Return of the Obra Dinn wins a 2018 GOTY award (0% marketing, PC exclusive)

• 60 results
OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

1. Return of the Obra Dinn

2. Marvel's Spider-Man

3. God of War

https://mashable.com/article/2018-best-video-games-of-the-year/#VsRpCI.uUmq0

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Inb4 cows claiming that website doesn't count or it's not a high profile AAA game

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts
@MonsieurX said:

Inb4 cows claiming that website doesn't count or it's not a high profile AAA game

InB4 Boners complaining that Forza isn't on the list.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Soon to be a real hit on Switch. Home of the Nindies.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

Return of the Obra Dinn, it's got some really cool visuals. I didn't realize it was Papers Please developer. The best thing about this developer is that he produces interesting works. Granted, I'm not a fan of the 1-bit color art style, looks decent, but it's the kind of game you really need to be in the right mood to play it.

Will add to my wishlist whenever Steam Winter sales starts.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

Meanwhile Dusk is sitting at 93 on OC (MC= 91).

Winner: Return of the Obra Dinn

Honorable mention: Hitman 2

Those are some solid picks.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

Well deserved.

The freshest game you'll play this year.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Too late. LOL

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts

Good for them. I've never heard of this website though lol.

Nice to see they recognized GOW and Spiderman as well.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Never heard of the site or the game.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Yeah I did not expect to like Return of the Obra Dinn as much as I did.

Who thought being a maritime insurance adjuster could be so thoroughly engrossing?

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts
@vfighter said:

Never heard of the site

It isn't Doritoes Pope, that's as much as you need to know.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VFighter

@zaryia: Ok...no idea what you're talking about but thanks, sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

It doesn't count!!!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It also won best art direction at the Game Awards

Glad to see this rad title recognized

@Bread_or_Decide: for real? I'd love to get it for Switch

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

I love when hermits name drop their hyped up titles because it gives us a chance to actually look up and see the kinds of games you PC guys are really trying to use to counter our consoles exclusives.

Drum roll....

Loading Video...

And what do we have here?

A walking simulator + visual novel, movie game with no gameplay ala David Cage!

Surprise surprise, I thought hermits said they hated walking simulators? Movie games? and citicize games for having no gameplay ala David Cage?

What happened Hermits?

Where are the same nitpicks you guys try to throw at Sony exclusives that actually have great gameplay?

Better yet, Let compare and contrast our 2018 console version of a game from the same genre that came out this year...

Loading Video...

Detroit Become Human wasn't even the running for GOTY this year because we simply have better games. If consoles didn't have Game of the Generation caliber games to choose from, we might have titles the level of Detroit Become Human and Return of the Obra Dinn nominated too!

You guys are sad.

Visual novel Return of the Obra Dinn is in there for a representative for PC Because it's probably the best thing PC has to offer this year and a "good" game so the staff thinks it deserves recognition by giving this award, but that speaks more to how lacking PC gaming is if NO gameplay Return of the Obra Dinn is it's best game.

This PC game's quality level is FAR BELOW B-tier console exclusive Detroit Become Human in virtually every aspect. Same genre and all, it's because the staff thinks a PC game deserves some recognition that it's there.

If Return of the Obra Dinn was a console game they wouldn't even have nominated it.

Reviewers, journalists and the industry simply have such a higher standards for console games! This thread only served to prove PC really is last place when it comes to having the best games.

BTW:

That website is a joke anyway.

Any Journalist who put's Spiderman over God of War for being a better game in 2018 has lost all credibility, sorry. Not sure why desperate hermits are trying to prop up such a pitiful website.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pedro

@MonsieurX: Exhibit A above. LOL

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

@tgob89: as long as its not an artsy ps4 exclusive it is acceptable. David Cage games back on his pc days were ok. David Cage f**kin with Sony and the way they elevate him is bad. Its SW most dont really like and will not play play Obra Dinn but if it prevents GOW from winning GOTY on any site it is a SW faction win. Return of Obra Dinn is a remarkable game though. Its just part of the SW game you yourself plays.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator

@tgob89: what? So now the fact that sites like IGN, which you chose to cite, scored this game more highly than Detroit means Detroit is actually better because scores are biased in favor of PC?

You've gone the full mile now: PC has no exclusives (it does), none of them are AAA (there are), the exclusives that exist (AAA or otherwise) don't count because they are genres only people who like those genres like (AKA the people who buy the platform and those games but not you), and now PC games can literally never be better than console games because even when they score higher the scores don't count.

My mind is blown. You've officially set up an airtight custom rule set to prevent anyone from ever scoring a point if it's not for Playstation. Welp, SW is over guys. Might as well just shut the place down.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tgob89

@xantufrog said:

@tgob89: what? So now the fact that sites like IGN, which you chose to cite, scored this game more highly than Detroit means Detroit is actually better because scores are biased in favor of PC?

