REVOLUTION GRAPHICS to be BETTER if not the SAME as 360 and PS3

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 goodumz
Member since 2005 • 722 Posts

"
GameSpy
: There are many rumors that Nintendo has been working on a new way to render amazingly lifelike graphics without actually rendering anything using new graphics technology. Are there any truth to any of these rumors and what can we look forward to?

Martin Hollis: Well…(smiles) I really can’t go too much into any of that kind of stuff. Nintendo has almost been overkill about not letting any screenshots or trailers leaked to the press. But as to what you are referring to like NURBS or depth-mapped cube maps or the spec of the technology, Nintendo will make those announcements along side our trailer at E3 06’. Just be ready to be completely shocked…I can guarantee that the smokescreen will be blown away come next E3.

GameSpy: Some gaming fans are claiming that Nintendo will not show a screenshot or trailer because the graphics are simply not on par with the other two consoles. Is this speculation without merit or could this be the case?

Martin Hollis: As I said before I really can’t comment on the graphics technologies of the console’s hardware. But rest assured that Nintendo has never manufactured the weakest powered hardware and that won’t change this go around. As to the speculation…did Nintendo not show off the DS’s graphics because they were afraid that it would look underpowered in comparison to the PSP…no. Nintendo was not afraid in the least to showcase the DS’s graphics. Even though they were certainly not as grand as the PSP. Nintendo is definitely not holding back the graphics because they don’t look as good. They just at least for the time being…want for the controller and innovative features to be the prime focus, so the press and what not doesn’t get too hung up on polygon count or dynamic lighting or bump mapping. So the claim that they aren’t releasing screenshots or trailers because they are ashamed of the graphics power is completely absurd.
"

The entire interview can be found here: http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159282&topic=23680336&page=0

alumn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 alumn
Member since 2005 • 1822 Posts
Oh that's right, Flopalution will be more powerful then PS3 and 360 yet being several times smaller. Makes sense to me
SgtWhiskeyjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 SgtWhiskeyjack
Member since 2004 • 16364 Posts
8) but how long is it till E3? The speculation on this could get out of hand.
goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 goodumz

Oh that's right, Flopalution will be more powerful then PS3 and 360 yet being several times smaller. Makes sense to mealumn

I have a 50 gb flash drive that's smaller than a 20 gb ipod.
My laptop is three times more powerful than my desktop at home.

My aston martin mini will tear up a humvee in a drag race any day.
One shot of everclear is stronger than three cans of beer.

I'm sorry, what was your point again?

-Uzi7-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Uzi7-
Member since 2005 • 3833 Posts

OMG:

Flopoltuion

Rehasholution

crapolution

POS3

Lamesation

Crap station

xflop Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 goodumz

answer me, alumn

Resetti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Resetti
Member since 2005 • 119 Posts
Better than X1.5? probably
Better than PS3? We have to wait and see...
Xrules06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xrules06
Member since 2005 • 16294 Posts

I highly doubt it. MS has the money to make ATI make the better GPU for them. Nintendo will get the second best.

nintendo-4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nintendo-4life
Member since 2004 • 18281 Posts
Oh that's right, Flopalution will be more powerful then PS3 and 360 yet being several times smaller. Makes sense to mealumn
actually it is, seeing from this gen:|
goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 goodumz

I highly doubt it. MS has the money to make ATI make the better GPU for them. Nintendo will get the second best.

Xrules06

Better GPU does not necessarily equal better graphics. There may be technology in the hardware, but there is a vast amount of technology in the SOFTWARE as well. [coding, programming and such] Need an example of what I'm saying?

Compare a ten minute WAV file to a ten minute MP3 version of that same file. Which is the file quickest to copy and send all over the internet, open and store conveniently and such.

Nintendo has a new rendering technique up its sleeve that does not need the best GPU to make crap-in-your-pants-graphics.

goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 goodumz

Xrules06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Xrules06
Member since 2005 • 16294 Posts
[QUOTE="Xrules06"]

goodumz

Better GPU does not necessarily equal better graphics. There may be technology in the hardware, but there is a vast amount of technology in the SOFTWARE as well. [coding, programming and such] Need an example of what I'm saying?

