Rumor: Sony working on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal 2 for PS5 launch

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Rumor: Sony working on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royal 2 for PS5 launch (56 votes)

Oh yeah! 36%
Why? 64%

https://screenrant.com/playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-2-ps5-rumors/

According to a post on Reddit detailing a supposed leak from a Capcom USA developer, the sequel will be called PlayStation All-Stars Arena and release as a launch title for the PlayStation 5. The stated information goes on to detail gameplay which "plays like Dissidia mixed with Power Stone" and describes a game that is fully 3D in order to distance itself from the Super Smash Bros. series from which it originally drew inspiration, with an art style composed of cartoon backgrounds and cel-shaded characters.

Characters that will supposedly be appearing in the upcoming sequel include Jill Valentine from the Resident Evil series, Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid, the recently purchased Spider-Man, and Aloy from Horizon: Zero Dawn. With the Spyro Reignited Trilogy remake and recent Crash Team Racing game having brought their respective franchise mascots back into public view, their appearance on the rumored list of confirmed fighters is no surprise. The full roster is said to include:

• Nathan Drake
  • Kratos
  • Sack Boy
  • Ratchet and Clank
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Spider-Man
  • Aloy
  • Helghast Soldier
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Spyro the Dragon
  • Tomb Raider
  • Jill Valentine
  • Sir Daniel Fortesque
  • Kat
  • Dante
  • Parappa The Rapper
  • Ellie
  • Delsin Rowe
  • Cloud
  • Solid Snake
  • Ryu
  • Chun Li

I played the original PlayStation All-Stars, and I'm surprised that there may be a sequel in the works. But hey, I'm open to it as long as it's much better than the original. The first one was a half assed effort in my opinion. Especially when you compare it to Smash Bros.

What do you think, SW? Is this true? Do you want it to be true? lol.

• 
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Considering there is already a fan dev in dreams working on it, don't thinnk they are.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

didn't the last one bomb?

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

The 3rd party roster looks fake af , but if they ever attempted this again it would HAVE TO HAVE Spyro and Crash at least.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

Lol they embarrassed themselves the first time around trying to copy the Smash Bros. formula. At this point I don't even see what's the bother with trying to do it again when Smash Bros. Ultimate is setting the bar so high for the brawler genre that I don't think any other game will ever even come close to it, not even a future Smash Bros. game.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I enjoyed the first game for the most part. I appreciated that while it was trying to SB it was different enough gameplay wise to have some fun in and play against friends that also had much love for PlayStation mascots.

This rumored list actually looks doable and I don’t have anything problems with it. I’m more concerned about the dissidia style which I dunno how they intend to pull that off. Even Dissidia NT couldn’t do the dissidia style right, lol.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

Yeeeeah I doubt that. The Smash wannabees by far and large get ignored. It's not worth chasing. The only reason Smash really took off in the first place is the fact that Nintendo fans are kind of a death cult that worship all the characters the company produces.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jaydan
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Yeeeeah I doubt that. The Smash wannabees by far and large get ignored. It's not worth chasing. The only reason Smash really took off in the first place is the fact that Nintendo fans are kind of a death cult that worship all the characters the company produces.

I know this might come as a complete shock to you: but Smash Bros. is also just a far superior game package than Playstation All-stars in general, both over gameplay and content. That has much more to do with Smash being a more popular franchise.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#9 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 2563 Posts

It would be great if it were a minigame collection instead of just trying to copy smash.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10612 Posts

@jaydan:

Well if you're comparing the latest SSB to PASBR, then yeah, but if we're comparing the SSB iteration that was up for the challenge when PASBR released (SSBB) then there were some things that PASBR did better than SSBB. Some of these things that PASBR did better was not only very noticeable, but also could be looked as an important asset.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Roster looks like a dream come true. Hence dream. Fake. Fanboy dream.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:

didn't the last one bomb?

