Retailers hold supply to increase demand?...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bishop1310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bishop1310
Member since 2007 • 1274 Posts

I was at my local gamestop this afternoon and what appeared to be a mother of a child wanting an X1 for xmas was asking when they can expect to have some in the store. She said she was told she could put down a deposit on one to hold it when the next shipment came in.. She was clearly bullshitting and being a typical annoying customer who hasn't gotten her way.. (she started getting mad). Anyway she left the store and then the 3rd employee behind the counter asks whom I believe was the manager and trying to ask quietly "can we not sell the newest delivery?" He responded by saying "not for a few weeks we need those for the christmas rush" .....

Ya ya typical hearsay bullshit story but it's what I heard. I have an X1 so I didn't ask or say anything but why else do this other then try to create a demand for the product? The demand is through the roof with these things and yet they won't sell them if they have them sitting in their back room? This place hasn't had a single PS4 in since launch so why not try and sell the one console you're getting regular shipments for?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I guess retailers themselves are doing that for their own sake.

If it were M$ or Sony who wanted to purposely create shortages, they wouldnt have shipped so many to stores. M$ and Sony could hold them themselves or simply not make as many.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Hearsay? I'm just calling 100% bullshit.

kennyviper2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By kennyviper2
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I called GameStop on Friday Morning. The conversation went like this:

Me: Do you have any PS4's in stock?
Manager: No we currently do not. Check back at 11:30am.
Me: Okay, thanks.

11:15 rolls around, I call again

Me: Do you have any PS4's in stock?
Girl Employee: No we do not. However I can answer your question much better if you were here at the store.
Me: So you might have some PS4's?
Girl Employee: (noise in background, guy saying something to her quickly). No we do not. However if you were here I could
help you much better.

So I drove there. Come to find out they had some that they "released" at 11:30, and they were gone by the time I got there.

Unreal.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Yeah, They did it for Black Friday.

Most Employees had Confirmed already before Thanksgiving that they had plenty of Consoles in stock, but the Company wouldn't let them go on Sale till Black Friday.

and if an Employee at any of these stores sold one console before Black Friday they were fired.

I would not be surprised if these companies had "release waves" for these consoles.

Avatar image for full_disclosure
full_disclosure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By full_disclosure
Member since 2008 • 955 Posts

I just got the x1 this way. Thursday I went to best buy at 6 pm. Asked if they had any in and was told no but if I got in line for the door buster that they would have a limited number at 12. They hoarded like 150 for Black Friday releasing them in several hour increments through that day.