Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 36717 Posts

GoNintendo

The latest episode of WayPoint Radio makes a rather bold claim about the current situation over at Game Freak, the developer behind the Pokemon series. In this episode, WayPoint’s Austin Walker claims that the morale of Game Freak employees is at an “all time low”, but he doesn't elaborate on why that is.

If morale is low, we can easily speculate as to why that is. Fans have been rallying against Pokemon Sword and Shield for quite some time now, as the decision to not include every Pokemon has not gone over well to say the very least. Obviously Game Freak's employees want to create an experience that fans will enjoy, and most Pokemon games are usually met with insane amounts of buzz before launch. That's still the case with Pokemon Sword and Shield, but it's not exactly positive buzz.

And with this subsequent announcement of PokeCo cancelling a launch event in Japan, would not be surprised if this was verified.

Comicbook.com

The Pokemon Company has cancelled a planned event celebrating the launch of Pokemon Sword and Shield. Earlier today, the Pokemon Company announced they were cancelling a planned commemorative event for the launch of Pokemon Sword and Shield at the Mega Tokyo Pokemon Center store. Game developers like Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori were due to attend the event, which was cancelled for "operational reasons." An apology was sent out via the Japanese Pokemon Twitter account and on the Pokemon Twitter account:

Some are speculating that the event was cancelled due to backlash surrounding Pokemon Sword and Shield, specifically concerning the game's lack of Pokemon. Unlike other Pokemon games, players can only transfer Pokemon into Pokemon Sword and Shield that can be found in the Galar region, meaning that potentially hundreds of Pokemon won't be included in the upcoming games. The development team of Pokemon Sword and Shield has been heavily criticized for this decision (which was made to allow for other features to be added to the game) and Masuda, the director of Game Freak, has even received death threats online. In light of a recent attack on Kyoto Animation that left dozens dead, it's possible that the Pokemon Company simply didn't want to risk putting fans and employees at harm given some of disproportionately negative reaction to the game.

Yikes...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36021 Posts

That's Vice, credibility 0.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nintendoboy16

@uninspiredcup: Someone hasn't seen PokeTwitter lately.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 36021 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Of course not, it's a child game.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 5175 Posts

I didn't think Pokemon of all things could produce this much toxicity and insanity. After the Kyoto Animation attack, everybody's on edge. Don't blame them for cancelling that event.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 nintendoboy16

@BenjaminBanklin: Pokemon will be the next review bomb.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18149 Posts

This is one of those situations where the internet has caught the stupid, and it just isn't passing.

S+S will probably be one of the better selling Pokemon games, but the vocal minority just won't give up.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 44797 Posts

Pokemon is pretty much a license to print money, how can morale be bad?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 8671 Posts

Isn't there a Pokemon that they can rub that will give them joy?

Wait... that would be pokeiality... 🤮

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 28850 Posts

I feel bad for developers these days. I can understand being disappointed in something but there’s some “gamers” who just take it to unbelievably toxic levels.

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1466 Posts

I imagine them like this:

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 2990 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

I feel bad for developers these days. I can understand being disappointed in something but there’s some “gamers” who just take it to unbelievably toxic levels.

I wonder if this has to do with the existence of social media. I never heard of "toxic" fandom behavior before the days of social media.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 28850 Posts

@onesiphorus: I’m sure that toxic fandom has always been there but things like social media just allow for those individuals to amplify their toxicity and spread it out to a much wider audience with little to no fear of repercussions. I don’t blame social media itself, I blame how some people use it.

AJStyles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AJStyles
Member since 2018 • 1197 Posts

Pokémon games have been average/trash for awhile now.

There is also no excuse for them to not have every Pokémon in the game.

It just screams they are too cheap, lazy and incompetent to do it.Typical game freak and Nintendo.

These games print tons of money, but they refuse to put any effort into them.

“Wahhhh. We have to do a bunch of animations for 800 Pokémon.”

It’s lazy as hell. Pokémon deserves the criticism.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 5492 Posts

@ajstyles: They've always done the two game release, not sure why its bothering people only now?!? Its not lazy, just a variation on dlc, shitty yes, lazy not really.

SaltSlasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SaltSlasher
Member since 2015 • 1376 Posts

Imagine being at same company for life in creative field, and told to do the same thing every year, and when you actually want to try new things, people get mad that you didn't do everything under the sun.

If I was them, I'd disconnect the franchise for like 10 years, then do a big "catch all 2000" game.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5356 Posts

If there is negativity there I highly doubt it is anything to do with fan backlash over the number of pokemon. That's not how it works. You are being supremely naive. It's almost always about a culture at the company and the management. It will be working hours and pay and conditions. Not people bitching on twitter about the number of pokemon. That's ridiculous.

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 39051 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@uninspiredcup: Someone hasn't seen PokeTwitter lately.

Some of us go to Serebii then Twitter.

On topic: Pokemon has its charm as a monster catching game. It's not too alien/weebish as Yokai Watch nor it's trying to look edgy and cool like SMT. But when you cut down the very core of the game, which is monster collecting, we got a problem. Especially when Pokemon parades the motto of "Gotta Catch'em All."

I think the "it's repetitive" criticism is what makes GF went on deep-end and trying to implement new stuffs every generation. Mega is honestly cool, but Z moves are hardly unique, and Dynamax is just sad. I don't think they're lazy. They're just not an overly capable development team. They're mediocre developers who managed to strike gold with a game formula their first time out with Pokemon.

I have played every handheld main Pokemon games for generation and I was hype for Sword/Shield until now, not anymore after hearing what GF did with the core game. I'm still gonna buy it day one but my expectations are now low.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 26908 Posts

Because of all the criticism? I've noticed that they caught a lot of flack for a game that looks to be pretty cool. At the very least I'm happy to see Pokemon coming to consoles.

I understand some of the criticism but also it is now clear that having all the Pokemon ever in one (good) 3D game is going to be impossible to do in one go.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29500 Posts

Not getting this at all.

The game looks pretty amazing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#21 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 35802 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Not getting this at all.

You think everything Nintendo does is amazing. :P

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29500 Posts

@Pedro said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:

Not getting this at all.

You think everything Nintendo does is amazing. :P

True.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#23 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13803 Posts

Why does it matter if it doesn't have every single Pokemon? Is it really such a big deal for hardcore Pokeman fans?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nintendoboy16

@Jag85 said:

Why does it matter if it doesn't have every single Pokemon? Is it really such a big deal for hardcore Pokeman fans?

Apparently so.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts

Well then let's buy their game and raise their morale!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 213

#26  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 13803 Posts

I think part of the backlash has something to do with the fact that Pokemon is the highest-grossing media franchise in the world. So a lot of fans find it inexcusable for Game Freak to cheap-out on the game. But the reality is that the Pokemon franchise makes most of its money from licensed merchandise, most of which Game Freak never sees. Most of GF's actual income comes from the games themselves, not the licensed merch. And due to pressure from the anime studios and merchandisers and what not, GF are often forced to rush their games and release them in a timely manner to match the annual schedule for the anime, cards, merch, etc. Which puts GF under a lot of pressure to meet deadlines. And on top of that, vocal fans then blame GF for rushing the games.