SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

I thought Phil was Mr Good Guy, wants as many gamers as possibly to play MS games? This is another reason why we should oppose the Activision deal - am I rite, SW?

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 498 Posts

I thought it's been common knowledge on gamespot for years now that VGC is not a credible source? or am I wrong?

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

Umm did we think that MS would continue to fund projects for the ps5 unless some deal was signed??

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2503 Posts

I am sure all of Bethesda's projects were originally envisioned as multiplatform at one point in time as they were a third party publisher.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Another one I was right about. Geez I'm gonna have to start making bets!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Zero_epyon
@djoffer123 said:

Umm did we think that MS would continue to fund projects for the ps5 unless some deal was signed??

Of course! But we had some die hards believing there was never a PS5 version because Phil said they didn't take anything away from PS.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56039 Posts
@worlds_apart said:

I thought it's been common knowledge on gamespot for years now that VGC is not a credible source? or am I wrong?

That's Video Games Chronicle (VGC) TC is using. You're thinking of VGCharts which is still not a good source of material at all for sale thread-wise.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

When you’re making an omelette you have to break a few eggs. Big Daddy Phil making those tough choices for the greater good. 👍

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12913 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I thought Phil was Mr Good Guy, wants as many gamers as possibly to play MS games? This is another reason why we should oppose the Activision deal - am I rite, SW?

"With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games,including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players." - Phil Spencer

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@Zero_epyon said:

Another one I was right about. Geez I'm gonna have to start making bets!

Well yeah, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as games such as Starfield & Redfall were years in development for next-gen way before PS5/Xbox Series came into the fray and also way before MS consider purchasing Bethesda in the process when Bethesda also own Arkane.

The problem is, Xbox fans don't wanna hear the truth.

Edit: And please don't bet on your account as it's never ever a good idea. I hate to see you start fresh all over again. Isn't that right Super Sonic you?

templecow90999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 templecow90999
Member since 2021 • 910 Posts

Another Bethesda game that, had it been planned multiplat, Sony would have tried to swoop in and purchase 1 year timed exclusivity for- just like Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KvallyX
@Zero_epyon said:
@djoffer123 said:

Of course! But we had some die hards believing there was never a PS5 version because Phil said they didn't take anything away from PS.

"that they have"

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@Zero_epyon:

I didn't click the link but how far were they into PS5's development before pulling the plug?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#14 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69363 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Aren't you folks pro-exclusive? What seems the problem now?😎

Worlds_Apart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Worlds_Apart
Member since 2017 • 498 Posts

@davillain: Ah ok I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

On topic, yeah probably not fair to the loyal Sony supporters. Only thing I can say in defense of MS is that Sony did this to MS through out the Xbox One generation. I think when MS bought Bethesda they had this plan in mind to boost their exclusives in order to compete with Sony. Sad but understandable.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3386 Posts

Is anyone surprised? Did anyone from Microsoft said this game was going to be released on the PS5? Was the game ever announced as a PS title? I don't believe any of the recent Bethesda games released exclusively on the PS started as such. I don't get what's newsworthy about this.

The previews seem really excellent. Good thing PS owners have their PCs but I still think MS should eventually release it on PS and get their competitors subsidising their Gamepass subscribers.

Anyway thanks uncle Phil!

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DaVillain  Moderator

@Pedro said:

Aren't you folks pro-exclusive? What seems the problem now?😎

Sony: We can't get any games😭

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zero_epyon

@kvallyx said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@djoffer123 said:

"that they have"

And they had a PS5 version of Starfield and Redfall.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zero_epyon
@PSP107 said:

@Zero_epyon:

I didn't click the link but how far were they into PS5's development before pulling the plug?

They were into developing the game a year before the acquisition. It doesn't say how far they got into either version.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

Obviously everything that was in development before the acquisition was going to be multiplat. Didn't even realize this was a debate.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KvallyX
@Zero_epyon said:
@kvallyx said:
@Zero_epyon said:
@djoffer123 said:

"that they have"

And they had a PS5 version of Starfield and Redfall.

PS5 version of Starfield and Redfall were on consumer PS5 consoles and MS went in and deleted them, taking them away from PS gamers? That sounds like a huge lawsuit.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MysticalDonut

Sony: works with independent developers who are presenting new projects to publishers, becomes exclusive

Microsoft: buys out other publishers who own developers already developing multiplatform games, becomes exclusive

The closest thing Sony has done to what MS is doing is signing timed exclusive deals with third party publishers, like the case of Ghostwire Tokyo, FF7, Deathloop and Forspoken

Edit: I thought Forspoken was PS5 timed exclusive but I guess not? https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/forspoken/9p3b7mt34dls

simple-facts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 simple-facts
Member since 2021 • 2592 Posts

Well done Phil.

Cows ..Xbox has no games

Cows...why did Xbox take our games.

🤣

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38714 Posts

Ain't missing much, this game looks like chasing trends dumpster fire.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Antwan3K  Online
Member since 2005 • 8017 Posts

"Bethesda being part of Xbox is about delivering exclusive games 'where Game Pass exists'" - Phil Spencer link

this was stated from the very beginning..

