uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58848 Posts

If Resident Evil 2 was Deep Space 9, this is Star Trek: Voyager, not even Jills rock melons could save this game.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/resident-evil-3-remake-review-in-progress/1900-6417441/#comments-block-33488843

Capcom's remake of Resident Evil 3 makes a strong first impression, but it eventually loses sight of what made the original so memorable.

Editor's note: This review in progress covers the single-player content of Resident Evil 3. We will be playing the multiplayer part of the Resident Evil 3 package, Resistance, over the next few days and finalizing this review once we've fully tested the mode.

The opening hours of Resident Evil 3 are incredibly effective at putting you on edge. A remake of the original 1999 game, Resident Evil 3 puts the volatile and intense conflict between protagonist Jill Valentine and the unrelenting force of nature, Nemesis, front and center--giving way to some strong survival horror moments that show off the best of what the series can offer. But after that solid start, this revisit to a bygone era not only loses track of the type of horror game that Resident Evil once was, but also loses sight of what made the original so memorable.

Much like 2019's Resident Evil 2, the remake of Resident Evil 3 interprets the classic survival horror game through a modern lens, redesigning locations and altering key events to fit a significantly revised story. Resident Evil 3 doesn't deviate too much from the formula set by the RE2 remake, but it does lean harder into the action-focused slant the original version of RE3 had, giving you some greater defensive skills to survive. RE3's introduction is a strong one, conveying a creeping sense of paranoia and dread that's synonymous with the series, and Jill Valentine once again proves herself to be a confident protagonist to take everything head-on.

RE3 is very much a companion piece to the previous game, serving as a simultaneous prequel and sequel that caps off the saga in Raccoon City. There are even key points in the story that expect you to know of prior characters or locations that tie back to the previous remake. While you won't miss out on anything vital for not having played RE2, some of the previous game's most poignant moments are given more subtext in RE3. You'll eventually cross paths with supporting characters like mercenary Carlos Oliveira, the game's second playable character, along with some other unsavory individuals looking to take advantage of the chaos.

It was fun to see Jill and her allies maintain their confidence and even show some snark throughout the incident, which ensures that the game isn't always so serious. Both protagonists are also given some key moments throughout the story that show off their skills and personality more, which is fun and satisfying to see play out. But disappointingly, RE3's story reaches its conclusion after a brisk six-hour campaign, which is made worse by a lackluster finish that left me wanting. While this is comparable to the original game, the shrinking scope of the remake's plot and locations makes its short run even more apparent.

Throughout the game, Jill Valentine is a capable survivor, more so than both Leon and Claire, and she's well-suited to handle the undead and other bioweapon monstrosities like the Nemesis that roam the city. Along with dodging attacks, she can also execute slow-mo evasive rolls that open a clean shot at the enemy's weak point, which can be especially satisfying to pull off during an intense encounter.

There's a more pronounced emphasis on action and quick reflexes in RE3, which can make the shooting, survival, and exploration loop a bit more engaging and responsive. While this ultimately gives you a greater feeling of control in the field, it's not enough to the point that it makes encounters with the ravenous undead or Nemesis easy. So while you are capable, it's often best to play it safe. Resident Evil 3 tries to stick with the tenets of survival horror gameplay and is generally far more challenging than RE2, due to its greater focus on inventory management and ammo crafting. However, the generous save points and checkpoints ensure you won't suffer too steep a loss after death.

Resident Evil 3 also carries forth many of the successes from the Resident Evil 2 remake, which gives it a leg up for its own outing. As with previous games, RE3 is all about escalation, forcing you to contend with dwindling resources as the monsters--and Nemesis--put the pressure on. Unlike in Resident Evil 2, which quickly took you off the streets of Raccoon City, you spend more time in RE3 exploring the main roads, side alleys, and other points of interest in town.

RE3 possesses an impeccable level of detail for the locations and action during its six-hour campaign, right down to the tense atmosphere and grisly violence. The brutality and devastation in Raccoon City is demonstrated effectively thanks to the vivid and grotesque details as you explore the ruined city. The game also draws your eyes to the many locales that reference classic Resident Evil, which is not only fun to see, but manages to tug on the nostalgic heartstrings.

One of my favorite areas of RE3 is Downtown Raccoon City, which shows off the best that the remake has to offer. As an expansive map, it not only has diverse locations, and plenty of undead, it also displays the dynamic nature of the game's true star--Nemesis. The imposing villain quickly establishes himself as a cunning force when encountered out in the open.

