RTS games like total war are possible on console

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

I just got myself a steam controller and so far I have to say it works great with total war games like attila and rome wether be it the campaign or battle map, I can easily move around, zoom in and give commands with no issues at all. This made me think why not expand this market to console as well, this way the rts genre could grow and become stronger than ever. They might have to design a costum controller specificly for rts games on the ps4 and xbox one, but buying another controller aint that expensive.

Also dont tell me console gamers wouldnt want these games, I have seen a lot of console gamers begging for total wars and rts games in general to come out on console.

I know that total wars are quite fps hungry, but with proper optimization like decreasing shadow detail and the lod distance on buildings and units, this shouldnt be a problem

Ps. I am a dedicated pcgamer, I personally take a pc over console every day. But I think we are all gamers and deserve to be treated equal.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

"They might have to design a costum controller specificly for rts games on the ps4 and xbox one, but buying another controller aint that expensive."

and this is where you run into problems. having to design a brand new controller for a specific genre and expect people to wanna run out and buy it and the game(s) with it is a terrible idea. You have to think about the masses when it comes to consoles..and those masses all use the standard controller.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Everybody knows RTS are too complicated for dudebros that are playing on consoles

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They've tried before, and they're trying again with Halo Wars 2.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

I was just playing Rome 2 a couple of days ago. Hehe Sparta rocked on.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@lawlessx said:

"They might have to design a costum controller specificly for rts games on the ps4 and xbox one, but buying another controller aint that expensive."

and this is where you run into problems. having to design a brand new controller for a specific genre and expect people to wanna run out and buy it and the game(s) with it is a terrible idea. You have to think about the masses when it comes to consoles..and those masses all use the standard controller.

Yep. If it were that easy, they could just use mouse/keyboard support and call it a day.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58854 Posts

You can eat porridge with chopsticks.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thepclovingguy

@lawlessx said:

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/uploads/2/0/6/5/20658008/7384737_orig.png

if this works than I dont see a reason why they cant sell a costum controller. Wii usually has a bucnh of different controllers

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
@lawlessx said:

if this works than I dont see a reason why they cant sell a costum controller. Wii usually has a bucnh of different controllers

No it doesn't

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lawlessx

@thepclovingguy said:
@lawlessx said:

steering wheels have been apart of gaming for ages and its nothing we are unfamiliar with. You also have to consider the fact that the racing genre is very popular on consoles. What you're talking about is creating a custom controller for a genre for doesn't have alot of success on consoles. You and I may be willing to fork over the extra cash for the controller because we are fans of RTS games,but what about the other guys?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer

@lawlessx: Not to mention the fact that console racing games can already be played with a standard controller. With most RTS games, those kinds of controllers simply don't work. Point being, console racing games wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are now if people HAD to buy racing wheels in order to play the game.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thepclovingguy

@lawlessx said:
@thepclovingguy said:
@lawlessx said:

steering wheels have been apart of gaming for ages and its nothing we are unfamiliar with. You also have to consider the fact that the racing genre is very popular on consoles. What you're talking about is creating a custom controller for a genre for doesn't have alot of success on consoles. You and I may be willing to fork over the extra cash for the controller because we are fans of RTS games,but what about the other guys?

you should have a bit more faith, a bit of advertisment should do the trick. People are easily to manipulate, look how many people are hyped for the new tom clancy game even though we all know its going to suck.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

What's the point? Console gamers aint gonna buy them anyway

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thepclovingguy

@unrealgunner said:

how do you know, I have seen a bunch of console games asking for rts like total war.

Well we will see how successful halo wars 2 will be. I am also excited that halo wars 2 will come out on pc.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lawlessx

@MrGeezer said:

@lawlessx: Not to mention the fact that console racing games can already be played with a standard controller. With most RTS games, those kinds of controllers simply don't work. Point being, console racing games wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they are now if people HAD to buy racing wheels in order to play the game.

im pretty sure that's one of the reasons why guitar hero started failing. At one point they made it mandatory for players to buy the guitar in order to play the game which ruined things for me because i played with my controller

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:

how do you know, I have seen a bunch of console games asking for rts like total war.

