Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

for a handheld these specs are good but for a home console those are pathetic

It's like 60% weaker than the x1 which is already too weak as it is.Good luck receiving any 3rd party support with those.

No GTA, RDR,Mass Effect,AC,COD,BF,etc=dead in the water The only thing you'll get is a cut down inferior version of Skyrim,a bunch of wiiu ports and Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 43933 Posts

And Switching. :P

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

This is Nintendo's struggle. They have to try to convince someone to pay as much money for a weak handheld as people are paying for power home consoles that have better graphics, expansive game libraries, 4k media, etc. I just don't see it working out for them, especially when Microsoft and Sony aren't afraid to make another price drop and take a loss for a while to kill a competitor.

@ronvalencia said:
@iandizion713 said:

@Chutebox: Gamecube was powerful but didnt sell good.

PS2 has the larger install base+DVD video player and Xbox has the hardware power, hence Gamecube was caught in the middle.

PS4/PS4 Pro is heading for PS2 level install base with reasonable hardware power.

Scorpio's approach is the original Xbox i.e. strongest game console hardware with PS2's video player approach but for UHD Blu-ray player.

Switch.... it's a handheld gaming device and my smart phone can play games.... what else for Switch besides it's first party games...

Both PS4 Slim and Xbox One S can counter Switch's price war. Xbox One S doubles as UHD Blu-ray player...

aravindprasath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 aravindprasath
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

Guys , im going to try resolve some misconceptions on the comments in this thread . I'm no expert but I would like to share what I know .

1.Arm vs x86 : Arm is actually more efficient and slightly more powerful than the x86. This is because of the difference in the process of computing a instruction by these two architectures . Arm does this process better than the x86 . So don't think arm is inferior to x86 as it is used in mobile . Arm is actually better especially for switch because not only u need power but also efficiency to be able to run on a battery .

2.maxwell vs pascal : Pascal is much better because it's able to compute a larger set of instructions at a given time than maxwell . Pascal also resembles high end pc graphic cards which means ports are more easier .

3.power of switch : Relax , switch is going to be in the same league as of ps4 and xbox one . Consoles are not much dependent on power even in the same generation but a console needs to be in the same league of power with competing consoles of the same generations and it need not be the most powerful in order to be successful. Ps2 was weaker than the game cube and xbox but it was in the same league so ports aren't difficult . But the Wii u was not in the same league as with ps4 and xbox one which was the major reason for its failure .

As with switch , it uses a custom tegra which will be at least around the power of x1 (albeit it ll be more powerful) and it uses pascal. Which implies switch will provide about 1 teraflops of power . Which is less than xbox one but it uses arm so its actually much closer to xbox one than you think . So porting is not much difficult. If it sells well , 3rd parties are in .

4.3rd part support : They want in , trust me because games are becoming more and more expensive to produce and mobile is one of the most profitable sectors . They would in the near future when mobile technology gets power to compare with consoles port games to mobile to get more money even though it means to water down a little bit . So 3rd parties would experiment their mobile ambitions' with the switch . Also as mentioned earlier with the switch being in the same league as the two consoles , they will port their games to switch .

4.switch's major selling point : It's not being able to run ps4/xbox one games but being able to run these games on the go. I don't know whether there is enough audience to justify this but that will be the major selling point for the switch along with nintendos first party games which can be played only on the switch. Also , it is technically nintendos next handheld so it will get all the jrpgs , Pokémon , fire emblem , monster hunter etc of the 3ds. So 3ds users will ugrade to switch as they did from ds to 3ds.

With that said , i think nintendo switch will carve a niche and significant market share compared to ps4 / xbox one. Thank you for reading and sorry English isn't my 1st language so bear with me.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 SecretPolice

Hot off the press...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-could-be-a-game-changer-may-have-m/1100-6445671/

That does it, I want nothing to do with it. Give me a $99.99 Wii U Zelda Bunduru and I'm good to go. :P

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

Hot off the press...

