Resident Evil Revelations a sign of things to come?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 59322 Posts

We all bitched about microtransactions. Now: not only that, only that: the game features (on day of launch) 17 pieces of dlc that amount to £39.83; the game itself being £19.99.

Big publishers have admitted in no uncertain terms; next generation consoles are all about creeping in more monetization.

Why where you (the people) hyped for next generation consoles; when it appears, they had 0 interest in utilizing the hardware for anything other than incrementally manipulating you accept more and more monetization?

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

We all bitched about microtransactions. Now: not only that, only that: the game features (on day of launch) 17 pieces of dlc that amount to £39.83; the game itself being £19.99.

Big publishers have admitted in no uncertain terms; next generation consoles are all about creeping in more monetization.

Why where you (the people) hyped for next generation consoles; when it appears, they had 0 interest in utilizing the hardware for anything other than incrementally manipulating you accept more and more monetization?

Hardware utilisation has nothing to do with monetization of a product.

Im against DLC because it means devs can be tempted to hold back software features. Im not against DLC that offers your player a new skin 2-3 months after release because frankly its not something I would pay for but if people wish to then thats their prerogative im not going to rain on their parade. Likewise I dont object to paying for a substantial addition to the content of the game, a large additional area, extra tracks in a racer or new story mission or expansions somewhere down the line.

What I do object to is DLC releasing at the same time (or very close) to the release date of the title. That means the content exists, its ready to go, the cost of developing it have been accounted for but the devs have decided not to include that content on disc from the get go because they value it higher than the £50 price tag.

Unfortunately when it comes to DLC it is us as consumers who are largely responsible. As long as people are prepared to eat up horse armour and the like then we will get nickle and dimed for as long as we live. The only way to end (the wrong kind) of DLC is to vote against with our wallets.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

It's probably worth noting as well: Revelations 2 (at least on the pc) launched without full raid content. "to be added later" split up into episodes with the actual full content on launch and bugs galore.

Yet there you have it: 17 pieces of dlc and micro transactions ready to go. Very much like Ubisoft.

Thank you consoles, great work.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

TC you talk like if the principal source of income of PC gaming aren't F2P games... If anything, this shit started on PC as the testing waters. PC is the lab rat.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#5 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Well this is pretty much what the industry has degenerated into. Corporate bullshit has taken it over. Honestly at this point the damage has become irreversible. I remember back in 2009 when there was an outrage over Resident Evil 5 having on-disk DLC. It didn't stop people from buying it, and as a result we now have microtransactions left and right, Day 1 DLC, games being released prematurely leading to glitches and day 1 patches, low effort cash-grab sequels being pumped every year, more money being put into marketing instead of the actual game itself etc etc.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I got my ten year old goddaughter an apple gift card. I asked her what she will use it for and she said, probably for microtransactions in her favorite games. (Not in those words but that was the jist of it.)

There ya go folks, this is the market that is feeding the system. They're too young to know better and developers will milk their ignorance.

I also can't imagine what capcom has to gain releasing this game as "episodes." (Wait is this their way to combat used games?)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@Gue1 said:

TC you talk like if the principal source of income of PC gaming aren't F2P games... If anything, this shit started on PC as the testing waters. PC is the lab rat.

My friend: the console contort "expansions"/"Free2play" much like how terrorist groups may contort a piece of important script; the script on it's own may enrich peoples life's, however misinterpreted and misused, it can lead to suffering on a mass scale.

With the rise of consoles internet connection; primarily through the popularity of the xbox, these pc concepts have been warped by insidious sensibilities, nurtured by marketing departments who control every media aspect with an iron-fist.

A Kaiser Soze business model; incrementally moving towards an nihilistic goal, in plain sight yet the consumer oblivious.

Incredibly saddening my friend. Incredibly so.

I cry.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Gue1 said:

man, so salty over pc

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Is it 2007?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

So Capcom never learned even after getting blasted for their bullshit with Street Fighter X Tekken (a game that murdered my hype and anticipation for it, so much so that) and say they are "re-evaluating it". They're pushing it for me.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

lol Uninspiredcup thread

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I was hyped for next gen because I play Nintendo consoles mainly but I have all last gen minus a 360 and I wasn't let down because the wiiU is the only next/current gen console that isn't about monetizing it's customers at every corner. You actually get a full game for $60 at launch, not a beta for $60 at launch then have to pay to access the rest of the full game like is happening on Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Is Ubisoft the new EA?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Resident Evil 10: Revelations 2: Episode 1, Chapter 1, Part A, The Beginning Starts

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@Gue1 said:

TC you talk like if the principal source of income of PC gaming aren't F2P games.

