spaceship available for a limited time only. The Valkyrie 2948 Liberator edition is only available until 14th October, and it costs £264. There's a bundle with the ship and a raft of extras, including lifetime insurance, for £536.

ome ships are considered so special you can't just buy it, you have to register your interest first. One of these is the Kraken, an enormous capital ship with enough room for 10 players that was revealed this week. Here's the in-universe explanation (when it comes to Star Citizen, pretty much everything's in-universe):

"Interested in commanding a flying fortress and redefining freedom? The Kraken is poised to take the stars by storm, but due to high demand, an extreme and unique production process, and specialized materials, Drake anticipates a limited quality of hulls will be available. Use the form below to register your interest in adding a Kraken to your fleet and changing the universe for the better."

"We offer pledge ships to help fund Star Citizen's development," CIG explains. "The funding received from events such as this allows us to include deeper features in the Star Citizen world. These ships will be obtainable in the final universe, and they are not required to start the game."

Star Citizen is a controversial project and its trials and tribulations are well documented. Still, there are enough people still willing to invest even now, six years after the project launched and with no release date in sight, that hundreds of thousands of pounds are made in just a single day. Fans, clearly, get it. Everyone else? Well, it's a bit of a head-scratcher.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

Now I get it. Citizen CON (As in scamcon) is basically an example of Cloud Imperiscam developing another another tech demo they spend thousands of dollars on, only to raise more scammy money. At this point, this is just getting insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

And you people are like: "Why publishers do use Microtransactions ? "

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blackhairedhero
Member since 2018 • 3231 Posts

PC gamers eat this shit up.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Low IQ console only gamers hate what it represents

Nearly reaching the marketing budget of a single annualised Call of Duty game

Four more years to reach the Final Fantasy XV development time

Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

To be fair, didn't Destiny have a 500 million total cost?

And I think I've already seen more content from SC than Destiny had....

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

I'm sure it will be an incredible game when it finally comes out.

It's funny though that nearly $200m has been raised so far over six years, and it still hasn't released. Meanwhile, India were able to send a satellite to orbit Mars for $74m.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

If anyone wants to see the full pledge data they need only look here.

By the way they brought in $563,317 on 11/10/18 and $241,234 on 12/11/18. To date they have raised $195,432,091 from crowd funding.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

By the way they brought in $563,317 on 11/10/18 and $241,234 on 12/11/18. To date they have raised $195,432,091 from crowd funding.

200mill , i wonder if they can reach 500 before the game is even released.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By m3dude1
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

@elitegaming247 said:
@PinchySkree said:

Nearly reaching the marketing budget of a single annualised call of duty game

I completely agree.

I'm playing the 3.3 PTU right now and it's great. Except for a few random server crashes it's a cool experience. Object Container Streaming and Network Bind Culling are working just like they said it would and I'm getting double the performance of what I used to get. It's crazy how nice the game is once you're finally hitting 60fps during multiplayer gameplay. Yea, the game is coming along slowly and it's expected since this is the most ambitious game ever created. No one is forcing people to throw money at the game and I'm sure the people throwing tons of money are the same people that would throw tons of money at any other game because they are rich. All the ships people are spending thousands on will be completely free once the game launches. These people are paying to get early access to them. I've never understood why people care about what others do with their money. Console plebs throw tons of money at lootboxes and micro transactions every year into scams like COD and GTA Online and yet no one cares.

Let people do what they want with their money. I'm not throwing my money away with the game. I spent $48 on a starter package 2 years ago and it gave me access to Star Citizen and Squadron 42 when they come out. Since then I've been chilling and enjoying hundred of hours in the alpha and the amount of gameplay time spent in the alpha is greater than the time I've spent on games like GTA Online. You can't beat that value in today's market especially when there are games like COD with $50 season passes in addition to loot boxes and they sill have the nerve to take out single player.

i wonder if youre even aware that "object container streaming" and "network bind culling" are things every console developer has been doing for over 10 years and are just fancy names for completely standard good coding practices. its hilarious that you think this is some amazing innovation. i legit laugh out loud every time dumb/clueless/ignorant hermits regurgitate cloud imperiums marketing drivel

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts

There's just no stopping this train now, for better or worse.

