Rumored Nintendo Direct this week - Metroid Trilogy, Super Mario Maker 2, and more

• 123 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
Edited 8 days, 1 hour ago

Poll: Rumored Nintendo Direct this week - Metroid Trilogy, Super Mario Maker 2, and more (24 votes)

Yes, Nintendo Direct is definitely happening this week. 71%
Nah, probably not. 29%

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/1084919/Nintendo-Direct-February-2019-Switch-Metroid-Prime-Trilogy

Nintendo is reportedly getting ready to hold a surprise Direct conference next week.

Nintendo Switch fans will be interested to hear that the February 2019 Direct conference is tipped to take place on February 13. That's according to a new post on Resetera (via VG247), which hints at a February 13 surprise for Nintendo fans. It's possible February 13 is the day Nintendo announces the Direct, or actually holds the conference. Either way, it's worth checking back later this week for more information.

It's especially worth checking out if you're a Metroid fan disappointed with the recent Metroid Prime 4 delay. According to the rumours, the Metroid Prime Trilogy will be announced for Switch during the imminent event. Super Mario Maker 2 is also tipped for the Nintendo Switch, so it's possible we'll see that.

Nintendo will reportedly release 11 major new Switch games in 2019.This includes four mystery new releases, two new eShop games, two potential Wii U ports, another Labo kit, the aforementioned Metroid Prime Trilogy and a secret game from Retro Studios.Other contenders include the Pokemon RPG, a new 2D Zelda game and Pikmin 3.

As previously reported, files discovered by Kapu (via Nintendo Life) showed that 22 SNES games are being planned for the Nintendo Switch Online service. This includes Super Nintendo heavyweights like Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario World and Super Metroid, as well as the ultra-rare Star Fox 2, Breath of Fire 2 and Pop’n Twinbee.

Nintendo has since added English and Spanish language descriptions of some of the games, which suggests a release is imminent.

The most likely scenario is that the SNES games will be officially confirmed during the Nintendo Direct conference.

What do you think, SW? Will will we get a Nintendo Direct this week? Will it be any good? It's been a while, surely Nintendo is up to something. Hopefully we'll see this week.

#1 Posted by robert_sparkes (2316 posts) -

I was under the impression there was supposed to be one in January. It would make sense with these 2 unannounced games.

#2 Edited by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

Wants Galaxy 1/2. Or 3D world.

#3 Posted by DaVillain- (34344 posts) -

If the Metroid Prime Trilogy HD Switch rumor is true, then I'll be hitting the pre-order button ASAP! Everything else just looks underwhelming. For now at least.

#4 Posted by Solaryellow (4605 posts) -

Will Trilogy come in a steelcase with art book? Hmm.

Maker 2 seems redundant IMO.

#5 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

New Pikmin / F-Zero / Donkey Kong Country please

Also yeah they were probably talking about Super Mario Maker 2 with their unannounced upcoming game...

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

All of these are playable on Wii U.

#7 Posted by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -

AKA @jcrame10 Gets Owned Pt. 1

@Solaryellow said:

Not for the over 20 million Switch owners without a Wii U.

#8 Posted by npiet1 (1619 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: galaxy was probably the best Mario since smb3. Day one purchase of they rereleased.

I definitely want Metroid. Played it on NES but missed the chance to play it on other systems.

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (30696 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

This is a Switch thread my friend.

#10 Posted by DaVillain- (34344 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And I'm done with my Wii U! Took that thing and stored it the Garage. Everything being ported to Switch is what we all should be focusing on.

#11 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@uninspiredcup said:

And I'm done with my Wii U! Took that thing and stored it the Garage. Everything being ported to Switch is what we all should be focusing on.

What a shame! I still game on my Vita and WiiU, there is no such thing as a dead console to me :P

#12 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89 said:

@Solaryellow said:

I heard about this already- Potential direct announcement on February 13 with the actual direct being on the 14th.

Doesn't mean anything they announce will release before June though....

"It's especially worth checking out if you're a Metroid fan disappointed with the recent Metroid Prime 4 delay. According to the rumours, the Metroid Prime Trilogy will be announced for Switch during the imminent event. Super Mario Maker 2 is also tipped for the Nintendo Switch, so it's possible we'll see that.

Nintendo will reportedly release 11 major new Switch games in 2019.This includes four mystery new releases, two new eShop games, two potential Wii U ports, another Labo kit, the aforementioned Metroid Prime Trilogy and a secret game from Retro Studios. Other contenders include the Pokemon RPG, a new 2D Zelda game and Pikmin 3."

Is anyone really asking for Mario Maker 2? Also, a Metroid trilogy, two potential Wii U ports, another Labo kit (lol), don't count. It would be nice to see a new Zelda and Pikmin 3 announced though. And of course, there's that Pokemon game I've been talking about.

#13 Edited by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -

@jcrame10: Fire Emblem and Daemon Ex Machina are slated for Spring and waiting to be dated.