Well we will see how successful halo wars 2 will be. I am also excited that halo wars 2 will come out on pc.

I do follow sales and I have seen the pattern of what console gamers buy.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

RTS games will definitely work on console, especially with the option for keyboard/mouse. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking in terms of complexity.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thepclovingguy

any opinions from pure console users on this particular matter, wouldnt you like to see stuff like this on console

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19 PutASpongeOn
Member since 2014 • 4897 Posts

I haven't been interested in an rts since age of mythology/age of exmpires and battle for middle earth.

They look prettier now but they don't interest me even though those are my favorite games and I still love those games.

If this means better rts will be made then good, otherwise meh.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thepclovingguy

@putaspongeon said:

I haven't been interested in an rts since age of mythology/age of exmpires and battle for middle earth.

They look prettier now but they don't interest me even though those are my favorite games and I still love those games.

have you even tried total war, I would even suggest a total war game to a none rts gamer because of these particular cinematic and action pumped battles, which you can experience in the game,

this looks way more epic than these tiny 20vs20 engagements in star wars battlefront ea or any other brainless action shooter

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

RTS games like total war are possible on console ?

Nobunaga's Ambition

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@putaspongeon said:

You should give Homeworld a go, it was quite the RTS in it's day and still holds up now.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thepclovingguy

@kozio said:

Nobunaga's Ambition

looks like a nice game, but I never heard about it before.

Kozio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Kozio
Member since 2015 • 781 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
@kozio said:

Nobunaga's Ambition

It's just 33 years old series xD.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thepclovingguy

@kozio said:
@thepclovingguy said:
@kozio said:

Nobunaga's Ambition

It's just 33 years old series xD.

I thought you were referering to this game

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

They are,but aside from all the technical issues when making/porting a game like that to consoles,there´s also the fact that they usually sell considerably less than the PC versions. All the extra work is probably not worth it for most strategy game devs.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 thepclovingguy

@Nanomage said:

They are,but aside from all the technical issues when making/porting a game like that to consoles,there´s also the fact that they usually sell considerably less than the PC versions. All the extra work is probably not worth it for most strategy game devs.

they just need to advertise these games a bit more,

I am sure halo wars 2 will sell great both on pc and xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiiffLQcvE

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thepclovingguy
Loading Video...

a lord of the rings themed rts game could attract a lot of console gamers.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
@Nanomage said:

they just need to advertise these games a bit more,

I am sure halo wars 2 will sell great both on pc and xbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMiiffLQcvE

Oh Halo Wars 2 will sell pretty well I´m sure,the original is probably the best selling western developed strategy game on consoles ever(I think,correct me if I´m wrong),but the main reason why it did and will again do really well is because of the Halo name,regardless of it being a good game or not.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

Steam controller are for sure better for RTS. But like many genre of games, the xbox controller is not good. Very popular games like FPS are a joke on controller compare to keyboard and mouse. Unless you play with a bot. So I don't see the problem to play TW series with a controller even if it's not that good.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lawlessx

@thepclovingguy said:
Loading Video...

there was already out made years ago for the xbox360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

The Wii U Gamepad is perfect for this kind of stuff. Which is probably one of the greatest shames of the console as a whole. The console was perfect for more PC oriented stuff as typical console controllers didn't have the flexibility or the simplicity of mouse+keyboard as there was usually too many complex button combinations to make them easy to understand and utilize. Pikmin 3 kind of showed us how it could have worked, but alas, no dice.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thepclovingguy

@lawlessx said:
@thepclovingguy said:
Loading Video...

there was already out made years ago for the xbox360.

I am talking about a more cinematic rts experience such as total war combined with lord of the rings.