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-could-be-a-game-changer-may-have-m/1100-6445671/

That does it, I want nothing to do with it. Give me a $99.99 Wii U Zelda Bunduru and I'm good to go. :P

Relax, if anything, it's probably to support Wii backwards compatibility, but unlikely to be the focus of the console.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 SecretPolice

@Phazevariance said:
@SecretPolice said:

Hot off the press...

Relax, if anything, it's probably to support Wii backwards compatibility, but unlikely to be the focus of the console.

Eh TBH, I really had no interest in the thing after it was revealed to be a handheld. Handheld's are just not my bag baby. lol :P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@aravindprasath said:

Guys , im going to try resolve some misconceptions on the comments in this thread . I'm no expert but I would like to share what I know .

1.Arm vs x86 : Arm is actually more efficient and slightly more powerful than the x86. This is because of the difference in the process of computing a instruction by these two architectures . Arm does this process better than the x86 . So don't think arm is inferior to x86 as it is used in mobile . Arm is actually better especially for switch because not only u need power but also efficiency to be able to run on a battery .

2.maxwell vs pascal : Pascal is much better because it's able to compute a larger set of instructions at a given time than maxwell . Pascal also resembles high end pc graphic cards which means ports are more easier .

3.power of switch : Relax , switch is going to be in the same league as of ps4 and xbox one . Consoles are not much dependent on power even in the same generation but a console needs to be in the same league of power with competing consoles of the same generations and it need not be the most powerful in order to be successful. Ps2 was weaker than the game cube and xbox but it was in the same league so ports aren't difficult . But the Wii u was not in the same league as with ps4 and xbox one which was the major reason for its failure .

As with switch , it uses a custom tegra which will be at least around the power of x1 (albeit it ll be more powerful) and it uses pascal. Which implies switch will provide about 1 teraflops of power . Which is less than xbox one but it uses arm so its actually much closer to xbox one than you think . So porting is not much difficult. If it sells well , 3rd parties are in .

4.3rd part support : They want in , trust me because games are becoming more and more expensive to produce and mobile is one of the most profitable sectors . They would in the near future when mobile technology gets power to compare with consoles port games to mobile to get more money even though it means to water down a little bit . So 3rd parties would experiment their mobile ambitions' with the switch . Also as mentioned earlier with the switch being in the same league as the two consoles , they will port their games to switch .

4.switch's major selling point : It's not being able to run ps4/xbox one games but being able to run these games on the go. I don't know whether there is enough audience to justify this but that will be the major selling point for the switch along with nintendos first party games which can be played only on the switch. Also , it is technically nintendos next handheld so it will get all the jrpgs , Pokémon , fire emblem , monster hunter etc of the 3ds. So 3ds users will ugrade to switch as they did from ds to 3ds.

With that said , i think nintendo switch will carve a niche and significant market share compared to ps4 / xbox one. Thank you for reading and sorry English isn't my 1st language so bear with me.

You won't get portable power of PS4\X1 for 300$

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#59  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@ronvalencia said:
@iandizion713 said:

@ronvalencia: I dont play those casual games though, so im good. I use my Iphone for other stuff.

Nintendo's approach is to market their device to hard core and Nintendo first party gamers with mobility requirements, but my smart phone can connect to airlines' on-board-wifi and run their video on demand playback app on top of playing games...

Yeah, my Iphone can do that too. I always have my Iphone. Just cause i buy a Nintendo device dont mean im gonna throw my Iphone away. I need my Iphone for work.

But i need a Nintendo device for gaming.

