Resogun’s De Benetti: Games Aren’t Xbox One’s Priority,

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

"It’s not the official position of the company but just a personal opinion: if you look at it as a gamer, Xbox One is focused on America’s vision of the entertainment center with the TV and the like. It gives the impression is that gmes aren’t its highest priority.

On the other hand for the PS4 games come first, then there are other forms of entertainment. Because of how they’re promoting it, I think the PS4 looks more attractive when viewed by true core gamers, isn’t it?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/23/resoguns-de-benetti-games-arent-xbox-ones-priority-ps4-more-attractive-for-true-gamers/

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

Weird that the launch line-up on the One looks far superior. Still, TV, Sports, TV, Sports, TV, TV, TV, Sports.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@PSP107 said:

"It’s not the official position of the company but just a personal opinion: if you look at it as a gamer, Xbox One is focused on America’s vision of the entertainment center with the TV and the like. It gives the impression is that gmes aren’t its highest priority.

On the other hand for the PS4 games come first, then there are other forms of entertainment. Because of how they’re promoting it, I think the PS4 looks more attractive when viewed by true core gamers, isn’t it?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/23/resoguns-de-benetti-games-arent-xbox-ones-priority-ps4-more-attractive-for-true-gamers/

Honestly, I tink that is true. But, I wouldn't say "true gamer should get a PS4". I would say

"For $100 more, is it worth it to you to have a device that is more than a gaming console?"

I think the answer to that question will separate XB1 owners from PS4 owners.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I agree with him 100%. Microsoft is focused on diversifying the audience with the Xbox One. They don't just want gamers, hey want to appeal to people who would rather buy tablets or other electronic devices. They probably see the game console outlook to be bleak and thus feel like they need these additional features.

I have a different outlook. As long as the $200 tablets exist and stream services gain popularity over cable, the consoles could offer all of the fancy home entertainment features they want and people will still choose the $200 tablet over the console. Consoles are going to be for the gamers this generation, not the larger audiences. Microsoft's diversity is going to lessen the quality of the games that appear on the console. They've also put more features behind a pay wall and in general made the device more expensive.

Sony has it right this gen. They figure those multimedia features should exist but shouldn't be the focus. Gamers are going to be the ones buying consoles this next generation. Last gen they pretty much lost the entire casual audience to the Wii. Their idea of a "home entertainment console" didn't do well out of the gate. It wasn't until they put a re-emphasis on games and cut the price did the PS3 finally start getting the sales.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

It's true as far as advertising goes but is that a bad thing? Gaming is a lot bigger than just "core gamers" now and if you're asking people to spend 400-500 dollars on a console that appears to just play games that's not going to be as appealing to a lot of people.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Really?

Loading Video...

LOL

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

His argument might hold a little more weight if the PS4's game line up wasn't a wasteland of nothingness...

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts
@danabo said:

Weird that the launch line-up on the One looks far superior. Still, TV, Sports, TV, Sports, TV, TV, TV, Sports.

You gotta get those people to buy you console first, then you once again put majority of your first party studios to making kinect games. Story of 360. I wouldnt trust microsoft.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5859 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I agree with him 100%. Microsoft is focused on diversifying the audience with the Xbox One. They don't just want gamers, hey want to appeal to people who would rather buy tablets or other electronic devices. They probably see the game console outlook to be bleak and thus feel like they need these additional features.

I have a different outlook. As long as the $200 tablets exist and stream services gain popularity over cable, the consoles could offer all of the fancy home entertainment features they want and people will still choose the $200 tablet over the console. Consoles are going to be for the gamers this generation, not the larger audiences. Microsoft's diversity is going to lessen the quality of the games that appear on the console. They've also put more features behind a pay wall and in general made the device more expensive.

Sony has it right this gen. They figure those multimedia features should exist but shouldn't be the focus. Gamers are going to be the ones buying consoles this next generation. Last gen they pretty much lost the entire casual audience to the Wii. Their idea of a "home entertainment console" didn't do well out of the gate. It wasn't until they put a re-emphasis on games and cut the price did the PS3 finally start getting the sales.

They may have it right for the next few years. But you look at the quality of games coming on tablets it wont be long before they surpass PS4 and Xbox One. Both PS4 and Xbox One will need to diversify in the 2nd have their lifespan. Xbox One is doing it early and while it doesn't go down well with core gamers (me included to some extent) as long as the get a decent number of decent games all the extra's its providing make a great overall package. But this wont be appreciated for a few years to come.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By danabo

@Nohtnym said:
@danabo said:

You gotta get those people to buy you console first, then you once again put majority of your first party studios to making kinect games. Story of 360. I wouldnt trust microsoft.

