Rising Thunder is a fighting game I can actually respect.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

Rising Thunder alpha is out now, and it's fantastic.

Finally, a fighting game that feels like it was built for a controller instead of a damn fight stick. Having to do obscure inputs on a gamepad just to get special moves out seems incredibly awkward and stupid these days. We're dealing with controllers that have 14 usable buttons, so it's nice to see a game like Rising Thunder make use of them in a way that's simple and fun.

When I play fighting games, I only learn a few characters. It's annoying juggling between different fighters when they all have different special moves and combos to learn. With Rising Thunder, I feel relaxed jumping between different characters. I can learn characters in just minutes instead of hours. It has the complexity of a game like street fighter without all the dumb obscure timings involved.

I'm way more excited for this then the next Street Fighter. Anyone else on the same boat? It's nice to see someone doing something different with fighting games instead doing the same old shit from the 90's.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

how am i supposed to know what you are talking about when you dont post no pictures or videos.

Never heard of this game

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

So casul.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

Sounds like you enjoy games for NOOBS!!

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JangoWuzHere

@RTUUMM said:

how am i supposed to know what you are talking about when you dont post no pictures or videos.

Never heard of this game

It's that Rise of the Robots game that we always wanted.

Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: Ballz, primal instinct, battle areana toshiden, tobal, ergheiz ? 90s where better for fighting games than now and had lot more variety.

Never mention THAT game.... rise of the robots.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

@JangoWuzHere:

I just watched a video on Youtube and the game look ok-good. I'd for sure try this one and see how it compete with the major I know the existence.

In my case I don't mind if it take time to learn character move although...

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Sounds to me you just need to git gud.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

I've been playing this since yesterday, game is really good...and do not think for a second that its simple, each character has a lot of depth, having simple inputs is just the tip of the iceberg, if you don't have good fundamentals you will be destroyed.

However, as fun as this game is, i don't see it as the next big thing, is just a fun game, nothing more, nothing less.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@madsnakehhh said:

I've been playing this since yesterday, game is really good...and do not think for a second that its simple, each character has a lot of depth, having simple inputs is just the tip of the iceberg, if you don't have good fundamentals you will be destroyed.

However, as fun as this game is, i don't see it as the next big thing, is just a fun game, nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, but that's my point. It's hard to focus on the core depth of fighting games when you have to spend a lot of time adapting timings and specific inputs to muscle memory. Rising Thunder skips that bullshit and gets to the fun part of fighting games.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I like what I played of the alpha, but no, we're a long way away from this game competing with Street Fighter in the depth department. The game has a lot of potential and it's something relatively new so that's also exciting.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, memorizing special moves in fighting games is the worst. This game looks cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

I think fighting games might not be for you if you have trouble memorizing a handful of combinations.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#14 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts

It's not hard to memorize moves in Street Fighter. Most of the characters control in a similar manner (mostly either circular motions or charging motions). If you know the moves for a few characters, you can figure out the moves for other characters just by experimenting and improvising, without having to look up command lists.

Anyway, Rising Thunder looks interesting. I might check it out some time.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@jg4xchamp said:

I like what I played of the alpha, but no, we're a long way away from this game competing with Street Fighter in the depth department. The game has a lot of potential and it's something relatively new so that's also exciting.

Well, if Street Fighter is like Counter Strike in terms of competition, then I could see Rising Thunder as the potential Halo of fighting games. A game that is easily accesible, but still seen as a competitive game.

@Aljosa23 said:

I think fighting games might not be for you if you have trouble memorizing a handful of combinations.

No one has trouble memorizing combinations, it's just time consuming and not fun.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jg4xchamp

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Well, if Street Fighter is like Counter Strike in terms of competition, then I could see Rising Thunder as the potential Halo of fighting games. A game that is easily accesible, but still seen as a competitive game.

@Aljosa23 said:

No one has trouble memorizing combinations, it's just time consuming and not fun.

Relatively fair comparison, with potentially the same brand of being looked down on.

I disagree with the 2nd part though. I understand that certain games can be unnecessarily complicated, but I don't get why we assume accessibility is this automatic positive, and complexity is a failure. If anything the complexity adds layers of depth that you simply can not have in an accessible game, and more to it actually learning the game and then getting good at it can be a far more rewarding experience. As fun as Titanfall was last year, it having nothing to offer from a depth standpoint because it was trying to even more accessible in a genre about twitch reflexes no less, meant you learned all the game had to offer.

