Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 8 - which is better?

• 82 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Resident Evil 7 or Resident Evil 8 - which is better? (47 votes)

Resident Evil 7 36%
Resident Evil 8 64%

I'm about 4 hours into RE8, so I'm still forming my opinion, but my initial impressions so far is that RE7 was much scarier and intense while RE8 is very action oriented, more along the lines of RE 4. I really like the presentation of 8..the visuals are amazing. I'll make my final call when I finish the game later this week. But for people who have made up their mind already, which is better between the two in your opinion?

• 
JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

7 is a much better Resi game, but 8 is a better overall in terms of game-iness.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Finally got my copy of the game in the mail today and have just started playing it so still way too early to tell. I do have a feeling that I’ll probably enjoy this one more as RE7 was kind of a “feeling out” process for them and this one seems like they’re a little more confident now throwing in more Resident Evil type stuff so to speak. I like that it takes inspiration from RE4 which is one of my all time favourite RE games. The Lycans seem like a fun new addition to the enemy roster.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I haven't beaten 8 yet but I'm over half way through for me Village is the winner I like the setting more and the focus on combat and the leveling up system.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

8 is a lot more fun than 7, so 8.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69457 Posts

More like which one is worse.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

I'm enjoying 8 more than 7 so far.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Huge fan of the series and i skipped the likes of RE6 (wish i skipped RE3R as well😖). You know what else i skipped completely? RE7. RE7 and RE8 aren't even comperable. RE7 felt like an Outlast expansion, not RE. RE8 feels like RE, but in first person, so the choice is pretty clear.

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

I haven't played 8 yet (waiting on VR support), but based on the setting alone I think I'll like it better. I'm a HUGE fan of old-world gothic environments.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I'm a couple of hours in and prefer RE8.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

Just beat the puppet lady! That was an interesting level to say the least. Right now leading towards 8 but will reserve judgement for now.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

From what little I played I definitely liked RE8 a lot more.

Capcom employed a lot of 'tricks' to make RE 7 scary.

Ethan crawls forward instead of walking or running. He puts one foot in front of the other at the speed of someone who is either really sleepy or drained of stamina.

I'm also not a huge fan of the vignette effect that Capcom put in all of its RE games. Where the screen is made darker and the sides of the screen are black.

Vignette on
Vignette on
Vignette off
Vignette off

I play with vignette off.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JasonOfA36

@R4gn4r0k said:

From what little I played I definitely liked RE8 a lot more.

Capcom employed a lot of 'tricks' to make RE 7 scary.

Ethan crawls forward instead of walking or running. He puts one foot in front of the other at the speed of someone who is either really sleepy or drained of stamina.

I'm also not a huge fan of the vignette effect that Capcom put in all of its RE games. Where the screen is made darker and the sides of the screen are black.

Vignette on
Vignette on
Vignette off
Vignette off

I play with vignette off.

Good thing the fluffy quack mod can remove the vignette effect. Makes the game look better.

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

I hope 8, because 7 wasn't that good.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24921 Posts

Started playing village. its less atmosphere than 7.

7 is still better imo. its more creepy and more scary. 8 is more action packed.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@jasonofa36 said:

Good thing the fluffy quack mod can remove the vignette effect. Makes the game look better.

I did it through a hex edit, along with removing sharpening. And one final hex edit is making the zombies animate at full speed, instead of them being forced to animate at 30fps.

Finally I used this mod, which was both hilarious and horrifying:

Loading Video...

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

RE8 and it totally blows RE7 right out the gate. I didn't expect RE8 to be Romania accurate on the setting, Capcom really outdone themselves. RE8 feels semi-open-world and I like it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

DC, RE:CV >>>>>>>>> All others. :P

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Didn't play RE7 (just the demo), and I really enjoy RE8 so far.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen  Online

I am beginning to think this is the best RE Capcom has ever made. It has all the elements of what i wanted a RE game to be, but none of them were. And i only just now got the rifle, so i imagine i have a ton of the game left to do.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Litchie

@hardwenzen said:

I am beginning to think this is the best RE Capcom has ever made. It has all the elements of what i wanted a RE game to be, but none of them were. And i only just now got the rifle, so i imagine i have a ton of the game left to do.

Iunno. I feel like what RE8 does, RE4 did better. Really enjoying RE8 so far though, and will reserve my judgement.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

Iunno. I feel like what RE8 does, RE4 did better. Really enjoying RE8 so far though, and will reserve my judgement.

RE4 had a dumb story and was too linear. Other than that, i feel like they're pretty samey. People saying how RE7 is better than RE8 is funny, tho. RE8 is so far ahead of RE7 that its almost like comparing apple to organges, even tho both games are from the same series and RE8 is a direct sequel.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

8, but I really feel like 7 is great, too. 8 carries much more RE4 vibes for me, which is not a bad thing.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

RE4 had a dumb story and was too linear. Other than that, i feel like they're pretty samey. People saying how RE7 is better than RE8 is funny, tho. RE8 is so far ahead of RE7 that its almost like comparing apple to organges, even tho both games are from the same series and RE8 is a direct sequel.

RE7 has more interesting villain the bakers. 8 doesnot.

still 8 is second best after 7. will judge once i will complete it.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Litchie

@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

I can understand that. I personally loved RE4's dumb and campy story. I find RE8's story not far behind in dumb, but lacking the campiness of RE4.

Regarding RE4 being linear, I'm a sucker for backtracking and finding secrets, and love that RE8 does this in a fun way. It might be better than RE4 in that regard.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

I can understand that. I personally loved RE4's dumb and campy story. I find RE8's story not far behind in dumb, but lacking the campiness of RE4.