Compare a ten minute WAV file to a ten minute MP3 version of that same file. Which is the file quickest to copy and send all over the internet, open and store conveniently and such.

Nintendo has a new rendering technique up its sleeve that does not need the best GPU to make crap-in-your-pants-graphics.

Than Nvidia would go out of business if you could make your old card perform better than a new one.

GAMEFLOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GAMEFLOP
Member since 2005 • 236 Posts
[This message was deleted at the request of board moderator or administrator]
goodumz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 goodumz
[QUOTE="goodumz"][QUOTE="Xrules06"]

Xrules06

Than Nvidia would go out of business if you could make your old card perform better than a new one.

There's a reason why it's called "new" technology. Ati's graphics set is being designed to "WORK DIRECTLY IN THE SAME CHIP" with IBM's processor. That's something that was never done before in the history of graphic cards. What does that mean?

Nintendo is going to reveal not just "better" graphics card technology, but an entirely new graphic technology all together.

-Uzi7-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Uzi7-
Member since 2005 • 3833 Posts
[QUOTE="Xrules06"][QUOTE="goodumz"][QUOTE="Xrules06"]

goodumz

There's a reason why it's called "new" technology. Ati's graphics set is being designed to "WORK DIRECTLY IN THE SAME CHIP" with IBM's processor. That's something that was never done before in the history of graphic cards. What does that mean?

Nintendo is going to reveal not just "better" graphics card technology, but an entirely new graphic technology all together.

And all the Haters will be owned.

danm168

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danm168
Member since 2004 • 4487 Posts

Better than X1.5? probably
Better than PS3? We have to wait and see...
Resetti

indeed

Callous-Bstard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Callous-Bstard
Member since 2003 • 3324 Posts
It's a fake article,obviously. Look at the spelling for a start. :roll:
DynamiteGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DynamiteGA
Member since 2002 • 24402 Posts
It's a fake article,obviously. Look at the spelling for a start. :roll:Callous-Bstard

Yeah, noticed that now. :(
Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5798 Posts
what a fowler...
SilentSolider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SilentSolider
Member since 2005 • 2255 Posts

Definitely fake, couldn't find it anywhere on Gamespy.

I sure wish Nintendo would just show a trailer or tech demo for something so we won't be getting all of these fake interviews, info, pics, etc.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Arthas045
im sorry but that has to be the biggest and worse self-ownage... when you make up articles and pics... no other self-ownage can come close to that imo
-Jaded_Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Jaded_Sphere-
Member since 2004 • 14938 Posts
It's a fake article,obviously. Look at the spelling for a start. :roll:Callous-Bstard
Yeah , it also says the Martin Have been working on Perfect Dark Zero ..which just can't be possible because he left Rare Ware on 1998 ...
smithers_109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 smithers_109
Member since 2004 • 1324 Posts

Definitely fake, couldn't find it anywhere on Gamespy.

I sure wish Nintendo would just show a trailer or tech demo for something so we won't be getting all of these fake interviews, info, pics, etc.

SilentSolider
The interview was all over the Revolution topic boards yesterday. Aparently the interview was leaked from GameSpy or something. Apparently, Gamespy has since threatened legal action. However, I too doubt the authenticity of the article.
-Jaded_Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Jaded_Sphere-
im sorry but that has to be the biggest and worse self-ownage... when you make up articles and pics... no other self-ownage can come close to that imoArthas045
He didn't make it up it was on a forum..plus , it sounded very real first time i read throught it ..:(...
-Teh_Ownage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Teh_Ownage-
Member since 2005 • 334 Posts

Who makes up fake articles

I mean seriously? :|

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Arthas045

[QUOTE="Arthas045"]im sorry but that has to be the biggest and worse self-ownage... when you make up articles and pics... no other self-ownage can come close to that imo-Jaded_Sphere-
He didn't make it up it was on a forum..plus , it sounded very real first time i read throught it ..:(...