@aravindprasath said:

Good stuff mate.

aravindprasath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By aravindprasath
Member since 2016 • 2 Posts

@MonsieurX: I said in the same league of power . It's apparent u don't know about arm technology let alone tetra x1/ x2. Tetra x1 is nearly half the power of current gen consoles and that was in maxwell architecture. Switch uses custom tegra which will be more near to the power of x2 since x2 uses pascal. So get rid of ur myths about a portable not powerful enough which was the whole point of my post. Arm is actually becoming cheaper , the shield tablet with k1 is 200 dollars which was a year ago . So u can expect switch with custom tegra to be 300 dollars

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#61 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

https://www.videogamenews.co.uk/video-gaming-news/article/2682/UK-retailer-taking-Nintendo-Switch-pre-orders-at-19850

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#62 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13636 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

its basically two gamecubes ducked taped together

(old school System Warriors will understand that reference)

lol, I remember that.

Someone replied "why you do dis?" I lol'd.

-

Think I'll wait, looks good, but I'm done early adopting after the Xbox One. I'll give it a year, plus I hear it'll cost £300.

Just dropped £230 on a new graphics card, so I'll be happy for a long time to come.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I miss Nintendo games so I wouldn't mind getting this baby if the price is right. I know I probably won't game outside the home, but I'll play it while on the toilet or bed, and maybe in car or plane rides, actually I don't even game in car or plane rides. I don't mind it's not as powerful as current consoles. I'm sticking to the Scorpio if I want the best versions of console games and I could play Nintendo games on the Switch. It sucks but if the price is right, I'll go for it.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 998 Posts

@aravindprasath: The Switch will have around 550 GFLOPS of FP32 compute, 4GB of unknown Ramsey, and have CPU limitations. PS4 Pro (4200 GFLOPS) Scorpio (6000 GFLOPS) absolutely destroy this, not to mention their base models. Sorry there is no way you will get a PS4 level console on the go unless you don't mid wearing oven mitts. Having an 4G model also raises temps further, have you ever noticed your phone gets much warmer when on LTE than on wifi?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#65 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Pretty unimpressive if at all true.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@SecretPolice said:
@Phazevariance said:
@SecretPolice said:

Hot off the press...

Eh TBH, I really had no interest in the thing after it was revealed to be a handheld. Handheld's are just not my bag baby. lol :P

Come on man, having two traditional consoles is enough, it's going to be nice to have something different.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#67 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9723 Posts

Keep in mind that it'll get watered down 3rd party content for multiplatform games.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By iandizion713

@GameboyTroy: As long as it has Zelda, i could care less. Id buy the device for just Kirby.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By GameboyTroy

@iandizion713 said:

@GameboyTroy: As long as it has Zelda, i could care less. Id buy the device for just Kirby.

Zelda might be delayed again till June(rumour).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VERV6Tb-hzQ

I'll leave this podcast here.

https://youtu.be/Hh9FUP2CBiE

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By iandizion713

@GameboyTroy: I can wait. Im still playing Zelda Twilight Princess HD.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Why would it be as powerful/more powerful than the twins when UK is pretty much confirming its price being $250 and the console comes with a screen that is most certainly worth a large sum out of those $250? Oh and its also Nintendo, almost forgot about that. It will be weaker than already weak 2013 consoles.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#72 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

by the battery power it shows a system that consumes 4 or 5 Watts in 16nm tech

for comparison the xbox s consumes around 75 Watts using the same 16nm finfet

so even with all possible tweaks and new power saving technology we are looking at a very veeeery low end machine

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@aravindprasath said:

2.maxwell vs pascal : Pascal is much better because it's able to compute a larger set of instructions at a given time than maxwell . Pascal also resembles high end pc graphic cards which means ports are more easier ..

1. False narrative.

ARM Cortex A72 with quad core at 2.3 Ghz (Kirin 950) vs Intel Atom with quad core at 2.3 Ghz (Z3580)

CPU physics score

Intel Atom Z3580 = 20,977

ARM Cortex A72 Kirin 950 = 14,784

AMD Athlon 5350 has quad core Jaguar at 2.05 Ghz. CPU physics score is 23,546 which is slightly superior to Intel Atom Z3580 at 2.3 Ghz's 20,977. AMD ZEN doubles Jaguar's IPC and math unit resources.

