Resident Evil 4 Wii review (EuroGamer)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

Just to add to the Resident Evil posts (since there's no other interesting games coming out this week,) here is Eurogamer's review (for perspective they gave the original GC release a 9/10.) Bolded some of the more fanboy-friendly parts and put the article's pics in there for the benefit of the lazy. Looks like the controls really spoiled the experience for this reviewer:

You might remember a game called Resident Evil 4. You might remember it because when it came out on the GameCube it was an instant action c lassic, reinvigorating the Resident Evil series and bringing it right up to date with a massive bang (and then a sort of slippery noise as an exploded head drenched the floor). Then, when it came out on the PlayStation 2 with extra content, it took one look at the law of diminishing returns and gave it a massive roundhouse kick to the head, to became even more of an action c lassic, full of moody camera-cuts, conspiracy-theory cultists, shambling, leprous villagers, and some of the most heart-stopping set-pieces and frantic firefights in videogame history.

You might remember, too, that one of Resident Evil 4's improvements over previous games in the series was a new, improved control scheme. It granted players direct control over Leon Kennedy (and an assortment of others), and introduced precision aiming. Which is where Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition comes in. It enters with a quick nunchuk to the ribs, followed by a dagger slash to the throat to establish the definitive version of the game: like it was on the GameCube and the PlayStation 2 but with an even newer, more improved control scheme, thanks to Nintendo's universally accessible Wiimote.

Except it doesn't. It actually just trips over its own feet and flies off the wriststrap through your mum's window. Because it doesn't feature an improved control scheme, it features the opposite: a worse control scheme. Here's what Kristan had to say about the game when it came out on the Playstation 2: "Being able to aim quickly and with precision is the key to enjoying Resi 4 - because that's pretty much the bulk of what you'll be doing throughout the game as you fend off a succession of demented plague-ridden Spanish villagers." Well the bulk of what you'll be doing throughout the game is still fending off a succession of demented plague-ridden Spanish villagers. It's just you won't be able to aim quickly or with precision, so it's slightly more difficult to enjoy Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

Here's how the controls work: you move with the analogue stick on the nunchuk, and you hold down the Z trigger (the one on the nunchuk) to run. To turn quickly you press the Z trigger and down on the analogue stick. Holding down the B trigger (the one on the Wiimote) brings up the targeting reticule (which, you'll notice is much bigger than in previous versions on the game - a testament to how difficult it can be to aim. More on that later). Pressing the action button, A, fires your weapon. And you can open up your menus and maps using the other buttons on the face of the Wiimote, and adjust the camera using the d-pad. That all seems pretty straightforward.

The problem is that the aiming process is an uneasy conjunction between pointing the Wiimote and twiddling the analogue stick. You'll point the Wiimote at things you want to shoot, but this is a wobbly, fuzzy experience, compared to the precision of the previous versions of the game. And you'll twiddle the analogue stick to steer the screen round if you want to aim at something to the edge of your view or off-screen. And because you can't move the camera round with the Wiimote the absence of a strafe function and the slow turning speed and the impossibility of shooting while moving feel even more backward and annoying than they did the last time around.

The disjoint between the analogue stick and the Wiimote also reduces knife combat to a horrible random confusion of spazzing around trying to line targets up without ending up staring at the ground, or up at the sky. It's actually possible to quickly wield your knife by just waving the Wiimote, which sounds nice until you try it and it barely registers your wrist action. Which is problematic, because that's the exact motion that you use to reload your weapons, too. And then there are the interactive cut-scenes, which now require you to shake the controller around and press buttons instead of just pressing buttons. Which might just be a cosmetic change, but it is a fairly annoying cosmetic change.

Apart from that, it's exactly what you'd expect from Resident Evil 4: a hokey conspiracy plot, corny voiceacting, kidnapped president's daughter rescued by a solitary agent, red herbs, green herbs, yellow herbs, inventory management, maps, the occasional puzzle, and lots of files left around detailing the nefarious plans of some mental evil types. Most importantly, it's still one magnificent set-piece after another, and all the neat touches are present and intact (including one that I hadn't noticed before: the cows sound like a distant chainsaw). So it's still decent enough, if you can get your head round the controls.

And if you can get your head round the game's appearance. Because now that our eyes are capable of seeing more pixels, the visuals feel a bit out of date. Even though it runs in widescreen in progressive scan, like the PS2 version, it still looks dated next to newer high definition games, and especially if you're playing it on a high definition telly. The art s tyle still has its own unique charm, obviously. It's just that part of that appeal was the crisply detailed textures and whizzo lighting effects. They're not so whizzo now that our eyes have adjusted to the future.