Can already see the same basic-b1tch idiots ... whoa the letters CON (Convention) are in the title of the event! SO CLEVERLY NOTICED... tools.

Elaisse2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Elaisse2
Member since 2013 • 43 Posts

Why should I care?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GarGx1
@Jacanuk said:
@GarGx1 said:

I'm not sure if you're serious but I do think C.I.G. will have brought in around $230 million (another year of funding at current backing levels) by the time Squadron 42 is released. If Squadron 42 delivers as is a fun game to play (we already know it's going to smoke everything in existence in the graphics department) then they may sell another 5 million copies ($60 per sale = $300,000,000). On the other hand they may well have the majority of people who want to play it on board already and they won't sell many more copies at all.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@GarGx1 said:

I'm not sure if you're serious but I do think C.I.G. will have brought in around $230 million (another year of funding at current backing levels) by the time Squadron 42 is released. If Squadron 42 delivers as is a fun game to play (we already know it's going to smoke everything in existence in the graphics department) then they may sell another 5 million copies ($60 per sale = $300,000,000). On the other hand they may well have the majority of people who want to play it on board already and they won't sell many more copies at all.

Hmm, so Squadron 42 is a new full game ? or is it just to please the sheep who can´t seem to get that Star Citizen is probably the biggest con job in the gaming industry.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I see citizencon did its job lol.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By m3dude1

@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:
@PinchySkree said:

Nearly reaching the marketing budget of a single annualised call of duty game

I completely agree.

I'm playing the 3.3 PTU right now and it's great. Except for a few random server crashes it's a cool experience. Object Container Streaming and Network Bind Culling are working just like they said it would and I'm getting double the performance of what I used to get. It's crazy how nice the game is once you're finally hitting 60fps during multiplayer gameplay. Yea, the game is coming along slowly and it's expected since this is the most ambitious game ever created. No one is forcing people to throw money at the game and I'm sure the people throwing tons of money are the same people that would throw tons of money at any other game because they are rich. All the ships people are spending thousands on will be completely free once the game launches. These people are paying to get early access to them. I've never understood why people care about what others do with their money. Console plebs throw tons of money at lootboxes and micro transactions every year into scams like COD and GTA Online and yet no one cares.

Let people do what they want with their money. I'm not throwing my money away with the game. I spent $48 on a starter package 2 years ago and it gave me access to Star Citizen and Squadron 42 when they come out. Since then I've been chilling and enjoying hundred of hours in the alpha and the amount of gameplay time spent in the alpha is greater than the time I've spent on games like GTA Online. You can't beat that value in today's market especially when there are games like COD with $50 season passes in addition to loot boxes and they sill have the nerve to take out single player.

i wonder if youre even aware that "object container streaming" and "network bind culling" are things every console developer has been doing for over 10 years and are just fancy names for completely standard good coding practices. its hilarious that you think this is some amazing innovation. i legit laugh out loud every time dumb/clueless/ignorant hermits regurgitate cloud imperiums marketing drivel

No one has ever done what Star Citizen is doing on this scale before, no one. Please educate yourself about the development of the game before you start spewing this nonsense. There isn't a single game on console with the scope and ambition of Star Citizen, not one. This isn't a console vs PC thing, it's a fact. I like console gaming too so I'm not some blind hermit saying things for the sake of it. This game is beyond anything we've ever seen on consoles and it's a fact.

lmao you specifically mentioned the 2 features im talking about. the scope of the game is completely irrelevant to my post. cloud imperium has you believing that object container streaming and network bind culling are new tech pioneered by them

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@blackhairedhero said:

PC gamers eat this shit up.

Well you guys pay for PSN, an vastly inferior service. $60 a year times how many million PSN users...