You've gone the full mile now: PC has no exclusives (it does), none of them are AAA (there are), the exclusives that exist (AAA or otherwise) don't count because they are genres only people who like those genres like (AKA the people who buy the platform and those games but not you), and the PC games can literally never be better than console games because even when they score higher the scores don't count now.

My mind is blown

I didn't say all of what you said, but I will clarify that I'm not saying there is bias for PC, rather everyone has higher standards for console games...websites, journalist, everyone and even fanboys who claim to hate consoles.

You're trying to argue for hypocritical hermits but it's not going to work when they've criticized games like games like Detroit Become Human for being a walking simulator, no gameplay, movie games, when on CONSOLE!

If I have to do a dive into older threads to prove my point I will, it's a fact and I think you know that.

Now, because a PC game is doing it...IT'S OKAY, even GREAT!?

LMAO, see that's my point.

Standards are magically higher when it comes to consoles.

Doesn't matter if Return of the Obra Dinn is a slightly higher rated game or not, people criticized Detroit on the basic elements of it's make up....the SAME elements that comprise Return of the Obra Dinn.

Sorry, you can't bail the hypocrites out this time.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 xantufrog  Moderator

@tgob89: well, I don't really want to bail out the hypocrites you are noting. Apologies if I mixed your posts up with someone. I'm really posting from my own perspective and not trying to justify anything for the "movie game" trashtalkers - for example, I love love love games like Myst and Obra Dinn; I haven't tried Detroit yet but it's on my list too. I've never played any of his games, so I'm not sure what to expect, but the setting at least looks rad to me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Never heard of it, therefore it can't be that good.

It's probably not a movie game either, can't be GOTY without lots of money behind it or some progressive element.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tgob89

@xantufrog said:

@tgob89: well, I don't really want to bail out the hypocrites you are noting. Apologies if I mixed your posts up with someone. I'm really posting from my own perspective and not trying to justify anything for the "movie game" trashtalkers - for example, I love love love games like Myst and Obra Dinn; I haven't tried Detroit yet but it's on my list too. I've never played any of his games, so I'm not sure what to expect, but the setting at least looks rad to me.

You make it so hard to battle you :'(

I guess you really are a unicorn.

My sails are deflated. Obra Dinn probably is a really great game, I just wanted to take the piss out of some PC fans but you've killed my motivation.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zaryia
@tgob89 said:

I love when hermits name drop their hyped up titles

This wasn't hyped.

@tgob89 said:

because we simply have better games.

PC is first place this gen, with ~100 more high scoring games vs PS4 at both GS and MC.

PS4 is worse than PC, objectively speaking. Worse library. Worse gfx. Worse performance. Worse online.

@tgob89 said:

Reviewers, journalists and the industry simply have such a higher standards for console games!

Then why do multiplats score lower on PC at MC? (Hint: Consoles have lower standards).

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zaryia
@tgob89 said:

I didn't say all of what you said, but I will clarify that I'm not saying there is bias for PC, rather everyone has higher standards for console games...websites, journalist, everyone and even fanboys who claim to hate consoles.

This is objectively false, and can be proven via MC multiplat (most games) scores and chief-editor quotes from GS. PC gets the most AAA games but they score lower on PC, on average. If most AAA games (and the significantly superior version of them) are getting lower scores on PC than on consoles, then this factually means PC has higher standards.

Perhaps better luck next gen, but PC obliterated PS4 this gen.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15902 Posts

Finally a PC exclusive.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I don't personally care about GOTY awards cos they're just fanboy fodder, but that doesn't even look like a game lol.

I however do have to play it, so I guess it might change my mind. First time I'm hearing about it, though.

EDIT: Holy crap, it's made by the guy who made Papers, Please, and is apparently better. Okay, I'm buying it now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@zaryia said:

PS4 is worse than PC, objectively speaking. Worse library. Worse gfx. Worse performance. Worse online.

You do know that is a factually incorrect statement right?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@MonsieurX said:

Why would anyone question a website that ranks a Destiny DLC higher than Red Dead 2? Such exquisite taste is unusual these days.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Teh graphix, teh art, teh gaemplay.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

In before tgob89 have a major meltdown and start spouting lies left and right... waiiiit to late:(

kenshiro3948

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kenshiro3948
Member since 2018 • 406 Posts
@Sushiglutton said:
@MonsieurX said:

Why would anyone question a website that ranks a Destiny DLC higher than Red Dead 2? Such exquisite taste is unusual these days.

They did? Their opinion is even more irrelevant to me now lol.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tgob89

@kenshiro3948 said:
@Sushiglutton said:
@MonsieurX said:

They did? Their opinion is even more irrelevant to me now lol.

They also had Spiderman over God of War which I pointed out in my original post and pointed out they have Zero credibility.

The entire list was a joke which is why you have a teltell visual novel movie game with no gameplay as their GOTY in 2018 when even console exclusive Detroit Become Human is a more impressive game in the same genre but wasn't nominated for any GOTY awards.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

@tgob89: ahh ok so only your opinion matters on these list or are everyone allowed to do this? If so I am pretty sure I could easily invalidate any list that had dad of war as number one....