Maybe I'm being unkind. Maybe this review is nothing more than the out-of-date opinions of a gaming dinosaur, out of touch with the general gamer. Maybe Wii's target audience will take to this like a duck to water, unburdened by hands that are semi-permanently contorted into a dual-stick controller grasp. Maybe it is, as many people are saying, the definitive version of the definitive game in Capcom's superb survival horror series. But they're not writing this review. I am, and in my opinion, bolting on an unwieldy Wii control scheme adds nothing to the game; it just makes it slightly worse.

Since it's only £25, you might as well take a punt if you haven't already played it. It's just a shame that one of the best ever action games has become another casualty of the Wii controller. Indeed, for a controller that was supposed to herald a new dawn of inclusive gaming there are a lot of third-party publishers who have yet to get their heads round it. Presumably, when they decided to create a Wii version of Resident Evil 4, Capcom envisaged an even more inclusive version of the best ever action game. What they got is a game that now looks dated, and plays exactly the same but with worse controls. Not exactly a new dawn.

7 / 10Eurogamer

Has anyone read EGM's review? Anyone know why they gave it AA (when they gave the original a 9.8?)

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#2 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26096 Posts

This is old, and creates more confusin than there already is.

Just like Zelda TP.

The nostalgia factor was that made it almost a perfect score (on some of them it was), but for others it is what flopped it.

MaxxxReebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MaxxxReebo
Member since 2005 • 1340 Posts
Famitsu > EuroGamer
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bill_McBlumpkin

Just like Zelda TP.

The nostalgia factor was that made it almost a perfect score (on some of them it was), but for others it is what flopped it.

Willy105

"The nostalgia factor" isn't what flopped this game according to the review, it was the lackluster control scheme. It's clear the reviewer was, and still is, a huge fan of the original version.

kman3002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 kman3002
Member since 2006 • 1440 Posts

That's odd pretty much all the sites i've been to gave the game great reviews is this a good game magazine in Europe?

humaneater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 humaneater
Member since 2006 • 380 Posts
Game Informer gave it a 9.5
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bill_McBlumpkin

Famitsu > EuroGamerMaxxxReebo

Dunno, the orignal GC has tons and tons of reviews and it didn't receive a single score (according to GR) under 80%, and only 3 under 90%.

Right now it only has about 4 or 5 reviews and already the Wii version has a 70% (EuroGGamer)and a mid-80's score (EGM, and they gave the original almost 10's across the board, I think theEGM score averaged out to be something like 98% for the first one.).

firestorm91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 firestorm91
Member since 2006 • 4538 Posts
OK, it seems too hard, I don't want this game anymore.
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Bill_McBlumpkin

OK, it seems too hard, I don't want this game anymore.firestorm91

Have you played the original?

It's one of the best games of all time.

Don't know what to think about the Wii version though.... I haven't played it yet. Looks like I'll know within the next couple of days, but so far the reviews have been a mixed bag (this wasn't the case for the first, it was universally acclaimed.)

sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

Has anyone read EGM's review? Anyone know why they gave it AA (when they gave the original a 9.8?)

Bill_McBlumpkin

The reason many of the scores are 9s instead of 10s isn't because of the controls, but because it's essentially the same as a two-year-old game. Without any extras above what the PS2 version had, nobody gave it a 10.

arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 arinya
Member since 2006 • 1054 Posts
  • GameSpy (100/100) found themselves a perfect game: "The reason that the Wii version is the best is because the new control system makes the gameplay more enjoyable. Using both the Wii remote and the nunchuck, players will be able to perform all of the regular moves and attacks from before, only now they can do them in a more sensitive, accurate and pleasing fashion."
  • CVG (93/100) thinks the game has been improved: "It has the looks, it has the compelling level design, and it has the scary bits. Check, then: this is Resident Evil 4 all over again, but slightly better."
  • EGM (87/100) finds the new control scheme to be for the better: "Though they suffer a bit when things get hectic, the Wii-mote-enabled controls generally serve RE4 well: Aiming weapons, swiping your knife, and shaking off face-sucking nasties with real-world moves adds urgency to an already incredibly intense experience." [July 2007, p.82]
  • EuroGamer (70/100) says the Wiimote controls hurt the game: "It's just a shame that one of the best ever action games has become another casualty of the Wii controller. Indeed, for a controller that was supposed to herald a new dawn of inclusive gaming there are a lot of third-party publishers who have yet to get their heads round it."

Sorry for reposting but some ppl find the controls hard and other easy. Oddly enough I guess it's something that the Wii will just have to live with. I find the controls really easy to use by I have a friend that tries to hard when we are playing golf and just cannot get the controls to work for him.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Wow didn't expect that. Still will buy it though. :P
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bill_McBlumpkin
[QUOTE="Bill_McBlumpkin"]

sonicmj1

The reason many of the scores are 9s instead of 10s isn't because of the controls, but because it's essentially the same as a two-year-old game. Without any extras above what the PS2 version had, nobody gave it a 10.