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By m3dude1

@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:

No one has ever done what Star Citizen is doing on this scale before, no one. Please educate yourself about the development of the game before you start spewing this nonsense. There isn't a single game on console with the scope and ambition of Star Citizen, not one. This isn't a console vs PC thing, it's a fact. I like console gaming too so I'm not some blind hermit saying things for the sake of it. This game is beyond anything we've ever seen on consoles and it's a fact.

lmao you specifically mentioned the 2 features im talking about. the scope of the game is completely irrelevant to my post. cloud imperium has you believing that object container streaming and network bind culling are new tech pioneered by them

They've never said this and nothing in my post even alludes to me thinking they ever said this. It's not new tech and I never said it was.

This was my post, "No one has ever done what Star Citizen is doing on this scale before, no one." as in it's never been implemented on this scale before. Everything being done in Star Citizen is on a much bigger scale than anything on consoles, that's what makes it ambitious. They aren't reinventing the wheel here, they are just building a Formula 1 car while everyone else is still building Ford Pintos. When you're using tech on a scale that's never been done before you're bound to run into issues and roadblocks. Go and educate yourself about the game and stop regurgitating horse shit you've heard from random haters on the internet or making up your own horse shit.

scale is almost completely irrelevant to these 2 features. you continue to illustrate my point

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:

They've never said this and nothing in my post even alludes to me thinking they ever said this. It's not new tech and I never said it was.

This was my post, "No one has ever done what Star Citizen is doing on this scale before, no one." as in it's never been implemented on this scale before. Everything being done in Star Citizen is on a much bigger scale than anything on consoles, that's what makes it ambitious. They aren't reinventing the wheel here, they are just building a Formula 1 car while everyone else is still building Ford Pintos. When you're using tech on a scale that's never been done before you're bound to run into issues and roadblocks. Go and educate yourself about the game and stop regurgitating horse shit you've heard from random haters on the internet or making up your own horse shit.

scale is almost completely irrelevant to these 2 features. you continue to illustrate my point

How?

He knows that its not new tech, neither have CiG ever said its a brand new concept....

It's just new to Cryengine or whatever lumberyard crap is called now... because it was required to make the Crysis games.

Hell CryEngine was missing alot.

But I do wonder why its taken 3-4 years of talking about it, to implement it....

I do question the "Skill/Talent" of the CiG team...

Looking at the current roadmap... yikes,

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58261 Posts

Hahahahaha this is awesome.

Good for SC.

All the haters are just jealous because they are told what games to like, and don't have a choice in their development like SC supporters do. And before you get all disgusted with the amount of money SC has made, why don't you go find out how much EA, Activision, and so on spend on marketing alone for their games.

And while you're looking that up, why don't you look up how big-name Publishers treat their developers. How they shut down developers. How they treat their staff. How much money they take from state and federal governments in tax subsidies? We've all been scammed by video game makers before and still are, but guess what? Star Citizen is not one of them.

When was the last time you actually believed in the development of a game, like genuinely? It feels good. No hype, just genuine pleasure in it's existence. It's like watching a child grow, well maybe not like that, maybe like watching a pet grow up.

You all have more important things to complain about, more worthy things to be concerned over; you just don't know it.

@Lotus-Edge said:

To be fair, didn't Destiny have a 500 million total cost?

And I think I've already seen more content from SC than Destiny had....

Pretty much. I gave Destiny 2 a real chance to entertain me and it's *yawn* so boring.

Star Citizen has been a total pleasure to experience so far, to participate in it's development.

I've spent more on games I regret buying than I've ever spent on Star Citizen (and I don't regret buying Star Citizen).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm not a fan of crowdfund/Kickstart stuff. But, people can do what they want with their money. They want to pay for possible vaporware? That's their business. They're free to give away their disposable income.

I mean, there are bums in Vegas and poor, broke college students closer to home who probably aren't what they portray. But, when they ask for money to buy a meal? I never refuse. The wife complains. But, it's my allowance. I can give it away if I wish.

I think Star Citizen will eventually release. But, until it does, memories of Battlecruiser 3000 AD will haunt it. I'm sure Derek Smart wants it to fail badly....which wouldn't surprise me.

