achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts

At this point in my life I prefer retro games. They're quick to get into and play really well in small bursts which is all I have time for lately.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Modern gaming. But pleased it don't actually have to choose,

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3129 Posts

I love me some retro games but they had their time. I'm happy with the games that I play these days and I'm also impressed as hell with the graphics, size, and scope of some games these days when you really think about how far they've come.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

That's way more complicated than a simple one or the other question can answer, especially for an old fart like me. So I need a cake option.

Modern games have lost so much but at the same time they have added so much more.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It's almost like you don't have to choose since you can play retro and modern games whenever you want.

This feels like a poll for those who believe gaming was so much better "back in the day" (hilariously incorrect), and think themselves better gamers for that opinion.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Retro. In general, I like short 2 hour gameplay oriented sessions over 50 + hours experiences. That doesn't mean I don't like modern games though, because this year in particular, I've been mostly playing them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

Both? Both. :)

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#8  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2948 Posts

I played more games back in the old days than now so let's go with retro.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

I do both Modern & Retro gaming myself. Ever since this gen started, I kinda been doing lots of retro gaming while waiting for that new game to be release for the most parts but yeah, I do lots of Retro gaming and also today's standard gaming all-together.

I still have my N64, Gamecube, PS2, and even my Dreamcast just for good old times sakes. (Go ahead and laugh but I still play Goldeneye N64 from time to time)

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

@Wasdie said:

It's almost like you don't have to choose since you can play retro and modern games whenever you want.

This feels like a poll for those who believe gaming was so much better "back in the day" (hilariously incorrect), and think themselves better gamers for that opinion.

Yes you can indeed. Of course there are many factors to take into account and it can't just be black or white.

But if you were to choose, which one would you "favor" overall?

I've been gaming since the C64 era and I have fond memories of it, but I've always dreamed about games evolving, getting more realistic or aesthetically pleasing since I was a kid; therefore my choice falls on technological advancement, hence modern gaming and the excitement "for what's next" that comes with it.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 aia89

@davillain- said:

I do both Modern & Retro gaming myself. Ever since this gen started, I kinda been doing lots of retro gaming while waiting for that new game to be release for the most parts but yeah, I do lots of Retro gaming and also today's standard gaming all-together.

I still have my N64, Gamecube, PS2, and even my Dreamcast just for good old times sakes. (Go ahead and laugh but I still play Goldeneye N64 from time to time)

No need to laugh, that's a hell of a great game.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

I play both modern and retro. I am playing Yakuza on PS2 right now so my choice is retro. After that though I'll be moving to skyrim and the wonderful 101 so my choice will be modern. so both.

nathanbats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By nathanbats
Member since 2016 • 1057 Posts

Both but if I were to choose one,it would be modern gaming

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58938 Posts

Tend to prefer retro, many modern games are more interested in production values. Or multiplayer riddled with microtransactions or unlocking a billion, billion things.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

I'm mostly playing modern games, since the devs I like make enough to keep me occupied. But I do get the urge quite often to play retro stuff as well.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Another point, how old does a game need to be to be considered Retro? 70's? 80's? 90's? 00's?

I'm guessing it depends entirely on each persons age and perspective.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17  Edited By Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@achilles614 said:

At this point in my life I prefer retro games. They're quick to get into and play really well in small bursts which is all I have time for lately.

I agree. When you have a full time job, and a family playing long and complicated games is tough. I find myself really only playing for 2 hours at a time, so retro games like shmups are easier to get into.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Both. Lot's of great new games out there, and you get the best variety of experiences across all "generations"

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

While I enjoy going back and replaying some classic games from time to time I definitely prefer playing new games so modern gaming for me.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Wasdie said:

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Games were better back then.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator

@GarGx1 said:

Another point, how old does a game need to be to be considered Retro? 70's? 80's? 90's? 00's?

I'm guessing it depends entirely on each persons age and perspective.