Regarding RE4 being linear, I'm a sucker for backtracking and finding secrets, and love that RE8 does this in a fun way. It might be better than RE4 in that regard.

RE4 was terrible game even when it was released. never seen the apeal of it. you cant shoot while walk and its camera is so bad.

no way its better than village in any shape or form.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Litchie

@ghosts4ever said:

RE4 was terrible game even when it was released. never seen the apeal of it. you cant shoot while walk and its camera is so bad.

Huh. I didn't have any problems with the camera or that you couldn't walk while shooting. Guess I'm just better at videogames than you.

If you're gonna shit on the game, at least make some sense, like uninspiredcup.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen  Online

@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Litchie said:
@hardwenzen said:

I am as well, and RE8 does this real well compared to the others.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen  Online

@ghosts4ever:Wut? The Bakers are like what? 3 things? For over half the game all you're doing is running away from 3 things. How is this fun in any way? Where is the enemies variety? RE7 was shit.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Huh. I didn't have any problems with the camera or that you couldn't walk while shooting. Guess I'm just better at videogames than you.

you cannot walk while shooting. if you are shooting a zombie. you have to stop then aim then shoot and combat is so bad. its bad.

wanna better third person shooters? there was max payne avaible.

or horror third person? Alan wake blow RE4 out of water.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By hardwenzen  Online

@ghosts4ever said:
@Litchie said:
@ghosts4ever said:

you cannot walk while shooting. if you are shooting a zombie. you have to stop then aim then shoot and combat is so bad. its bad.

wanna better third person shooters? there was max payne avaible.

or horror third person? Alan wake blow RE4 out of water.

The enemies are slow af. Do you know how unblanced the older RE would've been if you were able to run n gun? Being stationary while shooting is a mechanic of the game. If you don't like it, fine, but you can't be asking for something that would destroy balance and tension.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

res 8,but its too easy.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Don't know what you're all talking about, I thought 7 was excellent :P They nailed the atmosphere they were going for. But I am def looking forward to playing 8 soon!

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Have to go with RE7, I beat RE8 last night and while everything past the Heisenberg area was on point, I didn't like the twist RE8 did that made RE7 a big wtf.

So the only saving graces RE8 had was the Heisenberg area, what happens after that which is probably one of my favorite moments in RE When you get to play as Chris and he's just OP as hell , also the fact I have a 6 month old daughter as well so the game hit me hard on certain moments when myself as a father what I would do for my daughter

RE8 was great the first hour and great the last hour, everything else felt like crap. While RE7 I pretty much enjoyed all of it and they brought a new character Ethan into the series which has been itching for a new character with all of the Leon, Chris, Clair, Jill it felt good to have a new character be in more than one game.

edit:

Also people leaked who the person was at the end of the credits, if it's true then RE8 will be redeemed. Don't watch if you didn't beat the game.

Loading Video...

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

I haven't even played The Village but already the action focus sounds better than the slow burn of RE7.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 hardwenzen  Online

@lamprey263 said:

I haven't even played The Village but already the action focus sounds better than the slow burn of RE7.

Its miles better. Puzzles and exploration is also a shitload better.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen  Online

Anyone else is offended when she and her sisters are calling you "manthing"? I feel like its too much for 2021 standards.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

The opening of this game is awful. It's like Halflife: Alyx without the fun interactivity and combined with a made for tv drama starring Dean Cain.

The characters are shit and interacting with the stuff is bland as all hell.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I haven't played either but 8 looks much more appealing to me

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup  Online
Cinematic  Walking
Cinematic Walking

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 uninspiredcup  Online

So in the opening, you hold down the "W" key for 5 minutes. Go hobbling into a cabin. To find nothing of value. Only for the game to direct the player outside again after a dead end.

Wtf was the point of this?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

I just beat the fish dude. It was alright. Reminded me of the RE4 lake boss fight. Next up, Heisenberg tomorrow!

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JasonOfA36

@uninspiredcup said:

So in the opening, you hold down the "W" key for 5 minutes. Go hobbling into a cabin. To find nothing of value. Only for the game to direct the player outside again after a dead end.

Wtf was the point of this?

Yeah, but it's like RE7 too anyway. First 5 minutes is a walking sim. Then again, there are a lot of cutscenes in RE8. And I mean, a lot. Good thing they're skippable.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 uninspiredcup  Online

Static environments are full of static objects. Nothing interactable.

Even Halflife 2 had more interactivity than this, let alone Alyx.

Some next gen shit right there.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hardwenzen  Online

@uninspiredcup said:

Static environments are full of static objects. Nothing interactable.

Even Halflife 2 had more interactivity than this, let alone Alyx.

Some next gen shit right there.

Been saying this since RE2R. This engine has less physics than IdTech7, another engine with laughable physics.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

@Pedro said:

More like which one is worse.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#48 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69457 Posts

@ivangrozny: Seemed like my comment got the best of you.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#49  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Sadly, I've just received the review I've been waiting for, from the only person I personally trust to review horror games (I based my final purchase decision for The Medium on this guy's review, for example), and he confirmed what I've long suspected. They took RE7 and RE4 and smashed them together then split the difference, creating a mess of a game that has failed to execute the best elements of both RE4 and RE7.

And boy that Prologue is contrived. Don't want to spoil anything, but I sort of already figured it out just from the trailers, so I just nodded nonchalantly when I went to find out if my suspicion was confirmed - which it was. Let's just say so much bloody trouble could have been saved by someone just taking one moment to say three single-syllable words at any point in that Prologue.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

@Pedro:

No. Just kidding.