AMD Athlon 5350 quad core at 2 Ghz beats AMD A10-6700T 2 module Piledriver quad core/4 threads 2.5 Ghz.

The problem with most x86 designs are their near idle power state which ARM CPU has the edge which not an issue with desktop form factors.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/linus-torvalds-geekbench-is-sh-t.2344722/

Geekbench is SH*T.

It actually seems to have gotten worse with version 3, which you should be aware of. On ARM64, that SHA1 performance is hardware-assisted. I don't know if SHA2 is too, but Aarch64 does apparently do SHA256 in the crypto unit, so it might be fully or partially so.

And on both ARM and x86, the AES numbers are similarly just about the crypto unit.

So basically a quarter to a third of the "integer" workloads are just utter BS. They are not comparable across architectures due to the crypto units, and even within one architecture the numbers just don't mean much of anything.

And quite frankly, it's not even just the crypto ones. Looking at the other GB3 "benchmarks", they are mainly small kernels: not really much different from dhrystone. I suspect most of them have a code footprint that basically fits in a L1I cache.

Linus

Linus Benedict Torvalds (/ˈlaɪnəsˈtɔːrvɔːldz/;[5]Swedish: [ˈliːn.ɵs ˈtuːr.valds] ( listen); born December 28, 1969) is a Finnish software engineer[2][6] who is the creator and, for a long time, principal developer, of the Linux kernel; which became the kernel for operating systems such as the Linux operating system, Android and Chrome OS

2. Maxwell already has Async Compute (31 queues) but it only has a single context which is not compatible with DirectX12/Vulkan's version which needs multiple context.

https://developer.nvidia.com/dx12-dos-and-donts

On DX11 the driver does farm off asynchronous tasks to driver worker threads where possible

Nvidia DX11 driver already used key DX12 speed up methods i.e. Async task and multi-threading. DX11 MT has a single context, hence NVIDIA designed their hardware to suite DX11.

AMD catches up with Async task and multi-threading features with DX12.

Switch is not running with DirectX12 APIs.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ronvalencia
@leandrro said:

so even with all possible tweaks and new power saving technology we are looking at a very veeeery low end machine

TSMC has two 16 nm FinFET process tech i.e. 16 nm FinFET (1st gen, 2015) and 16 nm FinFET+(2nd gen, 2016). AMD could be using TSMC's older 1st gen 16 nm FinFET.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 leandrro

@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:

TSMC has two 16 nm FinFET process tech i.e. 16 nm FinFET (1st gen, 2015) and 16 nm FinFET+(2nd gen, 2016). AMD could be using TSMC's older 1st gen 16 nm FinFET.

ok, so lets imagine the new one have some 20% better power efficiency and nvidia hardware perfomrs 40% better with the same power, xbox s level of performance would still require some 40 or 50 watts, 4 or 5 watts on switch still looks pretty bad

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ronvalencia

@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:

ok, so lets imagine the new one have some 20% better power efficiency and nvidia hardware perfomrs 40% better with the same power, xbox s level of performance would still require some 40 or 50 watts, 4 or 5 watts on switch still looks pretty bad

XBO S wasn't designed as a mobile chip. AMD's FX-8800p APU with 28 nm GoFlo has ~15 watts with similar Ice Storm graphics scores as Shield TV (20 watts) and Pixel C tablet (15 watts).

Nintendo's plans to release Switch next year.

AMD's plans to release Raven Ridge next year (FX-8800P replacement). Raven Ridge has Vega type GPU i.e. most likely to be 16 CU type.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By leandrro

@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:

XBO S wasn't designed as a mobile chip. AMD's FX-8800p APU with 28 nm GoFlo has ~15 watts with similar Ice Storm graphics scores as Shield TV (20 watts) and Pixel C tablet (15 watts).

but it is a APU, how could we compare only the graphics chips or only the CPUs? to see if they use same power and perform the same?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ronvalencia

@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:

but it is a APU, how could we compare only the graphics chips or only the CPUs? to see if they use same power and perform the same?

