Scalebound's cancellation has negative effect on XB1/ Scorpio ?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

Do you think that it will have negative impact on the sales of XB1/Scorpio ? It will lose many potential XB1/Scorpio customers because of this game being cancelled ?

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

No, I'm sure cancelling a big game that you advertised for a while is going to do great for the system.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

@aigis: and it was also on that list of the many "Xbox Anywhere" games.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

In the long term, no... right now people are pissed about it, but it'll fade away.

I don't remember hearing many people say that they were going to buy an XB1 because of Scalebound alone.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

In the long term, no... right now people are pissed about it, but it'll fade away.

I don't remember hearing many people say that they were going to buy an XB1 because of Scalebound alone.

until MS decides to cancel another game.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hrt_rulz01

@silversix_ said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

until MS decides to cancel another game.

That's just as likely as Sony closing another studio :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Not really. The news of the cancellation won't reach most consumer's ears because most people both didn't know it existed and/or don't follow gaming that closely.

What it does to is further thin out an already pretty thin lineup of games. I don't know a lot of people are going to be willing to upgrade to a Scorpio or buy a Scorpio over a PS4 Pro when they compare the game libraries.

Microsoft really needs to start beefing up that collection. Sony is on a roll with some strong exclusives.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#8 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Not really because they keep releasing new games and new IPs that will replace it. I know a lot of people that are fed up with Sony closing studios though, so that could impact PS sales including the PS Pro. Sony doesn't have any games, so they should work on that too.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

Yes, the future of MS and their home consoles is unknown.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kvally

@Heil68 said:

Yes, the future of MS and their home consoles is unknown.

Rumor has it that Sony is buying Microsoft.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

It wont and Microsoft is doing just fine. Just like Nintendo and Sony!

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

I would say yes. I mean some of us have been telling people that the xbone is an irrelevant console due to its lack of games that set it apart from other systems. With Scalebound being canceled this fact basically became mainstream and now people know so now everyone realized about its irrelevancy. It was the straw that broke the camel's back for MS. Now they can't hide anymore how irrelevant their console is. Hell people and analysts everywhere are calling MS Cancelsoft. That's a hard stigma to overcome. Couple that with the abysmal sales of the xbone and the only conclusion you can possibly reach is that the xbone is finished.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I think it will have some sort of a negative impact, it was a highly anticipated high-profile game. To what degree I have no clue, but as long as they keep releasing good games things should go back to normal shortly. A lot of it will depend on the events of the next few months I think.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Definitely. However, if what is floating around is true, it's the right move... As much as it sucks.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

It just reinforces the fact that Xbox has nothing but 3 IP.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Not on Scorpio. It'll probably get cancelled too lol!

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Outside of SW,not really

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag: Which is factually incorrect.

loe12k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loe12k
Member since 2013 • 3465 Posts

@jackfruitchips said:

Do you think that it will have negative impact on the sales of XB1/Scorpio ? It will lose many potential XB1/Scorpio customers because of this game being cancelled ?

Doubt it. They had 4 years to produce a decent game and they couldn't do it. I think the studio was taking the piss and MS pulled the plug on it. The way that studio head talked about Microsoft on twitter last year i surprised it took this long.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01

@lundy86_4 said:

@NathanDrakeSwag: Which is factually incorrect.

Nothing he says is correct... so don't worry. Just pretend he's not there and hopefully he'll go away.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

The Xbone was creating good buzz after the Xbone S and the great reception of Forza Horizon 3. Even one of our resident Sony Fanboys converted temporarily to an Xbone Fanboy because of it. Now the news is about the Scalebound cancelation and coupled with the fact that they have little on the horizon while Playstation is enjoying a resurgence of exclusive Japanese games it has all gone negative for Xbone. If they don't change the news cycle soon the Scorpio will also be met with derision and scorn. It all hinges on E3. Can you feel the building drama?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#22 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

Nope. It only affects the people in this forum and in other fanboy heavy forums.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mark1974

@Pedro said:

Nope. It only affects the people in this forum and in other fanboy heavy forums.