Also... Uh, remind me when Nintendo announced Yoshi's release date again?

#14 Edited by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: I'd like to see Fire Emblem come out by May, there's been no footage or even announcements since summer 2018 though.

#15 Edited by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: Also I just realized the clever wording here:

"Nintendo will reportedly release 11 major newSwitch games in2019. This includes four mystery new releases, two new eShop games, two potential Wii U ports, another Labo kit, the aforementioned Metroid Prime Trilogy and a secret game from Retro Studios. Other contenders include the Pokemon RPG, a new 2D Zelda game and Pikmin 3."

So we're counting Wii U ports, Labo kits, and a Metroid trilogy collection as part of the "11 major new Switch games in 2019"?

#16 Posted by Mandzilla (3272 posts) -

Meh, not holding out much hope. At this point I'm used to disappointing Valentine's Days lol.

#17 Edited by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89 said:

@jcrame10: Fire Emblem and Daemon Ex Machina are slated for Spring and waiting to be dated.

March 29

#18 Posted by Solaryellow (4605 posts) -

@techhog89 said:

@Solaryellow said:

A port would satisfy the 20 million, no? What could be added to the original to justify a sequel?

#19 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@davillain- said:
@uninspiredcup said:

What a shame! I still game on my Vita and WiiU, there is no such thing as a dead console to me :P

The only Major Wii U games needing ported to Switch by this point are Super Mario 3D World (most likely happening) and Pikmin 3 (most likely not happening).

As for other titles, I could see the Metroid Prime trilogy collection and Super Mario Galaxy collection making their way to Switch too.

#20 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@Solaryellow said:
@techhog89 said:

@Solaryellow said:

A port would satisfy the 20 million, no? What could be added to the original to justify a sequel?

Don't even see how a game of this nature could have a sequel. If anything they'll just port over all the assets from the first and slap a "2" on the title of the game

#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

The only Major Wii U games needing ported to Switch by this point are Super Mario 3D World (most likely happening) and Pikmin 3 (most likely not happening).

As for other titles, I could see the Metroid Prime trilogy collection and Super Mario Galaxy collection making their way to Switch too.

How would they do the motion / waggle controls?

#22 Posted by phbz (4072 posts) -

Metriod Prime trilogy or Galaxy 1/2 would make me a very happy Switch owner. A new Mario Maker would make me go hysterical.

#23 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@jcrame10 said:

How would they do the motion / waggle controls?

The joycons and the Switch Pro controller both have some sort of motion controls and gyroscope controls to them.

Or they could just not be cheap and redesign the games to be played with modern controls. I'd buy both collections at $60 a piece if they actually did that. Same thing with Skyward Sword.

#24 Posted by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:
@techhog89 said:

March 29

No, I know the date. I want you to tell me when the date was announced. By your logic it mist have been before December, right?

#25 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: it’s been announced for a couple years, slated for spring and then just recently was given an official date. It’s also had multiple gameplay demos in the past few years which is way more than something like Pikmin 3 or Luigi’s mansion or fire emblem has been given.

The game was announced at E3 2017 and was scheduled for a 2018 release.[5] Footage of the game was shown during the Nintendo Treehouse Live event at E3 2017, where footage of the front and backsides of multiple levels were shown.[4] The reveal footage showed the game taking a cardboard cutout-type art style for the game's graphics, similar to how Yoshi's Woolly World was themed around characters and worlds made out of wool[6] and Kirby's Epic Yarn with its yarn-based themes.[7] The game is being built using Unreal Engine 4.[8] In June 2018, Nintendo confirmed that the game was delayed and would be released in 2019.[9] In January 2019, Nintendo announced in a standalone tweet that Yoshi's Crafted World would release on March 29, 2019.[10]

#26 Edited by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@techhog89: it’s been announced for a couple years, slated for spring and then just recently was given an official date. It’s also had multiple gameplay demos in the past few years which is way more than something like Pikmin 3 or Luigi’s mansion or fire emblem has been given.

The game was announced at E3 2017 and was scheduled for a 2018 release.[5] Footage of the game was shown during the Nintendo Treehouse Live event at E3 2017, where footage of the front and backsides of multiple levels were shown.[4] The reveal footage showed the game taking a cardboard cutout-type art style for the game's graphics, similar to how Yoshi's Woolly World was themed around characters and worlds made out of wool[6] and Kirby's Epic Yarn with its yarn-based themes.[7] The game is being built using Unreal Engine 4.[8] In June 2018, Nintendo confirmed that the game was delayed and would be released in 2019.[9] In January 2019, Nintendo announced in a standalone tweet that Yoshi's Crafted World would release on March 29, 2019.[10]

Fire Emblem was also slated for 2018 but delayed. You somehow think it's coming in 2020 though which is just... lol. How do you legitimately think that Nintendo only has 1 game for the whole year?

I don't know why you're choosing this hill to die on.

