Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

https://gearnuke.com/sony-planning-backward-compatibility-for-ps5-rumor/

Sony has registered a new patent that seems to be suggesting support of backward compatibility for the PS5. Read on see why the patent could suggest we could be getting the ability to play our PS4, PS3, PS2 and PS1 games on the Playstation 5.

The patent titled “Remastering by emulation” is registered to Sony Interactive Entertainment America LLC, the parent company of the Playstation brand.

Each asset such as a texture called for by legacy software such as a legacy computer game software has a unique identifier associated with it. The unique identifier can be rendered by imposing a hash on the asset, and then the asset stored with its identifier in a data structure. An artist remasters the textures for presentation on a higher resolution display than envisioned in the original software, and stores them back in the data structure with their identifiers. The original software is then played on the higher resolution display, with asset (such as texture) calls being intercepted, identified, and the data structure entered to retrieve the remastered asset having a matching identifier. The remastered asset is then inserted on the fly into the game presentation.

I think Sony is pissed, they are going after every Bone selling point.

Link71113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Link71113
Member since 2003 • 180 Posts

Wow. I dunno if I care too much for this but it’s nice for people who do. Then again, maybe I will play Xenogears again.

Although if they do this, what else is there for people to complain about?!?

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

Not going to be able to play PS3 era games unless they are re-done to work on x86 hardware or it will be a streaming service. PS1 and PS2 can be emulated while PS4 is based on same standard as PS5 so that's a no brainer.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm hoping by emulation they mean emulating the console operating system allowing us to use all our owned games, and not emulating so they can sell ISO's of games we already own.

Because, if they do actually make it true backwards compatibility, I may need to get a PS5. I've got a massive PS/PS2/PS3 library that sits unplayed because I don't have the room to setup all those consoles.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#5 freedom01  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

If true, that would be nice, though there can be possibilities of being like what it was during the PS3/PSP/Vita, meaning like what Nintendo has been doing with Virtual Console. We'll just have to wait and see what Sony has up in their sleeves for the PS5

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Neat. But I’ve long since decided that BC is a token feature to me. It mattered back in the PS2 era but I rarely ever find myself wanting to go back to previous eras.

Now if PS5 could wrap a trophy system around old games, I might be incentivized to revisit them again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5e081d8b4abb0
Member since 2017 • 1499 Posts

Cows don't like to play old games though so not sure how this will benefit them...

To the rest of the world; this is great news!

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

Not going to be able to play PS3 era games unless they are re-done to work on x86 hardware or it will be a streaming service. PS1 and PS2 can be emulated while PS4 is based on same standard as PS5 so that's a no brainer.

Meh. Cell was stamped at 90nm. We have gone so far with microchip architecture since that time that it's not unreasonable to think that its instruction set could be emulated across the space of a modern APU. Sony is an IP holder on CBE and probably has free reign to integrate it into whatever technology they wish. LS cache and even XDR aren't that much faster than standard off-the-shelf tech.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

Xbox is doomed lmao

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

Good. They should have been doing this for a while now. Pretending it's a "challenge" to do is a joke; PC can do across its infinite variations of hardware with the occasional problem, I am sure a console with literally one variation each gen can do it with no problem.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Expected

They seem to be copying everything else off Xbox, might as well copy this too

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts

RIP lems, no games and now no reason to cry about Sony anymore. All your entertainment is gone.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ReCloud

@RR360DD: ps2 had BC before Xbox even existed.

Ps2 had crossplay with pc on ffxi.

Lmao, you got owned.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shewgenja

@RR360DD said:

Expected

Funny, back when the PS3 had BC with the PS1 and PS2, ya'll HATED it.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReCloud

@zappat: what are they going tô bitch about next gen? Sony is covering all areas and has the best Exclusives, I wonder If the Xbox division Will survive next gen lmao

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ReCloud

@Shewgenja: ps2 had BC with PS1 even before Xbox existed.

He owned himself hard.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shewgenja

@recloud said:

@Shewgenja: ps2 had BC with PS1 even before Xbox existed.

He owned himself hard.

And it wasn't that watered down dog shit they call Backwards Compatibility, either. It was the real deal. No "list".

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Shewgenja said:
@04dcarraher said:

Meh. Cell was stamped at 90nm. We have gone so far with microchip architecture since that time that it's not unreasonable to think that its instruction set could be emulated across the space of a modern APU. Sony is an IP holder on CBE and probably has free reign to integrate it into whatever technology they wish. LS cache and even XDR aren't that much faster than standard off-the-shelf tech.

The problem is not because its a older processor based on 90nm. The Cell processor was not like any APU we have now or in the past. It is a proprietary hardware that is not based on x86. Between the PPE and SPE's processors being coded specifically coded to do cpu and gpu tasks to augment along with the RSX gpu(ie geforce 7). They have deconstruct the Cell architecture coding and re-code it for x86 along with moving those gpu based work loads back to the gpu that were done on some of the Cell's SPE's. They have to go by game by game basis because of the nature of each dev's coding methods of using the Cell. Memory space or bandwidth isn't an issue. It was the complex nature of the proprietary generalized processor they created that did not conform with the x86 base that is now the basis of PC/and current consoles .