Tegra X2 is also an APU or SOC(System On Chip). APU is just CPU+GPU in a single chip.

APU examples = NVIDIA Tegra X2, AMD FX-8800p, Intel Core i series, XBO, PS4, PS4 Pro, Qualcomm Snapdragon S8xx

Ice Storm benchmark has two scores

CPU =Phyiscs score

GPU = Graphics score.

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By leandrro

@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:
@leandrro said:
@ronvalencia said:

Tegra X2 is also an APU or SOC(System On Chip). APU is just CPU+GPU in a single chip.

APU examples = NVIDIA Tegra X2, AMD FX-8800p, Intel Core i series, XBO, PS4, PS4 Pro, Qualcomm Snapdragon S8xx

Ice Storm benchmark has two scores

CPU =Phyiscs score

GPU = Graphics score.

and they perform the same in both cpu and gpu scores?

i see that this APU can use up to 35 W so its consistent with a 28nm chip compared to a 15W 16nm

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

@kvally said:

Yup and another console that will disappoint fans across the board, just like Wiiu.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@Heil68 said:
@kvally said:

Yup and another console that will disappoint fans across the board, just like Wiiu.

I think you'll still get it, since it will be Gen 9 king

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 GameboyTroy

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:
@kvally said:

Its not a gen 9 console. It doesn't deserve to be called that. Its a gen 8.5 console. I'm sorry.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:
@kvally said:

Its not a gen 9 console. It doesn't deserve to be called that. Its a gen 8.5 console. I'm sorry.

Who made that stupid rule?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 GameboyTroy

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:
@kvally said:

This gen isn't done yet.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 FireEmblem_Man

@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@Heil68 said:

This gen isn't done yet.

Like I said, who made the rules? This is Nintendo's 7th hardware and if anything it's still considered new hardware. Using Graphics to define gens was only a marketing push to get people to buy newer hardware.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ronvalencia

@ShepardCommandr said:

for a handheld these specs are good but for a home console those are pathetic

It's like 60% weaker than the x1 which is already too weak as it is.Good luck receiving any 3rd party support with those.

No GTA, RDR,Mass Effect,AC,COD,BF,etc=dead in the water The only thing you'll get is a cut down inferior version of Skyrim,a bunch of wiiu ports and Mario/Zelda/Pokemon.

Switch should be able to run games that works on GeForce 920 MX.

920M has ~700 GFLOPS and 920MX is slightly slower with ~512 GFLOPS

Loading Video...

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#89 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69089 Posts

@aravindprasath: Looks like someone pulled out their Alt account spew utter nonsense. LOL

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By iandizion713

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:

This gen isn't done yet.

Like I said, who made the rules? This is Nintendo's 7th hardware and if anything it's still considered new hardware. Using Graphics to define gens was only a marketing push to get people to buy newer hardware.

Exactly, Gens arent determined by graphical gimmicks. Next gen starts when Nintendo says it starts. And with the way AAA is flopping, Nintendo should be in a very nice position to gain support. We might even see an Exodus.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#91 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@aravindprasath said:

@MonsieurX: I said in the same league of power . It's apparent u don't know about arm technology let alone tetra x1/ x2. Tetra x1 is nearly half the power of current gen consoles and that was in maxwell architecture. Switch uses custom tegra which will be more near to the power of x2 since x2 uses pascal. So get rid of ur myths about a portable not powerful enough which was the whole point of my post. Arm is actually becoming cheaper , the shield tablet with k1 is 200 dollars which was a year ago . So u can expect switch with custom tegra to be 300 dollars

"tetra" lol the irony is real

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 FireEmblem_Man

@iandizion713 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:
@GameboyTroy said:

This gen isn't done yet.

