Revengeance Demo sh1tting on Ninja Theory left, right, and center.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.
#152 Posted by Sushiglutton (6801 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.

That ninja run Raide does was super cool for one :D!
#153 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

I finally played it and it was awesome :D! The kind of silly (in a good way) cutscenes you would expect from Platinum and Kojima. Combat was great, but will take practice to get good at I feel (which also is a good thing). I struggled quite a bit with parrying. Also I wonder how many more moves there are? The demo was very scarce on tutorials and the control description said basically nothing.

A couple of negatives: the camera was annoyingly close in some situations making it very hard to parry correctly (I guess I have to get better at babysitting the camera though). Don't like the way tools were implemented. I prefer quickfire instead of aiming and shooting in the middle of combat (health should also be button tap, not having to pause and go through a menu). Also I wonder how you are supposed to avoid grenades enemies throw since you don't have a natural way to evade (or do u :) )? It may be me who missed these things, because like I said the tutorial was a bit unclear.

I think I know how to avoid all the boss' attacks but the one were he jumps around for a while before he slams his saw into you. It seemed to me like there was a ridiculously short window to parry that one (I succeeded a number of time though). Another thing in the boss design I question is that many of the parry moves pushed the boss back out of your reach. Is there a way to quickly attack forward (other than running) to follow thos parries up? Finally I'm no fan of wiggle the stick QTE.

Sushiglutton

Pressing Square and X accompanied by an analog movement will cause Raiden to dodge and slash in the same motion. If you press forward + X and Square you'll do a quick forward slash. I think Forward + Forward + Square does a forward dash as well. If you parry the boss though, you'll attack him immediaely and be able to get a combo in on his. When you do a regular block, that is when it sends him flying backwards out of reach.

I agree with your camera complaint though. I would often get hit from off screen by the gecko and was unable to parry/block their kicks unless they were directly in front of me.

#154 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.BrunoBRS

If you parry them oyu'll automatically do an attack afterwards that will normally go into a slo mo thing where you can do the Blade Time thing and kill them. Blocking just stops that attack. I redid the first fight several times against the 3 enemies to practice parrying block and can still not do it consistently.. I think it should be mapped to a different button. I'm not too fond of have dodge, block, parry, and attack all mapped to the same button.

#155 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.

i kept using it lol. and i just remembered, the camera was glitching up a lot during those "special attacks", like when the geckos grab raiden with those rope thingies.
#156 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.BPoole96

If you parry them oyu'll automatically do an attack afterwards that will normally go into a slo mo thing where you can do the Blade Time thing and kill them. Blocking just stops that attack. I redid the first fight several times against the 3 enemies to practice parrying block and can still not do it consistently.. I think it should be mapped to a different button. I'm not too fond of have dodge, block, parry, and attack all mapped to the same button.

i kind of like the way it's mapped, it's kinda like SF3 in a way, and prevents you from being overly defensive. i just wish it was better explained lol, i got two game overs on the second fight with the geckos because i just couldn't figure it out :P
#157 Posted by Sushiglutton (6801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

I finally played it and it was awesome :D! The kind of silly (in a good way) cutscenes you would expect from Platinum and Kojima. Combat was great, but will take practice to get good at I feel (which also is a good thing). I struggled quite a bit with parrying. Also I wonder how many more moves there are? The demo was very scarce on tutorials and the control description said basically nothing.

A couple of negatives: the camera was annoyingly close in some situations making it very hard to parry correctly (I guess I have to get better at babysitting the camera though). Don't like the way tools were implemented. I prefer quickfire instead of aiming and shooting in the middle of combat (health should also be button tap, not having to pause and go through a menu). Also I wonder how you are supposed to avoid grenades enemies throw since you don't have a natural way to evade (or do u :) )? It may be me who missed these things, because like I said the tutorial was a bit unclear.

I think I know how to avoid all the boss' attacks but the one were he jumps around for a while before he slams his saw into you. It seemed to me like there was a ridiculously short window to parry that one (I succeeded a number of time though). Another thing in the boss design I question is that many of the parry moves pushed the boss back out of your reach. Is there a way to quickly attack forward (other than running) to follow thos parries up? Finally I'm no fan of wiggle the stick QTE.

BPoole96

Pressing Square and X accompanied by an analog movement will cause Raiden to dodge and slash in the same motion. If you press forward + X and Square you'll do a quick forward slash. I think Forward + Forward + Square does a forward dash as well. If you parry the boss though, you'll attack him immediaely and be able to get a combo in on his. When you do a regular block, that is when it sends him flying backwards out of reach.

I agree with your camera complaint though. I would often get hit from off screen by the gecko and was unable to parry/block their kicks unless they were directly in front of me.