The Nemesis has many tricks up its sleeve, such as using its tentacles to trip you up or turning other zombies into horrific mutations, all of which are disturbing to witness. It'll actively stalk and follow you into places you once thought were safe--bending the unspoken rules of engagement in survival horror to establish its presence further. Nemesis makes Mr. X from RE2 come across as a fedora-wearing goon, and even when you find yourself in a safe space, you can catch a glimpse of the villain waiting outside for you to leave--which stand as some of the most unnerving moments of the game.

Other characters from Resident Evil's past are given a new look in this remake.
Other characters from Resident Evil's past are given a new look in this remake.

However, as the game goes on, it becomes clear that Resident Evil 3 struggles to maintain its poise when the scope begins to narrow, and how blatantly the game relies on recycling many of RE2's tricks and tropes, which now feel less interesting. This has to do with the game's focus on momentum. Just when you're getting accustomed to a location, particularly the extensive and varied Downtown area, a story beat will occur that brings you to the next area, preventing your return. The series' penchant for puzzles are also infrequent in RE3 remake, putting more focus on exploration and combat which can eventually become exhausting.

It can be tricky to balance the elements of both survival horror and action gameplay, as one can easily undermine the other, and unfortunately, this is apparent in RE3. There are many moments where the game's strengths for action and horror shine, particularly during the more open areas where the Nemesis is afoot. Generally, though--especially toward the second half--its attempts to balance both can come across as awkward and uninteresting, and at its worst, they can be jarring. This is especially true with the many elaborate set-piece encounters, where you control Jill as she navigates Uncharted-esque sequences that are highly-scripted gameplay moments that go for the cinematic effect. They often result in tonal whiplash, as you typically transition back into the slower, survival-horror pacing right after.

This is most evident in the portrayal of the game's primary antagonist. Nemesis is at its best when stalking you in the streets. But these sections--while terrifyingly engaging--are fleeting. Nemesis only actively hunts you during the opening section in Downtown Raccoon City. The majority of the Nemesis encounters occur in scripted sequences that lead up to boss fights. In the original game, Nemesis' random appearances kept you on edge. In contrast, the remake's use of Nemesis in the mid-to-late game will likely have you roll your eyes at the prospect of another lengthy and fixed encounter.

However, as the game goes on, it becomes clear that Resident Evil 3 struggles to maintain its poise when the scope begins to narrow...

Nemesis is undoubtedly one of the most iconic villains of the series, and it's frustrating and disappointing to see it effectively sidelined, coming off more like a standard Resident Evil boss that springs out at story beats. Another side effect of the lack of Nemesis encounters in the game is that it calls attention to the lack of enemy diversity. While the series' regular zombies are in plentiful supply, most other enemy types don't show up as often, which makes combat and survival elements feel stale towards the end.

In keeping with previous games, finishing RE3 opens up some additional features when you complete it, which come in the form of a shop in the main menu that lets you purchase new costumes, weapons, and other items. This allows you to essentially customize your next playthrough, giving you certain key items earlier than intended or increasing your attack power and defensive capabilities.

While these changes can be fun for a revisit, there isn't much else in the way of bonus content to keep you going, aside from a new playthrough in the game's hardcore difficulty mode that ratchets up the pressure even more. Resident Evil 3 does also come packed with the team-based online mode Resistance, though we haven't had enough time with. We will finalize this review once we've had time with Resistance's take on 4v1 online-multiplayer.

Looking back on my first playthrough of the RE3 remake, it was clear that the game reached its peak early and slowly lost momentum going forward. With the remake's shortcomings in mind, it's easy to make comparisons to the original game's approach. In addition to featuring a more dynamic and present Nemesis, Jill's odyssey had more locations to visit. It is impressive to see classic locations like Downtown and Hospital recreated, yet some other places from the original, like the Clock Tower and Park, are absent. While this won't mean much for newcomers, and the remake skirts this by setting up elaborate Nemesis encounters, the shrinking scale of the game diminishes the impact of its plot and events. It's clear that this remake of Resident Evil 3 is missing some crucial beats that could have offered a more effective and satisfying story.

As a remake, Resident Evil 3 not only falls short of honoring its source, but it also doesn't quite stick the landing as a standalone horror experience. Even without taking into account the original game, or its predecessor, RE3 struggles to keep up with its pace amid a clashing of elements from survival horror and standard action. While it has a strong start and gives its principal villain some great moments, this truncated retelling of the concluding game from the original Resident Evil trilogy doesn't do it proper justice.

big 6 bio

THE GOOD
The fantastic visuals and immersive atmosphere make exploring Raccoon City a treat for longtime fans
Jill and Carlos are great protagonists, and they each have several great and satisfying moments throughout the plot
Focused survival horror elements are the most thrilling and nerve-wracking moments of the game
THE BAD
The many action set-pieces and boss encounters come off as jarring and tonally off from the game's core survival horror gameplay
Disappointing lack of presence for Nemesis, who is quickly relegated to dramatic set-piece encounters that do the villain a disservice

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

I had a bad feeling about this one especially after playing the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3 deactivated-5f9d77f5cef3a
Member since 2020 • 1426 Posts

*Sad*

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

https://www.pcgamer.com/resident-evil-3-remake-review/

PC gamers rate it even lower.

