Remember When The X1 Was Being Made Fun of For Being a Media Console?

• 89 results
ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/09/10/playstation-5-media-remote-disney-netflix/

This is hilarious after sony fanboys spent all these years making fun of the OG xbox one for being a media console. Now Sony seems to be doing the same thing.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2 Phlop_Spencer
Member since 2020 • 1476 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/09/10/playstation-5-media-remote-disney-netflix/

This is hilarious after sony fanboys spent all these years making fun of the OG xbox one for being a media console. Now Sony seems to be doing the same thing.

this is totally not the same thing. PS3 had a remote, PS4 had a remote and now the PS5 does. The difference is that the OG xbox one was a dogshit media console and games console. It failed at both.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

The Xbox One had an HDMI In port for TV and had TV features built into the OS. The PS5's media remote is optional just like it's always been.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ThatDBFan

@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:

this is totally not the same thing. PS3 had a remote, PS4 had a remote and now the PS5 does. The difference is that the OG xbox one was a dogshit media console and games console. It failed at both.

Idk man, my OG Xbox One was pretty good at being a media console. Also, the PS3 and PS4 did not have media remotes. It was PS Move, a motion remote for games.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zero_epyon

Seems like those buttons can be reassigned since the streaming app's logo isn't labeled on the remote.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zero_epyon

btw

Loading Video...

lol

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThatDBFan

@Zero_epyon said:

The Xbox One had an HDMI In port for TV and had TV features built into the OS. The PS5's media remote is optional just like it's always been.

No one was making you use an OG Xbox One as a media system. Using the Xbox One's TV features was optional as well.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ThatDBFan

@Zero_epyon said:

btw

Loading Video...

lol

Yes, Xbox One's reveal was a bust. I agree.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zero_epyon

@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:

No one was making you use an OG Xbox One as a media system. Using the Xbox On'es TV features was optional as well.

This is true. However, MS totally wanted you too. In fact, some of the TV functions were tied to Kinect which they made people buy until they removed it.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ThatDBFan

@Zero_epyon said:
@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:

No one was making you use an OG Xbox One as a media system. Using the Xbox On'es TV features was optional as well.

This is true. However, MS totally wanted you too. In fact, some of the TV functions were tied to Kinect which they made people buy until they removed it.

Ok that last part is true. But you didn't have to use it as a media system. I (like many others did), because it didn't have a whole lot of 1st party games.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7141 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

who made in front of xbox for a media remote or media console? ps3 had one and the ps4.

sony was doing the same thing before xbox any ways so why on earth would we make in front of xbox for doing it?

these systems has been a media console sense ps2 as a dvd player to play movies.

hence why there called entertainment systems.

I like the fact i can play movies and netflix etc. on consoles.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

A remote control some how = the shit MS did of TV TV TV with HDMI in?

Can you hook your cable box to the PS5?

Desperation is a stinky cologne.

You do know there is a media control for PS4 as well right?

https://www.playstation.com/en-au/explore/accessories/universal-media-remote-for-playstation-4/

I am sure there will be one for the series X as well.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Yeah, definitely different scenarios. Hell, the PS2 had a DVD drive, and the PS1 a CD drive... They weren't overtly seen as media consoles. You could definitely make the argument that initial PS3 purchases could have been as BR players, due to the price point in comparison to players at the time, but good luck proving that.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zero_epyon

@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:

Ok that last part is true. But you didn't have to use it as a media system. I (like many others did), because it didn't have a whole lot of 1st party games.

Same for basically every PlayStation. Probably going to be the same for PS5. This is not a biggie.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

@gifford38 said:

who made in front of xbox for a media remote or media console? ps3 had one and the ps4.

sony was doing the same thing before xbox any ways so why on earth would we make in front of xbox for doing it?

these systems has been a media console sense ps2 as a dvd player to play movies.

The Xbox One on SW was quite heavily criticized for being a "media console." I'm interpreting your "in front" to mean "make fun of," as English likely isn't your first language, so please correct me if I misunderstood.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Phlop_Spencer

@thatdbfan said:
@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:

Idk man, my OG Xbox One was pretty good at being a media console. Also, the PS3 and PS4 did not have media remotes. It was PS Move, a motion remote for games.