Thanks for the help! X+square, wasn't aware of that, will try it (and F+F+Square)! But what do you mean by "regular block". The only block I'm aware of is L-stick+Square correctly timed. Is there another one? For some moves (like when the boss gets orange and jumps towards you) that seems to send him flying backwards. But for some (like when he turns into a circular saw) he seems to stay in place. Or is my timing simply off?

Edit: Oh what am I supposed to do when a big Japanese symbol shows up to the right?

#158 Posted by Sushiglutton (6801 posts) -
[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.

i kept using it lol. and i just remembered, the camera was glitching up a lot during those "special attacks", like when the geckos grab raiden with those rope thingies.

Yeah those rope things got me too lol. I'm also very bad with my left hand, so I must use my right to wiggle. But that tok too much time, so I have to figure something out.
#159 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]so i finally played. holy crap. parrying took a while to understand, and i still don't get what it does beyond blocking, but the whole thing is soooo cooool.BrunoBRS

i kind of like the way it's mapped, it's kinda like SF3 in a way, and prevents you from being overly defensive. i just wish it was better explained lol, i got two game overs on the second fight with the geckos because i just couldn't figure it out :P

I honestly don't know how to go about fighting the Geckos effectively. I can kill the regular guys very easily and the boss isn't too difficult either. The Geckos give me the most problems :P

#160 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
I'm also very bad with my left hand, so I must use my right to wiggle.Sushiglutton
i could sig this, and you wouldn't be able to stop me. luckily for you, i'm not a fan of sigging quotes :P
#161 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"][QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

I honestly don't know how to go about fighting the Geckos effectively. I can kill the regular guys very easily and the boss isn't too difficult either. The Geckos give me the most problems :P

parry and attack away worked, since they get stunned for a long time. trying to slow-mo slash those ball thingies on their heads seemed to help too, but they keep moving around >.>
#162 Posted by bobbetybob (19370 posts) -

BPoole96

Slash the crap out of them, do some air kicks, and parry any time they do their leg swipe move. They only seem to do the crazy rope thing if you're distant. The only problem I had on them is I'd go to use the slicing and it would point me somewhere completely random.
#163 Posted by Sushiglutton (6801 posts) -

BPoole96

You can parry their attacks by L-stick+square towards them. You can also jump up in front of them, turn on blade mode and then chop away. I think when parts of them get blue it means you can cut them to pieces (I could be wrong though).
#164 Posted by BrunoBRS (74156 posts) -
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"] i kind of like the way it's mapped, it's kinda like SF3 in a way, and prevents you from being overly defensive. i just wish it was better explained lol, i got two game overs on the second fight with the geckos because i just couldn't figure it out :Pbobbetybob

Slash the crap out of them, do some air kicks, and parry any time they do their leg swipe move. They only seem to do the crazy rope thing if you're distant. The only problem I had on them is I'd go to use the slicing and it would point me somewhere completely random.

i don't think it's pointing you at random things as much as "i don't realize i'm still moving the left analog when i press L1" :P
#165 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

Sushiglutton

Thanks for the help! X+square, wasn't aware of that, will try it (and F+F+Square)! But what do you mean by "regular block". The only block I'm aware of is L-stick+Square correctly timed. Is there another one? For some moves (like when the boss gets orange and jumps towards you) that seems to send him flying backwards. But for some (like when he turns into a circular saw) he seems to stay in place. Or is my timing simply off?

Edit: Oh what am I supposed to do when a big Japanese symbol shows up to the right?

If you time the block perfectly, you'll do a parry. If you're too early, it will jsut be a regular block.

I think the japanese sign is that Zantatsu thing that comes up on your score screen after each fight. When that comes up you go into Blade Time and slash them up

#166 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

I prefer the trash Ninja Theory made. I hate the Metal Gear demo.

#167 Posted by Sushiglutton (6801 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

If you time the block perfectly, you'll do a parry. If you're too early, it will jsut be a regular block.

I think the japanese sign is that Zantatsu thing that comes up on your score screen after each fight. When that comes up you go into Blade Time and slash them up

Ah I see, I was so proud of how quickly I tapped parry after the red blink :lol:. Ok I need to think about timing for all moves then. This game is really, really precise with its timing it seems. For the Japanese symbol I tried all facebuttons, but will try blade mode next. Thanks again for the help!

#168 Posted by Epak_ (9529 posts) -

I don't know Metal Gear from Adam, but that was a good demo. I'm getting this.

Still, it didn't strike me as some paragon of technical action gaming...you can sorta mash through it. All you need to do is hold forward and attack, and that way you often parry even when you're not trying to. That's not to say it wasn't challenging for me, but if I was good at action games I would have probably found it very easy.

Cherokee_Jack

I agree. Should have read the instructions, finally got the parrying when fighting that dog. It kinda sucks there's no quick evade, felt really weird.

