Retro games on Live, and VC WTF?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FreedomReign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FreedomReign
Member since 2006 • 1178 Posts

Every week, I get another rehashed, marvel of retro junk. I can get these games for free! On my PC, Xbox, PS3, PS2, Dreamcast, Mac, piece of string. Why would I pay for any of these?

Is anyone paying for these games, or are Nintendo and M$ only releasing this drivel, to 'expand' their library? Is their genuine 'fun' to be had here?

How you can give these games anything more than a 5 is beyond me. As great as they were 10 years ago, why am I paying for any of these games today?

I understand if theres a new multiplayer component, but in 90% of these releases, there is absolutely nothing new, and actually in some instances, there are features of the game missing.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Because its legal? And most people would agree with me that old games on the PC just don't feel right; as opposed to playing them on a console on a TV.
Bonez_Mahoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bonez_Mahoney
Member since 2006 • 1210 Posts
Personally i skip the majority of the arcade titles - i play the demos and that is normally quite satisfactory for me. However, there are exceptions in my opinion, for example SF2 (which was sadly disappointing but vintage nonetheless) and Doom. These games i no longer have, and they are kind of my roots in gaming - so there is a sentimental element to some of the titles, namely those 2 in particular and soon Double Dragon - adding the Live component is just a plau so i can kinda re-live my childhood with some buddies lol. Otherwise, i'd have to agree to some extent with your rant/claim/opinion. Many of these refurbed titles are lackluster and we seem more often than not to be getting quantity over quality.
sumarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 sumarr
Member since 2006 • 944 Posts
Because playing Ice Hockey and Bomberman 93 with friends is hilariously awesome???
Avatar image for mushroomscout89
mushroomscout89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 mushroomscout89
Member since 2004 • 6434 Posts
Because playing Ice Hockey and Bomberman 93 with friends is hilariously awesome???sumarr
Actually, yea. ^-^
Avatar image for slothboyadvance
slothboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 slothboyadvance
Member since 2003 • 12596 Posts
I bought Root Beer Tapper on XBL and it's the best version I've ever played.  It's convinient to buy games you may not be able to find in a pawn shop.
hamumu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hamumu
Member since 2005 • 1967 Posts
Because its legal? And most people would agree with me that old games on the PC just don't feel right; as opposed to playing them on a console on a TV.General_X

That is why you connect your PC to a TV and use a 360 controller. :wink:. Same as consoles.
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts
Actually I'm glad that they are releasing retro games. And you really should add the PSN to that list because they are offering retro games to. I can't wait for Paperboy to come out tommorow it was a fun game. I have more fun playing some of these retro games than modern games. Some of these games are hard to find and play leagally.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts
Well, I'm a sucker for achievement points for classic games for one things (Rootbeer Tapper, YES!), and the games on VC feel alot better with an awesome controller in my hands then on my PC, though I had/have most of them at one point. It's just better.
Conker-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Conker-Fan
Member since 2007 • 1239 Posts
the only retro game i played on my 360 was Ninja Gaiden 1, 2, and 3- but that was part of Ninja Gaiden (get all the scarabs)
Avatar image for TheCrimsonKoopa
TheCrimsonKoopa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheCrimsonKoopa
Member since 2006 • 2031 Posts
Blasphemy. Stupidity? Symphony of the Night and Street Fighter II are better then most new games.
Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
[QUOTE="General_X"]Because its legal? And most people would agree with me that old games on the PC just don't feel right; as opposed to playing them on a console on a TV.hamumu

That is why you connect your PC to a TV and use a 360 controller. :wink:. Same as consoles.

No, not really. For example, try playing Mario 64 on an emulator. You have to deal with configuring the buttons, and heaven help you if your emulator doesn't recognize the right analogue stick. And then you have to worry about the quality of the emulation, because what fun is a game if it's a buggy mess? Sure, you can do emulators, but if the morality issue isn't enough, then how about the practicality issue? I think a fully functioning version of Mario 64 is worth $10 for not having to deal with the pain and hassle of emulators.
General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
[QUOTE="General_X"]Because its legal? And most people would agree with me that old games on the PC just don't feel right; as opposed to playing them on a console on a TV.hamumu

I have a bad graphics card that can't do that :(
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
I just want Symphony of the Night on my X360 already! GRRRR.....:evil:
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Because its legal? And most people would agree with me that old games on the PC just don't feel right; as opposed to playing them on a console on a TV.General_X

Agreed 100%