Yeah could Street Fighter cut out some bullshit? Yeah vega shouldn't be a 1 frame link character, that's a little unnecessary, but there is an absolute level of gratification for people willing to learn the game, and then play that game with all those combos and "complicated inputs" becoming 2nd nature. I also think shitting on the fight sticks is kind of lame, I personally don't think those games need to be tied to just what the gamepad can handle. Arcade sticks a great interface.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17  Edited By 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

git gud casul scrub

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I thought you were talking about Hydro Thunder for some reason. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#19 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:

How hardcore of you.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JangoWuzHere

@jg4xchamp said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@Aljosa23 said:

Relatively fair comparison, with potentially the same brand of being looked down on.

I disagree with the 2nd part though. I understand that certain games can be unnecessarily complicated, but I don't get why we assume accessibility is this automatic positive, and complexity is a failure. If anything the complexity adds layers of depth that you simply can not have in an accessible game, and more to it actually learning the game and then getting good at it can be a far more rewarding experience. As fun as Titanfall was last year, it having nothing to offer from a depth standpoint because it was trying to even more accessible in a genre about twitch reflexes no less, meant you learned all the game had to offer.

Yeah could Street Fighter cut out some bullshit? Yeah vega shouldn't be a 1 frame link character, that's a little unnecessary, but there is an absolute level of gratification for people willing to learn the game, and then play that game with all those combos and "complicated inputs" becoming 2nd nature. I also think shitting on the fight sticks is kind of lame, I personally don't think those games need to be tied to just what the gamepad can handle. Arcade sticks a great interface.

I can have my Rising Thunder, and you can play your Street Fighter. I will always play Halo over Counter Strike, and I never worry about "being looked down upon." I want a game that I can finally jump into and actually learn how to play fighting games. I don't need or want complexity when I don't even understand the basics of most fighting games yet. Every fighting game ever is totally shit at teaching players out to play the actual game. It's nice to pick up a game like Rising Thunder and get to the core of fighting games without all the stupid fluff.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

I can see this gaming being complex and good on a different scale than street fighter. I will admit that eliminating quarter circle motions and other various motions will make execution easier for a lot of people but IMO I like the idea of having those motions. Heck in Street Fighter 4 for the longest I avoided playing charge characters because I couldn't perform the charge motions. But I sat myself down one day and just played around with the characters in both matches and training mode, and eventually got the timing down for charge moves somewhat consistently. I felt good when I got to that point. I guess what I'm getting at here is some people just don't really put in the time to learn things that may take time to understand how to perform them and just want instant gratification.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: Looking into it and it does seem fun.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Sounds good

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Fight sticks aren't required for all fighting games, it comes down to preference.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

All fighting games are trash, when you can win by spamming inputs or doing the same moves over and over. Maybe that's just my experience with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@faizanhd said:
@Aljosa23 said:

How hardcore of you.

Naw, nothing like that. It's just weird how on this forum a user not liking a game is entirely the fault of the game itself. As if it's impossible for the genre/game to just not be their thing. I don't like flight sims or sim racers but I'm not going to blame that dislike on the game and shit all over them while demanding one that specifically caters to me.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

@Dibdibdobdobo said:

Sounds like you enjoy games for NOOBS!!

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@360ru13r said:

I can see this gaming being complex and good on a different scale than street fighter. I will admit that eliminating quarter circle motions and other various motions will make execution easier for a lot of people but IMO I like the idea of having those motions. Heck in Street Fighter 4 for the longest I avoided playing charge characters because I couldn't perform the charge motions. But I sat myself down one day and just played around with the characters in both matches and training mode, and eventually got the timing down for charge moves somewhat consistently. I felt good when I got to that point. I guess what I'm getting at here is some people just don't really put in the time to learn things that may take time to understand how to perform them and just want instant gratification.

That shouldn't be rewarding for you, that's incredibly basic stuff. The fact that you had to basically commit a day to learning how to somewhat use charge characters proves my point. That's not even the core part of the game, and yet fighting games demand a huge amount of time consumption just to be half way competent with them.

@Aljosa23 said:
@faizanhd said:
@Aljosa23 said:

How hardcore of you.

Naw, nothing like that. It's just weird how on this forum a user not liking a game is entirely the fault of the game itself. As if it's impossible for the genre/game to just not be their thing. I don't like flight sims or sim racers but I'm not going to blame that dislike on the game and shit all over them while demanding one that specifically caters to me.

What's wrong with me expressing my dislike for a genre/game? Are fighting games somehow immune to outside criticism?

You're overreacting, just like usual.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 360ru13r

@JangoWuzHere: granted it did take me sometime to learn but it wasn't really that much. It may have taken me about an hour. But I understand what you mean by basics should be really simple to learn.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Whatever happened to picking a fighting game and fully mastering 2-3 characters that appealed to your style of play? Have our attention spans shrunk so much?