#169 Posted by Heil68 (57640 posts) -
I'll still buy it down the road when its under $20.
#170 Posted by Valiant_Rebel (4197 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Still, it didn't strike me as some paragon of technical action gaming...you can sorta mash through it. All you need to do is hold forward and attack, and that way you often parry even when you're not trying to. That's not to say it wasn't challenging for me, but if I was good at action games I would have probably found it very easy.

Epak_

I agree. Should have read the instructions, finally got the parrying when fighting that dog. It kinda sucks there's no quick evade, felt really weird.

Attack + Jump at the same time is quick evade.

#171 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -
I been kicking ass in the demo all day. S ranked that stupid dog. Platinum gonna be styIing in the next 365 days. Revengeance, Wonderful 101, and BAYONETTA TWO. *bows*
#172 Posted by CR00K (2654 posts) -
Am I the only Heavenly Sword fan in here? :(
#173 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Every time I hear stuff about this game I think of Metalocalypse. Such a sh**ty title. I mean revengeance? Really?

#174 Posted by Vatusus (7747 posts) -

Played the demo twice on the PS3. My points.

1. Liked the graphics and the framerate was surprisingly very smooth. PG definitely learnt from their mistakes with Bayonetta. I know Vanquish also run smooth on the PS3 but that was a different type of game.

2. Didnt liked the parry system. Very unintuitive.

3. The blade mode is also unintutitive. Having to cut with the analog is very weird and feels strange.

4. The demo was very easy (normal). Once you learn how to parry effectively the game turns to be very easy.

Overall it was still great fun. I'm definitely buying it when it comes down in price as I already bought DmC and I cant buy another game at full price so soon :(

#175 Posted by Vatusus (7747 posts) -

Am I the only Heavenly Sword fan in here? :(CR00K

Nope, you're not. HS is a great game. Haters gonna hate

#176 Posted by OneSanitarium (6951 posts) -

3. The blade mode is also unintutitive. Having to cut with the analog is very weird and feels strange.

Vatusus

You don't have to cut with the analog, pressing square or triangle both cut while in it, you just use the analog for more exact cutting. I also find the analog stick to feel alright with it after a short while of playing.

And what about the parry system?

#177 Posted by Vatusus (7747 posts) -

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

OneSanitarium

You don't have to cut with the analog, pressing square or triangle both cut while in it, you just use the analog for more exact cutting. I also find the analog stick to feel alright with it after a short while of playing.

Oh, didnt knew you could aslo cut with the square and triangle (I could have swore I tried it and it did nothing but I could be mistaken)

the parry just felt... weird. I would prefer a parry system with a button prompt rather than use a mix of the analog and square to do it. I also didnt liked that same system in Bayonetta with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa or w/e it is called

Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720
#178 Posted by 205212669269561485377169522720 (14458 posts) -

The controls suck. Graphics looks better than before.

Overall, meh. I'd rather get DmC and I don't even want it. Guess trusty ol' God of War it is at discounted price.

#179 Posted by BPoole96 (22817 posts) -

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="Vatusus"]

Vatusus

Oh, didnt knew you could aslo cut with the square and triangle (I could have swore I tried it and it did nothing but I could be mistaken)

the parry just felt... weird. I would prefer a parry system with a button prompt rather than use a mix of the analog and square to do it. I also didnt liked that same system in Bayonetta with the Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa or w/e it is called

I liked that system in Bayo better than MGR's since I felt I could do it much more consistently. This parry system only seems to work when it feels like it.

#180 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -
I got no beef with the parry. The game is abundantly clear with when you have your opening to use it, and the motion is a natural attacking movement. Admittedly yes I would prefer a block button instead, but that's not what they went with. The demo at the least is balanced with the parry in mind, and it's effective enough that once you have the timing down the combo options become far more apparent. At this point the only gripe I have with the demo is how it is in fact poor in conveying your gameplay options to you.
#181 Posted by LegendofNerd (2140 posts) -

I'll be honest here. I walked away from the Revengeance demo more impressed than I did from the entirety of DmC. No joke.

#182 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

OneSanitarium

But to hit the target so you can rip out the spine thing, you generally need the analog stick, I found. Which made it frustrating when I was low on health.

I know they drop a health item anyway, but that takes longer.

#183 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

Cherokee_Jack

But to hit the target so you can rip out the spine thing, you generally need the analog stick, I found. Which made it frustrating when I was low on health.

It's not that difficult though. You got enough time in slow mo, and it's one or two quick cuts to create an opening.
#185 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

jg4xchamp

It's not that difficult though. You got enough time in slow mo, and it's one or two quick cuts to create an opening.

