Resistance 3 Appreciation Thread

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I'm not 100% on the mark with the comparison but hear me out.

You see, Devil May Cry 2 wasn't a good game. It lacked the depth of the other DMCs and what it did have, it ruined with an awful level of easiness, a poor story, and a too serious Dante that even Ninja Theory couldn't somehow topped.

Itsuno takes a big red and black poop
Itsuno takes a big red and black poop

Devil May Cry 2 was top level poop that Hideaki Itsuno dug further into the ground because somehow out of the same butthold came out Devil May Cry 3 that wasn't poop at all. Devil May Cry 3 was excellent. It's top tier greatness and somehow was directed by the same man.

How did this game happen after DMC2?
How did this game happen after DMC2?

Resistance 2, in this case its campaign, was gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbage. It took trash out to dates and made it look like a model. It inflicted Ebola. It was Hitler's right hand game.

But then, from the same studio, came the excellent Resistance 3. That Resistance 3 which has one of the best campaigns you will ever play in a FPS.

Gone are health packs, gone is grungy spongey lead Nathan Hale, gone is the two weapon limit that Halo introduced and then spread like diabetes in any area that's between Canada and Mexico. Resistance 3 was so good because of its pacing, its bosses, its cat and mouse combat, the way you're supposed to seek active methods of combat instead of lying behind chest high walls. The weapons were weird, satisfying, and varied. There was so much good stuff in Resistance 3, the mainsteam gamer couldn't handle it.

Instead we had games like Skyrim, Uncharted 3, and various others overshadow its many peaks. Resistance 3 sold the worst in its series because we all know Sony doesn't know how to campaign something good. It's a shame we can't get more games like Resistance 3 because Insomniac isn't doing FPS games right now and Half Life 3 will never be made.

Whatever console you game on, there's always a particular game that you should have in the back of your head as one of the finest FPS games of Gen 7. It's the DMC3 of its series, improving a billionfold after the nutsack that was Resistance 2.

Also it's like $5. Go buy it you fools.

Two Devil May Cry pics vs one Resistance 3 pic in the Resistance 3 Appreciation Thread. **** logic.
Two Devil May Cry pics vs one Resistance 3 pic in the Resistance 3 Appreciation Thread. **** logic.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

All 3 Resistance games sucked.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Blabadon

@Newhopes: No

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Resistance 3 was a gem.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

Who needs DMC now that we got Bayonetta? Also, who needs Resistance when there's so many other good quality shooters to play.

Also I had no interest in Resistance 3 as the first two were both horrible disappointments that cows and Sony apologist in "gaming journalism" refused to hold their feet to the fire over these pieces of shit and instead celebrated them. After contrasting my experience against the hype I determined it'd be ludicrous to give Resistance 3 my time and money.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blabadon

@lamprey263: Because Resistance 3 is one of the most fresh and engaging FPS games of its generation, and I bet it can go toe to toe with whatever FPS games you're talking about and then some.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Resistance 3 sucks. Sucks so bad, almost Mafia 2 level of awful.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Personally I liked R2 and R3. Not a big fan of the first game though.

Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

I'll give R1 leeway due to been a launch title, the other 2 however are genetic pieces of trash.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Shooters need to do a lot to catch my attention at the best of times. Maybe i'll get to it one day.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Blabadon

@darkspineslayer: Definitely the one worth getting. Check out Zero Punctuation on it

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

My Game of the Year 2011.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

I enjoyed all 3 campaigns

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#14 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Cool. How is this SW related?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blabadon

@cainetao11 said:

Not like this post bolsters any point you have going. Why post at all?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I loved R3, may be the closest thing to the awesome half life campain.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263

@Blabadon said:

@lamprey263: Because Resistance 3 is one of the most fresh and engaging FPS games of its generation, and I bet it can go toe to toe with whatever FPS games you're talking about and then some.

keep drinking the Kool Aid

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cainetao11

@Blabadon said:

@cainetao11 said:

Because in nine years nobody from Gamespot has told me I cant? It was a simple question. Why so defensive about it?

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blabadon

@lamprey263 said:

@Blabadon said:

Wait wait wait, help me out here.

