Rumor: MS in advanced talks to acquire major historically Playstation developer (leaker of every MS Acquisition so far)

  • 128 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Avatar image for zmanbarzel
#51 Posted by ZmanBarzel (1520 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

They can't.....you know, create studios and add to the market?

It's easier and cheaper to buy one that already exists. Starting up a new studio, you have to deal with hiring staff and finding them a physical studio to work in. You also don't have to wait as long for their first game to arrive as they're already operational.

Avatar image for lilseb93
#52 Posted by Lilseb93 (389 posts) -

My guess would be Ready At Dawn. Slight chances it being Supermassive Games, Quantic Dream, or Bluepoint Games.

Avatar image for Chutebox
#53 Posted by Chutebox (44056 posts) -
@zmanbarzel said:
@Chutebox said:

They can't.....you know, create studios and add to the market?

It's easier and cheaper to buy one that already exists. Starting up a new studio, you have to deal with hiring staff and finding them a physical studio to work in. You also don't have to wait as long for their first game to arrive as they're already operational.

Ya, I get that. But they have enough studios as is to fill in the wait time until games start releasing.

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#54 Posted by dotWithShoes (5480 posts) -

@Telekill said:

@dotWithShoes: Keep the fucking politics out of it.

Calm down now fella... Don't want to trigger an episode of your sydrome.

Avatar image for Telekill
#55 Posted by Telekill (8151 posts) -

@dotWithShoes:

@Pedro:

You can both **** off.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#56 Posted by DrLostRib (4374 posts) -

...and then it turns out to be the dev of Resogun

Avatar image for asylumni
#57 Posted by asylumni (3299 posts) -
@drlostrib said:

...and then it turns out to be the dev of Resogun

Housemarque? Was there confirmation or is this conjecture? That would actually be a good fit. They could build up the studio to pump out more games quicker and bring back Xbox Arcade in style.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#58 Posted by DrLostRib (4374 posts) -

@asylumni said:
@drlostrib said:

...and then it turns out to be the dev of Resogun

Housemarque? Was there confirmation or is this conjecture? That would actually be a good fit. They could build up the studio to pump out more games quicker and bring back Xbox Arcade in style.

just throwing it out there, but I do remember them mentioning not making enough from their games

Avatar image for WitIsWisdom
#59 Posted by WitIsWisdom (5051 posts) -

@claireredfield said:

It's Supermassive, Ready at Dawn or From Software. I'm leaning towards Ready at Dawn.

Nothing lost if it's any of the three in my personal opinion. That said, it's highly unlikely to be From Software or Supermassive. If I had to guess I would actually say it's none of those three.... but as I said before, nothing lost if so.

Avatar image for dotWithShoes
#60 Posted by dotWithShoes (5480 posts) -

@WitIsWisdom said:
@claireredfield said:

It's Supermassive, Ready at Dawn or From Software. I'm leaning towards Ready at Dawn.

Nothing lost if it's any of the three in my personal opinion. That said, it's highly unlikely to be From Software or Supermassive. If I had to guess I would actually say it's none of those three.... but as I said before, nothing lost if so.

Ready At Dawn is a quality developer, would love to see what they'd do with some MS IP's.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#61 Posted by Blackhairedhero (2358 posts) -

@lilseb93: Its not Bluepoint. They are working on another PS exclusive and are doing very well. The rest are possible though.

Avatar image for tormentos
#62 Posted by tormentos (28017 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@that_old_guy said:

Some time in the future we’re all going to be playing under the cloud anyway...so it’s not like we won’t play these games.

Sony I don’t think can compete with MS’s vast lead on cloud gaming on ANY device.

They can if they are willing to move away from hardware locking of games. :)

Yeah exclusivity will never END,you lemmings say that because you have no choice but to act like it is a good thing,after generations of pimping the xbox as the place to play halo,gears,forza,hell even other 3rd party exclusives like Ninja Gaiden on the OG xbox.

Now it doesn't matter hahaha.

You people are lol worthy,fact is exclusives are a most PC has,switch has,PS4 has,the xbox one yeah it doesn't.

From all those 4 platforms only 1 is redundant 100%.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#63 Posted by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@tormentos: Eh... Playstation has brand recognition in parts of the world that, frankly, XBox might never crack open ever. Its so easy for American gamers, especially XBox fans for some reason, to sit up on their high horses and prognosticate "the future". The truth is, the physical distribution model will be viable for decades because there is simply too large of a market of gamers who have dial-up or third rate dsl at the very best. Publishers are not going to abandon them, and platform makers like Sony know better.

Avatar image for Pedro
#64 Posted by Pedro (32147 posts) -

@tormentos said:

Yeah exclusivity will never END,you lemmings say that because you have no choice but to act like it is a good thing,after generations of pimping the xbox as the place to play halo,gears,forza,hell even other 3rd party exclusives like Ninja Gaiden on the OG xbox.

Now it doesn't matter hahaha.