The last one was lazily done, no effort. Boring backgrounds and stills for story cutscenes. Also it didn't help a lot of the characters and stages were total obvious cashgrabs- using the new Dante to promote the upcoming DMC remake instead of the original Dante, throwing in Big Daddy and a BioShock Infinite stage, Using Raiden instead of Snake to promote Metal Gear Rising. It was tacky.

If they do it again, they definitely need to include all the classic PS characters and use the best versions of them. I'm talking orginal Dante, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Lara Croft, Cloud, Solid Snake, Rayman, Gex and Croc gotta be there next to Sweet Tooth, Nathan Drake, Kratos, Cole, Parappa, Sir Dante and Sackboy.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BenjaminBanklin

@jaydan said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

I know this might come as a complete shock to you: but Smash Bros. is also just a far superior game package than Playstation All-stars in general, both over gameplay and content. That has much more to do with Smash being a more popular franchise.

That would come as a shock to me, because if you did the exact same game anywhere else it wouldn't be 1/20th as popular. Not a lot of people would find a game of this type engaging on other platforms. This game is popular because of Nintendo power, period.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jaydan
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jaydan said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

That would come as a shock to me, because if you did the exact same game anywhere else it wouldn't be 1/20th as popular. Not a lot of people would find a game of this type engaging on other platforms. This game is popular because of Nintendo power, period.

Are you sure of that? There just happens to not be a game franchise of this pedigree or quality on any other platform. Sure, there are brawlers out there, but none of them come up to the quality of Smash Bros.

OF COURSE Nintendo has a lot to do with the success as well, because they're the ones that created it and made it into a successful franchise in the first place, but to look at that as the only reason for its success is very shortsighted only someone that doesn't actually play the series can come up with. That to me is about as dumb as saying "the Uncharted games are only successful because of Sony - they made the games."

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BenjaminBanklin

@jaydan said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Are you sure of that? There just happens to not be a game franchise of this pedigree or quality on any other platform. Sure, there are brawlers out there, but none of them come up to the quality of Smash Bros.

OF COURSE Nintendo has a lot to do with the success as well, because they're the ones that created it and made it into a successful franchise in the first place, but to look at that as the only reason for its success is very shortsighted only someone that doesn't actually play the series can come up with. That to me is about as dumb as saying "the Uncharted games are only successful because of Sony - they made the games."

That would be pretty dumb because Uncharted isn't a party game made up of nostalgia-fueled characters. It's the reason Nintendo exclusives tend to tower above their third party contemporaries on their platforms, quality aside. Branding trumps all in this case. It's a game where the reveal of characters are more celebrated over the gameplay itself.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jaydan
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jaydan said:
@BenjaminBanklin said:

That would be pretty dumb because Uncharted isn't a party game made up of nostalgia-fueled characters. It's the reason Nintendo exclusives tend to tower above their third party contemporaries on their platforms, quality aside. Branding trumps all in this case. It's a game where the reveal of characters are more celebrated over the gameplay itself.

The point of my Uncharted example is it's dumb to say the parent company is responsible for the franchise's success. It does not matter what genre of game it is, that is just a dumb "no shit" moment.

I can assure you: if the gameplay for the Smash Bros. series sucked, then it would not have ever gotten as far as it has gotten.

There are a number of qualities that have made the franchise successful over the years, and YES having a crossover between iconic 1st and 3rd-party characters/worlds in the mix is a big factor, but it also has a lot to do with the fact it has solid gameplay and customization. With the amount of fighters in a roster, it is respectable just how balanced the game actually is, and that is a common issue other fighting games might confront. The sheer amount of content in each Smash Bros. game is quite baffling.