Why did you post here? To basically say "I haven't played said game. Said game is ludicrous to give time and money to because $5 and a bunch of fellow gamers' recommendation is drinking Kool Aid?"

Congrats. You've now wasted my time. At least if you were planning on being useless, tell me lamprey. Just don't make another joke about stillborn children.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Blabadon

@cainetao11 said:

@Blabadon said:

@cainetao11 said:

Because in nine years nobody from Gamespot has told me I cant? It was a simple question. Why so defensive about it?

It's not defensive. Why post at all if it's a useless post that has zero to do with the OP?

I mean at least shit on the game hap-hazardly or something. There are countless trolls who'd put even a modicum more effort than you did there.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@Newhopes said:

All 3 Resistance games sucked.

R1 was eh...

R2 was good but lacking in some areas, great multiplayer tho.

R3 has awesome and campaign. My favortite game of 2011. Awsome game, good multiplayer but had no co-op multiplayer which sucks cuz R2 had great 8 player co-op. And the competative modes were decent and pretty fun, but I missed the chaos in the 30 vs 30 in R2.

R3 is on my top 5 best games of last gen.

R3 was great game that most people ignore idk why. Certainly the sleeper hit of the year.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lamprey263

@Blabadon said:

@lamprey263 said:

@Blabadon said:

Wait wait wait, help me out here.

Why did you post here? To basically say "I haven't played said game. Said game is ludicrous to give time and money to because $5 and a bunch of fellow gamers' recommendation is drinking Kool Aid?"

Congrats. You've now wasted my time. At least if you were planning on being useless, tell me lamprey. Just don't make another joke about stillborn children.

I played the first two overrated pieces of shit and I suspect this is simply more the same. If I'm wrong, how unfortunate of me to miss out by simply exercising caution given how much overrated poo the first two games were. No, these games get praise from fanboys and nothing more. If these had been multiplatform titles from the getgo they'd be as forgotten with the rest of the junk like Turning Point Fall of Liberty or Legendary.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cainetao11

@Blabadon said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Blabadon said:

@cainetao11 said:

It's not defensive. Why post at all if it's a useless post that has zero to do with the OP?

I mean at least shit on the game hap-hazardly or something. There are countless trolls who'd put even a modicum more effort than you did there.

Its not defensive? Come on guy, you're better than that. And there are quite a few posters who would address the question posed. Are you suggesting people are buying PS4's, X1's, and WiiU's instead of a cheaper PS3 and avoiding this great shooter that is Resistance 3? Because at least that non sense would make it relatable to SW. What does your thread have to do with what this board is pretty much for?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nengo_Flow

@lamprey263 said:

@Blabadon said:

i love how you keep bashing the game when you already admitted of the gate that you havent played it.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lamprey263

@Nengo_Flow said:

@lamprey263 said:

@Blabadon said:

i love how you keep bashing the game when you already admitted of the gate that you havent played it.

well, what I actually said I wasn't going to waste my time with it given the first two games were highly rated pieces of shit and wasn't going to go back for thirds

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

Resistance 3 had an outstanding single player

Resistance 2 had outstanding co-op

Why Insomniac why....why didn't resistance 3 have the awesome co-op and multiplayer as resistance 2

I am so glad the Resistance series is getting love here.

double_a73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 double_a73
Member since 2008 • 510 Posts

R3 was very underrated. The shooting was fun, and the atmosphere was great, but let's not kid ourselves here.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nengo_Flow

I loved Resistance 3 so much that I wanted to find more games like it so I went and bought Metro Last Light, but honestly Metro was kinda boring and very stale.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nengo_Flow

@lamprey263 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@lamprey263 said:

@Blabadon said:

well, what I actually said I wasn't going to waste my time with it given the first two games were highly rated pieces of shit and wasn't going to go back for thirds

So there you go, shut the **** please.

All you had to say was, "I thought the first two games were shit so i didnt care to play the third". Not bash the game and bash the people that liked it.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Blabadon

@Slashkice said:
@Nengo_Flow said:

I loved Resistance 3 so much that I wanted to find more games like it so I went and bought Metro Last Light, but honestly Metro was kinda boring and very stale.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought R3 was a better-paced Half-Life 2. I like Metro, though I wouldn't consider it similar to R3 outside of the atmosphere.

