arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By arkephonic
Member since 2006 • 7221 Posts

So I have 2 different rooms with an Xbox Series X. I don't subscribe to GamePass or Live Gold, and I still get free cloud saves. They make it very seamless, I can be playing on one Series X in one room, then go over to the other room and it just automatically syncs the saves between the systems as it's loading the game. It's perfect.

I just got a 2nd PS5 and I'm putting it in the other room. I remember when I had PS4, the save situation was a nightmare. First of all, you had to subscribe to the PS+ service to even get cloud saves. Then, when using another console, you had to manually move everything over, it didn't do it automatically.

So my question is, is it still a pain in the ass to transfer saves from one PS5 to another? Is it as seamless as it is on Series X? I really don't want to subscribe to PS+ just for cloud saves, and I won't unless they have made it as seamless as the Series X.

Does anyone have experience using 2 Series X consoles and 2 PS5 consoles and been able to compare the seamlessness of save transfers?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Don't have experience with save transfer but i use the cloud a bunch, and having to pay ps+ to use it is annoying af.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 arkephonic

I gotta just say, I think it's BS that Sony charges for cloud saves when they are inferior to Xbox's cloud and theirs is free.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 arkephonic

Off topic: I picked up the digital PS5 this time around and I like it better. Obviously it's better to have a disc drive because you can resell discs if you want, take advantage of sales from both physical and digital, play physical movies, more options. I just like how the digital PS5 is symmetrical and doesn't have a disc drive which I consider to be an archaic component, just another useless moving part. I sold my collection and went all digital a couple years ago, best decision ever. With the digital PS5, there's very few moving parts, I think just the fans, which I love.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hardwenzen

@arkephonic said:

I gotta just say, I think it's BS that Sony charges for cloud saves when they are inferior to Xbox's cloud and theirs is free.

Yea, but Xbox has it only because they're the underdog. You wouldn't be seeing them trying so hard to please their customers if they were dominating like during the 7th gen.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 arkephonic

@hardwenzen said:
@arkephonic said:

Yea, but Xbox has it only because they're the underdog. You wouldn't be seeing them trying so hard to please their customers if they were dominating like during the 7th gen.

You're totally right about the underdog thing. I have noticed a difference in how the big 3 perform some generations based on the previous one. Like Xbox One was kinda disappointing so they went hard on Series X. PS3 was disappointing (in sales I'm speaking, they were insulted being neck and neck with Xbox) so they went hard on PS4. Wii U was disappointing so Nintendo went hard with Switch. These are big risks by big companies making good decisions to stay afloat.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Also on Xbox ecosystem, you can go between Xbox One and Xbox Series S|X and even PC builds of games and game save and achievement progression carries over seamlessly.

You can't do this on PS ecosystem. I have seen people damage control for PS saying they can jump between playing on PS4 and PS5 with ease with cloud but they seem to not know what this all means on Xbox ecosystem or overselling how they're the same when they're oh so different.

You can jump between PS4 and PS5 console playing PS4 games on PS5 via BC and not say jump between the 8th and 9th gen builds of the game with having progress carrying over.

Games have steered around this having a game save upload to game servers to convert the game save file for new systems but this is still problematic.

Let's say you had Death Stranding (🤢🤮) and you loved it so much on PS4 you wanna play it on PS5, so you pick up the PS5 upgrades edition and you're already at a feature parity loss having to pay for your upgrade to start. Now, even though you have a PS4 cloud save on PSN, to continue on PS5 you have to first install the PS4 version of the game and install the entire thing and then upload the save to the game servers so you can uninstall it and install the PS5 version of the game just to retrieve the game save. Yeah, it's a laughable notion anybody trying to (or having ever tried to) equate how Sony does cloud saves is on par wirh MS.

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 arkephonic

@lamprey263 said:

Also on Xbox ecosystem, you can go between Xbox One and Xbox Series S|X and even PC builds of games and game save and achievement progression carries over seamlessly.

You can't do this on PS ecosystem. I have seen people damage control for PS saying they can jump between playing on PS4 and PS5 with ease with cloud but they seem to not know what this all means on Xbox ecosystem or overselling how they're the same when they're oh so different.

You can jump between PS4 and PS5 console playing PS4 games on PS5 via BC and not say jump between the 8th and 9th gen builds of the game with having progress carrying over.

Games have steered around this having a game save upload to game servers to convert the game save file for new systems but this is still problematic.

Let's say you had Death Stranding (🤢🤮) and you loved it so much on PS4 you wanna play it on PS5, so you pick up the PS5 upgrades edition and you're already at a feature parity loss having to pay for your upgrade to start. Now, even though you have a PS4 cloud save on PSN, to continue on PS5 you have to first install the PS4 version of the game and install the entire thing and then upload the save to the game servers so you can uninstall it and install the PS5 version of the game just to retrieve the game save. Yeah, it's a laughable notion anybody trying to (or having ever tried to) equate how Sony does cloud saves is on par wirh MS.

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Sony has an archaic and unacceptable cloud format for 2022. I really love the way Xbox does it.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9 Mesome713  Online
Member since 2019 • 7201 Posts

O wow, Sony's save system is just a joke. Its worst than Nintendo's.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@arkephonic said:

Funny, since the same was true when the XBox 360 was around. All the major cloud companies give cloud storage away for free - Google, Amazon, MS...

Sony is simply not big enough to do it for free.

Don't make shit up to justify bad practices by Sony.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@arkephonic said:

Funny, since the same was true when the XBox 360 was around. All the major cloud companies give cloud storage away for free - Google, Amazon, MS...

When the 360 was out, online play on consoles was fresh. If you think that Sony is too poor to offer free cloud, you need to wake the **** up and see that even Steam has it for free.🤭They don't offer it because they need to justify their garbage sub for ps+, and that's exactly what they're doing.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8853 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@arkephonic said:

When the 360 was out, online play on consoles was fresh. If you think that Sony is too poor to offer free cloud, you need to wake the **** up and see that even Steam has it for free.🤭They don't offer it because they need to justify their garbage sub for ps+, and that's exactly what they're doing.

You silly little boy...

Is that why Sony entered in a partnership in 2019 to use Microsoft Azure as it's cloud provider for PlayStation?

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

When I got my PS5, I transferred my save files from my PS4 to the PS5. I wouldn't say it was difficult at all. :/

arkephonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By arkephonic
@mycatismilk said:

When I got my PS5, I transferred my save files from my PS4 to the PS5. I wouldn't say it was difficult at all. :/

I think in most cases, this obsolete cloud format Sony uses wouldn't affect anyone too badly. But for me, someone who planned on regularly switching between 2 different PS5 consoles, it's really bad. With Series X, I'm not subscribed to any services, Live Gold or Game Pass, and it just automatically syncs all my saves as it's booting up the games. It's not even an option or setting, the Xbox cloud just automatically puts all your saves in a vault and uploads them on any system with your account. It takes your saves more seriously and I like that. With Sony, it's like I bought your system, I bought a bunch of your games, I got some of your controllers, and now you are going to charge me the expensive PS+ subscription fee (I don't know what it is but I know it's not cheap) just to protect my saves? And even if I subscribe, the transitions between consoles regarding saves isn't nearly as seamless. It's really some BS and everyone knows it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hardwenzen

@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@dabear said:
@hardwenzen said:
@arkephonic said:

You silly little boy...

Is that why Sony entered in a partnership in 2019 to use Microsoft Azure as it's cloud provider for PlayStation?

Nobody cares about your cloud. The system has no games, and you're in desperate mode since 2018.