well it doesnt matter if he or joe shmoe made this up... its still very sad when people do things like that

PS2_Sux0rs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 PS2_Sux0rs
Member since 2004 • 2092 Posts

[QUOTE="alumn"]Oh that's right, Flopalution will be more powerful then PS3 and 360 yet being several times smaller. Makes sense to megoodumz

Does your flash drive play iTunes?
Is your desktop at home a top of the line model?
A humvee would smoke your mini with the right differential gearing.
three cans of everclear is stronger than one shot of everclear.

asphalt_gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 asphalt_gunner
Member since 2004 • 315 Posts

its not about teh graphics! :o its about teh gimmick controllers! :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 7914217
Member since 2005 • 470 Posts

Who makes up fake articles

I mean seriously? :|

-Teh_Ownage-

Desperate Fanboys
Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rev_Supporter
Member since 2005 • 448 Posts

yep and its called IBM's 65nm process
Firefly_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Firefly_182
Member since 2004 • 3613 Posts

[QUOTE="alumn"]Oh that's right, Flopalution will be more powerful then PS3 and 360 yet being several times smaller. Makes sense to meRev_Supporter

yep and its called IBM's 65nm process

The same thing that's going in newer editions of the PSP... well, maybe not IBMs, but a 65nm process anyway.

Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rev_Supporter

Xrules06

care to back that up........oh you can't

Nfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Nfactor
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts
:|

Don't get me wrong, I like the Revo controller, but it's not gonna be able to measure up graphically to the 360, never minding the PS3. I'm sure it'll be more about the experience then the graphics with the system. But that Gamespy interview seems a little fishy.

FrozenCell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FrozenCell
Member since 2002 • 8955 Posts
lmao cube mapping
Firefly_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Firefly_182

Don't get me wrong, I like the Revo controller, but it's not gonna be able to measure up graphically to the 360, never minding the PS3. I'm sure it'll be more about the experience then the graphics with the system. But that Gamespy interview seems a little fishy.

Nfactor

I don't trust your opinion. I don't think anyone is sad enough to make up an interview that long, and make it look so professional.

Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Rev_Supporter
and look at how small but powerful it is....
-Jaded_Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Jaded_Sphere-

Nfactor
How do you know that? ..-__-...
Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rev_Supporter
and look at how small but powerful the PSP is using 65nm process...Rev_Supporter
Nfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nfactor

[QUOTE="Nfactor"]:|

Firefly_182

I don't trust your opinion. I don't think anyone is sad enough to make up an interview that long, and make it look so professional.

I've seen some prelimenary technology on the Revo's graphics hardware. It'll be a nice system graphically. But with no HD support (High Definition resolution) and small form factor, there going more for a affordable CPU and GPU core, with nice performance that people can pick up and play. Nothing to flashy graphically, but nothing were people will just look at has another Gamecube-esque graphics chip in a new slimmer box. Revo is all about cost saving.

Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rev_Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I like the Revo controller, but it's not gonna be able to measure up graphically to the 360but I am speculating and none of this is confirmed but just me kissing sony's virtal as$crack and being an ATTENTION WHOR-E AND DRAMA KING,but...eh.... never minding the PS3. I'm sure it'll be more about the experience then the graphics with the system. But that Gamespy interview seems a little fishy.

-Jaded_Sphere-
How do you know that? ..-__-...

get off sony's coc-k please.
Firefly_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Firefly_182
[QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Nfactor

I've seen some prelimenary technology on the Revo's graphics hardware. It'll be a nice system graphically. But with no HD support (High Definition resolution) and small form factor, there going more for a affordable CPU and GPU core, with nice performance that people can pick up and play. Nothing to flashy graphically, but nothing were people will just look at has another Gamecube-esque graphics chip in a new slimmer box. Revo is all about cost saving.

Blah blah blah, I've done this, I've seen that. It's all rubbish unless you can provide evidence.

