Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Apparently sony is quietly killing off the accessory going forward.

https://youtu.be/VpQ4g2s6gcU

Not surprising. It never had that must own title and it always had a low attachment to the ps4.

If you play anything online with the thing, I’d get your rocks off now because sony has a history of prematurely killing online functionality on less than popular titles.

Were you a fan? Will you miss it?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

It was the walking dead from the beginning. ;o

Poo bovine brigade, a break can't even be bought these dayzz. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

Honestly it was an horrible device with really bad picture quality that people liked to pretend it was great. I'm all for VR but that was not it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Why would they offer free adapters for PS5?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

I always said it was an udder failure lol

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sevenizz

@MonsieurX: I think it’s because ps5 marketing is promoting free BC? Can’t promise that if you’re paying for the cord.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I enjoy mine but play it rarely because I get motion sick. Generally only in games where you walk. As an example, in the Tomb Raider VR part... it takes about 30-90 seconds for me to get a headache. In RE7 it was about 15 minutes. Games like Star Trek Bridge Crew or Moss where you're basically stationary and looking around, I never got sick or even a headache.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

But- but VR is the future!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#9 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

It mostly just annoys me when stuff like Resident Evil 7 are VR exclusive to this and locked out to all other headsets, in what is already a small pool.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1237 Posts

Astrobot is a must play title....

Didn't watch the vid but please don't be true.

Also they might just be talking about PSVR 1.0 .... haven't they already confirmed 2.0's development is well underway?

Might skip out on consoles entirely if this is true.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

I never own any kind of VR set. Just not my thing...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Personally I really don’t care about it one way or the other. I prefer the standard flat screen gaming experience myself.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69462 Posts

Sony and MS should just allow for existing VR systems to work on their consoles and call it a day.

faponte13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 faponte13
Member since 2013 • 263 Posts

@my_user_name: the video just says that psvr won't work with ps5 version of games only ps4 version. Most likely getting ready for psvr2 and don't want people to be upset that they bought a ps5 psvr2 game and it didn't work with the original headset.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarthBuzzard
Member since 2019 • 360 Posts

@dzimm said:

But- but VR is the future!

PSVR2 is still coming, and VR is a very important part of the future.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Shame

I was planning to get it at some point, especially if it was supported on PS5

I might need to skip it now

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dzimm
@darthbuzzard said:

VR is a very important part of the future.

No it's not.

Avatar image for deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
deactivated-60c3d23d2738e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-60c3d23d2738e
Member since 2009 • 3934 Posts

Too think psvr cost more than the quest 2 is mind boggling. Cows are cows though, mindless fat slabs of beef.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Not killing PSVR, just expanding it towards PS5.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@Sevenizz: is that why they’re shipping free connections to the ps5? More FUD from the insecure lems

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

No it's not.

As if someone as close-minded as you would know anything about the future.

Oh yeah, didn't you say that the future can't be predicted? Not a good look, Dzimm. Not a good look at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Nah, there’s just a new headset coming. The PS5 is a far more capable device and optic tech has gotten better and cheaper. Giving out free PSVR adapters for PS4 to PS5 allows devs to continue work and sell their titles in the mean time.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

PlayStation VR isn’t going away. They just aren’t bringing out PSVR 2 until 2022 or later which is a bummer because gen 1 is severely lacking compared to the latest headsets coming out from HP and Oculus/Facebook among others.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

lolvr

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

The PSVR has too low of a resolution.

They are going to upgrade it to a 1440/1600 display with a higher FOV as the PS5 can support higher spec's than a PS4 AND has the power to power it.

This is not the end of PSVR its the end of a model.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

PS VR isn't going away. It's just not really worth heavily investing in VR on just the PS5 at the moment.

Heck, PSVR has only sold like what 5-6M units to an install base of 100M+ PS4s.

The PS5 needs to be in more people's hands before we get a PSVR2 and next-gen VR experiences.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

PSVR was great for the time but definitely needs an upgrade. Looking forward to getting the PSVR 2.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ZmanBarzel
Member since 2014 • 3138 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Why would they offer free adapters for PS5?

To not give owners of PSVR on the PS4 an excuse for not upgrading to the new machine, perhaps? If they know the VR system they've invested X hundreds of dollars on isn't permanently locked to the last-gen machine, that's one less reason to not upgrade.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sevenizz

@phlop_spencer: They’re special order. They are not shopping with every ps5.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dzimm

@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

No it's not.

Oh yeah, didn't you say that the future can't be predicted? Not a good look, Dzimm. Not a good look at all.

Not really sure what you're talking about. But think about it: the biggest VR release to date was Half-Life: Alyx which was a hot topic for like two-days, sold very few copies, and then everybody quickly forgot about it because VR is a gimmick that doesn't offer any lasting value. VR at its most successful will always be a niche product.

I think the best example of the trajectory of VR is at my local Micro Center: a couple years ago they had a large, centrally located VR demo area and multiple shelves of VR gear. Due to lack of interest, it was eventually replaced with a traditional multi-monitor racing setup, and VR products were reduced to a single shelf. Now there's no longer even a shelf for VR and instead it is relegated to one or two tiny end-caps.

The fact is that nobody outside of a small but fiercely loyal customer base cares about VR.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I have a PSVR and never use it. Probably only used it a handful of times. I'm not a fan of hooking up all the wires and then having this huge thing strapped to my head. Plus things look very blurry and it seems to drift a lot. But that may have been fixed since I last used it, it has been well over a year and probably closer to 2 years.

If they made the new headset smaller with a higher definition screen, I may try it again. I would try before buying though.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@Sevenizz: lol all it takes is for you to shoot a quick confirmation. One button and you get a free adapter. Why would they include it with every ps5 if not everyone has a PSVR?