#27 Edited by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: you’re so desperate to win this argument that you don’t even read the things I say. I’ve said multiple times they have no games coming the first half of the year. I believe fire emblem and some other titles will come late summer and into the fall/Christmas time

#28 Edited by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@techhog89: you’re so desperate to win this argument that you don’t even read the things I say. I’ve said multiple times they have no games coming the first half of the year. I believe fire emblem and some other titles will come late summer and into the fall/Christmas time

And you'll be wrong. You think Nintendo's only going to show late summer and later titles in a February Direct? Good luck with that one. Your reasoning isn't even good. You just think that Nintendo is Sony for some reason.

If you're proven wrong, are you going to own up to it, or will you move the goalpost again? I think you'll say the former but do the latter. :)

#29 Posted by AJStyles (442 posts) -

If this is true, than that sounds like a terrible 2019 for the switch.

How can any of you be excited for SNES games and call Super Mario World/Super Metroid “heavy hitters” in 2019? The games are 25 years old lmao

#30 Posted by VFighter (4313 posts) -

Mario Maker 2 please!!!!!!!

#31 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: I’ve said the same statement multiple times now. But let’s worry about the direct actually being confirmed first.

I’d be thrilled to be wrong and playing fire emblem by March or April.

#32 Posted by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@techhog89: I’ve said the same statement multiple times now. But let’s worry about the direct actually being confirmed first.

I’d be thrilled to be wrong and playing fire emblem by March or April.

More likely April or May. Perhaps May since MK11 is in April.

It's not the holiday title though. That's Pokemon. Also, have you seen this? https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/08/luigis-mansion-animal-crossing-nintendo-switch-release-date-leak/

#33 Posted by DocSanchez (5097 posts) -

The thirst. "Give me a game, any game, even one I've already bought twice already!" Metroid Prime Trilogy is a game I've had twice. Even me. I had two of them on cube and the package on wii, it's done.

#34 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89: I’ve never really been into the AC games but wouldn’t be surprised if a new one was coming

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#35 Posted by SolidGame_basic (23719 posts) -
@vfighter said:

I'm curious to see how many people will be hyped for this game, but then hate on a game like Dreams, lol.

#36 Posted by Random_Matt (3685 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

@techhog89: I’ve never really been into the AC games but wouldn’t be surprised if a new one was coming

Adults play animal crossing? Wow, just wow. And they wonder why Nintendo is perceived as a kiddie platform.

#37 Posted by robert_sparkes (2316 posts) -

metroid trilogy is what interests me don't care for Mario maker as I hate creating but can see the appeal.

#38 Posted by MonsieurX (38629 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:
@vfighter said:

I'm curious to see how many people will be hyped for this game, but then hate on a game like Dreams, lol.

Why are you even comparing the games?

#39 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (18244 posts) -

Metroid Trilogy would be awesome, and a new 2D Zelda would go down nicely.

But what would make me really excited is a Wind Waker port on Switch!

#40 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@Random_Matt: I don’t personally have a problem with animal crossing just never really got in to them. The whole life sim genre isn’t really for me. I own new leaf on 3DS and the original GameCube game but never completed either

#41 Posted by Archangel3371 (26916 posts) -

Yeah I think we’ll see a Direct this week, at least I hope so. I would love to see Metroid Prime Trilogy come out soon on the Switch. Would also love to see Mario Maker, Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, and/or Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as well.

#42 Posted by sakaiXx (4832 posts) -

Hope no ports announcements and all new game 🙏

#43 Posted by Techhog89 (3539 posts) -
@jcrame10 said:

... It's literally been announced. You were told this last time.

#44 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

The joycons and the Switch Pro controller both have some sort of motion controls and gyroscope controls to them.

Or they could just not be cheap and redesign the games to be played with modern controls. I'd buy both collections at $60 a piece if they actually did that. Same thing with Skyward Sword.

I'd buy Skyward Sword if they got rid of waggle controls.

But Switch games can't be dependent on motion controls, because it needs to work for handheld mode as well.

#45 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@techhog89 said:
@jcrame10 said:

... It's literally been announced. You were told this last time.

Honestly I forgot lol

#46 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@jcrame10 said:

I'd buy Skyward Sword if they got rid of waggle controls.

But Switch games can't be dependent on motion controls, because it needs to work for handheld mode as well.

how about get rid of motion controls altogether

#47 Posted by VFighter (4313 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic: I'm hyped for both!!!

#48 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30168 posts) -

@jcrame10 said:

Wipe it off the face of the earth, gotya

Just toss it in a bag along with smartphone gaming and throw it in the ocean.

#49 Posted by Basinboy (13765 posts) -

Meh, send me the cliffnotes.

Only item I have a predisposition toward is SM3D World, otherwise I’ll approach everything else a la carte.

#50 Posted by jcrame10 (4830 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@jcrame10 said:

Wipe it off the face of the earth, gotya

Just toss it in a bag along with smartphone gaming and throw it in the ocean.

If only