I just couldn't get a handle on flicking the stick or whatever you do to initiate the cut once you've lined it up. I wish I could hit a button to make the cut.
#186 Posted by Neon_Noir (1466 posts) -

The most impressive thing is that Rising manages to feature an even more annoying and unlikeable main character than either old or new DMC.

#187 Posted by OneSanitarium (6951 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Cherokee_Jack

I just couldn't get a handle on flicking the stick or whatever you do to initiate the cut once you've lined it up. I wish I could hit a button to make the cut.

Try lining up the horitontal aiming line and just pressing square. Square in blade mode always cuts almost perfectly horizontal.

#188 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Cherokee_Jack

Oh i just literally flick it. It's not always the best route, and yeah I guess it could be tighter, but overall I don't know blade mode isn't bugging me. The lack of a block bothers me more(or at the least a proper evade). The game feels good though, each hit feels satisfying, and its about as close as I'm getting to a NG styIe game anytime soon.
#189 Posted by OneSanitarium (6951 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"] It's not that difficult though. You got enough time in slow mo, and it's one or two quick cuts to create an opening. jg4xchamp

Oh i just literally flick it. It's not always the best route, and yeah I guess it could be tighter, but overall I don't know blade mode isn't bugging me. The lack of a block bothers me more(or at the least a proper evade). The game feels good though, each hit feels satisfying, and its about as close as I'm getting to a NG styIe game anytime soon.

Proper evade as in one thats fully invincible, or...?

The one in the game can only go left, right, or back, but it also has a slash on it and can evade a fair amount.

#190 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] I just couldn't get a handle on flicking the stick or whatever you do to initiate the cut once you've lined it up. I wish I could hit a button to make the cut.OneSanitarium

The one in the game can only go left, right, or back, but it also has a slash on it and can evade a fair amount.

the evade in the game I don't know...it's just not as sharp to me. It just feels slower and not nearly as important in close quarters as much as parrying is going to be, and again with parrying it comes down to your timing. I don't know not a fan of that decision, but the rest of the game feels fantastic so I'm gonna roll with it.
#191 Posted by OneSanitarium (6951 posts) -

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Oh i just literally flick it. It's not always the best route, and yeah I guess it could be tighter, but overall I don't know blade mode isn't bugging me. The lack of a block bothers me more(or at the least a proper evade). The game feels good though, each hit feels satisfying, and its about as close as I'm getting to a NG styIe game anytime soon. jg4xchamp

the evade in the game I don't know...it's just not as sharp to me. It just feels slower and not nearly as important in close quarters as much as parrying is going to be, and again with parrying it comes down to your timing. I don't know not a fan of that decision, but the rest of the game feels fantastic so I'm gonna roll with it.

I think that's intended. They want the dodge to be something you use early on against low level grunts, and as you improve you'll stick to parrying stuff.

#192 Posted by finalfantasy94 (27386 posts) -

[QUOTE="CR00K"]Am I the only Heavenly Sword fan in here? :(Vatusus

Nope, you're not. HS is a great game. Haters gonna hate

im a fan as well. Wish sony would do something with the ip.

#193 Posted by Ballroompirate (25824 posts) -

Loved DMC so I'm gonna say...

I'll love MGSRR as well

#194 Posted by Epak_ (9529 posts) -

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Valiant_Rebel

I guess I'll try it once more.

#195 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

[QUOTE="Valiant_Rebel"]

[QUOTE="Epak_"]

Epak_

I guess I'll try it once more.

Remember directional input. If you're good enough, you can even deflect missile with it.
#196 Posted by wehertn (1469 posts) -

honestly dont know how you can compare this trash to dmc the combat is awful and the controls are so unintuitive

#197 Posted by rjdofu (9171 posts) -

honestly dont know how you can compare this trash to dmc the combat is awful and the controls are so unintuitive

wehertn
Which dmc?
#198 Posted by jg4xchamp (61445 posts) -

wehertn
Assuming we're talking about the current DMC it's quite easy. This game has more going for it, and is instantly more satisfying as a hack n slash. Although I'd love to hear exactly what's unintuitive about the game, because outside of the game explaining things poorly(and maybe blade mode) you have to excessively stupid to really be struggling with the controls.
#199 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

[QUOTE="wehertn"]

jg4xchamp

Assuming we're talking about the current DMC it's quite easy. This game has more going for it, and is instantly more satisfying as a hack n slash. Although I'd love to hear exactly what's unintuitive about the game, because outside of the game explaining things poorly(and maybe blade mode) you have to excessively stupid to really be struggling with the controls.

33787199.jpg

But yeah I guess I should download it so I can love it and buy it at launch and never play it just like Bayonetta.

#200 Posted by AM-Gamer (8116 posts) -

Its on PSN and yes its awesome , but I really like DMC too so I cant complain. I do miss old Dante though.