There is reason why Smash Bros. is a more successful brawler than any other brawler in the market. The appeal of it being the biggest crossover game series in the market is just tip of the iceberg. Without the gameplay and content it would have never gotten this far. Playstation All-Stars equally had a chance to being a giant crossover brawler as well, but unfortunately those ambitions ended when the gameplay was not up to satisfaction for most consumers that played the game.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26095 Posts

It's a smart idea for Sony to do, but considering how the last one came out, they will probably completely botch the gameplay (just like last time), they will completely drop the ball on roster (just like last time), and be completely confused why everyone hates it and it fails (just like last time).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

Well I can certainly understand why they might be making another game like that but it’s not something that I’d be interested in though. I’ll stick with Super Smash Bros.

TJDMHEM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TJDMHEM
Member since 2006 • 3260 Posts

that would be great.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
deactivated-5f4e2292197f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f4e2292197f1
Member since 2015 • 1374 Posts

Why not.

Just don't copy Smash mechanics cause they are lame.

I wouldn't do it unless they have their own brand new fighting.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

Hopefully they can get s.kill back on board if true.

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BenjaminBanklin

@jaydan said:

The point of my Uncharted example is it's dumb to say the parent company is responsible for the franchise's success. It does not matter what genre of game it is, that is just a dumb "no shit" moment.

I can assure you: if the gameplay for the Smash Bros. series sucked, then it would not have ever gotten as far as it has gotten.

There are a number of qualities that have made the franchise successful over the years, and YES having a crossover between iconic 1st and 3rd-party characters/worlds in the mix is a big factor, but it also has a lot to do with the fact it has solid gameplay and customization. With the amount of fighters in a roster, it is respectable just how balanced the game actually is, and that is a common issue other fighting games might confront. The sheer amount of content in each Smash Bros. game is quite baffling.

There is reason why Smash Bros. is a more successful brawler than any other brawler in the market. The appeal of it being the biggest crossover game series in the market is just tip of the iceberg. Without the gameplay and content it would have never gotten this far. Playstation All-Stars equally had a chance to being a giant crossover brawler as well, but unfortunately those ambitions ended when the gameplay was not up to satisfaction for most consumers that played the game.

Nah. If Smash was a third party game with characters no one ever heard of, that thing would be sitting a whole 15 points lower on the Meta scale. I don't think it's any secret that Smash gets a boost from being a Nintendo wankfest. If that's what it sells on, so be it. I mean, hell, Starfox hasn't had a good game in years. That doesn't mean Nintendo fans would jump all over the next one if they made it for Switch.

Nintendo gives their diehard fans the warm and fuzzies. Out of the current platform holders, Nintendo is the gaming equivalent of a security blanket. They don't have to try as hard as the others, they just have to bring the feels.

Smash was a simple party game that people made overly complex because Nintendo kids in the 3D era didn't have access to tournament-level fighters, so they found and exploited every nuance to that one to the chagrin of the devs who didn't intend to make it a serious fighter. The very definition of "It's not a bug, it's a feature". All the mechanics that the game is sporting now initially came by accident.

It's a franchise that's sporting just about every major Nintendo character at its disposal. I mean, even if it were lackluster, it's not going to stop every Nintendo loyalist from buying it. It's kind of a teflon franchise at this point.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7259 Posts

I think it's good they are trying to distance themselves from Smash Bros this time (and I personally prefer my arena brawlers in 3D). However, I think part of the problem is most Sony franchises take themselves really seriously, and that doesn't translate well to goofy fan service. Having Ellie take a break from mercy killings to throw down with Parapa the Rapa is bound to create a certain amount of cognitive dissonance.

If it's fun I'll play it, but this just isn't the type of thing your typical Sony fan is looking for.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

Wouldn't be surprised if Masahiro Sakurai appears on one of Sony's future State of Play directs, confirming Waluigi for Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal 2 to further troll the Smash fans who keep asking for him.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 judaspete

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@jaydan said:

Nah. If Smash was a third party game with characters no one ever heard of, that thing would be sitting a whole 15 points lower on the Meta scale. I don't think it's any secret that Smash gets a boost from being a Nintendo wankfest. If that's what it sells on, so be it. I mean, hell, Starfox hasn't had a good game in years. That doesn't mean Nintendo fans would jump all over the next one if they made it for Switch.