And you talk like you have proof to back this up.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44679 Posts

It's quite perplexing as to all the DLC. I mean sure, it's easy to understand they want to milk this as much as possible, greed is easy to understand. Just the release of this game is puzzling, 4 episodes for $6 each, $24 total, a season pass that's $25 but comes with two extra episodes and a raid mode character/skin. And then the physical retail $40 is supposed to come with an extra two episodes on top of what the season pass gets and another character/raid skin, and I think the throwback pack of raid maps which goes for $5 and isn't included in the season pass... why not just sell the whole thing for a flat price. There's a skin pack of four for $10 or $3/piece. Frankly, I don't care for the skins, but it is something I feel should be included in the game, after all RE games have been big on unlocking stuff. There's also what I believe to be weapon leveling-up shortcut micro-transactions, I can ignore those.

What really makes me go WTF though is that they have a piece of free DLC called the Compatibility Pack which is needed to download to use the skin DLC or play the throwback map pack... damn, icing on the cake. I don't understand this at all.

Anyhow, probably even more baffling example of DLC gone haywire is Dead Or Alive: Ultimate's digital retail page. Downloading the full game means downloading like 43 pieces of DLC for the full gamebundle, not just one, 43 damn pieces. I understand the idea behind the Core Fighters download, a limited free to play game (on PS4 at least) and $5 for a limited time on Xbox One, and then be able to piece up to the full game if desired, but this is even a bigger mess. On top of that, there's even more seemingly countless DLC beyond the full game, I'm not sure if this is stuff unlocked in the full game or what but there's like 100 pieces of additional DLC (mostly costumes) and it's frankly quite puzzling to me to the point I'm avoiding playing the game. I'm not sure if any of it is supposed to come with the game or be paid for seperately, it's all very confusing.

By contrast, Revelations 2 DLC seems like less of a headache. At least as far as RER2 goes the only pieces of DLC I care about are the extra episodes that come with the retail version and the Throwback Pack. Throwback is only $5 but I'm curious what price they'll put on the extra episodes. By the time the retail version releases they should at least bundle all the extra episodes, throwback pack, and skins into a nice little bundle... hopefully, but doubtful. I'll not try to anger myself by being a realist about what's probably going to happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

A sign? The sign was last gen when people willingly bent over to dlc abuse.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Im watching DS9 on netflix right now. Love that show. Probably my favorite star trek series, even though TNG is the best.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#21 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

They honestly think 4 costumes are worth $10?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I won't allow companies to exploit me, I will never be a day one buyer... Just keep waiting everything gets cheaper or free on PN+.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

Resident evil is probably one of few series that people care about from Capcom a least far as I know

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

Another cup thread claiming consoles are Satan himself. I play PC games a lot and trust me F2P games (which are MADLY big on PC) bend you over and take you for everything much more than DLC does although DLC and microtransactions are at least Satan's minions if not the great man himself.

Interestingly I'm playing Diablo 3 finally. I avoided it for a long time because of that shitty auction house but here I am playing it on and loving it on PS4 with no AH I feel so safe on console where Blizzard can't screw me over.

Also while I'm here Resident Evil Revelations 2 with your crap money-leeching episodes stick it up your ass release a full game or just don't bother. Thanks.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#25 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't understand why anyone thinks episodic content is a good idea. I kind of understand it with a game like Walking Dead but God, you're jut paying a hell of a lot more money than you would be for a full priced game... To play a finished game. Whatever happened to going to the tore, buying a game and having the whole thing? Gaming has gotten so complicated.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blueinheaven

@turtlethetaffer said:

I don't understand why anyone thinks episodic content is a good idea. I kind of understand it with a game like Walking Dead but God, you're jut paying a hell of a lot more money than you would be for a full priced game... To play a finished game. Whatever happened to going to the tore, buying a game and having the whole thing? Gaming has gotten so complicated.

It's all about the casual gamer. 'Games' like Walking Dead where they don't actually have to play anything at all (let's face it they haven't got the time) are what it's all about these days. If you didn't tell them it was in episodes and was actually a full game they would go into full panic mode wondering how on Earth they can possibly play it all.