I think this idea is misguided. The internet is very mainstream and anyone who likes video games enough to buy a new console is going to be subject to and influenced by stupid shit like we talk about here every day. My grandma knows about the No Man's Sky controversy. There is probably a 30 to 1 lurker to poster ratio on these forums. The word gets out.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I don't know about the common customer who doesn't follow game news, but cancelling a game this far can discourage other game companies from making games for MS. With Phantom Dust and now Scalebound doesn't give faith in MS cancelling there game far into game development.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@Pedro said:

I think this idea is misguided. The internet is very mainstream and anyone who likes video games enough to buy a new console is going to be subject to and influenced by stupid shit like we talk about here every day. My grandma knows about the No Man's Sky controversy. There is probably a 30 to 1 lurker to poster ratio on these forums. The word gets out.

Nope. Its misguided to think that the forum is a reflection of the general gaming population like you are trying to imply.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

The negative effect is that the Xbox one simply doesn't get enough games to keep pace with the PS4, nor is it as diversified with its portfolio. So that's the extent of the effect the cancellation has, it continues to sustain what has been a constant problem for the XBox division. That first party wise, they offer less than their competitor first party wise. And I think it's a fool's errand to think that the Scorpio will make them the defacto third party machine, especially when all that horse power ultimately has to be tied down just enough to let weaker hardware handle games being developed for it.

The most these consoles have done is make them a bit more viable for 4ktvs that are becoming more n more common as this gen will go along. But that's not going to make some major shift in market leader, and well the XBox is getting that ass beat. Soundly.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

I don't believe that. The funny thing about Scalebound and this forum is, when it was shown at Gamescom the people in this forum that are today acting like Halo was discontinued, had nothing positive to say about Scalebound's gameplay reveal. But for some reason these posters, many of whom don't even own the console, are acting like the biggest thing in gaming was cancelled.

If someone was only going to buy an Xbox Scorpio because a game that didn't even have a firm release window was cancelled then they may be a special needs person.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 cainetao11

@kvally said:

Not really because they keep releasing new games and new IPs that will replace it. I know a lot of people that are fed up with Sony closing studios though, so that could impact PS sales including the PS Pro. Sony doesn't have any games, so they should work on that too.

I have grown to love your bullcrap so much.

@dakur said:

I would say yes. I mean some of us have been telling people that the xbone is an irrelevant console due to its lack of games that set it apart from other systems. With Scalebound being canceled this fact basically became mainstream and now people know so now everyone realized about its irrelevancy. It was the straw that broke the camel's back for MS. Now they can't hide anymore how irrelevant their console is. Hell people and analysts everywhere are calling MS Cancelsoft. That's a hard stigma to overcome. Couple that with the abysmal sales of the xbone and the only conclusion you can possibly reach is that the xbone is finished.

In order for this crap to be legit, the X1 will have to sell 0 consoles next month. You state "became mainstream; now everyone realized its irrelevancy". So then it will sell zero units going forward? Because if even one person buys an xbox, then EVERYONE does not see it as irrelevant. You certainly see its relevance. Its all you ever post about.

@lundy86_4 said:

Definitely. However, if what is floating around is true, it's the right move... As much as it sucks.

I agree. I have not found anything to refute what Eurogamer reported about the game engine having issues. 3 1/2 years in development and the engine was still struggling?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I am not entirely sure if it would have an impact on sales but I for one am saddened it was cancelled. It was my most anticipated Xbox One game. The Xbox One has many shooters (Halo, Gears of War) and racing simulators (Forza, Forza Horizon) but these games don't quite appeal to me. Currently, I don't have any Xbox One exclusives. Ori is definitely one I intend to play and Sea of Thieves + Cuphead have my interest.