Use your head, whatever’s left in there anyway

Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 734 Posts

I have a PSVR and I hate it. But I think it's because VR just isn't for me. I'm not a big fan of horror games and I've been told that is where VR shines. I think the device was a modest success, but not sure it's worth investing in long term. VR will probably get popular again in about ten years and the fervor will start all over.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

....Does OP think this is all VR for Sony going forward?

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarthBuzzard

@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

No it's not.

Not really sure what you're talking about. But think about it: the biggest VR release to date was Half-Life: Alyx which was a hot topic for like two-days, sold very few copies, and then everybody quickly forgot about it because VR is a gimmick that doesn't offer any lasting value. VR at its most successful will always be a niche product.

I think the best example of the trajectory of VR is at my local Micro Center: a couple years ago they had a large, centrally located VR demo area and multiple shelves of VR gear. Due to lack of interest, it was eventually replaced with a traditional multi-monitor racing setup, and VR products were reduced to a single shelf. Now there's no longer even a shelf for VR and instead it is relegated to one or two tiny end-caps.

The fact is that nobody outside of a small but fiercely loyal customer base cares about VR.

You throw out words and you don't even know what they mean, Dzimm. Not a good look, Dzimm.

Half Life didn't sell millions of copies simply because VR is in it's early stages; the same way that Space Invaders did not sell gangbusters at launch despite being considered a killer app at launch.

Most people who play the game love it and find it anything but a gimmick.

The fact is that nobody outside of a small but fiercely loyal customer base cares about [insert any succesful technology] in it's early days. Phones, computers, consoles, tablets, TVs, you name it. Most people didn't care about them. Most people thought they were fads. Most people were wrong about them.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ZmanBarzel

@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

No it's not.

You throw out words and you don't even know what they mean, Dzimm. Not a good look, Dzimm.

Half Life didn't sell millions of copies simply because VR is in it's early stages; the same way that Space Invaders did not sell gangbusters at launch despite being considered a killer app at launch.

The fact is that nobody outside of a small but fiercely loyal customer base cares about [insert any succesful technology] in it's early days. Phones, computers, consoles, tablets, TVs, you name it. Most people didn't care about them. Most people thought they were fads. Most people were wrong about them.

If you're looking for an example for your argument, you should probably look at something other than Space Invaders. It was a rousing success both in the arcade and especially at home on the VCS.

DarthBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DarthBuzzard

@zmanbarzel said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

If you're looking for an example for your argument, you should probably look at something other than Space Invaders. It was a rousing success both in the arcade and especially at home on the VCS.

Yes, a resounding success in the sense that it sold 2 million units in it's first year. Half Life hasn't had a full year yet, and while I don't believe it will reach 2 million that fast, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 1.5 million. Good considering that it's more expensive and harder to setup than an Atari 2600 even adjusted for inflation.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sevenizz

@davillain-: ‘Not killing PSVR, just expanding it towards PS5.’

Watch the video. Sony has no psvr plans for 2020 and 2021 first party wise. Obviously this iteration is done. Whether or not there’s a psvr2 is up in the air. This wasn’t a success.

xWillKillsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 xWillKillsx
Member since 2020 • 62 Posts

Please! Sony did great with the VR and they will have one for the PS5 as well.

ZmanBarzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZmanBarzel

@darthbuzzard said:
@zmanbarzel said:
@darthbuzzard said:
@dzimm said:
@darthbuzzard said:

Yes, a resounding success in the sense that it sold 2 million units in it's first year. Half Life hasn't had a full year yet, and while I don't believe it will reach 2 million that fast, I wouldn't be surprised to see it at 1.5 million. Good considering that it's more expensive and harder to setup than an Atari 2600 even adjusted for inflation.

2 million units then isn't equivalent to 2 million units now. It's the whole "big fish in a small pond" analogy. The video game/PC poind in the late '70s and early '80s was a fraction of what it is now. Selling 2 million units of something then would be much closer to the numbers Animal Crossing has put up this year.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dzimm
@darthbuzzard said:

The fact is that nobody outside of a small but fiercely loyal customer base cares about [insert any succesful technology] in it's early days.

Except it's not "early days" for VR. It has been actively developed for many years, and we're on fourth and fifth generation hardware at this point. It's mature technology, ready for the masses. Except the masses don't care. You're never going to see VR widely adopted like smartphones and portable music players simply because most people are not interested in playing games with goggles strapped to their face. VR will always be a high end niche product like articulated racing chairs and homemade flight simulator cockpits: cool technology, embraced by a dedicated few, and utterly ignored by everybody else.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

I still think VR is awesome technology. It just needs to get more affordable. It gives an experience and possibilities not available with regular games. They should make any VR headset with similar or better specs work on consoles, that will push the prices down.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

If true that would be hilarious.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 mrbojangles25  Online
Member since 2005 • 58304 Posts

Well, this is a loss for VR because it will limit exposure for the platform.

On the other hand, this is good for VR because it's one less company that would promote exclusivity and limit or control that exposure.

Let someone else lead the way with VR or, better yet, let numerous places lead the way, with open platforms that lead to greater development and healthy competition.

VR is awesome, and I hope people do not misinterpret this as otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

I love my PSVR. Playing Skyrim in VR and actually hearing the dragon drop and roar behind you with surround sound headphones and turning around only to have it looking down at you was probably a defining moment in my 25 years of gaming. I never experienced anything like it before. I've since moved on to VR on PC which is much better, but PSVR was my introduction to a brand new gameplay experience, so will have fond memories of it and I'm glad I took the risk and bought one.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@SecretPolice: Yeah we're have it so hard right now :)

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

What? No. Sony promised PSVR was here to stay. Available at launch. All that good jazz.

What happened?