I'm definitely going to get Tekken 7. Shit on your Rising Thunder.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JangoWuzHere said:

@Aljosa23 said:
@faizanhd said:
@Aljosa23 said:

How hardcore of you.

What's wrong with me expressing my dislike for a genre/game? Are fighting games somehow immune to outside criticism?

I don't really consider what you said to be legit criticism. It just sounds like you can't take the time to learn the game, which is fine, but that's entirely your own fault not the game's.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere

@Aljosa23 said:
@JangoWuzHere said:
@Aljosa23 said:
@faizanhd said:
@Aljosa23 said:

How hardcore of you.

I don't really consider what you said to be legit criticism. It just sounds like you can't take the time to learn the game, which is fine, but that's entirely your own fault not the game's.

Well, if I'm wrong, then fighting game legend Seth Killian is somehow wrong too. Rising Thunder was primarily made to do away with obscure inputs and frame timing.

Why do I need to commit months stretching my muscle memory just to be decent at a fighting game? No other game genre requires that sort of commitment. I think you're crazy if you think that's not a legit criticism. That's not the good or fun part of fighting games and you know that.

If the only way to shoot a sniper rifle in Counter Strike was to do a 360 spin every time, you would find that absurd. That's how I feel about most fighting games. Obscurity getting in the way of the core action.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

quarter turn fireballs adding a layer of unnecessary complexity is some lulu style of bullshit. people don't stick with fighting games because they fucking suck at them and don't get the instant gratification that the games of the past two gens have granted them.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

I agree somewhat, I gave up on SFIV since the input timing seemed to be ridiculous, I've spent hours in training mode and I could really only perform attacks that required inputs similar to Hadouken (you know half circle and press a punch/kick). It ain't right that I have a better chance pulling of an attack button mashing then when I'm actually trying to practice it.

Plus pros in the game don't seem human at all, their characters responsiveness are freaking unbelievable, my punches and kicks don't come out and connect nearly as fast as theirs. I hate when people say I don't block, I block enough it is pointless since my pro enemies have lightening quick reflexes they'll just immediately grab me and continue their DanceDanceRevolution beatdown and I can never find an opening since they seem to be throwing like 5 punches and kicks a second.

Street Fighter is definitely the CounterStrike of fighting games except at least in CounterStrike there are much more factors that can help in you winning a match or getting a kill.

I like Skullgirls, it is a great introduction into fighting games, I can actually pull off all the moves so the only thing I really have to focus on is creating combos and reacting to my enemies attack patterns and even as a noob I stood a chance against the more experienced players, you know like actually managing to take out at least half their health before I lose the round.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JangoWuzHere

@NoodleFighter said:

I agree somewhat, I gave up on SFIV since the input timing seemed to be ridiculous, I've spent hours in training mode and I could really only perform attacks that required inputs similar to Hadouken (you know half circle and press a punch/kick). It ain't right that I have a better chance pulling of an attack button mashing then when I'm actually trying to practice it.

Plus pros in the game don't seem human at all, their characters responsiveness are freaking unbelievable, my punches and kicks don't come out and connect nearly as fast as theirs. I hate when people say I don't block, I block enough it is pointless since my pro enemies have lightening quick reflexes they'll just immediately grab me and continue their DanceDanceRevolution beatdown and I can never find an opening since they seem to be throwing like 5 punches and kicks a second.

Street Fighter is definitely the CounterStrike of fighting games except at least in CounterStrike there are much more factors that can help in you winning a match or getting a kill.

I like Skullgirls, it is a great introduction into fighting games, I can actually pull off all the moves so the only thing I really have to focus on is creating combos and reacting to my enemies attack patterns and even as a noob I stood a chance against the more experienced players, you know like actually managing to take out at least half their health before I lose the round.

(This is me playing)

I just discovered this combo by myself, In Rising Thunder, this took me 2 minutes to learn and master. In every other fighting game, this would take me close to an hour. Actually pulling off that combo in the heat of battle would also be a completely different story.

This is the cool part of fighting games. Struggling to do these kinds of combos with inputs and tight frame linking has never been fun for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305

@JangoWuzHere said:

Well, if I'm wrong, then fighting game legend Seth Killian is somehow wrong too. Rising Thunder was primarily made to do away with obscure inputs and frame timing.

Why do I need to commit months stretching my muscle memory just to be decent at a fighting game? No other game genre requires that sort of commitment. I think you're crazy if you think that's not a legit criticism. That's not the good or fun part of fighting games and you know that.

If the only way to shoot a sniper rifle in Counter Strike was to do a 360 spin every time, you would find that absurd. That's how I feel about most fighting games. Obscurity getting in the way of the core action.

Killian is a corporate mouthpiece, I don't really care what he has to say about anything.