Nintendo gives their diehard fans the warm and fuzzies. Out of the current platform holders, Nintendo is the gaming equivalent of a security blanket. They don't have to try as hard as the others, they just have to bring the feels.

Smash was a simple party game that people made overly complex because Nintendo kids in the 3D era didn't have access to tournament-level fighters, so they found and exploited every nuance to that one to the chagrin of the devs who didn't intend to make it a serious fighter. The very definition of "It's not a bug, it's a feature". All the mechanics that the game is sporting now initially came by accident.

It's a franchise that's sporting just about every major Nintendo character at its disposal. I mean, even if it were lackluster, it's not going to stop every Nintendo loyalist from buying it. It's kind of a teflon franchise at this point.

I think you made a grammatical error here and are trying to say Nintedo fans will buy Starfox no matter what. If that is the case, I just want to point out that Starfox Zero bombed.

Also, Powerstone 2 is a similar game to Smash that has a meta score of 87%. Which is only 5 or 6 points lower depending which entry you compare it with :).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Um, no.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin said:

The irony here is that Sony has played it safe all gen with its identical sequels and extremely narrow formula for its major titles. They're way too scared to do a BOTW-esque reinvention of one of their major IPs - not when they know Sony fans will simply buy another identical Uncharted or Last of Us game.

As for not having to try as hard as others, that's odd, because Nintendo keep churning out excellent games. For example, Fire Emblem Three Houses is loaded with well over 150 hours of content, where it could have easily been 50 hours and people wouldn't have complained.

As for Smash Bros Ultimate, it doesn't just play on Nintendo nostalgia - the game is a love letter to gaming in general. It is jam-packed with references and characters from tons of non-Nintendo franchises, and it treats them with as much love and respect as they give their own IPs. The Persona 5 DLC is a perfect example - it is a top-quality product that ultimately advertises a Playstation franchise, and yet you can tell a ton of time went into designing every aspect of the DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

I don't know what this is and never heard of the first PlayStation All-Star game.

This is like trying to sell me crack.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1430 Posts

Dissidia SUCKS.

Powerstone is awesome.

I have no idea what to think right now LOL

BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin

@judaspete said:

I think you made a grammatical error here and are trying to say Nintedo fans will buy Starfox no matter what. If that is the case, I just want to point out that Starfox Zero bombed.

Also, Powerstone 2 is a similar game to Smash that has a meta score of 87%. Which is only 5 or 6 points lower depending which entry you compare it with :).

I think you're correct. I did make a mistake there.

Also, Powerstone isn't even in the same stratosphere as Smash when it comes to sales. It will forever remain just a cult favorite. Now, take that same game, put some Nintendo characters and some Nintendo-themed levels in it, and watch it sell millions.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I know the first one was trash, especially how you could only kill someone with a special move.

Hated that pos game

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Tomb Raider.. as in Lara Croft? Anyways though.. meh.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

If there's one thing that PSASBR did right, it's the whole "Worlds Collide" thing. Didn't the Uncharted stage have elements of Bioshock, while Hades had Patapon?

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7229 Posts

There's lots of interesting options with the stages but also with characters. Spider-Man possibly up against Kratos and Nathan drake. It needs to be handled better than the previous game.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

That wasn't a full priced game for me. Maybe after a price drop but not at full price. Plus it has to be more fun than the last one.

Additions of Lara Croft, Jill Valentine and potentially Chris Redfield would be welcome.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

This would be most awesome and certainly welcomed.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 judaspete

@BenjaminBanklin: Oh I totally agree on sales. I was just pointing out that critics gave Power Stone 2 a score that was not that far off from the scores they gave Smash. And that game had 5 stages.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

Flop or not this type of game with Kratos, Aloy, and Cloud would be epic. I can already see the epic crossover battles. First game is not that good, though. I'll admit that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Why?