Scalebound was really a great opportunity to express the versatility of the Xbox One exclusive lineup.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

Maybe a little but nothing to harm them too much. As long as they bring some new games to the table they will be fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

@cainetao11: Lmao bro at what you wrote to Dakur...so true...lol

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@jackfruitchips said:

Xbox One S and Scorpio doubles as a cost effective 4K UHD Blu-ray player...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55899 Posts

@makemefamous07 said:

Yes BIG negative impact. I believe this was a huge trend on twitter when it was announced cancelled. So many videos talking about how bad this is for Xbox having Scalebound, Phantum Dust Sequel, Fable Legends, Project spark etc . I for one wanted to play Fable cuz it looked fun & graphics looked great. I love Neverwinter thats Free on PS4, Xbox & really wanted Fable Legends but Phil Shitcer cancelled & now Scalebound....Great job idiot Phil.

I sure as hell dont care for Halo Wars RTS trash no one wants especially on consoles. Sea of thieves has NO Campaign which makes it another Fail for Microsoft. Phil Spencer the IDIOT is making Xbox look BAD AGAIN!!! Sony doesn't even have to kill the Xbox. Phil The Idiot Spencer is doing that himself & how big of a moron he is as head of Xbox killing the franchises, developers & he's probably a jerk to them . Thanks Phil Spencer for giving us Xbox owners Windows 10 for the last 3 years of U being in charge.......Shit

You know, I didn't know Sea of Thieves has no campaign at all. Okay now I'm worry cause it was the only MS game I was looking forward to the most besides Cuphead.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cainetao11

@makemefamous07 said:

Yes BIG negative impact. I believe this was a huge trend on twitter when it was announced cancelled. So many videos talking about how bad this is for Xbox having Scalebound, Phantum Dust Sequel, Fable Legends, Project spark etc . I for one wanted to play Fable cuz it looked fun & graphics looked great. I love Neverwinter thats Free on PS4, Xbox & really wanted Fable Legends but Phil Shitcer cancelled & now Scalebound....Great job idiot Phil.

I sure as hell dont care for Halo Wars RTS trash no one wants especially on consoles. Sea of thieves has NO Campaign which makes it another Fail for Microsoft. Phil Spencer the IDIOT is making Xbox look BAD AGAIN!!! Sony doesn't even have to kill the Xbox. Phil The Idiot Spencer is doing that himself & how big of a moron he is as head of Xbox killing the franchises, developers & he's probably a jerk to them . Thanks Phil Spencer for giving us Xbox owners Windows 10 for the last 3 years of U being in charge.......Shit

Then why didn't you? It was a playable beta for months. I was in from day one and played plenty of it. Did Evolve set the world on fire? Rhetorical question, it didn't. Having seen that the 4 vs 1 thing never caught on it was pointless to think it would have with Fable. I wish they had recycled the assets and just made a proper Fable game. Nobody disagrees that MS is looking bad right now. And of course, like sports, the "head coach" catches all the flak.

But you provide no actual proof it was Spencer alone that makes these decisions. "He's probably a jerk to them"? So now he's also guilty of things you imagine in your head? LOL Get some help, son.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cainetao11

@davillain- said:
@makemefamous07 said:

You know, I didn't know Sea of Thieves has no campaign at all. Okay now I'm worry cause it was the only MS game I was looking forward to the most besides Cuphead.

I'm going to need a little more actual proof then a forum poster saying it doesn't have a campaign. Its definitely geared as a game played with other living human beings. I wouldn't care for running around with AI shipmates in first person.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#37  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

No I doubt that people buy XB1 or Scorpio for the games. There will be a couple people buying it because it's ultra powerful* and a couple more because their friends got one or they want to have a better one than their friends have to be the cool kid. If you're interested in games (weirdo) there are other platforms. That was also true before Scalebound got canceled. It doesn't really change much.

*compared to a low end PC

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Didn't exactly come at a good time. With the PS4 getting Gravity Rush 2 and NiOh, the Scalebound cancellation is going to sting.

