Rumors: Assassins creed 2020 will be more RPG.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Source

Other details include even more RPG-like elements than Odyssey, something the franchise has seemingly been building toward; Scandinavia isn't the only territory on Assassin's Creed 2020's map, again befitting because of how Vikings led raids; lots of supernatural appearances for the First Civ, most likely similar to how the Isu appeared as Greek Gods in AC Odyssey; and finally, a complete refutation that co-op would be returning, one of the most pronounced rumors thus far.

Well Well. now ubisoft will milked the RPG elements out of it. more and more RPG assassins creed coming. more grind, more lootboxes. more ubisoft.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

It's rare you see a title that quite literally, not exaggerated or metaphorically has the effect of an automatic eye-roll.

Assassins Creed is a remarkable franchise.

It never got the basic core gameplay down, and the best part is when you're on a boat not actually playing Assassins Creed.

Instead of making any of it good, it's like a father trying to distract a child into eating it's dinner by dangling shit in front of it each entry.

And it works, sells like hot-cakes. Even though it was never, and probably will never, be good.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

RPG is the best. Why the hate?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:

It's rare you see a title that quite literally, not exaggerated or metaphorically has the effect of an automatic eye-roll.

Assassins Creed is a remarkable franchise.

It never got the basic core gameplay down, and the best part is when you're on a boat not actually playing Assassins Creed.

Instead of making any of it good, it's like a father trying to distract a child into eating it's dinner by dangling shit in front of it each entry.

And it works, sells like hot-cakes. Even though it was never, and probably will never, be good.

it appears that RPG elements are more of cash cow now. the RPG assassins creed games are worse than older ones.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

That just means more repetitive side quests and grinding to level up. Yawn.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ghosts4ever

@tenaka2 said:

grinding, made combat worse and bulletsponies, too much focus on boring dialogues. they are staler than stale at this point.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Honestly I don't even know what RPG is anymore.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Next game must be a much tighter experience than Odyssey for me to buy it. Odyssey was just waaay too much, first AC game I couldn’t finish. Tried a few times, but made me almost physically ill 🤢.

So this is not good news if true.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#9 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I enjoyed Origins for a while, but Odyssey just felt like more of the same with even more bloat.

they need better writers and voice actors if they are going to stick with this direction.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I grinding through open world showered with cookie cutter objectives is relative. For a Far Cry game, liberating outposts is where the action is, gives players chance to flex muscles with growing skills and tools acquired. In AC, the tasks are so tedious and difficulty walls now seem set by stats of weapons and player level and not how abilities and tools clash with mission design.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Whatever it is, Ubisoft is bad at it.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

whoever made RPG. its bound to be crap. unless its FPS/RPG.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#13  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Sad, but damn near true these days. Especially non-indie Western "RPGS"

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

They're so obsessesd with TW3 , yet they can't see what made that game great

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

@tenaka2 said:

RPG's as a game genre are great, and I don't think many people hate them.

But RPG mechanics tacked on to a game that has no business being an RPG is not the best. It's a lazy way of adding depth, or rather the illusion of depth, without actually working very hard to add any substance to a game.

Let's look at an example:

1. In a regular action-adventure game without RPG mechanics, you are rewarded with new equipment and abilities, and these often involve quests and stories and actual content. So you might start off with your basic weapon, but then after meeting some new characters you are tasked with stealing something, bringing it back, and then I don't know maybe some mystical blacksmith turns it into a new and cool weapon.

You've met new people. The quest you finished to get that reward had meaning and purpose. That item you were rewarded with was earned, and you had fun getting it, too. It was a genuinely good experience.

2. In an action-adventure game with RPG mechanics, you don't get rewarded. You get paid for your time. It is more akin to work (hence the term "grind") than to play, because all you do is go from side quest to side quest hoping to get enough xp/credits/etc. to unlock a new ability. And of course you actually need this ability or item in order to advance to the next level, so instead of actually adding content with characters and meaningful quests, they've more or less locked the rest of the game behind an "XP wall" requiring you to invest time into stuff that is meaningless because god forbid they actually put some effort into a game.

Next thing you know, you're 60 hours into a game and 40 hours of it was essentially the same thing over and over again, and you're wishing you could have just gotten to the end of the game at 30 hours, but no, they're tracking how much time you put into the game so they can run to their CEO's and shareholders and go "Look how much people love our game! They're playing for DOZENS of hours!" when in reality we don't have a choice [if we want to beat the game].

And that's really what it comes down to with tacked-on RPG mechanics in non-RPG games; keeping you playing long enough so that when the DLC for the game comes out, you're still playing, still subconsciously wanting to get that next level or skill or whatever.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@the_master_race said:

They're so obsessesd with TW3 , yet they can't see what made that game great

except that game not great too.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Eh, couldn't even stick with Origins, which i've attempted 4-5 times.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10436 Posts

repetitive player grinding?