Exactly, Gens arent determined by graphical gimmicks. Next gen starts when Nintendo says it starts. And with the way AAA is flopping, Nintendo should be in a very nice position to gain support. We might even see an Exodus.

No, Not when Nintendo says, it starts when new hardware begins to show up!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 iandizion713

@FireEmblem_Man: True, new hardware with exclusive content.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 FireEmblem_Man

@iandizion713 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: True, new hardware with exclusive content.

Exactly! It may get current gen ports, but it may also get new games. This mid-gen lifecycle is a made up term from Sony to justify releasing the PS4Poo. Project Scorpio maybe an Xbox One, but can also be marketed as a new console as well for MS to stem away from the failures of early marketing the Xbox One.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ronvalencia

@aravindprasath said:

I'll take you on.

Terga X1's effective result is than half of XBO e.g. GeForce 920MX's Forza 6 Apex result vs XBO's Forza 6 Apex result.

Shield TV (Terga X1) has ~500 GFLOPS Maxwell gen 2.5 with double rate 16 bit FP feature and 25 GB/s memory bandwidth. Shield TV's GFLOPS will be bound by effective memory bandwidth.

Loading Video...

At the same 28 nm process tech, AMD Jaguar's chip area size is similar to ARM Cortex A15 while beating both ARM Cortex A57 and A72.

ARM Cortex A72 with quad core at 2.3 Ghz (Kirin 950) vs Intel Atom with quad core at 2.3 Ghz (Z3580)

CPU physics score

Intel Atom Z3580 = 20,977

ARM Cortex A72 Kirin 950 = 14,784

AMD Athlon 5350 has quad core Jaguar at 2.05 Ghz. CPU physics score is 23,546 which is slightly superior to Intel Atom Z3580 at 2.3 Ghz's 20,977. AMD ZEN doubles Jaguar's IPC and math unit resources.

AMD Athlon 5350 quad core at 2 Ghz beats AMD A10-6700T 2 module Piledriver quad core/4 threads 2.5 Ghz.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 FireEmblem_Man

@ronvalencia: do believe the leaks of the AMD SR7 beating out Broadway-E with the rumored most affordable price of $450.00 USD?

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#97 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@svaubel said:

Pretty impressive- for a tablet- if true.

I'm rather looking forward to the Shield Tablet 2 presented by Nintendo.

....except that tablets are no more than 10mm thick. And the switch is more than an inch thick. Two inches at certain areas. I'll call it a tablet you don't want to be seen walking around with

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#98 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

it's just so weird to go with this kind of strategy. The 3DS is very popular. That proves that people don't really want big graphics in a handheld. Perhaps Nintendo sees an untapped market there, like people want a gaming tablet with serious software support.

I'm also no expert, but based on what I've read, the Switch might be a good bet to get PS4/xbone ports. 4GB is not a lot, but that's not necessarily exclusionary. If it's combined with a modified X2 Tegra chip, if it uses DDR4 RAM, then there is hope that the porting process won't be all that difficult. There's also the size of the OS, and if Nintendo keeps that low, or even better if they can do what the ps4 pro does and have some low cost/ low speed RAM just for the OS, then it's not a stretch at all with 4GB solely for gaming.

Personally, I think the ARM chip is an interesting choice as well. That might be exclusionary since it would be a bit extra work to go from x86 to ARM, but it gives a benefit that the companies would now have an ARM version of their game that they could port to lots of different places. Learning to develop in ARM expands your markets. Perhaps right this moment it's not worth it, but the Switch could become the right product to break that market open.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ronvalencia

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@ronvalencia: do believe the leaks of the AMD SR7 beating out Broadway-E with the rumored most affordable price of $450.00 USD?

ZEN scales to 32 cores. Beyond 8 ZEN cores, they are Opteron SKUs. Broadway-E is just Xeon based products.

jetray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#100 jetray
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

@kend0_kap0ni said:

its basically two gamecubes ducked taped together

(old school System Warriors will understand that reference)

maybe two wii's now..