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KvallyX

@mysticaldonut said:

Sony: works with independent developers who are presenting new projects to publishers, becomes exclusive

Microsoft: buys out other publishers who own developers already developing multiplatform games, becomes exclusive

The closest thing Sony has done to what MS is doing is signing timed exclusive deals with third party publishers, like the case of Ghostwire Tokyo, FF7, Deathloop and Forspoken

Edit: I thought Forspoken was PS5 timed exclusive but I guess not? https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/forspoken/9p3b7mt34dls

That is PC only.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34572 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

This is another reason why we should oppose the Activision deal - am I rite, SW?

You think it's ok when Sony buys exclusivity. Whatever you think of the matter is immediately thrown out the window.

@mysticaldonut said:

Yeah, let's ignore the studios that Sony bought.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6860 Posts

Oh gee I was right, what a surprise.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KvallyX

@girlusocrazy said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I thought Phil was Mr Good Guy, wants as many gamers as possibly to play MS games?

Old two-faced Phil at it again...

Anyway he inadvertently saved cows from this trash

Going by the previews, some media is calling it a GOTY contender. Great news for Xbox gamers around the world.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@djoffer123 said:

Apparently some feel as such, yes. When it comes to business some out there need a bit of realism.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MysticalDonut

@Litchie said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

This is another reason why we should oppose the Activision deal - am I rite, SW?

You think it's ok when Sony buys exclusivity. Whatever you think of the matter is immediately thrown out the window.

@mysticaldonut said:

You ignore everything else I said, which is:

"Sony: works with independent developers who are presenting new projects to publishers, becomes exclusive"

This is fact- the only outlier would be Bungie, which I also disagree with but realize it was most likely a response triggered by the MS acquisitions.

Naughty Dog was a small developer who worked exclusively on the PS1 making Crash Bandicoot before being acquired by Sony.

Media Molecule was developing LBP as their first game and presented it to Sony- later acquired by Sony after LBP success much like Crash and Naughty Dog.

Sucker Punch created Sly Cooper then inFAMOUS, both exclusively for Sony, before being acquired.

Insomniac worked exclusively with Sony for most of their existence (besides a handful of titles published by MS, EA and Oculus) before eventually being acquired by Sony.

Same events happened with Evolution Studios, Zipper Interactive, Bend, etc.

Find me situations where Sony bought out a publisher/developer who was in the middle of developing a multiplatform title (besides again, maybe Bungie)

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Litchie

@mysticaldonut said:

Find me situations where Sony bought out a publisher/developer who was in the middle of developing a multiplatform title (besides again, maybe Bungie)

Why doesn't Bungie matter?

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MysticalDonut

@Litchie said:
@mysticaldonut said:

Why doesn't Bungie matter?

It does, just saying that's only one, an outlier, and not generally the way Sony has done acquisitions over the last twenty years.

Personally I think they way overpaid, billions for a studio who is going to make multiplatform games in the future still anyways. Makes no sense they would be worth billions while Insomniac was only $229 million.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Litchie

@mysticaldonut: Ok cool.

Yeah, that purchase was weird, agreed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#37 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69363 Posts

Sony pays for games not to be on Xbox and Sony fannies celebrate but when the tables are turned they are crying foul.😂

ThatForumUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By ThatForumUser
Member since 2019 • 701 Posts

Maybe I thought this game was small but develper says it is like Far Cry 3!

Amazing this game will be huuuuuge!

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8848 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Why? Can't you play CoD on your...oh, wait. LOL

Locutus_Picard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Locutus_Picard
Member since 2004 • 4159 Posts

Does it matter? All signs (GameSpot, GiantBomb, IGN etc.) point to ANOTHER Bethesda FLOP, maybe even harder than Back4Blood. Everyone is chasing that Left 4 Dead/Games as a Service money but no one is willing to put the talent, time or money in.

I will definitely check it out when it has about 20 performance patches in and hits the $5 budget bin. Play a few hours and go; yup, it's another mediocre L4D ripoff.

And to be honest, even Xbox/Bethesda has better games than this to waste your time on.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

Captain obvious gif.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts
@mysticaldonut said:
@Litchie said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@mysticaldonut said:

"Sony: works with independent developers who are presenting new projects to publishers, becomes exclusive"

This is fact- the only outlier would be Bungie, which I also disagree with but realize it was most likely a response triggered by the MS acquisitions.

Naughty Dog was a small developer who worked exclusively on the PS1 making Crash Bandicoot before being acquired by Sony.

Media Molecule was developing LBP as their first game and presented it to Sony- later acquired by Sony after LBP success much like Crash and Naughty Dog.

Sucker Punch created Sly Cooper then inFAMOUS, both exclusively for Sony, before being acquired.

Insomniac worked exclusively with Sony for most of their existence (besides a handful of titles published by MS, EA and Oculus) before eventually being acquired by Sony.

Wrong. Sony has outright bought exclusives in the past. Hell, Sony had a policy of not funding anything unless they own the IP outright. MS on the other hand did allow devs to own their IPs. One example of the top of my head that I recall is game called something something Rapture that was originally in development for PC but then Sony came along and made it exclusive to PS4 and even asked the devs to hand over the IP.