I expect the next 'innovation' in game design will be games you watch, you literally don't have to do anything at all except maybe nudge a button to make the next scene happen.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 turtlethetaffer

@blueinheaven said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

It's all about the casual gamer. 'Games' like Walking Dead where they don't actually have to play anything at all (let's face it they haven't got the time) are what it's all about these days. If you didn't tell them it was in episodes and was actually a full game they would go into full panic mode wondering how on Earth they can possibly play it all.

I expect the next 'innovation' in game design will be games you watch, you literally don't have to do anything at all except maybe nudge a button to make the next scene happen.

Honestly, there are plenty of short games out there these days that can be bested in a few hours. My question is why not just release the full Revelations 2? What kind of benefit does having it in episodes bring, aside from more revenue for Capcom?

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By blueinheaven

@turtlethetaffer said:

@blueinheaven said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Honestly, there are plenty of short games out there these days that can be bested in a few hours. My question is why not just release the full Revelations 2? What kind of benefit does having it in episodes bring, aside from more revenue for Capcom?

You answered your own question but what they don't realise is people like me who HATE the very idea of episodic games (and there are a lot of us) will never go anywhere near it. By the time they get around to releasing all their stupid 'episodes' as a full game, we have moved on to something else and they are history.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 turtlethetaffer

@blueinheaven: I hate the idea of them too, trust me. It's so much better to just wait for the full edition to come out.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

didnt watch vid, but kinda like that deal if the 17 pieces of DLC add to the gaming experience.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Oh revelations 2

Capcom you did everything so right with the first game but then turned around and destroyed it.

darkhadou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darkhadou
Member since 2003 • 649 Posts

I'm not surprised. The mobile gaming market is making a killing offering free games, but charging 99 cents for 5 extra lives. The companies are in business to make profit and not provide charity.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Brands. The last word I want to hear come out of a fucking Games CEO's mouth at a conference explaining their new plan. I want unique experiences that contain and tell unique stories and styles of gameplay. I don't need another Shit Creed 9, or a new Cod 12. Everyone keeps trying to say the industry is to obsessed with Hollywood. And to an extent it is. But it's didn't take the only redeeming factor I can see that would transfer over. Unique 1 of a kind stories that have nothing to do with another movie series are everywhere, almost every tittle. The games industry would rather just sell you the same shit with a slightly different coating, nothing unique or 1 of a kind for it's consumers. Just the same shit again and again.

Purchased DLC once with a seasons pass, Will never do again thanks BF4. Also purchased Micro transaction weapons on planet side 2 once. Well they were useless and worse then the original free weapon so again I'll never do that again. Everything thing this CEO is talking about makes me want to buy the games this company makes even less as a pc gamer. Company of heroes two, the sequel to one of my favorite games still is not purchased because of this nickle and dimming while cutting content out tactic and I'll continue to not buy shit where the developers decides Micro transactions in a $60-$80 dollar tittle are the future.

Now it's more worth it to wait for a game with everything included to go on sale for 5-10 dollars a year or more later. Makes it so your game is actually in a functioning state, and you don't have to pay out the ass for this ludicrous business model these corporate heads have decided to shit out to us.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

@godspellwh said:

Resident evil is probably one of few series that people care about from Capcom a least far as I know

That's because Capcom has killed off most of their franchises.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#35 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

@Big_Pecks said:

@godspellwh said:

That's because Capcom has killed off most of their franchises.

One of them being their mascot.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 uninspiredcup  Online

@wolverine4262 said:

@uninspiredcup: Im watching DS9 on netflix right now. Love that show. Probably my favorite star trek series, even though TNG is the best.

Personally, I'd put Deep Space 9 over it; but then again, it probably depends what you are after. TOS/Voyager/Enterprise are fairly comparable (basically space boats on a journey); Deep Space 9 was star trek in name only..

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Hey look on the Bright Side.... CO-OP !!!

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Yea, and thats why I like DS9 the most. It has series long plots and real character growth. But TNG probably has the best writing episode by episode. Only one I dont like is Voyager, although TOS is hard to watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

It's funny how when I first started posting here, I couldn't stand TC's threads. And now I love them. He's the funniest user here by far.

Uninspiredcup is the actual System Wars KING.

Well much better than Lulu_Lulu atleast.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@wolverine4262 said:

@uninspiredcup: Yea, and thats why I like DS9 the most. It has series long plots and real character growth. But TNG probably has the best writing episode by episode. Only one I dont like is Voyager, although TOS is hard to watch.

Deep Space 9 has worse episodes; two in particular are fucking terrible, worse than anything on TNG, overall though, I wouldn't agree with this statement.