StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rumor-sony-to-acquire-bluepoint-games-very-soon.324523/

Take with a grain of salt, but the timeline given is that it will happen before February 28, 2021.

I talked/teased on the forum about something I've heard from someone I know personally a few days ago. I also talked with Transistor about it.

I'll be very upfront and say I wasn't able to verify both of my "sources" to the team over at ERA. The reason I couldn't verify my second source is that the source wouldn't comply. I know that raises some alarms, but I have chosen to believe this particular source for multiple reasons.

According to my source that is familiar with the development team Bluepoint Games, they're finalizing a deal right now. It seems like Demon's Souls was kind of the "final test", and based on positive reactions, and the fact that Bluepoints work ethic has proven impressive once again Sony started acquisition-based talks with the studio.

The important parts of the deal are as follows

From Bluepoint's angle:

• They want to make sure they get a shot at an original IP, they don't want to be simply a "remake studio" (Even if they make more remakes)
  • While they value and love their independence, they also realize the industry is rapidly growing and evolving. They feel comfortable with their existing partnership with Sony and decided to sell to them.

From Sony's angle:

• Very impressed with the work-ethic from Bluepoint. Creates groundbreaking remakes, at a good pace.
  • They have a good relationship with other SIE studios, particularly Sony Japan Studios that they worked together with during both Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls. (Ape Escape fans, whatupppp) ((that wasn't an ape escape remake teaser, literally don't know anything about what they're doing after souls))
  • The expertise, skill, and tech that Bluepoint has for their remakes can be used for future projects not necessarily made by them. (In other words, if Team Asobi decides to create an Ape Escape Remake, they can go to Bluepoint for help)

The deal is being finalized and should be announced shortly, the time period I've been given is that it'll happen before February 28th. If it doesn't, it might not happen/be false information given to me. This means that you're free to discredit me as it most likely won't happen for one reason or another. (Feel free to do so earlier, if you feel like it) If for example Bluepoint or Sony declines this rumor, once again feel free to discredit me. I want to be crystal clear that I've gotten this piece of information from someone I trust, that I believe have a very good reason to know something like this.

I've talked with Transistor the last few days and agreed on the following:

If this doesn't happen before February 28th, they'll ban my account and I'll leave this site forever. IF THIS HAPPENS, PLEASE READ: I beg some of you to carry my Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 hopes up. I need to know that the hype train will never die! We'll one day get a Playstation crossover <3

Until the announcement, all I can say is: Enjoy next-gen everyone. I hope some of you get to play the new consoles, I can't wait until the 19th when it lands in Europe. Also feel free to send questions and I'll do my best to reply to them.

So there you go Cows. Microsoft gets Bethesda (and probably Bungie/Sega/CDPR/FromSoftware/WB Interactive) and Sony gets a studio that makes remakes. And balance is restored to System Wars!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

That's stupid, I mean they are awesome at what they do no doubt, but they seem to love Sony so much I would bet they would work for peanuts. That money should be going to lock down third party exclusive DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Phil has already said they are not buying any JP studio.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Generally not a fan of these acquisitions, but can't say I care either way here.

Bluepoint has shown that they're a solid development house. As for what kind of games they'd actually design, or how good they'd be, who knows?

They're essentially a tribute band at this point. A talented one for sure, but unproven with original works.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Would be a great addition to Sony!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Kind of a natural progression for them at this point. If so, hopefully we can get more original games from them, rather than just remakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

They should, they're super comfortable with the hardware and talented.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

As Sony should. They are the masters of remaking games and they're the best at what they do, but I'd like to see that studio make an original games if given the chance.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

Don't see what's special about them. They haven't made any originals yet and seems to make no business sense knowing they can forever be hired for cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well if Sony buys them they can look forward to a life of remaking other peoples work lol.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Never seen the logo come across my screen so I doubt this matters to me. They make Souls games which I don’t play. Have at em sony!

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7231 Posts

They should it makes perfect sense they have been working together for a while.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#14 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

A bit risky, but probably a good purchase... ...eventually. They've proven to be competent re-makers, but the real challenge will be when they start their own IP. Only then will we know if Sony have spent their money wisely.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

They listened to me. Intelligent species.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: i agree - watching that long video on Demon's Souls today, it was clear they could make technically impressive games, but we just have no idea what they can do in terms of systems, story, and raw design. I'm happy to see it put to the test - maybe they would be just as good on those fronts and build something amazing from scratch. But we have no evidence

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Very smart move from SONY...........

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

I can't wait for Bloodborne Remake for PS6 :)

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

@st_monica said:

I can't wait for Bloodborne Remake for PS6 :)

how about a Bloodborne Remaster for the PS5....?? :)

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

It certainly wouldn’t surprise as they seem to work pretty closely with Sony already. While they do seem to be quite talented in the remake department, they’re capabilities on making original stuff is an unknown. It would be interesting to see what kind of original game they would make.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

@madrocketeer: If Sony buys them I believe it will be to keep making remasters for the rest of their existence.

me2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 me2002
Member since 2002 • 3058 Posts

Jak and Daxter re-imagine or reboot.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Bluepoint are American.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#24  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
@ghost_of_phobos said:

@madrocketeer: If Sony buys them I believe it will be to keep making remasters for the rest of their existence.