The average person wants to see epicness and increadible high detailed graphics like you see in battlefield

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIHYxaN3SUc

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#34  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

They've always been possible, it would just require some pretty innovative approaches to the controls. The controls wouldn't be impossible, but they would be a big uphill battle. You can't just force people to buy a Steam Controller-like controller for the other consoles just to play one game. This forces you to come up with a unique control scheme that works with a controller.

For all of its faults, Halo Wars actually found a decent control scheme for the consoles. My biggest problem there was the game design was a bit too classic RTS which meant it wanted me to assign groups and micromanage too much. Since a controller can't really handle those tasks, the actually scenarios and gameplay found in Halo Wars ended up being pretty straight forward and shallow. The core of the game was built around a control scheme that gave more individual control, but the controller didn't offer that forcing them to craft shallow scenarios.

The Total War games specifically have a CPU and RAM related issue that they would have too tackle. Graphically they could be done on the PS4/Xbox One through changing up the art style to be a bit less demanding of the rendering, but the CPU and RAM limitations would stifle the traditional Total War design a bit too much. Unit counts would have to drop and the grand strategy level of Total War would suffer as they would have to reduce the amount of decisions the AI makes to make them run on the weaker CPUs of the PS4/Xbox One.

It's all technically doable, but since the audience isn't all that big and it's an uphill battle the entire time, it's just not worth it. Nobody is going to waste their money developing a console-specific RTS today since RTS fans exist on the PC.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@thepclovingguy: Yet xcom bombed on consoles. So did strategy rpgs liek wasteland 2 and divinity.

I bet Halo Wars 2, if it's not shit, will sell more on pc.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@unrealgunner said:

I would, stop generalizing

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PutASpongeOn

@thepclovingguy said:
@putaspongeon said:

have you even tried total war, I would even suggest a total war game to a none rts gamer because of these particular cinematic and action pumped battles, which you can experience in the game,

this looks way more epic than these tiny 20vs20 engagements in star wars battlefront ea or any other brainless action shooter

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

See I had one of those (physical) back in the day and while it gave me some enjoyment, not too much. It's not really the cinematic fights I want. I'm a big mythology person, I also liked how soldiers and heroes leveled up in battle for middle earth, and honestly I dislike space rts. I like building up troops and collecting resources, building up troops and keeping up a steady defense while enemies attack me unsuccessfully as I build better and better defenses and then eventually going out with my army and taking on the enemy bases.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PutASpongeOn

Kingdom Under Fire 2 is coming to PS4 along with it's PC release, that's a mix of action and rts, maybe that'll bring some interest to console gamers.

PutASpongeOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PutASpongeOn

@jereb31 said:
@putaspongeon said:

You should give Homeworld a go, it was quite the RTS in it's day and still holds up now.

Space rts pull me off, I like space in games but not in rts.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@darklight4 said:
@unrealgunner said:

I would, stop generalizing

No they really wouldn't, and Halo Wars was a good indication of that. The RTS crowd exists on the PC. RTSs on the consoles face a major uphill battle to overcome technical and gameplay related issues of playing on a console. Since RTSs were never really a big thing on the consoles, the audience for them exists almost solely on the PC. If you want to play RTSs, you get a PC. Same with MMOs and flight/combat sims. That's just how the markets have evolved over the years. Fighting the uphill battle to make a decent RTS on the console is just not going to be worth the small amount of people who would end up playing it.

There is a reason XCOM 2 isn't going on the consoles right away (if at all).

rollermint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rollermint
Member since 2010 • 632 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:
@unrealgunner said:

You talk as if they never tried bringing strategy games to consoles. They already did with a bunch of games. They all didn't work out.

A bunch of console guys asking is evidently not enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@thepclovingguy:

Wii fit sold incredible and had its own controller.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MrGeezer

@lundy86_4 said:

RTS games will definitely work on console, especially with the option for keyboard/mouse. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking in terms of complexity.

