Reviews are in for Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition! 9/10 GS | 89 on metacritic!

• 169 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition-review-im-/1900-6417470/

THE GOOD
Deep, rewarding combat system accompanied by new difficulty options to customize the experience
A diverse, gorgeous world that still impresses 10 years later
Future Connected is an excellent addendum to the main story that showcases some of Monolith Soft's best designs
A fantastic soundtrack provides the backdrop to exploration and combat
THE BAD
Companion AI can be inconsistent at times, making it difficult to pull off specific combos
The Affinity Chart, while impressive, still feels overly complicated and bloate
Oh snap! Another Switch win! My special edition is coming in Friday 😎 What say you, SW? Will you be getting this game? Envious of others that don't get to play it? It's also rocking it on metacritic: https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/xenoblade-chronicles-definitive-edition
Digital Foundry
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

4.0 if on Xbox.

Fake news, fake reviews. When oh when will it end? :P

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38719 Posts

High score on a system with low standards. If it was on the ps4/x1/pc, it would be a 7/10 game nobody would care.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:

High score on a system with low standards. If it was on the ps4/x1/pc, it would be a 7/10 game nobody would care.

There's a reason why Switch is on fire. It's an amazing system!

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

Great score! Nah already played the original so I am skipping this, not worth the double purchase.

Glad they fixed some annoyance of the original. Too bad the affinity chart still an issue, its so stupid and bloated and I personally hated it in the original. After a while I just ignored the related sidequests in the chart.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

Congrats to the 12 people in the west who buy it!

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hardwenzen

@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its "on fire" because its a mobile system. Outside of being on the go, it offers nothing else but the worst possible multiplats of this generation.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

It's becoming difficult to watch Nintendo abuse the other console manufacturers with win after win.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

Looking forward to it. I have the original on the wii so initially i wasn't going to bother with this. But the first one is the only one i have not finished of the xenoblade games. I could start it again on the wii (i would really need to start it again) but sure i may as well start a new run on the switch instead. Also extra content and some QOL improvements are most welcome.

It's very very rare that i buy the same game twice but for X1 i will make an exception.

Sadly it looks like amazon will not get the game to me by Friday :(. All retail stores where i am are closed. I have an extra long weekend too. Ah well, no shortage of games to play in the meantime.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

@hardwenzen: ‘worst possible multiplats of this generation.‘

Which isn’t even that many because it’s power is so lacklustre.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

Got the game on Wii and 3DS and never finished it. I think I should pass on this.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10605 Posts

So much butthurt in this thread lol!!!!!

The switch is delivering on games. Only fanboy crybabies will whine about another great game being available for purchase.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Sweet. I have the original for the Wii but I’m definitely getting this game again for the Switch. Such a fantastic game that I’m really looking forward to playing through again plus some extra content as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Awesome. I should be done with FF7 OG by the time mine comes in the mail.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Excited to play this this again.

Sounds like the resolution might be worse than the original Wii version tho.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Sevenizz said:

Congrats to the 12 people in the west who buy it!

The game is going to be a real treat for the 12 people that buy it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@jaydan: Happy to be apart of such an exclusive and elite club.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

That handheld resolution is my main gripe. I play my Switch primarily in handheld and shifting between 378-540p in 2020 is really bad. Great game though, just not sure I'll pick it up anytime soon unless a patch comes out to fix the resolution.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#19 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Love Nintendo but I got to say this. Monolith Soft being owned by Nintendo is a small tragedy, they're hands down the most creative open world builders and what they managed to do with such limited hardware is mind-blowing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The Switch is like the anti-Xbox. The Switch has great console sales, amazing first party games and doesn’t focus on horse power or rely on a good 4K HDR television as a selling point. The Switch being successful proves that the mass consumer won’t care about both next gen consoles in the near future. So of course Lems and Cows are gonna damage control it’s existence.

Portability > horsepower

And if it’s horsepower you really care about, there is a much better place to get it. PC

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

High score on a system with low standards.

LOL, written by someone who yammers on about XBox all the time...

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pyro1245
@goldenelementxl said:

The Switch is like the anti-Xbox. The Switch has great console sales, amazing first party games and doesn’t focus on horse power or rely on a good 4K HDR television as a selling point. The Switch being successful proves that the mass consumer won’t care about both next gen consoles in the near future. So of course Lems and Cows are gonna damage control it’s existence.

Portability > horsepower

And if it’s horsepower you really care about, there is a much better place to get it. PC

Yeah it would be great if we had a choice of platform for this one. Sounds like they had to make some visual compromises to make it run on the Switch.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

Its "on fire" because its a mobile system. Outside of being on the go, it offers nothing else but the worst possible multiplats of this generation.

If people want mobile, they can play on their phones or tablets. Switch is the real deal!

@lundy86_4 said:

Awesome. I should be done with FF7 OG by the time mine comes in the mail.

Damn, you're just tearing through JRPGs. I give you kudos lol.

@pyro1245 said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Portability > horsepower

Yeah it would be great if we had a choice of platform for this one. Sounds like they had to make some visual compromises to make it run on the Switch.

True, there are certain games like this one, or Bayonetta 2, where having better hardware would've been great. But in the end, Cows/Lems/Herms got rekt on this one!

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Wahhhhhhh

DigitalNoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DigitalNoodle
Member since 2003 • 323 Posts

Cannot wait to play this tomorrow.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

@phbz: debatable imho. I don't think monolithsoft could make something like xenoblade if they had to make it to PS4/X1/PC AAA production value levels. it would just cost too much money. one of the upsides on the switch is it costs less to make games for it which allows nintendo to be riskier. Trying to do full voice overs for every character and full mo cap for all the cutscenes and even in game animations would make development costs prohibitive for example.

Just looking at monolithsofts history: things were looking pretty grim before nintendo took over.

in saying that: yes even having the switch assets but just running it at a higher res and framerate would be a nice option.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hardwenzen

@xantufrog said:
@hardwenzen said:

High score on a system with low standards.

LOL, written by someone who yammers on about XBox all the time...

pfft, even the xbox offers better games, and it doesn't even have any exclusives.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

So many great JRPGs this year. Loving it!

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

I'd like to try this game but it looks way too encompassing.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

@Solaryellow: The game does a good job making you feel so small in the scheme of everything.

I think the game succeeds at the spacial world design because the game goes through many different and unique locations that are often beautiful with its scenery. Xenoblade Chronicles, in my opinion has one of the greatest music scores I've played in a video game, and music compliments the environments very well. There is also a night and day system and in this game night and day can dramatically change locations so it's worth exploring areas but also through the night and day system. There's also a modest warp system so you don't have to grind through large areas you've already traveled through unless you wanted to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#31 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@osan0: I'm just talking from a technical perspective, not business. I would love to see them working with less restrictions.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pyro1245

@SolidGame_basic: I'm hoping the best way to play this game isn't still the 30fps patch on PC......

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, usually I don't have the time for the longer JRPG's, so I usually give up partway through. As things are, i'm not working, so i'll go nuts doing nothing lol. TBH, it's a nice change of pace, and i've been enjoying them.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26086 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

Imagine thinking anyone would care about Horizon if the system its on had Zelda.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

It really is amazing that the game looks so ugly and dated and Nintendo are calling it a remaster. They are probably patting themselves on the back that they've finally crawled out of the 90s and might even be encroaching on 2000 territory.

Good job?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blueinheaven
@Willy105 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Imagine thinking anyone would care about Horizon if the system its on had Zelda.

They might prefer to play a game that was just as good but didn't look 20 years out of date. No wait scratch that, Horizon would look like dogshit on a Nintendo console because the hardware is literally just pathetic, barely enough to give Nintendo kiddies the slightest of upgrades on the Mario games they sold them five years earlier on their last console.

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

I would love to play this game if I could find a damn switch in stock anywhere!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SolidGame_basic

@pyro1245 said:

@SolidGame_basic: I'm hoping the best way to play this game isn't still the 30fps patch on PC......

It's a definitive edition of a Wii game, I hope so too lol

@lundy86_4 said:

@SolidGame_basic: Yeah, usually I don't have the time for the longer JRPG's, so I usually give up partway through. As things are, i'm not working, so i'll go nuts doing nothing lol. TBH, it's a nice change of pace, and i've been enjoying them.

yea, helps keep your mind off things. I've been "playing" Steins Gate, it's basically an anime in game form lol. But I'm looking forward to a deep RPG like Xenoblade.

@blueinheaven said:

It really is amazing that the game looks so ugly and dated and Nintendo are calling it a remaster. They are probably patting themselves on the back that they've finally crawled out of the 90s and might even be encroaching on 2000 territory.

Good job?

But is it a good game? The key question!

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SolidGame_basic

@pyro1245: actually this should help

Loading Video...

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blueinheaven

@SolidGame_basic said:
@pyro1245 said:

It's a definitive edition of a Wii game, I hope so too lol

@lundy86_4 said:

yea, helps keep your mind off things. I've been "playing" Steins Gate, it's basically an anime in game form lol. But I'm looking forward to a deep RPG like Xenoblade.

@blueinheaven said:

Good job?

It might be, but that really wasn't my point. It would be nice to see a remaster on some vaguely decent hardware, never going to happen with such a backward thinking company and a legion of menchildren to defend their every anti consumer move.

It is what it is I suppose.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#41 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@pyro1245 said:

There is a 60fps and HD texture pack on PC... just saying. Play that and watch the melia part on youtube. Not missing much other than the combat which if u know xenoblade, way too long to kill anything.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hardwenzen

@Willy105 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Horizon is garbage. Don't expect me to defend that game.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hardwenzen

Xenoblade reminds me of an mmo. An mmo that is 15 years old, everyone left the game ages ago and you're the only one left on the servers. This gets a 9/10 btw ✔✔✔🤢

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic

@blueinheaven said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@blueinheaven said:

It really is amazing that the game looks so ugly and dated and Nintendo are calling it a remaster. They are probably patting themselves n the back that they've finally crawled out of the 90s and might even be encroaching on 2000 territory.

Good job?

It might be, but that really wasn't my point. It would be nice to see a remaster on some vaguely decent hardware, never going to happen with such a backward thinking company and a legion of menchildren to defend their every anti consumer move.

It is what it is I suppose.

I mean, I'll reserve my judgement for when the game comes, but in general, yea, I mean, it would be nice to have every game come out in tip top shape. Nintendo doesn't seem stuck in their ways like they used to. The Switch is a pretty neat piece of tech, don't you think? Many of their games don't require really high specs, but they're still really enjoyable nonetheless. As for calling their fanbase man children, I'm not sure how a Nintendo man child is different from a PC man child, or PS4 man child, etc etc 😜

MakotoNiijima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MakotoNiijima
Member since 2020 • 121 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

I mean it would probably score higher than the switch version because it would have run 60FPS at a much higher res

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen

@makotoniijima said:
@hardwenzen said:

I mean it would probably score higher than the switch version because it would have run 60FPS at a much higher res

Wouldn't have made any difference. Its not like gaming journalists can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

Saw the performance and visuals. Disgusting. If I wanna play this, I'll emulate.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

That's why it was super popular when everyone was stuck inside, right? Cuz it's a mobile system they can take outside on the go?

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@jaydan said:

@Solaryellow: The game does a good job making you feel so small in the scheme of everything.

With all I'm playing IDK if I have the space for another BOTW-length game because from what I read this game has a lot of content.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hardwenzen

@dotWithShoes said:
@hardwenzen said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@hardwenzen said:

That's why it was super popular when everyone was stuck inside, right? Cuz it's a mobile system they can take outside on the go?

You telling me a phone isn't permanently in almost everyone's hand just because they're home?