Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Ok... with the annnouncement that RE5 and 6 were coming to Switch and with it being Halloween month, I figured I would replay the series starting with the 4th.

Now, when it came with to 4th, I bought it on Gamecube upon release and PS2 back in the day. I got the digital PS3 version with RE6 collectors edition and now I have it on PS4. In short... I'm not buying it again.

Now here's the oddity. I started it... got a few chapters in... and I'm board. I'm not able to get back into it at this time.

So I jumped into RE5 on PS4; having had the PS3 collector's edition. I'm a couple chapters in and I'm loving it. The game is a lot of fun and I'm not sure what changed. RE4 had been the preferred RE between the two for years. RE4 is generally the favorite among fans so I'm finding it odd that I'm now preferring RE5.

Do any of you prefer RE5 over RE4?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

I've played 5 more than 4 and this will probably continue to be the case.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments I've seen in regards to 4 being better (Jim Sterling no surprise)

"Resident Evil 4 is camp and funny and 5 isn't"

Resident Evil 4 is like a Robert Rodriguez movie that's trying to emulate B-movies than actually being one. Which is generally always inferior.

Resident Evil 5 is a b-movie, when Capcom made that they took it deadly serious, likewise with 6.

For that reason they are far more entertaining tonally in the same manner as The Room, the developers making it think it's high, serious action thriller when it's actually campy gutter trash.

Resident Evil 4 is purposefully trying to capture that tone, ending up try-hard like Machete or Hobo With A Shotgun, where it's entertaining, but lacks earnestness of real cow-shit.

For all intents and purposes Resident Evil 5 is a Roger Moore era James Bond movie, with monsters, with equally solid (in some regards better) gameplay than Resident Evil 4, you can play with a friend.

So yea, enjoy both, lesser 6, which can still be enjoyable, but given the choice take 5 over 4.

6 has alot of gameplay problems. But it's still fun enough for at least 1 play-through.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

I'd say it's not that odd. I had a lot of fun with RE5 in coop, and whilst loving RE4 at the time, I basically never go back to replay the game.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I've played 5 more than 4 and this will probably continue to be the case.

One of the absolute dumbest arguments I've seen in regards to 4 being better (Jim Sterling no surprise)

"Resident Evil 4 is camp and funny and 5 isn't"

Resident Evil 4 is like a Robert Rodriguez movie that's trying to emulate B-movies than actually being one. Which is generally always inferior.

Resident Evil 5 is a b-movie, when Capcom made that they took it deadly serious, likewise with 6.

For that reason they are far more entertaining tonally in the same manner as The Room, the developers making it think it's high, serious action thriller when it's actually campy gutter trash.

Resident Evil 4 is purposefully trying to capture that tone, ending up try-hard like Machete or Hobo With A Shotgun, where it's entertaining, but lacks earnestness of real cow-shit.

For all intents and purposes Resident Evil 5 is a Roger Moore era James Bond movie, with monsters, with equally solid (in some regards better) gameplay than Resident Evil 4, you can play with a friend.

So yea, enjoy both, lesser 6, which can still be enjoyable, but given the choice take 5 over 4.

6 has alot of gameplay problems. But it's still fun enough for at least 1 play-through.

This...actually makes a lot of sense. But can we really say that Chris punching a boulder in the middle of a volcano wasn't seen by the design team as being purposely sh*t?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

I only played 4 for a bit and that was well after 5 and 6 were released. I didn't see anything great in the time I did play it, to be honest. The controls were also complete garbage.

That doesn't really excuse how bad 5 and 6 were, but still. Although, 5 is still way better than 6.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts

You're board, ey? Hate when that happens.

RE5 was fun. But I thought RE4 was a more complete package. The story and levels were more fun than 5's. And Leon >>> boring ass Chris.

5 just doubled down on the action. While fun, I feel RE4 had more diversity.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44139 Posts

I’ve purchased and played both RE4 and RE5 multiple times and while I do think that RE5 is a very good game I enjoy RE4 more. Probably because I get a kick out of the campy humour in RE4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Resident Evil 5 feels like a Capcom B team version of Resident Evil 4. You're out of you mind if you think 5 is better than 4. You're also objectively wrong.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

I think 4 had the better story, pacing and memorable moments. Didn't hurt that it holds a major milestone of changing the RE formula quite a bit.....

5 is more technically responsive and a visual step-up.

5 is more enjoyable to play. 4 is just a walk down memory lane that hasn't aged too well imo.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Upgrading weapons was more fun in 4 than 5 and 6. The hidden bonus for maxing out each weapon is a game changer and leads to a lot more options to play. I enjoy using different loadouts in 4 for the whole game... restrict the use to only 2 or 3 weapons. Going back now the movement is a bit clunky, but it is still probably my favorite RE. Although 7 gives it a run for the money.