Well, see, that's the thing. I can't recall about Microsoft or Nintendo, but didn't Sony's consoles have keyboard/mouse capability at least as far back as the PS3? Yet, how many freaking games actually utilized the PS3's keyboard/mouse functionality? Barely any (as far as I'm aware), because no one's playing games on their PS3 with a keyboard and mouse. And keep in mind, this is taking into account that most people ALREADY have a keyboard/mouse in their homes and they technically wouldn't have to buy ANY new controllers. It's too much to expect console owners to take their ALREADY OWNED keyboard/mouse and simply plug it into their console.

Same thing with RTS games. Any RTS that's built from the ground up to work well with console controllers is probably gonna be shallow and simplistic, which is a turnoff to people who are actually fans of those kinds of games. And no one's gonna make the good RTS games work on consoles by using keyboard/mouse support, because people don't want to have to use a damn keyboard/mouse just to play their console games. People who care are already doing this on PC, and the people who don't care are NEVER gonna care enough to have to use a damn keyboard/mouse.

I'd like to think I'm wrong about this, but I don't think I am. Because if I'm wrong, I'd LOVE to get some keyboard/mouse support in console first person shooters. But I don't think that's ever gonna happen.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

It might work but they will have to make some compromises and it'll also require a lot of R&D to make it happen. In the end it won't be worth it because market isn't there on Consoles.

There is a reason why XCom 2 sold poorly on Consoles and that was Turn Based Game which is easier to port on Consoles unlike Real Time Strategy/Tactics.

Of course they can make a community of loyal fans on Consoles but that will require years of work and a lot of game releases.

And even when it happens, it'll still be hard to play the game on Controller. You'll be fighting with the inventory more and playing the game less.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By thepclovingguy

@putaspongeon said:
@thepclovingguy said:
@putaspongeon said:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

See I had one of those (physical) back in the day and while it gave me some enjoyment, not too much. It's not really the cinematic fights I want. I'm a big mythology person, I also liked how soldiers and heroes leveled up in battle for middle earth, and honestly I dislike space rts. I like building up troops and collecting resources, building up troops and keeping up a steady defense while enemies attack me unsuccessfully as I build better and better defenses and then eventually going out with my army and taking on the enemy bases.

If you dont know, this game has also a campaign map, where you can build your armies and your empire how ever you like. You can trade, build cities and many other things. Otherwise you could also try out company of heores 2

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Possible? Yes. Successful? No, EA actually managed to created pretty damn great pad controls for CnC3, RA3 and BfME2 on Xbox 360, but those games still sold like crap. Console gamers just don't like the genre.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Of course, it's possible. it's just a matter of adding proper mouse and keyboard support. If a developer is serious, it can add mouse and keyboard support.

Heck, whenever I configure network settings for my old PS3 or add authentication info (eg Netflix) I just plug in a wireless keyboard and mouse to type in a 20-character password rather than torture myself with a controller.

darklight4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 darklight4
Member since 2009 • 2094 Posts

@Wasdie: The best place to play these games is on pc I wasn't against that. I did not like the way he was acting as if all console gamers are the same. I enjoyed Xcom EU and the expansion, I play games like Tropico 5, Grand ages Medieval, Divinity OS and Wasteland 2, not your typical console gamer. I want to get a pc to play more of these types of games.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thepclovingguy

With the release of halo wars 2 the demand of rts games on console might rise and since the same developer for total war game is working on halo wars 2, console users might even see future total war games on console. I also dont believe you have to dumb down rts games to make them work on console since I have no issues at all playing rts games with the steam controller, although the steam controller uses a touch pad for aiming.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

Show me a PS4 running Total War Attila and I'll show you a PS4 on fire.

Those weaksauce CPU's ain't gonna be running battles with 5,000 troops running AI, path-finding and animations.

PC's got it all now, thanks to the Steam controller, you can finally play games like this on a TV. No crappy console and dumbing down of the genre required.