They gave Doom Eternal 94.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

That's a shame. Woulda been nice to have a complete quality REmake trilogy

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

Will wait for steam reviews.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Called it. The demo was garbage

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

So....Ghost was right?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#9 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24896 Posts

@pinkribbonscars said:

hopefully they will soon make first person RE8 following RE7.

enough with remakes.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

I see RE has return to its true form. LOL.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44103 Posts

Well this is very disappointing to see for sure. I enjoyed the demo myself though and still want to get the full game when it comes out. It’s also a shame because Capcom has really been on fire for the past couple of years.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I had alot of fun with the demo but there's no way in hell it's worth 60 bucks I still want to play it though but when it's dirt cheap.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

HAHAHA! :P

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2131 Posts

That's a shame, though not completely unexpected knowing that Capcom pushed it in 1 year.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#15 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

It sounds just as good as the original and it actually makes sense as the original DID borrow a lot of elements from 2 and in many ways it was mostly an expansion from RE2. So it falls in line with my expectations. I already had a feeling that it wouldn't do well critically but really, who gives a **** about them? 😆 I LOVE Resident Evil 3 and 2 so I already know I'll find a whole lot more joy out of the Remake than this reviewer did. And I suggest we all do the same and just try the game before listening to the critics. This game is for the fans, not the critics.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

Ouch ...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44545 Posts

Considering short game length, shitty online mode, and horrible Xbox One X performance and lack of optimization, I am strongly considering passing for now, then again, this social distancing I might have too much time and may get it for some thrills to pass time for brief while, fingers crossed if I can hold out that it'll be on sale in short time.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 uninspiredcup  Online

@nepu7supastar7: Deep Space 9 was great.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371  Online

I must say though it can be pretty amusing how schizophrenic gamers can be when it comes to review scores. They tend to bounce around from reviews not mattering to them being bought and paid for to them being the be all/end all of a game’s quality or lack there of.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Archangel3371: True that. Gamespot shat Resident Evil: Revelations and it was one of the better RE titles.

Def be picking this up at some point, just not really expecting RE2 quality.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

You people are acting like a 6 is a bad score.

All it means is "not for everyone". It does not mean it is a bad game. In fact I believe the wordage for a 6 is "fair".

@subspecies said:

So....Ghost was right?

Even a blind squirrel gets an acorn now and then...

...a broken clock is right twice a day...

...and so on and so on.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Easy Allies gave it an 8.5. I was expecting them to give it a 7 by how they were talking about it. I'll still get the game, but when it's cheap.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Archangel3371  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

@Archangel3371: True that. Gamespot shat Resident Evil: Revelations and it was one of the better RE titles.

Def be picking this up at some point, just not really expecting RE2 quality.

Don’t recall what GameSpot gave Revelations but my point is more about how gamers use review scores against each other. I enjoyed Revelations myself but personally I wouldn’t think of it as one of the better RE games as I’d prefer to play all the numbered ones over it.

I wasn’t really expecting this one to be RE2 level of quality either and still look forward to playing it as well.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56036 Posts

Ouch. Its a good thing I didn't pay full price for this Remake and got it for cheaper.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

This game is for the fans, not the critics.

Lol. The universal excuse for all sh1t art.

No such thing as art "for" or "not for" either critics or fans. Art just is, and everyone will have their opinions on it.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I wasn't hyped for it even though I thought RE2R was fantastic. The original RE3 was the least memorable of the RE games for me. I wish id have waited and bought it instead of Doom Eternal though.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15906 Posts

RE3 averaging 80% for PS4 on metacritics based on 40 something reviews.. ouch such a downgrade from last year game. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was my fav game of the franchise and too bad its not living up to hype. Will still try it out once I finish TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Looks like it's getting mix reviews. IGN gave it a 9 so far for the singleplayer. Resident Evil 2 remake is great and I really hope the same goes with Resident Evil 3 as well.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

So this is like The Godfather Part 3 of the REmakes?

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

@davillain- said:

Ouch. Its a good thing I didn't pay full price for this Remake and got it for cheaper.

Ouch...you paid for this? 😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts

What the ****

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

I knew it would flop, next flop is ff7

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@sakaixx said:

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was my fav game of the franchise and too bad its not living up to hype.

Well to be fair, at least as far as I remember, RE3 was considered the weakest among the OG titles. I think a lot of people expected this remake to come up short due to the source material.