Additionally, considering how pretty much the entire gaming press knows NOTHING about the Revo graphics, and developers and such are under oath to keep schtum, I hardly think some schmuck like you on a forum will know anything about it.

Rev_Supporter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Rev_Supporter
[QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Nfactor

whats nintendos definition of affordable?

They said GC was affordable and it was $200...seeing how this is next gen at the most it would be $250.
Nfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nfactor
Dude, get off the high horse act, I'm trying to be has civil with has I can. IBM is making a PowerPc variant for the Revo, also they're making a nice Broadband Communications chip for the console so it have a decent wireless enviroment for you to use your GBA SP WiFi adaptor and DS online network. Has for the GPU, ATI's is going to squeeze a nice R520 part in there. The only question that was left floating around has far has developers were concerned was the amount of Ram the console will have. ATI mentioned they want to put HyperCache Memory in there, but weather or not that means 256 or 512Mb GDDR3 in the console, that's left to be seen. Like I said, the system is a small form factor graphics hardware. They have to get that R500 varient in there at 65nm with enough heat dissipation and have room to put those fans and a bank of 256Mbps modules for graphics rendering.

Nintendo should show more of there graphics hardware at GDC in March. But it'll be a little less complicated then the multiple hardware threads on 360 and PS3.

Nfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Nfactor
[QUOTE="Nfactor"][QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Rev_Supporter

whats nintendos definition of affordable?

They said GC was affordable and it was $200...seeing how this is next gen at the most it would be $250.

Nintendo's base is 300 and under. I think they'll charge a little more because they'll offer users some special online content with the launch of there console.

Firefly_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Firefly_182

Well, the fact that you said you've seen some preliminary testing on Revo hardware has led me to not want to trust you at all. Also, doesn't the smaller process produce less heat, as in, one of the advantages over 90nm?

Nfactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nfactor

Well, the fact that you said you've seen some preliminary testing on Revo hardware has led me to not want to trust you at all. Also, doesn't the smaller process produce less heat, as in, one of the advantages over 90nm?

Firefly_182

It produces less heat, but the GPU isn;t the only thing that heats up on a circuit board. I figure if they get the 65nm chip in the Rev, there is a good chance it'll ship with 512Mb of Ram. I just hope the R500 part they do put in there has more pipelines then the R500, if so they'll throttle down the speed of the chip in favor of programmable shaders in the Revo. IBM will probably go with a dual core setup in Rev but with 4 actual hardware threads that don;t share cache like the 360 setup. Plus the PowerPC CPU might have the same 128 bit VMX units has the Cell PPE. Like I said we'll know more soon. But just remember, small form factor means compromise on silicon real estate for the chips in the system.

Firefly_182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Firefly_182
[QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Nfactor

It produces less heat, but the GPU isn;t the only thing that heats up on a circuit board. I figure if they get the 65nm chip in the Rev, there is a good chance it'll ship with 512Mb of Ram. I just hope the R500 part they do put in there has more pipelines then the R500, if so they'll throttle down the speed of the chip in favor of programmable shaders in the Revo. IBM will probably go with a dual core setup in Rev but with 4 actual hardware threads that don;t share cache like the 360 setup. Plus the PowerPC CPU might have the same 128 bit VMX units has the Cell PPE. Like I said we'll know more soon. But just remember, small form factor means compromise on silicon real estate for the chips in the system.

What you just said sounds more like it'll be more powerful than 360, therefore proving this whole thread correct.

Avatar image for Luigi_Vincetana
Luigi_Vincetana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Luigi_Vincetana
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
[QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Nfactor

Do you actually know the Rev will be like this or are you basing this off rumored specs? either way I'm personally expecting the revs hardware to be the weakest but still comparable (Kinda like how the PS2 is today).
AcidRonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AcidRonen
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts
[QUOTE="Firefly_182"]

Nfactor

the r500 is the 360 GPU

AcidRonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AcidRonen
Member since 2005 • 3621 Posts
[QUOTE="Xrules06"]

goodumz

i hope your not talking about Cube mapping