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

That would be crazy if true. I might even be tempted to come over to the dark side.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

BC, crossplay, name changes

Xbots are going to be out of things to bitch about. Meanwhile PS5 will still have true must have exclusives while Xbox Two will have more garbage like Sea of Thieves 2 that will be on PC for anyone who wants to play it anyway. Oh and MS will still keep charging you for online for F2P games.

Zappat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zappat
Member since 2018 • 1592 Posts
@04dcarraher said:
@Shewgenja said:
@04dcarraher said:

The problem is not because its a older processor based on 90nm. The Cell processor was not like any APU we have now or in the past. It is a proprietary hardware that is not based on x86. Between the PPE and SPE's processors being coded specifically coded to do cpu and gpu tasks to augment along with the RSX gpu(ie geforce 7). They have deconstruct the Cell architecture coding and re-code it for x86 along with moving those gpu based work loads back to the gpu that were done on some of the Cell's SPE's. They have to go by game by game basis because of the nature of each dev's coding methods of using the Cell. Memory space or bandwidth isn't an issue. It was the complex nature of the proprietary generalized processor they created that did not conform with the x86 base that is now the basis of PC/and current consoles .

Sony already has an emulator for PS3

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@RR360DD said:

Expected

Xbox AND Nintendo. If they come up with an original idea, it'll be a day to mark on the calendar.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

So bc matters again to cows??

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shewgenja

@04dcarraher said:
@Shewgenja said:
@04dcarraher said:

Yeah, unless the PS5 has some seriously powerful hardware, it would be a hard case to emulate in an abstracted way, but those ICE guys at Sony are ludicrously good at that type of thing.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Who did BC first? PS1 to PS2 or GBA to DS?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

@recloud said:

@RR360DD: ps2 had BC before Xbox even existed.

Ps2 had crossplay with ffxi.

Lmao, you got owned.

And yet they stripped it away from the PS3 and then didn't bother with it on the PS4

I'm glad Xbox have knocked some sense back into them

LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

This is epic good news

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@dagubot: This isn't for the cows. This is for all the Lems that insist on BC. It'll be like how many Lems switched from 360 to PS4 this gen... Then again, I don't see how BC helps with that :/

LnV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 LnV
Member since 2018 • 151 Posts

Good...May just wait for Ps5 then...Not in a hurry to play the exclusives.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

@gamecubepad: Yeah, I think that's what they'll offer too. Disc based backwards compatibility for PS4 titles, and emulation through PS Now/PSN for select PS1-PS3 games.

Being able to just pop in all your old discs and play them at no additional charge on one console would make PS Now look terrible in comparison. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

It would sell like bonkers

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Maybe it's for PC. New and improved PS Now.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Wait a minute. I thought backwards compatibility was irrelevant and no one wants to play old games. ?

Anyway hopefully this is true and hopefully you can just put in the disc of a game you own and play for free any game you own because that would be great. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Cows will suddenly love old games again... lol.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Expected, but a good thing. It makes it an easier decision to dive in day 1 then.

sovkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sovkhan
Member since 2015 • 1591 Posts

Leave that for who are interested in BC!!!

I always keep my old hardware, so BC or not BC never was the question!!! ^^

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

This is stupid on Sony's part. A very few amount of people care about BC. They won this gen without it. It will only increase the consoles price.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I haven't wanted to pay more than $400 for PS5 but I would be willing to pay more for this feature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@blackballs said:

This is stupid on Sony's part. A very few amount of people care about BC. They won this gen without it. It will only increase the consoles price.

Would be even more stupid if the PS5 doesn't have full PS4 BC.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

@boycie said:
@blackballs said:

Why?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

@blackballs said:
@boycie said:
@blackballs said:

Why?

Because PS4 is just X86 architecture just as the PS5 will be. No PS4 BC on PS5 would be an arbitrary decision from Sony to sell you the games again.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@blackballs said:

If they're doing it by emulation it won't. If they were putting old console components in newer hardware just to run previous gen games, then yeah, it would be an infinitely dumb idea.

B/C isn't a big deal either way. This was just Microsoft turning it into an attack point with their fandom because the games were drying up. They barely gave a shit about it last gen and the 360 was FAR more successful.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts
@Shewgenja said:
@RR360DD said:

Expected

Why would lems have "HATED" something that both the 360 and the Wii had? :?

Something Sony was also the first to begin the trend of not including?

You didnt think this one through.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

I love all the consoles but I think Sony just won next gen already.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts
@Link71113 said:

Wow. I dunno if I care too much for this but it’s nice for people who do. Then again, maybe I will play Xenogears again.

Although if they do this, what else is there for people to complain about?!?

That's something I would play, the EU only got number two.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: they stopped doing bc no one cared enough. Or at the time was to expensive for the technology around.

The 360 wasn’t fully BC it only worked with some games.

It only became a selling point when MS became more consumer friendly along with that BC was one of those things and all of a sudden everyone wanted it again.

Now Sony sees more people want it so they’re implementing it again.

No biggy.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts
@StrongDeadlift said:
@Shewgenja said:
@RR360DD said:

Expected

Why would lems have "HATED" something that both the 360 and the Wii had? :?

Something Sony was also the first to begin the trend of not including?

You didnt think this one through.

The 360 had "B/C" like the Xbox One had, except they understandably dropped it after admitting it was a waste of their efforts last gen. Now, they went backwards spending more time on b/c over providing new content. And they were none the better for it.