You people are lol worthy,fact is exclusives are a most PC has,switch has,PS4 has,the xbox one yeah it doesn't.

From all those 4 platforms only 1 is redundant 100%.

You are showing signs that you are not critically thinking.

Avatar image for that_old_guy
#65 Posted by That_Old_Guy (677 posts) -

@tormentos: so am I a lemming now?

Avatar image for Steppy_76
#66 Posted by Steppy_76 (2379 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@tormentos: Eh... Playstation has brand recognition in parts of the world that, frankly, XBox might never crack open ever. Its so easy for American gamers, especially XBox fans for some reason, to sit up on their high horses and prognosticate "the future". The truth is, the physical distribution model will be viable for decades because there is simply too large of a market of gamers who have dial-up or third rate dsl at the very best. Publishers are not going to abandon them, and platform makers like Sony know better.

That number dwindles day by day, month by month, and year by year. There will come a time when that minority becomes small enough that they will end up being ignored due to not being worth the hassle/limited profitability. Money talks unfortunately.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#67 Edited by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@Steppy_76: How do you draw thar conclusion when the ps4 is on track to sell at least as much as the ps2? Seriously... Cognitive dissonance is not a valuable argument.

MS tried stirring the pot with the retail model at the start of thia gen and got splattered. When do you honestly think a console is going to try that again? Are you just playing footsie with the notion because the brand is only relevant in the US and UK, anyways? Thoughts and prayers, bro.

Avatar image for daniel_su123
#68 Posted by Daniel_Su123 (970 posts) -

@Shewgenja: I think what he means is that if XCloud gains big traction and Microsoft acquires publishers. Then Microsoft would most likely remove their content from PS platform. Same with Google or Amazon, if they acquired publishers they would certainly remove it from consoles.

Avatar image for kylomen
#69 Edited by kylomen (8 posts) -

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

Avatar image for musicalmac
#70 Posted by musicalmac (24981 posts) -

Curveball! It's SCA itself!!!

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#71 Posted by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@daniel_su123 said:

@Shewgenja: I think what he means is that if XCloud gains big traction and Microsoft acquires publishers. Then Microsoft would most likely remove their content from PS platform. Same with Google or Amazon, if they acquired publishers they would certainly remove it from consoles.

Hmm, yeah, maybe that is what they meant.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#72 Edited by DrLostRib (4374 posts) -

@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

wtf are you talking about?

Avatar image for gohan_3
#73 Posted by gohan_3 (1087 posts) -

I hope not. It feels like they have a tendency to ruin the studios they purchase. It seems like it's common for some of the head developers at companies to leave once acquired literally making them a shell of what they were.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#74 Posted by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@drlostrib said:
@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

wtf are you talking about?

Let me refresh your memory.

Avatar image for drlostrib
#75 Posted by DrLostRib (4374 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:
@drlostrib said:
@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

wtf are you talking about?

Let me refresh your memory.

yeah, i'd think it's pretty clear I'm not asking about the studios part

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#76 Posted by I_P_Daily (9468 posts) -

@scatteh316 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Hopefully its not Supermassive as they're games are average at best, and that's being nice.

They'll fit right in with the other MS studio's then...

T10 & Playground games among others are average to you??? oh my bad its just you doing the cow thing, never mind as you were.

Avatar image for zappat
#77 Posted by Zappat (1282 posts) -
@gohan_3 said:

I hope not. It feels like they have a tendency to ruin the studios they purchase. It seems like it's common for some of the head developers at companies to leave once acquired literally making them a shell of what they were.

Yep, MS record with studios is awful. They have managed well like 1% of their acquisitions. That's why I cringe with everyone of these purchases.

Avatar image for navyguy21
#78 Posted by navyguy21 (15123 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:
@drlostrib said:
@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

wtf are you talking about?

Let me refresh your memory.

To be fair, Sony has closed just as many........if not more.

They just happen to have enough great ones to make up for it.

Just because they buy a studio doesnt mean that studio will produce great games.

Its business.

If MS had more great studios they wouldnt get so much shit, but lets not pretend Sony doesnt close down studios.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIE_Worldwide_Studios#Studios

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
#79 Edited by GiveMeSomething (1239 posts) -

Naughty Dog pls, i hope they buy them out

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#80 Posted by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@navyguy21: Whats it like classing a tugboat with an aircraft carrier?

Avatar image for navyguy21
#81 Posted by navyguy21 (15123 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

@navyguy21: Whats it like classing a tugboat with an aircraft carrier?

lol, not sure i follow

Avatar image for Vatusus
#82 Posted by Vatusus (8950 posts) -
@claireredfield said:

It's Supermassive, Ready at Dawn or From Software. I'm leaning towards Ready at Dawn.

lol u wish

Avatar image for kingtito
#83 Posted by kingtito (9940 posts) -

@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

You do realize that would be cows right? Exclusive, always putting down the competition, advocating for the other factions to fail and be removed from gaming period and worshiping Sony to the point of hating all competition. Lems are way more inclusive and accepting of competition and it's fans. Come on man, pull your head out of your ass

Avatar image for Jacanuk
#84 Posted by Jacanuk (17060 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

https://www.comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2018/12/03/microsoft-advanced-talks-playstation-developer-xbox-one-x/

You asked for it, and god has bequeathed it to you cows.