So if you had an outlier opinion of the original, it may translate to this new game.

Haven't actually read reviews yet tho, so not sure if their issues are something new, or just aspects rooted in the originals design.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@dagubot said:
@davillain- said:

Ouch...you paid for this? 😂

$43 from CDKey. Like I said, much better then paying full price $60. And really, I like what I'm seeing so far. I was very please with RE2 Remake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@pinkribbonscars said:

hopefully they will soon make first person RE8 following RE7.

enough with remakes.

Mhm, it's one of the few things we can agree on

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DaVillain  Moderator

@ConanTheStoner said:
@sakaixx said:

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis was my fav game of the franchise and too bad its not living up to hype.

Well to be fair, at least as far as I remember, RE3 was considered the weakest among the OG titles. I think a lot of people expected this remake to come up short due to the source material.

So if you had an outlier opinion of the original, it may translate to this new game.

Haven't actually read reviews yet tho, so not sure if their issues are something new, or just aspects rooted in the originals design.

6/10 sounds about right for this all new upcoming edition of RE3 Remake. All evidence points to it being a short (5/6 hours) and rushed mess. That's not even taking in all the left out locations and enemies from the original RE3. Capcom simply did not hit that home run with this all new upcoming edition of RE3 and it's incredibly sad and my expectations are low.

Since I'm still on house arrest for months (still going to work but you catch my drift) to come, I'm still gonna play it and thank goodness for CDKey ;)

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@davillain-:

Not fussed about scores at all, but I might check out some reviews. Which is something I rarely do before buying a game.

Either way, no rush to play it. Definitely just grab it when it's on sale.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nepu7supastar7

@locopatho:

There's no such thing as "sh1t" art. Some people see value where others don't. And with videogames, there actually IS such thing as a target audience.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46199 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@davillain-:

Not fussed about scores at all, but I might check out some reviews. Which is something I rarely do before buying a game.

Either way, no rush to play it. Definitely just grab it when it's on sale.

I was initialy gonna do this too as RE 2 for example is like 20 bucks (17 on GMG) after a year. You'd be stupid not to wait.

But yeah, I really enjoyed the demo last week. I was impressed by the graphics, the game controlled great and ran very smooth. An excellent PC version all around and I wanted to play more. If that means a 6 hour game, I'll bite nevertheless.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Shame they couldn't catch the same spark as RE2R, but i'll no doubt enjoy the game.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@lundy86_4:

They did warn us that RE3 Remake strays further from the source material than RE2 did. To what extent is what'll make or break reviews for most people. What I'm wondering is how the hell are people getting their hands on the game so goddamm early?!!

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Eurogamer review on RE3.

The Resident Evil 3 remake, like the original upon which it is based, is inferior to its predecessor.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: Yeah, I know they were taking certain things out, especially the choices (which is obviously sucky.)

People have it already? I'm waiting on GMG to get my key, so i'll hopefully be playing Friday.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nepu7supastar7

@hiphops_savior:

It's something many RE fans say about Resident Evil 2 and 3. Though for me, I've always preferred Resident Evil 3 over 2. I liked exploring the city and fighting off Nemesis.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nepu7supastar7

@lamprey263: @davillain-: @SolidGame_basic: @Pedro:

- See guys? And you wanted FFVII to release in one game! Y'all are CRAZY!! Imagine cramming all that you remember into one disc in FFVIIR. It just can't be done without cutting off content. If anything, this kinda proves my point that FFVIIR SHOULD stay episodic. Especially if we want everything to be as epic as possible.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

3 was really just a side story and wasn't even the actual sequel, Code Veronica was the true sequel but due to a deal Capcom had with Sony at the time they Sony would get all numbered sequels. So the side story was called RE3, and the true sequel on the Dreamcast didn't have a number attached to it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts

I'm so disappointed right now. I was almsot counting hours until the release, and now i see a bunch of 6/10's and "5h long campaigh"? This sucks.

Avatar image for deactivated-63181ff40994a
deactivated-63181ff40994a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-63181ff40994a
Member since 2017 • 575 Posts

It's also getting some good reviews by others.........anyways, not surprised, this game did infact only come out a little over a year from RE2 remake, perhaps it needed more dev time. I for one didn't like RE2 remake it's like the life was sucked out of that game compared to the original version (character wise) Leon just had NO personality.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nepu7supastar7

@vfighter:

"3 was really just a side story and wasn't even the actual sequel,"

-EXACTLY!! I dunno just what the hell people were expecting. Almost every list of complaints (aside from the cut content) falls in line with what RE3 was already like. Sure, they could've done more but it's kinda stupid to complain about it now.