They better have something good cooked up for E3 or else forgive and forget will not be easily attained.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43935 Posts

Nah, X1 & Mighty Scorpio will be fine & dandy since it seems to me at least here in SW; X1 gamers are far less upset about SB being canceled than non X1 gamers that would rather eat rusty nails than buy a MS console but eh, that's par for the course here in Fanboy Wars. lol :P

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Nah, X1 & Mighty Scorpio will be fine & dandy since it seems to me at least here in SW; X1 gamers are far less upset about SB being canceled than non X1 gamers that would rather eat rusty nails than buy a MS console but eh, that's par for the course here in Fanboy Wars. lol :P

That's cause lemmings don't get upset over anything MS does to them. That's why you're called lemmings. If you actually got upset and demanded to be treated fairly you wouldn't be a lemming but your lemming nature demands you to follow, comply and accept everything until MS leads you all towards the bottom of the cliff where TLHBO for the last time...

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43935 Posts

@dakur said:
@SecretPolice said:

That's cause lemmings don't get upset over anything MS does to them. That's why you're called lemmings. If you actually got upset and demanded to be treated fairly you wouldn't be a lemming but your lemming nature demands you to follow, comply and accept everything until MS leads you all towards the bottom of the cliff where TLHBO for the last time...

And yet another swing and a misssss..... Mooooo..

You're out................. and stay out. lol :P

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

In the bigger picture sense no; however we have a trend with Xbox to have e a very limited library.

I guess Path of the Exile is a boon if it is as good as everyone is making it out to be, but that trend needs to continue in a hurry.

Scorpio will need titles that give people a reason to buy the damned thing.

I do not think it is doom and gloom at this point, but Microsoft needs some serious investing in their first party.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DaVillain  Moderator

@cainetao11: I haven't really look too deep into Sea of Thieves, it's the MS game I like so far but I do hope there's some kind of single player form though.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cainetao11

@davillain- said:

@cainetao11: I haven't really look too deep into Sea of Thieves, it's the MS game I like so far but I do hope there's some kind of single player form though.

Guess there was a miscommunication on the word "campaign". I apologize to you and @makemefamous07

Titanfall was an online only game but still had a campaign story. I took the word campaign as that. Single player mode I highly doubt will be a part of this game. I have no interest in competing against AI with a ship full of AI team mates.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mark1974

I'm pretty bummed that Sea of Thieves is going to be online only. I don't like online multiplayer and that seems like the only thing Xbox wants to give me. I'm looking forward to Cup Head and that's about it.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kvally

@Shewgenja said:

Didn't exactly come at a good time. With the PS4 getting Gravity Rush 2 and NiOh, the Scalebound cancellation is going to sting.

They better have something good cooked up for E3 or else forgive and forget will not be easily attained.

Well, it is indeed a hit for Xbox only platform gamers. I hope that in place of losing this game that Yosuke Saito ports Nier to the Xbox One sooner than later (he said it was in the cards), that way they have another hack n slash game.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kvally

@davillain- said:

I don't think there is a "campaign", but you can play solo.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/14/sea-of-thieves-lets-you-captain-your-pirate-ship-solo-but-at-a-cost/

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@kvally said:
@davillain- said:

I don't think there is a "campaign", but you can play solo.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/14/sea-of-thieves-lets-you-captain-your-pirate-ship-solo-but-at-a-cost/

Awesome! This was the kind of info I wanted to know if there's some kind of solo doing and this is more then good enough for me. Thanks.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DaVillain  Moderator

(Oops, I almost forgot to contribute this thread)

Scalebound's cancellation didn't hurt Xbox One/Scorpio's consoles at all but it did put out a negative feedbacks on MS any future new IP games into questioning however. MS is gonna need to come out to impress a lot of fans after Scalebound cancellation and if anything, we better wait until E3 2017 to see if MS has anything worth seeing besides Scorpio.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

Not according to lemmings, no one was looking forward to Scalebound.

Of course it has, the biggest new IP that MS has been planning for years suddenly being cancelled would affect the X1's perception for so time.