Execution is part of the learning curve in fighting games and that's what makes them so rewarding and visceral to me. The feeling of gratification when you master an FADC or consistently hit links is comparable only to Dark Souls in how good it feels. I understand that you want an easier barrier of entry but that will drastically take away depth if any random player can pull off 50% damage combos. At that point it'll just encourage a lot of turtling play due to the fact that whichever player does that super easy max hit ultra combo first will be the winner, and that sounds terrible to me. Fighting games have a perfect risk/reward situation going in and if you take away the risk from doing high level combos it dilutes the game's depth.

Funny that you mentioned Counter Strike, I'd compare that to something like Street Fighter. Those twitch shooters also have high levels of execution needed to be successful hence why a newbie can't beat a seasoned player. I don't see how that's any different than what Street Fighter has other than the motions and movement being different. Plenty of games have physical barriers of entry but it only seems to be an issue in fighting games. I personally have fun learning a game and practicing my skills just like anything else. I am okay with timesinks since that means less money is spent adding to my backlog lol.

I will agree that stuff like one frame links being bread and butter combos are terrible game design. I'd definitely do away with those.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jg4xchamp

@JangoWuzHere said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I can have my Rising Thunder, and you can play your Street Fighter. I will always play Halo over Counter Strike, and I never worry about "being looked down upon." I want a game that I can finally jump into and actually learn how to play fighting games. I don't need or want complexity when I don't even understand the basics of most fighting games yet. Every fighting game ever is totally shit at teaching players out to play the actual game. It's nice to pick up a game like Rising Thunder and get to the core of fighting games without all the stupid fluff.

The being looked down upon wasn't meant at you mate, I meant just like the counterstrike crowd tends to thumb their noise at Halo, because it's an auto-aim shooter with heavy aim assist with very shallow gameplay, is exactly Running Thunder will probably get treated. That said your entire rant could have just been about the value of a fighting game that has lowered the skill floor as a gateway drug game, but instead you chose to shit on an entire genre while being completely fucking ignorant to why people like that execution factor of a fighting game.

If you make a combo too easy, it's too viable, potentially too broken, and changes the metagame of a fighting game. The part where you have to execute is what adds to not only how fluid some fighting games are given your need to master cancels, timing windows, and links, but also because in a high pressure you actually have to deliver, there is in a chance you can whiff because you couldn't handle it at that moment.

Realistically games like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter's "high execution barrier" is not an actual fault, if the player is not willing to learn, that's on them. At some point games used to be about actually learning the damn thing. What those games can do better in the modern era is have way better teaching tools. Killer Instinct is average as you can get as a fighting game, but the teaching tools in it are amazing.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:

Finally, a fighting game that feels like it was built for a controller instead of a damn fight stick

There's been a fighting game series that's been pioneering this since 1999

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jg4xchamp

@princeofshapeir said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

Finally, a fighting game that feels like it was built for a controller instead of a damn fight stick

There's been a fighting game series that's been pioneering this since 1999

Plus, the recent MK games have a lot of standard d-pad inputs with very little angles or quarter circles for a lot of the characters. Not that a fight stick doesn't improve the game, but it's plenty playable on a d-pad.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#42  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19382 Posts

@NoodleFighter said:

Like with professional combat sports, it's not simply about quick reflexes, but more importantly, about timing and "ring IQ". Even if you had slightly quicker reflexes, you can still be beaten if your opponent can read your moves, accurately time his attacks, and react with the right maneuvers at the right times. The pros don't simply have quick reflexes, but a high "ring IQ" and great timing to go along with it.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 360ru13r

I'm with alot of people talking about people not willing to put in the time to learn how to play a fighter. Fighting games are like the Tennis. Yeah they have a very basic concept but without any practice in the famous words of Akuma "Prepare your self (Smacks you with raging demon)" Your going to get wrecked. And fighting games have what's consider "High execution" is considered a turn off for most but for someone like me who got into Street Fighter and like putting in time to learn how to play a character or two. The game really opens up. Like when I first learned how to play the game I sucked but after I learned the basics and found a character I like, my amor Juri, the game became a whole lot of fun. And for alot of people these games become hard because once someone reaches that barrier of beating down your favorite character like Bruce Lee beat Chuck Norris alot of people get turned off and quite because they can't see themselves getting to that level. Which is why people might tend to stay away from them. It really is for the most part you verses the other player which could explain alot of the popularity of Smash Brothers now being a game played at EVO. In most fighters there is no safety net of a team like in MOBA and team slayer of shooters. It's your skill verses the other players skill.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Meh.. the game looks ok, but the moves aren't all the special to me. Judge for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYNpOSU9EY4