The 360s exclusive line-up was superior for what? Three years+ and then there was the superior multi-plats throughout the entire lifespan. If I was judging by last gen, I would go with MS.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Not to me.

If Sonys idea of a console for the core gamer is one filled with indie crap, then no thanks. Maybe the majority of the core fanbase likes those 1 hour experiences, but I don't.

So far the XOne destroys the PS4 in games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

It's not exactly like Microsoft's made it a secret that TV, TV, sports, sports, US, sports, America, TV is a big focus. I'd say that and games are about as big priorities at this point. With that status being subject to change.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

His argument doesnt hold any weight. Everybody and their mother knows any console with the XBOX name is a games console MS dont need to sell that to people..its not a new concept. The difference being the X1 is a games console that incorporates all of your living room entertainment into one device THAT is the concept MS needs to sell to people.

Dude sounds like another elitist idiot with this core gamer nonsense. When the industry can define what a core gamer is maybe il buy in to the idea that the term actually means something. Until then to me it just means "vocal minority who think their opinion is more valid than someone elses because they play "a lot of video games". Screw that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

@bobbetybob said:

It's true as far as advertising goes but is that a bad thing? Gaming is a lot bigger than just "core gamers" now and if you're asking people to spend 400-500 dollars on a console that appears to just play games that's not going to be as appealing to a lot of people.

It's not hip to be square? That's cool. For me that makes it worth less though.

Christian Bale does a wicked Jim Carrey.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@danabo said:

Dat subjective opinion. I have a TV. I don't need to blow more money for the Xone to go with it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

@tdkmillsy said:

@Wasdie said:

They may have it right for the next few years. But you look at the quality of games coming on tablets it wont be long before they surpass PS4 and Xbox One. Both PS4 and Xbox One will need to diversify in the 2nd have their lifespan. Xbox One is doing it early and while it doesn't go down well with core gamers (me included to some extent) as long as the get a decent number of decent games all the extra's its providing make a great overall package. But this wont be appreciated for a few years to come.

As long as touchscreens don't have buttons, sticks or triggers, they'll never surpass consoles. Limited controls = limited games.
I blame Apple for their form > function designs. Changing songs on an ipod has become totally stupid and annoying. And needlessly dangerous, as you have to look at the thing when doing it. Ass. Give me my goddamn buttons.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

@McStrongfast said:

@tdkmillsy said:

@Wasdie said:

As long as touchscreens don't have buttons, sticks or triggers, they'll never surpass consoles. Limited controls = limited games.

I blame Apple for their form > function designs. Changing songs on an ipod has become totally stupid and annoying. And needlessly dangerous, as you have to look at the thing when doing it. Ass. Give me my goddamn buttons.

Indeed. I'd rather have a controller in my hands than a touch screen. Tablet/smart phone gaming is okay for casual entertainment.....but for gaming I will always want a console.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

I agree, games is always been sony's priority with playstation, the rest are just extra

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

Well the Xbox One has the best lineup of games right now so that claim is not hard to disprove.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Video games are so 2005. Its all about apps and services now.

:P

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By waltefmoney

@juarbles said:

@waltefmoney said:

Well the Xbox One has the best lineup of games right now so that claim is not hard to disprove.

First you would have to prove that your opinion equals fact. Good luck with that LOL

Even if it didnt the sheer quantity and quality of the games lineup still disproves his claim so whatever.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

He's not a god or anything. He's just stating his personal opinion like many of us do. Sony 's launch lineup is huge compared to the Xbone. I see more than big budget games on my radar. I also see games like resogun, rime, and outlast. All of these games look very interesting.

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

Oh man, that MS E3 was such a trainwreck, lol.

At least they somewhat recovered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@waltefmoney said:

oh cmon. they have MORE. thats about it. anyone who can look beyond release knows how this will ultimately end, its not rocket science or crystal ball material.

PS4 will outsell Xbox because EU/Asia ect prefer it and PS3 caught up despite 1 year behind. this time however its the fastest selling console straight away, cheaper, more powerful, more flexible for game support.

First parties, mmos, free2play games focus. purely gaming focused.

We all know how this will end.

Xbox will have better multimedia features and maybe some decent kinect games if we are really REALLY lucky.

MEanwhile PS4 will be fine for online and features but have more worthwhile exclusives and overall playerbase/support.

obvious, you dont need to have a crystal ball or be an analyst.