The soft opening in RE4 was the greatest thing in video games at the time of its release. Say what you want about the game years later but that pueblo before the main title was exhilarating the 1st time I played it.... and is still fun today.

If you want to go back and play, these guys are doing God's work: http://www.re4hd.com/

5 is great for online co-op. It is still fun to go back and play with a friend. Also the movement feels a lot better than 4. Upgrades are just generic number bumps and the setting is a step back from 4 imo.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@Telekill: I wouldn't say 5 is better than 4, but it has aged better. No surprise, as it was also released on more advanced hardware. I'd say that in 2019, no. 4 and 5 feel like equally good games

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Archangel3371  Online

I would pay top dollar if Capcom did a complete overhaul of the graphics in RE4 for next gen consoles.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#13 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts

How about they both (RE4 and RE5) suck and RE7 is best in series followed by RE2 remake??

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Telekill

@ghosts4ever: 🤢🤮

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Could it just be that you overplayed RE4 and even if you hadn't played it in a while it still lost some of its luster?

RE4 is really neat. Each new room/area is a "what's gonna happen next?" And sometimes the game really has some high points. Of course when you know what's coming next, the only thing you can do to change up the game is what weapons you choose to use.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever
@Telekill said:

but my friend, you never played RE7 because its in First person despite being best one, the most creepy one and only game in series that actually feel like a horror game.

RE4 was overrated. didnot like Lionardo Dicaprio saving president daughter but cant shoot while walking.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Telekill

@ghosts4ever: I played RE7 for a few hours on PSVR. It didn't feel like an RE game. Horror game... definitely. RE game... not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I really enjoyed 5 but nah 4 to me is still the goat of the series but I like RE5 more then RE7 also RE5 box art is extremely underrated anybody remember the cool hologram chainsaw guy?

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Litchie

@Archangel3371 said:

I’ve purchased and played both RE4 and RE5 multiple times and while I do think that RE5 is a very good game I enjoy RE4 more. Probably because I get a kick out of the campy humour in RE4.

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

I wonder how long Leon's comments will stick with me. xD

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Archangel3371  Online

@Litchie: You’re small time Saddler. 😅

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Litchie

@Archangel3371: lol

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#22 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Resident Evil 4 changed video games forever. The over the shoulder camera, QTE's- game was massive. I personally think its now dated and plays like junk. After the village the game really starts to get really dumb and arcade-y.

The Resident Evil 1 Remake is the finest entry and it is one of the best horror games ever made. 7 was a necessary reset button and a pretty good game as well.

Its a bizarre franchise. I cant name many franchises that completely changed gaming twice. RE 1 and then 4.

RE6, RE0, and CVX are absolutely awful.

TLDR, heres the order IMO:

REmake1, 7, 2, 4

The rest you can forget

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

"Resident Evil 4 is dated and plays like junk"

"REmake 1 is the finest entry in the series"

Lol?

Correct order is Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 7 > REmake 2 > REmake 1 > Resident Evil 1 > Resident Evil 2 >Resident Evil 3 > Code Veronica >>>>>>>>>>Resident Evil 5 >>>>>>>> Resident Evil 0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Resident Evil 6

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Telekill said:

but my friend, you never played RE7 because its in First person despite being best one, the most creepy one and only game in series that actually feel like a horror game.

RE4 was overrated. didnot like Lionardo Dicaprio saving president daughter but cant shoot while walking.

It's one of the most influential games made. So no. Although "QTE" being a positive is debatable. (it isn't)

Mechanically it's pretty far from perfect though.

It's the case with many Resident Evil games, be it easily running past enemies with segmented areas in the original to tank yourself up by the end, or in 4's case, abusing the shit out of headshot+kick+knife to make almost the entirely of the game moot.

Revelations (1) was the first game to fix alot of these problems, with Resident Evil 2 (remake) fixing practically every problem barring the uncreative "shoot the eye-ball" boss fights.

Such a better game than Metro.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghosts4ever

@pinkribbonscars said:

"Resident Evil 4 is dated and plays like junk"

"REmake 1 is the finest entry in the series"

Lol?

Correct order is Resident Evil 4 > Resident Evil 7 > REmake 2 > REmake 1 > Resident Evil 1 > Resident Evil 2 >Resident Evil 3 > Code Veronica >>>>>>>>>>Resident Evil 5 >>>>>>>> Resident Evil 0 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Resident Evil 6

and my rating is

RE7>>>>>>RE2 Remake>>>>>>>>>>>any other overrated crap in series>>>>>RE6

@uninspiredcup said:

Such a better game than Metro.

but you have not played new Metro yet.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#26  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Single-player:

RE4 > RE5

Multi-player:

RE5 > RE4

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11082 Posts

I've beaten RE4 MANY times over three platforms. In comparison, RE5 was a one and done for me, same as RE6. I think it's safe to say which one had more of an impact on me.