Report: Activision kicks Sledgehammer Games to the curb

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#1 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4751 posts) -

Sledgehammer? Meet axe, because you just got it. After three CoD games, Acti decided they had enough and pulled the rug out from under their latest CoD title, handing the reigns of the 2020 game to Treyarch instead.

After almost two years of developing the new Call of Duty game SledgeHammer have come up short with delivering anything close to resembling a playable game. Activision are not happy and have pulled the plug on SledgeHammer’s game, and sacked the developers. All eyes are on Treyarch now as the burden is on them to release Black Ops 5 in early 2020. But is that such a bad thing?

https://www.sausageroll.com.au/entertainment/games/activision-fires-sledgehammer-a-blessing-in-disguise/

Well, what's next for this studio? Time to give Phil Spencer a call and see if they're hiring.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18985 posts) -

Good ol' Activision.

#3 Posted by Archangel3371 (28138 posts) -

Heard earlier that they called in Treyarch to help out with the game, didn’t realize that they actually axed Sledgehammer. So is Raven gone as well? I wonder what this will do for the cycle of the franchise and if they’ll find another developer so they get back to the 3 dev/3 year cycle. I don’t know why Sledgehammer and Raven had such a problem with developing the game though. You would think that they’d have the development of these games pretty well nailed down by now and 3 years seems like it would be a decent amount of time to work on them.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#4 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3244 posts) -

I’m pretty sure Battle Royale is still throwing some devs for a curve. That and it’s time to dump the COD campaigns altogether. They are expensive, boring and make little sense as of late. And look at the trophy/achievement completion rates. People do not play those campaigns.

#5 Posted by npiet1 (2312 posts) -

Never really liked sledgehammers COD, Treyarch always had the better COD. Probably because I love Zombies though.

#6 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

Did their COD games not sell?

I thought COD sold millions every year.

They were a proven dev I would guess. Getting a new studio to develope your flagship annual title is a bit risky.

#7 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

Activision is destroying another one of their franchises with constant milking and bad management. I'm just gonna stand here and watch the train wreck.

#8 Posted by I_P_Daily (12031 posts) -

There's a reason I call them CRAPtivision, they destroyed Bizarre Creations and swore I would never give that company another cent.

#9 Edited by watercrack445 (1660 posts) -

Sledgehammer and Infinity Ward are sinking ships cause some of the devs left both those studios. Now, Activision only trust Treyarch. The devs at Treyarch would probably leave to, maybe after this 2020 game.

#10 Posted by Sevenizz (3904 posts) -

That’s a shame. I really liked Advanced Warfare as it was the last CoD I actually put effort into the multiplayer.

#11 Posted by npiet1 (2312 posts) -

@watercrack445: I honestly wouldn't mind that. They're solid Devs just stuck making the same crap over and over. Would be cool to see what they would do if they were given a free range for once.

#12 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

Ti me to retire CoD.

#13 Posted by dotWithShoes (5541 posts) -

@Archangel3371 said:

Heard earlier that they called in Treyarch to help out with the game, didn’t realize that they actually axed Sledgehammer. So is Raven gone as well? I wonder what this will do for the cycle of the franchise and if they’ll find another developer so they get back to the 3 dev/3 year cycle. I don’t know why Sledgehammer and Raven had such a problem with developing the game though. You would think that they’d have the development of these games pretty well nailed down by now and 3 years seems like it would be a decent amount of time to work on them.

All the reports I have seen said that Treyarch would be lead and Sledgehammer and Raven software would be support. The fact that the article doesn't even mention Raven makes me question the validity of this one.

#14 Posted by BassMan (10378 posts) -

Sledgehammer hasn't really done fuk all anyway. The founders were the guys from Visceral and they already left. So, the studio is only known for COD now. Let them work on a new IP. Those developers need to replenish their souls.

#15 Posted by Epak_ (10675 posts) -

The devs probably just burnt out making COD all the time and committed a..... career-a-cide (LUL).

#17 Posted by Gamerno6666 (6803 posts) -

Welp time for another hefty bonus for the ceo.

#18 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31202 posts) -

*Shorter development times

*Cut out features (singleplayer)

*More microtransactions

=Profit

#19 Posted by PC_Rocks (2491 posts) -

Wait they can't do a reskin after copy-paste?