You asked for it Slash

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lamprey263
@Nengo_Flow said:

@lamprey263 said:

So shut the **** please.

All you had to say was, "I thought the first two games were shit so i didnt care to play the third". Not bash the game and bash the people that liked it.

actually that is what I said, you pretty much paraphrased it

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#36 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Resistance 3 was overlooked by mainstream audience.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blabadon

@Slashkice: The first Resistance was the game that broke me from only playing games in their series order and not playing then otherwise. I skipped 2 because 1 was so awful and played three because it was $4 and looked different. Great choice on my part. Wishing I could play a FPS that approaches its cohesion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

the DMC comparison mostly sucks for multiple reasons. A: DMC1 was excellent and one of the more influential games ever (the entird 3D beat em up genre is based around that game) while Resistance 1 was shit, B: There are aspect of DMC2 that directly led to why DMC3 is excellent. Can't say the same about Resistance 2, in fact there is very little of Resistance 2 beyond the super ficial shit.

That said agreed, Resistance 3 is an actual well made shooter. The bosses suck, as does a lot of the level design as a whole as it's mostly pedestrian shit that covers every FPS trope ever, but the general synergy between the weapons you have and the enemies you will fight is what makes it all enjoyable. It's about giving the players all these tools, and the player needs to figure out at what point which tool he/she should be using. Very well done shooter, Bungie on their best day didn't make a campaign that delivered on what Resistance 3 does.

That said one of the best FPS campaigns of all time? nah, not really. Good though. Definitely good.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts

They should've gone with upgradeable weapons from the get-go.

But yeah, Resistance 3 is cool shit.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Only played one or two missions of the first one didn't like it. Skipped the second one. And found the third one pretty boring had to force myself to finish. Decided to give Burning Skies a try and that was even worse.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

Who needs DMC now that we got Bayonetta? Also, who needs Resistance when there's so many other good quality shooters to play.

Also I had no interest in Resistance 3 as the first two were both horrible disappointments that cows and Sony apologist in "gaming journalism" refused to hold their feet to the fire over these pieces of shit and instead celebrated them. After contrasting my experience against the hype I determined it'd be ludicrous to give Resistance 3 my time and money.

Bayonetta is not Devil May Cry.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It does look quite good but Resistance 1 was so bland that I'm a little weary of the series (in the same way that some of the Assassin's Creed games look good but the original was such shit that I find it hard to jump into the sequels). Plus, I'm not a fan of Insomniac. For all their charm and cool weapons, their R&C games are very unimaginatively designed. Strip away all the Pixarness and you get the same not-trying-hard-enough-to-build-an-interesting-level blandness of Resistance 1.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#43  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@lamprey263 said:

Bayonetta is not Devil May Cry.

While that's true, Bayonetta 2 does make it a bit hard to go back to DMC.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

resistance 3 was easily one of the best shooters from last gen. thought the other two were lackluster but i can't help but praise the hell out of 3.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

only half of Resistance 3 was good, the other half is one of the most boring and dullest game I played in the last generation. After certain person dies in R3 I just wanted it to end because there was no point to anything but going all Rambo and destroy everything by yourself in a way that is only possible in a video game. Resistance 2 was way better, especially its 8 player online-co-op was one of the most fun I had with the online component of a game last gen. And not to mention the 64 player team death-match. R3's MP was downgraded to shit.

Resistance 2 has higher Metacritic than R3 and it's for a reason.

+

The comparison with DMC is very bad because DMC2 was utter shit while DMC3 was brilliant. None of the Resistance games were brilliant but none of them were utter shit like DMC2 either. The first Resistance, a rushed launch game, is still the best one of the 3 games though.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I'm a fan of the series..

Resistance1 - Good Sp campaign + Decent Online

Resistance2 - Average Sp Campaign + Great Online

Resistance3 - Great Sp Campaign + Good Online

Resistance 4 - Greatness awaits :P

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

Great effort @Blabadon I totally agree but you're talking to SW and they will not listen reason.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58900 Posts

Halflife wannabe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts