Reviews are in for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition! 9/10 GS | 89 on metacritic!

• 169 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 26417 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Damn, you didn't storm the facility to get the package?

Lemme tell ya... Purolator still aren't allowing in-house pickup. I popped out to the shops after waiting all day, and took my dogs out when I got back at around 3.30... Just as they're finishing up, he pulls in. Had to stash them in the entrance to my condo unit and run to him lol.

I played 90% of the game prior, but i'm excited to get into this. Then it might spur me to finish Xeno 2.

You should've given him the Stone Cold Stunner for delivering your package late!

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 55948 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: lol, dude was chill, but I was scrambling and sweating. Psyched to get back into the game tomorrow.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 SolidGame_basic

@lundy86_4 said:

@SolidGame_basic: lol, dude was chill, but I was scrambling and sweating. Psyched to get back into the game tomorrow.

Nice! Enjoy. I finished up Steins Gate and will put more time into it this weekend.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lundy86_4

@SolidGame_basic said:

Nice! Enjoy. I finished up Steins Gate and will put more time into it this weekend.

I have yet to get into Steins Gate and i've been meaning to do that forever? I heard it's nigh-on brilliant.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 SolidGame_basic

@lundy86_4 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I have yet to get into Steins Gate and i've been meaning to do that forever? I heard it's nigh-on brilliant.

There is two ways you can go about it.. you can get the visual novel, which has multiple endings depending on certain choices you make. There is only one true ending though. I wasn't aware of how the endings worked, and made the mistake of just saving over my file. I recommend you make saves for each chapter. The other option is to get the anime which is streamlined and you get the true ending. The visual novel will take you much longer. 95% of it is reading btw, there isn't really much gameplay to it. The first half of the story is very slow because it focuses on the details of time travel and all that. The second half is great, has all these twists and turns. If you get Steins Gate Elite, which is what I have, it uses cut scenes from the anime and adds additional stuff. Also, the visual novel is Japanese dub only. Anime has English and Japanese. So basically, if you want to enjoy the story and have a relaxing time, just watch the anime lol. The visual novel will give you additional details, but the story is the same.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#106  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5840 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: "There's a reason why Switch is on fire. It's an amazing system! "

But- but it's underpowered! And ports! And inferior versions of games! And- and- and Nintendo is for kids! And...!

Did I get them all? I agree with you, the Switch is the best gaming system to come around in years. I'm loving it.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#107  Edited By dzimm
Member since 2006 • 5840 Posts

@pyro1245: "Sounds like they had to make some visual compromises to make it run on the Switch."

LOL ... no. It was originally a Wii game. The visuals have actually been dramatically improved for the Switch.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 lundy86_4

@SolidGame_basic said:

There is two ways you can go about it.. you can get the visual novel, which has multiple endings depending on certain choices you make. There is only one true ending though. I wasn't aware of how the endings worked, and made the mistake of just saving over my file. I recommend you make saves for each chapter. The other option is to get the anime which is streamlined and you get the true ending. The visual novel will take you much longer. 95% of it is reading btw, there isn't really much gameplay to it. The first half of the story is very slow because it focuses on the details of time travel and all that. The second half is great, has all these twists and turns. If you get Steins Gate Elite, which is what I have, it uses cut scenes from the anime and adds additional stuff. Also, the visual novel is Japanese dub only. Anime has English and Japanese. So basically, if you want to enjoy the story and have a relaxing time, just watch the anime lol. The visual novel will give you additional details, but the story is the same.

I'll probably grab the VN at some point, depending on how my gaming goes in the next couple of weeks. Seems like the best way to go about it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By lundy86_4

Just left Colony 9 and am currently on the way to Colony 6. All-in-all, I like the upgraded visuals, but it can be blurry as hell... Kinda wish they at least managed to lock 720p when docked. Put in just over 4 hours today, and i'll pick it up again tomorrow.

Avatar image for pinkribbonscars
PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#110 PinkRibbonScars
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

Just left Colony 9 and am currently on the way to Colony 6. All-in-all, I like the upgraded visuals, but it can be blurry as hell... Kinda wish they at least managed to lock 720p when docked. Put in just over 4 hours today, and i'll pick it up again tomorrow.

You can lock the resolution to 720p by overclocking the GPU and RAM. I'm running it locked 720p in handheld mode and it looks amazing on the Switchs screen

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7198 Posts

The only turn based game that matters is Pokemon which peaked a long time ago.

The people that play turn based Japanese games dress up in cosplay and drop a dab of Vaseline on their palms over cartoon pron.

Being the definitive version of a turn based game is like being the fasted kid to reach the yellow bus in a race.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 6861 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Xenoblade isn't turn based.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 3399 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: You don't know the gameplay mechanics of Xenoblade Chronicles, as evidence shows.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 PinkRibbonScars

@fedor said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Xenoblade isn't turn based.

And even then, some of the best games this gen are turned base jRPGs. Can't tell if they're trolling or not though.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 briguyb13
Member since 2007 • 4033 Posts

backfire damage is over 9,000!

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 6861 Posts

@pinkribbonscars: True.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lundy86_4

@pinkribbonscars: Are you getting any heat issues?

Overall the game is great looking, and whilst i'm not 100% a fan of the newer character designs, good God are they better than the Wii versions.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By PinkRibbonScars

@lundy86_4 said:

@pinkribbonscars: Are you getting any heat issues?

Nope, runs at around 50c, which is like 5c over stock, but the fan runs at 100% so you have to play with over ear headphones because it sounds like a hair dryer lol. You also have to play with it plugged into USB / power outlet, otherwise the clock drops to 460mhz (from 768mhz) which can't keep a locked 720p.

Strange thing is, Xenoblade runs at 307mhz in default handheld mode. Not even 460mhz which its totally capable of, and which alot of other games do. Dunno why they set it to 307. So I have no idea if it even runs at 768mhz in default docked, hence the sub 720p res

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 SolidGame_basic

@lundy86_4 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I'll probably grab the VN at some point, depending on how my gaming goes in the next couple of weeks. Seems like the best way to go about it.

If you want the full experience, yea. I didn't play the previous versions, only Elite. I think if you want to experience all the game has to offer (all endings plus achieving true ending), you're looking at like 40 hours at least.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#120  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9245 Posts

It's a great game, but it's a 7 or 8 for me personally. The dynamic resolution regularly makes the game appear soft. It's disappointing because the Wii U was able to lock Xenoblade Chronicles X at 720p/30fps. I'd argue that game is much more ambitious and has nicer visuals. Minus those character models and NLA. Definitive Edition is smaller in scope and on a more powerful platform. I'd expect it to at least achieve the performance standard set on Wii U.

Also, that grass draw distance reminds me of Oblivion on the Xbox 360 where it's growing before your eyes. I don't remember X's grass distance being anywhere near as jarring when I played it earlier this year.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 lundy86_4

Xord was an absolute bitch. I was lvl 24, and he would just rail the party as soon as you get in the battle. I actually had to drop it to casual mode, just for that fight, but it made the boss way too easy.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 15812 Posts

The more i play of this the more i am seeing why XC2 was such a disappointment. It's a bit like comparing the hobbit (the book) to a badly realised version of the lord of the rings (the book).

XC1 is basically quite a simple and straightforward game (in terms of gameplay mechanics and the story). The characters motivations are clear. the overall arch of the story (so far...up to frontier village but i got further before 10 years ago and don't remember the story going off the rails) is pretty straight forward. They combat is not unnecessarily bloated and the amount of different systems in the game is just about right. Basically they didn't overthink it....its a simple tale of a group of people going on a genocidal rampage in an act of revenge by traipsing around quite an interesting world. yknow...the classic love story :P. Everything just mostly works together nicely (eh...i wont talk about colony 6. It looks like they haven't improved that for the switch version either which is a shame).

XC2 Monolithsoft really went mad. If they had 30% of an idea or 30% of a plot they seemed to just chuck it in.

The combat system has too much going on causing it to bog down. Up to its dying moments the game was still introducing new elements to the combat system. The combat can really drag on. They greatly improved on this in the torna expansion which is encouraging.

The merc timesink thing was a literal waste of time....but it was needed in order to remove the grind for the 100s of different blades you didnt use.....so you could unlock abilities to explore some more of the world....but those blade had to be in your party in order to activate those abilities but were useless one you had a few special blades. They fixed this in the torna expansion by basically fixing the list of blades (the cast of main characters) and removing the merc system. SOOO much better.

The story had way too many threads and too much going on that it also got bogged down. I can't works out why most of the characters are doing what they are doing (seriously...can anyone explain Jin for example? what was his deal?). There are too many main characters.

There are other plot points around conflict between different countries, horrible experiments on people and blades, issues with religion, the effect that power can have on people and about 50 other threads and the writers seem to just bounce off them with no coherency. By the end i think they knew they goofed up too as they were kinda laughing at themselves.

It's a real shame as the bits and pieces to make an absolute belter of a game are there. It could have been the best of the Xenoblades and one of the all time great JRPGs.

The torna expansion was much better and had it all setup nicely for the main game by the end. I don't know why that was the expansion to be honest.

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 briguyb13

@lundy86_4 said:

Xord was an absolute bitch. I was lvl 24, and he would just rail the party as soon as you get in the battle. I actually had to drop it to casual mode, just for that fight, but it made the boss way too easy.

That was the fight that always stopped me from getting further in the game. For the first time I'm seeing what's beyond that point. :P

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#124  Edited By YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9245 Posts

@osan0: XC2 really did feel like a cobbled mismatch of ideas sown together. I did manage to force myself to finish it and I never bothered with Torna. I was just done with the thing.

I didn't get who the game was supposed to be for. One minute I had blades bickering at each other like children in a heart to heart, and in the next a nopon's robot maid fetish is being shoved into my face. I mean....just...why?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By osan0

@YearoftheSnake5: Yeah :(. Terrible shame. It really could have been brilliant.

Story wise the bits are there for a really great one. But there is one scene in XC 2 where Brighid and Pyra are talking about keeping a diary and trying to remember who they were between awakenings and that's an interesting (and kinda sad) part of life in the world. And while discussing this....gratuitous shot of Pyras crotch. Why? i mean why...just ....why? And that just sums up XC2 and it's such a waste :(.

If you have the torna expansion already i would still recommend giving it a go. They do fix/improve on a lot of problems with the original. It's a definite step in the right direction again. I thought the base game was too long but, at around 18 hours, i thought the expansion was too short.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 lundy86_4

@briguyb13: I got past him originally, but I dunno how lol. He just screwed me so fast. Where are you up to?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 osan0

Oh yeah..on a different note. does everyone just use Shulk, Reyn and Sharla as their team or just me?

Except for one fight, i just find that the whole healer (Sharla), Tank (Reyn) and damage/debuff (Shulk) to be the most efficient at getting the job done.

No Sharla and healing becomes very limited. No Shulk and mechon become a problem. No Reyn to draw arrgo and a lot of Shulks abilities are diminished.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By lundy86_4

@osan0: Same. I want to switch them out a bit, but Reyn is a good tank and Sharla is the only decent healer.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@osan0 said:

The more i play of this the more i am seeing why XC2 was such a disappointment. It's a bit like comparing the hobbit (the book) to a badly realised version of the lord of the rings (the book).

You mean you don't like petite anime girls with disproportionately huge boobs?

briguyb13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By briguyb13

@lundy86_4 said:

@briguyb13: I got past him originally, but I dunno how lol. He just screwed me so fast. Where are you up to?

The trials to get in to the land of the High Entia. Even in casual mode I've found a few battles to be difficult. lol

I guess it's this mmo style battle system that I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around. Not sure why though, as I never had any difficulties with Xenoblade 2's battle system.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 lundy86_4

@briguyb13 said:

The trials to get in to the land of the High Entia. Even in casual mode I've found a few battles to be difficult. lol

I guess it's this mmo style battle system that I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around. Not sure why though, as I never had any difficulties with Xenoblade 2's battle system.

You're just behind me. Just up to Makna Forest which is the next main area.

Yeah, it really can be tricky. I'll knock down to casual if a battle is overly annoying. Make sure to buy the books that allow you to continue improving your arts if you haven't already. It is very MMO-based, and relies heavily on location around the enemy, which can be frustrating. I can't remember if the original brought up an exclamation mark on the skill that's best used depending on if you're at the side or behind, but it definitely helps.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 osan0

@SolidGame_basic: Sadly that was not the worst problem but a symptom of much worse problems in the game :(.