Greatness05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Greatness05
Member since 2005 • 1272 Posts

lmao The bottom line is people want the console that they have been playing. Every person I know that had a 360 is getting an X1. Everyone who is getting the PS4 already has the PS3. All of this Fanboyism is pointless. With that said, the X1 has a stronger line up in my opinion so that alone ruins the argument that dude is trying to make.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

there is the fact that X1 is crushing the PS4 with launch games and that cant be debated. Now do I think that whoever this guy is right I would say yes but as I don't really see anything wrong with that. I know a lot of people on this website feel like its all about games but its a big diverse world and I can understand if MS feels like they can deliver games as well as other forms of entertainment.

waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By waltefmoney

@MBirdy88 said:

@waltefmoney said:

oh cmon. they have MORE. thats about it. anyone who can look beyond release knows how this will ultimately end, its not rocket science or crystal ball material.

PS4 will outsell Xbox because EU/Asia ect prefer it and PS3 caught up despite 1 year behind. this time however its the fastest selling console straight away, cheaper, more powerful, more flexible for game support.

First parties, mmos, free2play games focus. purely gaming focused.

We all know how this will end.

Xbox will have better multimedia features and maybe some decent kinect games if we are really REALLY lucky.

MEanwhile PS4 will be fine for online and features but have more worthwhile exclusives and overall playerbase/support.

obvious, you dont need to have a crystal ball or be an analyst.

You can't predict this shit. Nobody predicted that Wii would sell the most last gen until it actually did. I find it ironic how the people who are saying that the we shouldn't judge video game consoles based on their launch lineup are the same people who are claiming the PS4 to be the winner already based on their projected launch performance.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

We've known that since MS dropped core in 2009 and it was reaffirmed with the abortion of a reveal the xbone 180 had.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By danabo

@waltefmoney said:

You can't predict this shit. Nobody predicted that Wii would sell the most last gen until it actually did. I find it ironic how the people who are saying that the we shouldn't judge video game consoles based on their launch lineup are the same people who are claiming the PS4 to be the winner already based on their projected launch performance.

I've said this before, but there's also the possibility that (after the relative failure of the Wii U) Nintendo will release a true next-gen contender in the next three-five years that makes the PS4 and Xbox One look more than sub-par.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

When I see Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct, and Ryse at launch compared to PS4's offerings... When I think of 2014 I see Quantum Break, Fable Legends, Halo 5, Titanfall, Project Spark, and Sunset Overdrive as confirmed... When we know for a fact that the Xbox One retail console is also a dev kit, greatly reducing the price of dev kits for indie devs... when I hear of the dedicated servers for all multiplayer games... When I see every bigname multiplat coming out for the system... When I see all of the exclusive game content secured for Xbox One gamers... Free servers for all game devs no matter how big or small... LMAO, his comments just hold no weight. shrugs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Couldn't of said it better myself. Karma added.

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@Wasdie said:

The One is just as much a games machine as the PS4, its only that it has more than one focus which is also the entertainment side. Games wise you can boast about better specs, but experiences sell consoles not the best graphics. Crysis sales clearly show that. There is no Tittanfall on a tablet, or Halo 5 on a smart phone. Both consoles are equal in terms of being games machines - Its only that the One was built to do more, while the PS4 was built for better graphics. To say that the One isn't a games console is downright silly. Its just capable of more.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I dun see a big deal with that, however in doing so they are enforcing many unnecessary features which drive the price up. Their premium service isn't that special anymore, they need to up what they offer to justify the price.

And their first party is subpar compared to Sony and Ninty, wow, they have a lot of work to do.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RR360DD

@Sagem28 said:

Oh man, that MS E3 was such a trainwreck, lol.

At least they somewhat recovered.

LOL no it wasn't, unless showing game after game is your idea of a trainwreck.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts

Microsoft is trying hard with games right now but we saw how they regressed once the Xbox 360 got a foothold of marketshare. Sony will continue to put games at the forefront and luckily they have the studios to do so. Most of Microsofts current exclusives are 3rd Party and will dry up especially with the PS4 selling better initially.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#39 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49567 Posts

Microsoft is aiming for more demographics. Even with that, their game lineup still managed to look better. Quite ironic.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@Wasdie said:

The One is just as much a games machine as the PS4, its only that it has more than one focus which is also the entertainment side. Games wise you can boast about better specs, but experiences sell consoles not the best graphics. Crysis sales clearly show that. There is no Tittanfall on a tablet, or Halo 5 on a smart phone. Both consoles are equal in terms of being games machines - Its only that the One was built to do more, while the PS4 was built for better graphics. To say that the One isn't a games console is downright silly. Its just capable of more.