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

You might want to caveat that a bit more because there are literally thousands of PC exclusives launched every year.

BlackBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BlackBalls
Member since 2018 • 1496 Posts

If we want to play that game I can also find a no-name site that gave GOTY to indie games on the Switch and PS4.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#37 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@oliversnyders:

Ontop of all this, it's a game with a strong narrative with plenty of walking around long distances. Which proves yet again, that gamers actually love story driven games with a strong narrative. AKA Walking Simulators. AKA Movie Games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15902 Posts

@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

You might want to caveat that a bit more because there are literally thousands of PC exclusives launched every year.

Oh sorry, finally a pc game worth a second look and.... Sorry whats the game again?

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

The awards only focus on that year with game releases. This is not how PC gaming works. Therefore the awards are useless. And limited towards console speace.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c203f71675ff
deactivated-5c203f71675ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5c203f71675ff
Member since 2018 • 231 Posts

@vfighter said:

Never heard of the site or the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

They rarely stay a PC exclusive for too long...

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

Oh sorry, finally a pc game worth a second look and.... Sorry whats the game again?

Depends on the games you like, I played several PC exclusives games this year that I have thoroughly enjoyed. If your lucky, some of them will find their way on to which ever platform you enjoy playing on.

@mariah_eater said:

Is that a bad thing? Everyone should be able to enjoy good games regardless of platform choice. It also make developers more money and developers with more money results in more good games for all of us.

Take Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 for example, the console release of both those games were a direct result of good sales from the PC launch. Another would The Witcher 1 and 2 if either had failed miserably on PC, then we would never had got The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 would not be something to look forward to. I could go listing games that started out as PC exclusives only to go on to bigger multi-platform experiences available to everyone.

You're welcome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:
@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

Depends on the games you like, I played several PC exclusives games this year that I have thoroughly enjoyed. If your lucky, some of them will find their way on to which ever platform you enjoy playing on.

@mariah_eater said:

Is that a bad thing? Everyone should be able to enjoy good games regardless of platform choice. It also make developers more money and developers with more money results in more good games for all of us.

Take Divinity Original Sin 1 & 2 for example, the console release of both those games were a direct result of good sales from the PC launch. Another would The Witcher 1 and 2 if either had failed miserably on PC, then we would never had got The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 would not be something to look forward to. I could go listing games that started out as PC exclusives only to go on to bigger multi-platform experiences available to everyone.

You're welcome.

Why are you so defensive is beyond me, I simply stated the truth: they don't stay exclusive for long. The fact that this truth bothers you is not my problem.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52423 Posts

I prefer 30FPS over that artstyle. Goddamn.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 VFighter

@GarGx1: And 99% are steam hot garbage that would have made E.T. on the 2600 blush.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

@vfighter: Yeah , I 2nd that this game is garbage just like Dead Cells and Hollow Knight , plus it's all about graphics not the gameplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5c203f71675ff

@vfighter said:

@GarGx1: And 99% are steam hot garbage that would have made E.T. on the 2600 blush.

That's so true. I can't browse steam without seeing shit. That place is terrible.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

Anyway, enough about the other shit and about the game itself. It's an interesting concept, having to reverse engineer these horrible fatalities. It's just the presentation doesn't look very inviting. More like homework instead of fun. Maybe it's different when you try it, but it does come off like a pretentious exercise made for the most esoteric of audiences. Mainly, fans of old sea tales that love listening to Gilbert and Sullivan.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Zaryia
@mariah_eater said:
@GarGx1 said:
@sakaixx said:
@GarGx1 said:

@mariah_eater said:

You're welcome.

Why are you so defensive is beyond me, I simply stated the truth: they don't stay exclusive for long. The fact that this truth bothers you is not my problem.

Games from most systems barely stay exclusive for long. Hell, XB Exclusives almost are all automatic releases on PC. Most PS4 ones are on PS NOW. Nintendo ones are easily emulated.

When we count total libraries, however, PC wins in a landslide for high scoring games.

@sakaixx said:

Finally a PC exclusive.

Ehh..Total War. Total Warhammer. Quake Champions. Homeworld. Hearthstone. Heroes of the Storm. Endless Space 2. Civilizations. Star Citizen/Squadron 42. Stelarris. Path of Exile Expansion. Pillars of Eternity 2.

It's lacking exclusives this gen no doubt (since there is no point in PC games to stay exclusive any longer, it's not competing with consoles), but it still gets them. On the flip side, consoles don't see PC as competition, so almost all of consoles exclusives come to PC more so thane ever before.

The result is the best library PC has ever had for a gen (statistically), by far, which IMO is a fine trade off for less exclusives than last gen. I couldn't care less about console players getting to play Overwatch or Witcher rather than having the absolute best library.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@tgob89 said:

And what do we have here?

A walking simulator + visual novel, movie game with no gameplay ala David Cage!

Kids these days call spiritual successor to Papers Please a movie game.

Jesus wept.