Going by Sony's track record with other studios they own, I doubt that. They seem to value creative freedom, at least to some degree.

Sony are not Activision.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hardwenzen

SOCOM remake confirmed.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

They've made remasters?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ConanTheStoner
@Chutebox said:

They've made remasters?

Yeah, majority of their work has been ports and remasters. I think SotC and DeS are their only full blown remakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Chutebox said:

They've made remasters?

Yeah, majority of their work has been ports and remasters. I think SotC and DeS are their only full blown remakes.

They're not even full blown remakes. Demon's Souls, for example, has code from the original game.

https://youtu.be/iQXBMiLSYJo?t=185

3:05

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

They should stick with what they are good at. Ready at dawn stretched their wings a bit and look how that turned out...

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chutebox

@ConanTheStoner said:
@Chutebox said:

They've made remasters?

I did not know this. SotC was the first I've heard of them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner
@ezekiel43 said:

They're not even full blown remakes. Demon's Souls, for example, has code from the original game.

Damn, had no idea, that's actually great news. My biggest concern was with them missing the mark on the core play.

@Chutebox said:

I did not know this. SotC was the first I've heard of them.

Yeah, think my first go with their stuff was with the MGS and Team Ico collections, but pretty sure there's been a few others.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chutebox

@ConanTheStoner: Ha, I freaking have the Team Ico collection.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: Bethesda is a big Studio, all MS is doing is trying to buy big Developers like Bethesda and who knows Sega Capcom so on because thats all they know to create monopoly just like with windows they did

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

I'd love to see a new IP from these guys. Sony, give them what they want and let them create!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@sheep99 said:

@StrongDeadlift: Bethesda is a big Studio, all MS is doing is trying to buy big Developers like Bethesda and who knows Sega Capcom so on because thats all they know to create monopoly just like with windows they did

This sounds like the plan with MS. They're tired of the optics of struggling to sell hardware against Sony, so they're gonna try to consolidate as much of this industry that they can. If they can finally squeeze an opponent out of the market once and for all, they won't have to bleed as much of their cash on hand trying to prop up Xbox anymore when there's no direct competition.

Their profits are already huge, but that's even more money they get to keep when they don't have to continue wasting money to make Xbox an attractive buy.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hardwenzen

Would be funny to see if my idea for Bluepoint is what's Sony is planning for them. Remake the old Sony classics, see how they do sales wise, if they sell well and there's interest, Sony can invest in a brand new game for the series and resurect their old franchises by doing it safely without over investing.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

@locopatho said:
@Random_Matt said:

Bluepoint are American.

I know, my comment was in response to another comment.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hardwenzen said:

Would be funny to see if my idea for Bluepoint is what's Sony is planning for them. Remake the old Sony classics, see how they do sales wise, if they sell well and there's interest, Sony can invest in a brand new game for the series and resurect their old franchises by doing it safely without over investing.

You want to keep them stuck working on others work. Let them make a new ip, and lets see what they're got, because as of now they're nothing more than a tribute band, or a lookalike lol.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hardwenzen

@i_p_daily said:
@hardwenzen said:

You want to keep them stuck working on others work. Let them make a new ip, and lets see what they're got, because as of now they're nothing more than a tribute band, or a lookalike lol.

You're just mad because MS didn't get them. If they did, they could've remade Infinite at the same time 343i was building the game 😊

Oh and when Demon's Souls sales come in, your "niche title" will be heavily exposed. You're not ready for this. You will suffer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@hardwenzen said:
@i_p_daily said:
@hardwenzen said:

You're just mad because MS didn't get them. If they did, they could've remade Infinite at the same time 343i was building the game 😊

Oh and when Demon's Souls sales come in, your "niche title" will be heavily exposed. You're not ready for this. You will suffer.

Mad because MS isn't buying a developer that has NEVER made an original ip, and just piggy backs off of others work LOL.

The fact this is a launch title is the only way this can sell well as it will have little competition from the get go. And what are you going to do if the SM DLC sells more than it, cry?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

@louixiii said:

I'd love to see a new IP from these guys. Sony, give them what they want and let them create!

I'd like to see them make a new SOCOM game. Rumors have been circulating for a couple years that they are working on one in collaboration with either Guerilla Games 2nd studio or SONY San Diego's 2nd studio.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

@davillain- said:

As Sony should. They are the masters of remaking games and they're the best at what they do, but I'd like to see that studio make an original games if given the chance.

Same, I can't judge them on improving others work. Nothing negative, I'm just indifferent to them right now. Doesn't have to be anything flashy, even if it's like some decent arcade game on the level of Streets of Rage 4 or even something like Geometry Wars. Just want to see their talent and individualism in some way.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@WitIsWisdom said:
@louixiii said:

I'd like to see them make a new SOCOM game. Rumors have been circulating for a couple years that they are working on one in collaboration with either Guerilla Games 2nd studio or SONY San Diego's 2nd studio.

No...let them make a new IP. This guys need their own mark, not someone else's.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Steady stream of rehash confirmed. Cows should be happy with the milking.