As hardware they are equal but hardware doesn't define the direction the parent company goes. The console is trying to be a "one-size-fits-all" home entertainment machine. It's up against cheap tablets and smart TVs in that department and is not exactly cheap for what it offers. Microsoft will be spending as much time and effort trying to secure more media deals and enhancing compatibility with cable boxes and whatnot as they will with trying to make games.

As was very clear last generation, Microsoft doesn't focus well on the games. Once they got a few core franchise they continue to milk them all while attempting to monetize their device as much as possible. The advertisements on the home screen of the 360 despite being a XBL subscriber were all of the evidence I need to realize they aren't as worried about offering a great service as much as they were worried about profiting. The direction the Xbox One has taken is further evidence to support this. Everything about it is based upon monetize the system as much as possible. They put a lot of features behind a paywall and almost launched with a blatant monetization of used games. Only after a massive backlash did they decide to back off on the whole thing.

The One's price point, paywall, and Microsoft's direction as a company right now is all of the evidence I need to come to the conclusion that Microsoft is no longer focused on delivering a solid product and great service but rather trying to monetize as many markets as possible. That's not good for the dedicated gamers and I don't think they'll stand up against the other hardware that is doing almost everything the Xbox One is doing on the media side of things for cheaper.

I predict that consoles are going to only sell well with the dedicated gamers. Last generation the PS3/360/Wii came out in a time when HDTVs were taking off. There were no smart TVs, netflix, general streaming hardware, tablets, smart devices or any of that. The consoles were some of the first to offer a large variety of easy streaming and app support which made them very appealing to people who were investing into HDTVs. Now the market is far more diversified and more competitive than ever. Focusing on something other devices do for cheaper and more conveniently is not exactly going to win people over.

Focusing on gaming is all Sony and Microsoft should be doing. There is a large enough dedicated gaming market out there to support that. Media features should compliment the gaming, not take focus away. The Xbox One doesn't have clear direction and this is going to become far more apparent in the coming months as their 2 year outlook for games thins in favor of money-making schemes through apps and whatnot.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 RR360DD

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Microsoft is aiming for more demographics. Even with that, their game lineup still managed to look better. Quite ironic.

Yep.

They've invested double what Sony is in games (for the XOne and PS4), which is quite strange for a company whose priority is apparently not games.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@RR360DD said:

@Stevo_the_gamer said:

Yep.

They've invested double what Sony is in games (for the XOne and PS4), which is quite strange for a company whose priority is apparently not games.

No wonder the X360 exclusive line up has been lackluster for abt a yeaa, 2...3 ....4 years now !!!

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wasdie  Moderator

@RR360DD: Amount invested doesn't matter as much as quality of investments. From what I can tell Microsoft paid a **** ton for nothing. Their lineup is weak and their 2-3 year outlook is even weaker. Their lack of investment into F2P games, their insistence of putting everything behind a paywall, and them throwing money around to try to grab exclusives instead of rebuilt a 1st party that they can be proud of is hurting them.

I don't trust Microsoft. They'll bank on Halo and CoD again this generation.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

@Stevo_the_gamer
said:

That's what I was thinking.

Sony dropped the ball on their launch. I don't think I've ever seen a worse exclusive lineup.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

so a dev who made a PS exclusive game thinks the PS4 is better? no way? lol

If anything MS is more focused on gamers. bringing back KI (a fan favorite classic) for free, a next gen top of the line racer at 1080p and 60fps, and brand new amazing looking IP in ryse, and winner of every award at E3 almost titanfall. while Sony has gave a kids game in knack and a generic crap franchise killzone sequal.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@HaRmLeSS_RaGe said:

His argument might hold a little more weight if the PS4's game line up wasn't a wasteland of nothingness...

this. for a system thats supposedly focused on games there sure isnt a lot to get excited for right now.

YD_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 YD_11
Member since 2006 • 1867 Posts

I love the pay wall argument especially that ps4 now has one too. But I guess nobody plans on playing online multiplayer on ps4 as they keep bringing up xbl pay feature

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

It's pretty evident by their launch line-up. They're trying to go for a more service-oriented system. There's nothing wrong with that so long as you don't lose sight of where you began. Which, unfortunately, they have.

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

@danabo said:

Good thing consoles aren't judged by launch catalogs alone. Release a few games at launch to get you to buy their consoles, then abandon first party development. The Microsoft way.