PS3 media remote:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/accessories/media-blu-ray-disc-remote-control-ps3/

PS4 media remote:

https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/accessories/universal-media-remote-for-playstation-4/

another dumdum lemming fails again

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ThatDBFan

LMAO I managed to troll two of the biggest Sony fans on this forum into being aggressively on the defensive. I'd dsay that's pretty good for not making threads very often.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
@thatdbfan said:
@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:

https://www.playstation.com/en-au/explore/accessories/universal-media-remote-for-playstation-4/

@thatdbfan said:
@Zero_epyon said:

No one was making you use an OG Xbox One as a media system. Using the Xbox One's TV features was optional as well.

You don't know what the word optional mean right? The xbox one was BUILT around media,it had HDMI in and features,in fact many lemmings here actually bragged about that shit in 2013.

And i know because i complained why the fu** would you have 3 devices on to do a job 2 devices could do?

So TV on cable box on.

Lemmings were TV one,xbox one on,TV box on passing through HDMI.

Is stupid and redundant.

The PS4 remote wasn't included the xbox one features were include,regardless of you using them or not,which mean one was optional and one was included,just lik Kinect was forced on YOU regardless of you using it or not.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ThatDBFan

@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:

LMAO I managed to troll two of the biggest Sony fans on this forum into being aggressively on the defensive. I'd dsay that's pretty good for not making threads very often.

nice try using that excuse for being dumb.

Seems like you're projecting a bit.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@thatdbfan: pfft, get on level of trolling.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThatDBFan

@Ant_17 said:

@thatdbfan: pfft, get on level of trolling.

Hey, I didn't say I was great, but it's working.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7141 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:
@gifford38 said:

The Xbox One on SW was quite heavily criticized for being a "media console." I'm interpreting your "in front" to mean "make fun of," as English likely isn't your first language, so please correct me if I misunderstood.

no my English sucks lol. i always had a hard time typing what my brain is saying and always comes out differently than what is in my head. always been one of my flaws. my grammar sucks to.

i always had a hard time with this. i can't spell to save my life.

what funny is English is the only language i know. thank god for spell check lol but sometimes spell check doesn't even know what word im trying to spell thats how bad i am with it lol.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Thank OP for sharing the link for the remote. I wasn't sure if sony was going to make remote, but i really want it

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

0/10

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

I loathe those dedicated service buttons.

I 3d printed a new shell for my Roku remotes just so I could rip them off of the PCB.

No, you PoS. I don't want to switch to fucking Netflix.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ThatDBFan

@clone01 said:

0/10

Maybe, but it attracted the cows.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ThatDBFan
@daredevils2k said:

Thank OP for sharing the link for the remote. I wasn't sure if sony was going to make remote, but i really want it

Always here to lend a helping hand.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

For being a "media console", the XB1 sure sucks at media. I just plugged in an external HDD to my brother's XB1 last night, to try to watch some old movies I have that I can't find on streaming services. The thing couldn't play anything. It wanted me to search the store for an app to play mpeg and avi files. PS4 never had an issue with that. Played anything I wanted, right out of the box, no set up.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@thatdbfan: Whelp this thread sure backfired on you lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#34 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69364 Posts

@clone01 said:

0/10

You can't give it 0/10. Its bringing in the herd.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11053 Posts

@thatdbfan said:

That's the problem, Xbox was okay for media, but shit for games. Well, here we are in a new gen and the games issue still lingers. What's the god damn deal?

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

Not the same thing. MS was basically trying to sell a tv decoder that could play games. While Sony is marketing a game console that can be used as a media player as an option. The PS3 was a great media streaming device for it's time with the PS3 media server, but it wasn't really marketed as one. Just a BD player and game console. Now however, if you have a modern tv it does media streaming just fine, but it's great to have options.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50547 Posts

Totally over someone's head.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ThatDBFan

@vfighter said:

@thatdbfan: Whelp this thread sure backfired on you lol.

No, it's achieving exactly what I wanted.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ThatDBFan
@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:
@phlop_spencer said:
@thatdbfan said:

nice try using that excuse for being dumb.