This is how I see it as an example:

• 2 console generations behind.
  • PS3-modern
  • PS2-old
  • PS1-retro

If it's ten years or more it's Retro, that's how I see it anyways, which would mean that yes, Halo: CE is Retro.

Or when a Publisher ceases to release games for a certain console/handheld, it is considered old, and when a new console steps in to replace the previous console, it is considered Retro, example PS1, Dreamcast, N64, Gameboy Advance, etc.

My first gaming console was SNES back in 1993 and now, I'm 32.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

Treehugger thread.

Retro makes you some master race.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Both, I loved the time when there were no consoles, playing games at the Arcade with my friends was probably one of the best times of my life, that's what makes me have a soft spot for retro games.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

I think retro has to be 16 bit era or prior.

I would NEVER consider Mario 64, or Banjo or Goldeneye to be retro.

And to answer the question Retro is better. The SNES is the greatest console of all time because of its pure emphasis on gameplay.

Most companies in general were better during the retro era, Nintendo, Square, Enix, Capcom, Konami were all at their peak in the late 80's and 90's.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Retro by far.

Todays gaming is all about movie games, hand holding & graphics.

Dreamcast was the last great console released, everything after has been average at best imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I prefer retro gaming. Some of the reasons that I don't like modern gaming as much as retro gaming are:

--Too many modern games are too long and padded with tedious filler just to make the games longer. I'll take a two hour retro game that is easy to pick-up-and-play and fun the entire way through over a 40 hour modern game that has many parts that feel like a chore to play through since the developers padded it with tedious filler just to increase the length.

--Too many modern games place too much emphasis on story even though 99% of video game stories suck. If I want a story, I'll get a better one from reading a book or watching a movie. When I play a game, I don't like my gameplay being interrupted too much for a crappy video game story.

--Too many modern games don't value local multiplayer anymore. Nintendo seems to be the only one that still cares about local multiplayer nowadays and that is disappointing. I appreciate online gaming, but you just can't beat a great local multiplayer experience with your friends sitting around the TV together.

--There is too much emphasis nowadays on trying to make games as realistic as possible and not enough on just providing the over-the-top arcadey fun that is common with retro games.

--Too many modern games are too easy. I like how challenging retro games were. There are many retro games that were aimed at kids that are way more challenging than modern games that are aimed at adults.

--I miss video game manuals! Games don't feel complete without them. Physical media for modern games in general is just nowhere as great as the physical media for retro games.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Both, but I'd probably choose modern over retro. If I played the "you're on an island and can only take 5 games with you" I'd likely take Minecraft, Breath of the Wild, and the Dark Souls trilogy which are all modern :)

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 aia89

@storm_of_swords said:

I prefer retro gaming. Some of the reasons that I don't like modern gaming as much as retro gaming are:

--Too many modern games are too long and padded with tedious filler just to make the games longer. I'll take a two hour retro game that is easy to pick-up-and-play and fun the entire way through over a 40 hour modern game that has many parts that feel like a chore to play through since the developers padded it with tedious filler just to increase the length.

--Too many modern games place too much emphasis on story even though 99% of video game stories suck. If I want a story, I'll get a better one from reading a book or watching a movie. When I play a game, I don't like my gameplay being interrupted too much for a crappy video game story.

--Too many modern games don't value local multiplayer anymore. Nintendo seems to be the only one that still cares about local multiplayer nowadays and that is disappointing. I appreciate online gaming, but you just can't beat a great local multiplayer experience with your friends sitting around the TV together.

--There is too much emphasis nowadays on trying to make games as realistic as possible and not enough on just providing the over-the-top arcadey fun that is common with retro games.

--Too many modern games are too easy. I like how challenging retro games were. There are many retro games that were aimed at kids that are way more challenging than modern games that are aimed at adults.

--I miss video game manuals! Games don't feel complete without them. Physical media for modern games in general is just nowhere as great as the physical media for retro games.