I think people who contribute know the risks. I mean, anyone who took Systems Design would know around 70% of software projects end in failure or vastly downgraded. Kinda like software gambling. :D

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@Jacanuk: no. SQ 42 was announced at the same time as Star Citizen during kickstarter. 42 is the single player game which is the successor to Wing Commander. Star Citizen is the MMO which is like Privateer on steriods. You pay for the minimum starter pack at like fourty something bucks I think and you get both games. Funny how people always say how expensive this game is etc when its cheaper than any AAA game on the market and doesn’t require a monthly fee or any stupid loot boxes. Now I just hope the games are fun. I’m pretty sure I’m gonna love SQ42 but not too sure about SC yet. SC might be too ambitious for its own good.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

I am ok with it. I just do not think the game will be fun. So I'm not supporting it unless I find out that it actually is fun.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 m3dude1

@kali-b1rd said:
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:
@m3dude1 said:
@elitegaming247 said:

How?

He knows that its not new tech, neither have CiG ever said its a brand new concept....

It's just new to Cryengine or whatever lumberyard crap is called now... because it was required to make the Crysis games.

Hell CryEngine was missing alot.

But I do wonder why its taken 3-4 years of talking about it, to implement it....

I do question the "Skill/Talent" of the CiG team...

Looking at the current roadmap... yikes,

yeah object container streaming is just general asset streaming. its kind of a joke at this point

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I really only care about Squadron 42. I just hope that this actually materializes. It would be a shame if this turns into a con job in the end.

m3dude1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 m3dude1
@sirk1264 said:

I really only care about Squadron 42. I just hope that this actually materializes. It would be a shame if this turns into a con job in the end.

i dont think its a con or ever was. i just think chris roberts has no idea how to properly manage a production

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Blackhairedhero

@zaryia: Inferior service? At least I get a service. Ive saved $500 in game purchases this year. Wtf have you got an imaginary ship you can use three years from now?

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Hey. If you have the money and want to be the back on this game.. why not? I back about $400 on Shenmue 3 btw because I wanted to. The only way I will call it cam is when it show no progress and it show it all the time so I guess it is all good lol.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

That new Squadron 42 trailer looked phenomenal. Can't wait.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zaryia
@blackhairedhero said:

@zaryia: Inferior service?

Yes.

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Blackhairedhero

@zaryia: You don't even get a service

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zaryia
@blackhairedhero said:

@zaryia: You don't even get a service

Star Citizen funding is optional. You don't need to do it to play online or play the game.

PSN payment is required to play shitty online.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

friggin whales

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56017 Posts

@pimphand_gamer said:

That new Squadron 42 trailer looked phenomenal. Can't wait.

SQ42 was really the showstopper!

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

cant wait for this to come out.

btw is there a way to get into the beta and try it out or am i too late?

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Blackhairedhero

@zaryia: Its not shitty at all and I actually get free games while you pay for a game you'll maybe get in three years.

Good luck playing SC without spending any real money lmao!

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@pimphand_gamer: It did? What I saw was boring and bland looking.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GarGx1
@Jacanuk said:
@GarGx1 said:
@Jacanuk said:
@GarGx1 said:

Hmm, so Squadron 42 is a new full game ? or is it just to please the sheep who can´t seem to get that Star Citizen is probably the biggest con job in the gaming industry.

So you're just another clueless troll then. Thanks for confirming.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zaryia
@blackhairedhero said:

@zaryia: Its not shitty at all

PC Online > PS4 Online. Fact.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
@elitegaming247 said:

@FinalFighters: You can get into the alpha anytime.

Just go to www.robertspaceindustries.com and click on “FLY NOW” and then purchase a starter package. Right now you can buy one for $48 but it will only give you access to Star Citizen and you won’t get access to Squadron 42 for free. If you had signed up earlier you would have been able to get both for $48 but they ended the promotion recently. Right now the Alpha is in 3.2 and is about to transition into 3.3 which brings with it a significant boost in performance. You can get early access to 3.3 PTU by transferring your account or the PTU server but I don’t advice that now since you’re a noob and it might be a bit confusing for you. Just wait till 3.3 goes Live for everyone in a few days and then get on board and start having fun :)

Great, appreciate the info!

Blackhairedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Blackhairedhero

@zaryia: That's an opinion actually