Seems like you're projecting a bit.

Nah, you're just dumb and are too embarrassed to abort mission so you're doubling down, which makes you look even more dumb.

You couldn't spot a troll thread, so here you are projecting.

I hope you don't charge Phil Spencer for that big space in your head.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I love these kinda things.

I had PS2 DVD Remote

I had the Game Gear TV Tuner for watching late night TV in my room

I love this kinda stuff I dunno who would hate it give me that disney+ button and the Netflix button.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ThatDBFan
@the_bi99man said:

For being a "media console", the XB1 sure sucks at media. I just plugged in an external HDD to my brother's XB1 last night, to try to watch some old movies I have that I can't find on streaming services. The thing couldn't play anything. It wanted me to search the store for an app to play mpeg and avi files. PS4 never had an issue with that. Played anything I wanted, right out of the box, no set up.

Never experienced this issue. My One was a great media box. However, my PS4 refuses to read CDs. MS beat Sony in the entertainment system department of this gen. Wish I would've kept my One so I could still play games and also listen to music, as well as watch movies. Sad job Sony, sad job.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ThatDBFan
@BenjaminBanklin said:
@thatdbfan said:

That's the problem, Xbox was okay for media, but shit for games. Well, here we are in a new gen and the games issue still lingers. What's the god damn deal?

At least I could watch movies, listen to music, and play those sweet multiplats and the MCC on my OG One. My PS4 refuses to play CDs. Great gaming system, shit media system, the PS4 is. Sony needs to step up their game here if they wanna compete with MS.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By deactivated-60bf765068a74

@thatdbfan said:
@the_bi99man said:

Never experienced this issue. My One was a great media box. However, my PS4 refuses to read CDs. MS beat Sony in the entertainment system department of this gen. Wish I would've kept my One so I could still play games and also listen to music, as well as watch movies. Sad job Sony, sad job.

Xbox one didn't even come with blu-ray player app I had to download one off the xb1 store to be able to play blu-rays.

I had the same problem as him my xb1 video player app couldn't play a lot of my media files that were on my PC.

I was trying to watch porn and some movies on my big screen TV through the xb1 linked my PC on my home network. Like I said it would not play the files my PS4 has an still does. Its a better media machine for me.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ThatDBFan

@ProtossRushX said:
@thatdbfan said:
@the_bi99man said:

Xbox one didn't even come with blu-ray player app I had to download one off the xb1 store to be able to play blu-rays.

I had the same problem as him my xb1 video player app couldn't play a lot of my media files that were on my PC.

I was trying to watch porn on my big screen TV through the xb1 like I said it would not play the files my PS4 has an still does.

Good to know you buy game consoles to watch porn.

It didn't hurt to download the Blu ray player. Was easy as 123. Still having trouble playing those CDs on my PS4. Sony is really lacking here.

Phlop_Spencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Phlop_Spencer

@thatdbfan: xbone couldn’t even send proper signals to 7.1 surround sound. It would mix up the back channels.

Pretty pathetic machine overall, almost as pathetic as its fanbase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-60bf765068a74

@phlop_spencer said:

@thatdbfan: xbone couldn’t even send proper signals to 7.1 surround sound. It would mix up the back channels.

OMG something like that happened to me I had HDMI Splitter and the xbox one wasn't powering it up so I had to make my PS4 the main device to get power to the splitter so it would turn on. Xbox one was trash dude.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1847 Posts

No. The Xbox One was a gaming console that tried to make television and media their main selling point. The PS5 has games as the main selling point, while the media and television are other fun options for gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@phlop_spencer said:

Pretty funny coming from you quack, how many alts are you up to now? gotta be at least 6 and all of them cry that people are taking the piss out of your Godny lol

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

The PlayStation 2 could play movies and had a controller too. Pretty much every PlayStation has been a media center. I believe the Xbox One was made fun of because of that “TV TV TV” E3 reveal the Xbox One had.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I remember Vue, then I saw headline in recent past of Vue shutting down. Who'd of thought a streaming TV/movie service couldn't thrive by locking itself exclusively behind PS4 hardware?