Remember when the late Roger Ebert said "video games can never be art"?

• 105 results
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#101 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Juub1990: interesting take, I like that.

If a game is boring and a slog to play through I don’t think it’s a work of art in its medium.

I dated an artist in the early 2000s and I remember going back to her place the first time. I enjoyed some of her paintings and sculptures but then she put on music she had made. It sounded like someone banging pots together with power tools running in the background. When asked I told her “sorry Jean but this is shit”. It isn’t art imo just because it’s original and other people at her fancy art college “get it”.

I think that applies to other forms as well.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1678 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Don’t know how he’d react I know I wouldn’t give a ****.

There is art in gaming. Anybody saying otherwise is an idiot. However gaming isn’t strictly art and can never be just that. They incorporate elements of art but are still games which in no way diminishes their artistic merits.

Very well said. I find myself in full agreement with this statement.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@i_p_daily said:
@Juub1990 said:

These aren't mutually exclusive. Why aren't they art?

Because they are different elements put together to create a video game where one plays the game, not pays a cash amount to just sit and stare at the cover.

If a medium is made up almost entirely of artistic elements, how is it not art? Is a movie not art either? A movie consists of actors, scripts, props, effects in some cases, and a whole lot of effort just for someone to sit there and watch it for a couple of hours. What is it about games that make it different enough to not be art?

If we go that way then everything can be considered art because everything was designed by someone, a bridge was drawn up before construction so its art, cars where made by designers therefore art, it never ends.

To me games are made up from artist etc, but are not used for the intent that "art" is.

If you think its art then more power to you, but the only reason this has been brought up is because reviewers are calling DS things like frustrating, not fun, a slog etc, but need an excuse to score it highly, thus you are using things like art and saying he's created a new genre when we all know its BS.

To me video game art is when games come with extra features that allow you to look at some of the artwork used to create the game in a bonus menu within the game.

The key is that it's designed for entertainment. A bridge is designed to be a utility, not entertainment. Music is an art form because it provides entertainment. So do movies, paintings, etc. So what is it about video games that make them not art?

So you're saying that if it provides entertainment its considered art, as that's what you're arguing right now.

So if someone gets entertained by murdering people, then murder must be art, see what I mean by it never ends???

Anything can be considered art by your reasonings as long as its entertaining.

For me, and just me I find that video games are not art. If you consider them to be then i'm happy for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@uninspiredcup: I was going to do what you did to zero with my bridge analogy, and at least you can see what I was referring to.

this whole art debate is silly, as anything can be considered art these days depending on who you are and your view.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

@uninspiredcup: I was going to do what you did to zero with my bridge analogy, and at least you can see what I was referring to.

this whole art debate is silly, as anything can be considered art these days depending on who you are and your view.

Yeah, which is why I ask again, who the hell cares? Categorizing the stuff I consume into art and non-art would serve me no purpose.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#106 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

In general to this board and threads like this, I suggest reading anything art history. Or start with a podcast -- something easy to digest. I am happy to suggest some.

Otherwise, try not to bring it into a discussion of video games other than acknowledging that it exists.