Good points. But I don't know about games being too easy. I'm getting gray hair trying to solve all the riddles on Arkham Knight.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

I like both equally, or close enough.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@undefined:

Since the vic20 games have gotten better and better for me.

I like the memories I have from back then but Modern all day long.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 aia89

@i_p_daily said:

Retro by far.

Dreamcast was the last great console released, everything after has been average at best imo.

What do you mean by hand holding? Too easy?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm more excited about StarCraft: Remastered than anything else released this console generation. That said, what's the definition of "retro" exactly? Plenty of modern games are being built like 2D games from the 1990's, but with modern technology behind them.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@foxhound_fox:"That said, what's the definition of "retro" exactly?"

NES-PS2 is retro.

360/PS3/PS4/Xone are modern.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

"Retro" as in NES? Meh. I'd rather play today's games, to be honest. However, if "retro" includes N64, GCN, and PS2 then I become undecided. I really think that was the best time for games, but there are still wonderful games coming out today like Breath of the Wild.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

There are modern interpretations of retro games which play like a retro game, but with modern graphics. So, I'll go with the modern era.

Flight sims now are so far ahead of flight sims then when it comes to options. I definitely prefer the modern ones.

The main reason I still play retro games is when there are no modern versions. Games such as Steel Panthers, Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far, etc.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@i_p_daily said:

Retro by far.

Sucks to be you!

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aia89

@davillain-: Probably he's into arcade games

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DaVillain  Moderator

@aia89: I also enjoy playing Arcade games on Dreamcast as well but Daily is missing out that came after Dreamcast and I been gaming since 1993.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

I'm playing more modern games right now, but I still love my retro games. Every now and then, I'll jump on my XBox 360 and play games like Deluxe Asteroid, Robotron & Capcom Arcade Classics. I was playing Guardian Heroes & Darkstalkers Resurrection a couple nights ago.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 foxhound_fox

@PSP107 said:

@foxhound_fox:"That said, what's the definition of "retro" exactly?"

NES-PS2 is retro.

360/PS3/PS4/Xone are modern.

My gaming prime was SNES to PS2, so I don't see how that's "retro". Retro to me is pre-NES.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#44  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Both.

Which is why, despiste the fact i have been gaming for 3 decades, i think we are living in the best gaming era now. We have both: huge, impressive looking AAA games, and indies bringing back classic genres (2d platformers, point and click adventures, top down shoot em ups, etc).

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 aia89

@blackace said:

I'm playing more modern games right now, but I still love my retro games. Every now and then, I'll jump on my XBox 360 and play games like Deluxe Asteroid, Robotron & Capcom Arcade Classics. I was playing Guardian Heroes & Darkstalkers Resurrection a couple nights ago.

Right, outright ignoring modern gaming is quite.. curious

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PSP107

@foxhound_fox:"My gaming prime was SNES to PS2, so I don't see how that's "retro". Retro to me is pre-NES."

The PS2 ended over 10 years ago.

Certainly SNES games are way better than PS3/PS4, but the games aren't modern.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 foxhound_fox

@PSP107 said:

@foxhound_fox:"My gaming prime was SNES to PS2, so I don't see how that's "retro". Retro to me is pre-NES."

The PS2 ended over 10 years ago.

Certainly SNES games are way better than PS3/PS4, but the games aren't modern.

I'd say the "modern" period started with the advent of 3D with the N64 and the PS. That was the biggest jump in technology gaming has seen so far in it's history.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PSP107

@foxhound_fox: "I'd say the "modern" period started with the advent of 3D with the N64 and the PS. That was the biggest jump in technology gaming has seen so far in it's history."

Yeah but I wouldn't put PS1 games in the same breath as PS3/PS4 games despite all being 3D.

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#49 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

I prefer modern games for the most part, but I have a handful of classic games i like from the early to late 90s that are rare high quality games that even modern games aren't even close to. I don't like new games that try to relive the old retro look though, i've tried a few of them and never liked them.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By aia89

The poll shows a perfect equilibrium, nice!