Perhaps time to pepper your buttholes and pretend you never liked Insomniac? Who knows who this could be.

Until there is more than a twitter bot´s "rumour" this is not even worth debating.

Also considering they made Sunset Overdrive it would not be a surprise if they were bought up by MS.

Avatar image for X_CAPCOM_X
#85 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8279 posts) -

@Jacanuk: It was debunked by someone at Insomniac; it's not them. Probably a mid size or smaller dev.

Avatar image for Shewgenja
#86 Edited by Shewgenja (20835 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@navyguy21: Whats it like classing a tugboat with an aircraft carrier?

lol, not sure i follow

I dunno. Whenever the subject comes up of MS closing studios, almost like clockwork someone mentions Sony does it too. ...and yes, they most certainly do. It's just that Sony has carried so many studios with them through the years, it seems disingenuous to counter the argument with "but Sony" because in terms of first-party studios and production, they are in completely different weight classes. Like a false equivalence logical fallacy.

Avatar image for PSP107
#87 Edited by PSP107 (17285 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X: " Can't beat em? buy em out of competition!"

They should of done that a long time ago if they really wanted to secure the video game industry.

I mean wasn't this the mindset when they bought Rare way back in 2001/2002?

Avatar image for drlostrib
#89 Posted by DrLostRib (4374 posts) -

@kylomen said:
@kingtito said:
@kylomen said:

If Microsoft will purchase them, will Microsoft have them develop games or just slowly shut them down? And will the Alt-Right(Lemmings) actually start buying exclusive games? Many of studios had to shutdown because alt-right didn't buy any of the exclusive Xbox, just brag about exclusives online.

You do realize that would be cows right? Exclusive, always putting down the competition, advocating for the other factions to fail and be removed from gaming period and worshiping Sony to the point of hating all competition. Lems are way more inclusive and accepting of competition and it's fans. Come on man, pull your head out of your ass

Ahem...

Xbox is created by a White-American corporation

Playstation is created by a Foreign corporation

You probably don't see it yet, but patriotism/nationalism fuels Xbox.

Cows are more like Antifa.

gtfo of here with that shit

Avatar image for recloud
#91 Posted by ReCloud (4423 posts) -

@claireredfield: How can From Software be a Company tipically know for working with Sony If most of their catalog is multiplat?

Avatar image for TheEroica
#92 Posted by TheEroica (17873 posts) -

Maybe they're gonna aquire Sony...!?

Avatar image for jcrame10
#93 Posted by jcrame10 (4490 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift: actually, almost all of Sony’s studios were bought not created- naughty dog, sucker punch, media molecule, zipper, bend (they had different name before being purchased). I believe japan studio and Polyphony digital are the only ones they created.

With that being said, the odds of insomniac being bought out by Microsoft are slim to none....they’ve always wanted to remain independent and now that they have a good thing going with Spider-Man and the reboot of ratchet and clank...nope, not gonna happen. Sunset overdrive has been their only game with Microsoft and it didn’t sell that well.

Avatar image for recloud
#95 Posted by ReCloud (4423 posts) -

@claireredfield said:
@recloud said:

@claireredfield: How can From Software be a Company tipically know for working with Sony If most of their catalog is multiplat?

What other manufacturer have they worked with exclusively? No one but Sony.

It doesn't mean it is tipically known for that, they made like 2 ps exclusives unlike insomniac that made a lot of them. It's not From Software and it's obviously not a major developer.

Avatar image for EG101
#96 Posted by EG101 (1874 posts) -

@claireredfield said:
@recloud said:

@claireredfield: How can From Software be a Company tipically know for working with Sony If most of their catalog is multiplat?

What other manufacturer have they worked with exclusively? No one but Sony.

They made a couple of Xbox games for Microsoft Studios. 2 of them being Otogi and Otogi 2.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#97 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (17957 posts) -

@zappat said:
@gohan_3 said:

I hope not. It feels like they have a tendency to ruin the studios they purchase. It seems like it's common for some of the head developers at companies to leave once acquired literally making them a shell of what they were.

Yep, MS record with studios is awful. They have managed well like 1% of their acquisitions. That's why I cringe with everyone of these purchases.

Yeah, because Sony's track record is sooooo much better... lmao. Go look up how many studios they've closed.

Blind fanboys are hilarious.

Avatar image for zappat
#99 Posted by Zappat (1282 posts) -

@hrt_rulz01: and go look how many of the purchased studios have been succesful compared to MS. Blind fandboys are hilarious indeed, you might want to look in a mirror.