If it was just character designs that would make me...well...reluctant to play the game in portable mode on public transport then i could live with it if the rest was great.

But yeah really that's just scratching the surface when it comes to problems with XC2.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 osan0

@lundy86_4: Yeah. it's a bit of a puzzle. I think taking Shulk out and replacing them with Dunban would be workable too if you know you wont be facing mechon.

I won't mention other characters for fear of spoilers. There are some other combos which could be interesting though. But its hard to get off the ol reliable team :P.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By lundy86_4

@osan0: That's a common interpretation i've seen when looking into party members. Basically, Shulk and Dunban are interchangeable (outside of Mechon fights,) but Reyn and Sharla are pretty much mainstays.

I played through the original until the Capital, IIRC, so I know all the playable characters. I think Melia is a workable healer, but better with Ether attacks and buffs/debuffs, as opposed to Sharla who is an excellent healer.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5023 Posts

One of the best games ever.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#136 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13382 Posts

I just started it. I already love the improved faces.

The music is still amazing.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 20086 Posts

I'm curious to try this, but it just looks too big and grindy for me.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 1636 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

Its a solo mmo, so it is maximum grind.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 hrt_rulz01

@hardwenzen said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'll pass then.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 osan0

@hrt_rulz01: It's certainly big but it's not too grindy at all. I hate grind in games (really struggled with games like Everquest for example) but you dont need to do it too much.

My approach is to just push on with the main quest until i hit a wall (which isnt often) then go back and do side quests when i do hit a wall. The side quests are not great in general. pretty much fetch quest filler. the kind of mindless stuff someone may want to do if they are tired.

There is also a casual mode which takes out any grind completely from the game. You can turn that on and off at will. I have used it for a couple of fights (my official reason is because the fights are BS :P).

It definitely is large though.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 hrt_rulz01

@osan0 said:

@hrt_rulz01: It's certainly big but it's not too grindy at all. I hate grind in games (really struggled with games like Everquest for example) but you dont need to do it too much.

My approach is to just push on with the main quest until i hit a wall (which isnt often) then go back and do side quests when i do hit a wall. The side quests are not great in general. pretty much fetch quest filler. the kind of mindless stuff someone may want to do if they are tired.

There is also a casual mode which takes out any grind completely from the game. You can turn that on and off at will. I have used it for a couple of fights (my official reason is because the fights are BS :P).

It definitely is large though.

Thanks for the info.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6339 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'll pass then.

You can set the game to casual mode and you won't have to grind. It will make the game easy but you won't have to worry about your level and just enjoy the story. There's also a bug very early in the game that would put you at level 50 and you will be overpowered and could breeze through the game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 1636 Posts

@p3anut said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'll pass then.

You can set the game to casual mode and you won't have to grind. It will make the game easy but you won't have to worry about your level and just enjoy the story. There's also a bug very early in the game that would put you at level 50 and you will be overpowered and could breeze through the game.

Since we're at it, why not "play" the game on Twitch or Youtube.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3309 Posts

@p3anut: I assume that bug still exists when updating the game to version 1.1.1.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6339 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

@p3anut: I assume that bug still exists when updating the game to version 1.1.1.

I believe it does still work.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 3309 Posts

Happy birthday for the Xenoblade series as in Japan (June 10th) today, it celebrated its tenth anniversary.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 SolidGame_basic

@onesiphorus said:

Happy birthday for the Xenoblade series as in Japan (June 10th) today, it celebrated its tenth anniversary.

Nice. Anyone play Xenogears? I wish they had continued that franchise.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 lundy86_4

Goddamn, i'm stuck on another boss... Lorithia on the Bionis' interior. Man, even worse than Xord, and that's saying something.

PinkRibbonScars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By PinkRibbonScars

It's been a while since I've played the orignal Wii version so I might just be misremembering, but I don't remember the atmosphere being this good. Dunno if it's the updated visuals or OST, but the scene on Prison Island is incredible in this version

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#150 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30619 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I played some of it on the PS1 back when it came out but I don’t think that I finished it. I have the digital version on my PS3 and have been meaning to finish it there.

I’m currently on Chapter 10 in Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition right now and am having an absolute fantastic time playing through this game again. So damn good.

Happy 10th Anniversary Xenoblade.