That's not completelytrue, I haven't read EGM reviews yet but the people who rate it poorly that I've read say the controls are actually worse than the original (read Eurogamer's review,) the people that rate it highly say the opposite. The EGM average turned out to be under 9, as well.

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts

What the hell are you doing you idiot Dr. Salvador is right there and you are aiming at a woman?

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
  • GameSpy (100/100) found themselves a perfect game: "The reason that the Wii version is the best is because the new control system makes the gameplay more enjoyable. Using both the Wii remote and the nunchuck, players will be able to perform all of the regular moves and attacks from before, only now they can do them in a more sensitive, accurate and pleasing fashion."
  • CVG (93/100) thinks the game has been improved: "It has the looks, it has the compelling level design, and it has the scary bits. Check, then: this is Resident Evil 4 all over again, but slightly better."
  • EGM (87/100) finds the new control scheme to be for the better: "Though they suffer a bit when things get hectic, the Wii-mote-enabled controls generally serve RE4 well: Aiming weapons, swiping your knife, and shaking off face-sucking nasties with real-world moves adds urgency to an already incredibly intense experience." [July 2007, p.82]
  • EuroGamer (70/100) says the Wiimote controls hurt the game: "It's just a shame that one of the best ever action games has become another casualty of the Wii controller. Indeed, for a controller that was supposed to herald a new dawn of inclusive gaming there are a lot of third-party publishers who have yet to get their heads round it."

Sorry for reposting but some ppl find the controls hard and other easy. Oddly enough I guess it's something that the Wii will just have to live with. I find the controls really easy to use by I have a friend that tries to hard when we are playing golf and just cannot get the controls to work for him.

arinya
So basically its EGM, CVG, and GameSpy against EuroGamer.
Hmm... I'll side with the ones that didn't give Gears of War an 8/10.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"][QUOTE="Bill_McBlumpkin"]

Bill_McBlumpkin

That's not completelytrue, I haven't read EGM reviews yet but the people who rate it poorly that I've read say the controls are actually worse than the original (read Eurogamer's review,) the people that rate it highly say the opposite. The EGM average turned out to be under 9, as well.

I have read the EGM reviews, and when I said 'nobody gave it a 10', I was referring to the EGM reviews. None of the reviewers say the controls are strictly worse (though the one that is an 8 implies it), and none really rave about the controls. However, one of the 9 reviews complains about a lack of extra content, which could have made that 9 become a 10.

FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

What the hell are you doing you idiot Dr. Salvador is right there and you are aiming at a woman?

Riviera_Phantom

:lol:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I bet not 0.1 seconds from when that shot was taken Leons head was gone. :lol:

Anyway, I actually just got done playing Resident Evil 4 on my PS2. I'm playing on Professional. And you really need the precision aiming to hit people in the shin, then supplex them to save ammo. And it needs to be done fast.

So if it's really true that it's less precise and slower to aim on the Wii, then I would have to agree with the reviewer.

Avatar image for Riviera_Phantom
Riviera_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 Riviera_Phantom
Member since 2006 • 3658 Posts

lol @ this RE4 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-R70J3sKI

Tamarind_Face

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tamarind_Face
Member since 2007 • 2270 Posts
who cares? its a freaking 3 yr old game, if anyone hasnt even played this game... you need to quit gaming.
AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
Other reviewers disagree. And besides, TP used the same aiming controls as RE4, and I didn't have any trouble with it at all. In fact, using the control stick to move the camera makes it easier to aim because you don't need to move the crosshairs all over the place.
FearlessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FearlessSpirit
Member since 2007 • 2015 Posts

lol @ this RE4 trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-R70J3sKI

Riviera_Phantom

:lol:

I doubt people get excited to play it from that. Some baby sucking on a Ganados' breasts? Doesn't seem like a great selling point to me.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="Willy105"]

Just like Zelda TP.

Bill_McBlumpkin

"The nostalgia factor" isn't what flopped this game according to the review, it was the lackluster control scheme. It's clear the reviewer was, and still is, a huge fan of the original version.

The other review sites and mags seem to disagree.

Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bill_McBlumpkin

Some baby sucking on a Ganados' breasts? Doesn't seem like a great selling point to me.FearlessSpirit

DISAGREED.

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

What's this even supposed to mean? You can just point at the guy to the right; you don't need to move the camera at all.

Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bill_McBlumpkin
[QUOTE="Bill_McBlumpkin"][QUOTE="Willy105"]

Just like Zelda TP.

mjarantilla

The other review sites and mags seem to disagree.

Exactly, which is why I specifically posted the EuroGamer review in which what I said is true.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious, though.

By the way, the sun'll rise tomorrow.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="FearlessSpirit"]Some baby sucking on a Ganados' breasts? Doesn't seem like a great selling point to me.Bill_McBlumpkin

DISAGREED.

That was a freaky trailer, I liked it.