Not to mention, the whole buying up exclusive stuff or paying to keep games away from platforms is started by Sony, and at the time MS wasn't even a consideration. GTA 3 and onwards were money hated to be PS exclusives when it started as a PC game.

Lastly, the current timed exclusives that Sony pay for is only because the budgets have skyrocketed and neither Sony nor other publishers can afford outright exclusives hence they settled for timed. None of this is because of the goodness of their hearts. The simple thing is MS has a bigger wallet than Sony and you cows are mad about it.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dabear

@SolidGame_basic: And, to be honest...

How is this worse than Sony walking into Aspyr's HQ and saying "We know you're cash strapped. Here, take this money. It's make sure the remake you are working on of that previously Xbox/PC exclusive Star Wars game called Knights Of The Old Republic, does not appear on Xbox."?

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dabear

In other news...

LMAO! Sony may get left out of MS-AB concessions. That means they can delay DLC, not put CoD on Playstation Plus, and not have feature parity.

What a bonehead thing to do.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3386 Posts

I guess we're going go through this several times this gen every time a Xbox game isn't coming out in the PS. It's still hilarious but it's getting repetitive I must confess.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MysticalDonut
@pc_rocks said:
@mysticaldonut said:
@Litchie said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

@mysticaldonut said:

Wrong. Sony has outright bought exclusives in the past. Hell, Sony had a policy of not funding anything unless they own the IP outright. MS on the other hand did allow devs to own their IPs. One example of the top of my head that I recall is game called something something Rapture that was originally in development for PC but then Sony came along and made it exclusive to PS4 and even asked the devs to hand over the IP.

Not to mention, the whole buying up exclusive stuff or paying to keep games away from platforms is started by Sony, and at the time MS wasn't even a consideration. GTA 3 and onwards were money hated to be PS exclusives when it started as a PC game.

Lastly, the current timed exclusives that Sony pay for is only because the budgets have skyrocketed and neither Sony nor other publishers can afford outright exclusives hence they settled for timed. None of this is because of the goodness of their hearts. The simple thing is MS has a bigger wallet than Sony and you cows are mad about it.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, released on PS4 then on PC. From Wikipedia:

"During the development of Dear Esther, the team wanted to introduce interactive elements. When this proved to be impractical, the concept of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was born.[3] The developers were inspired by "the very British apocalyptic sci-fi of the 60s and 70", like John Christopher's The Death of Grass and Charles Eric Maine's The Tide Went Out.[5] The team made the decision to partner with Sony as they felt they could not raise enough money for the project through crowdfunding sources or through sales of alpha versions.[6][7] A Windows version of the game was released on 14 April 2016.[8]"

If a publisher (Sony) is going to fund a game then I don't think it's out of line to expect ownership of it. Sony has always requested IP ownership, if the game is a success they tend to buy out the studio down the road (Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, MM, Evolution) but if it's not a success then they usually don't (Ninja Theory's Heavenly Sword, Ready At Dawn's The Order 1886).

MS has only ever allowed devs to own the rights to their game when there was clearly a PR stunt behind it- like the big deal of Insomniac leaving Sony and making Sunset Overdrive exclusively with MS.

I don't really know if during that era if the PS2 was so dominant that Square, Rockstar, Capcom, etc. simply chose to make a lot of their games PS2 exclusive because the install base was so high or if Sony was paying for it. I know when the PS3 wasn't doing too hot its first couple years, and Sony lost big third party exclusive games (DMC, GTA, Final Fantasy, Tekken) they really started investing more in their first party and with more creative, risk taking IP (like Littlebigplanet).

I really don't know why Sony would waste money today on third party exclusives, especially timed ones, when they have a decent amount of first party IP they can reinvest in- fans would rather see a new Motorstorm, Killzone, Resistance or Twisted Metal game than see millions wasted on keeping Forspoken exclusively on PS5 for a short amount of time.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#47 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Oh Sony is gonna have a ball with this in the courts (Activision feud)...

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

I am not in favor of exclusives period.

But it seems rather obvious that established multiplat IPs would continue to be so for some time since they already have an audience whereas new IPs would be exclusive. That would be the starting point with the potential to make one off decisions.

Phil gets to say that nothing has been taken away because until an IP has been released with an audience it cant be taken away.

How people don't grasp what is going on amazes me...but then SWs isn't exactly full of geniuses.

Regardless, exclusives still blow and are inherently anti-consumer.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MysticalDonut

@SUD123456 said:

I am not in favor of exclusives period.

But it seems rather obvious that established multiplat IPs would continue to be so for some time since they already have an audience whereas new IPs would be exclusive. That would be the starting point with the potential to make one off decisions.

Phil gets to say that nothing has been taken away because until an IP has been released with an audience it cant be taken away.

How people don't grasp what is going on amazes me...but then SWs isn't exactly full of geniuses.

Regardless, exclusives still blow and are inherently anti-consumer.

I agree, even though it is annoying Starfield was probably designed as a multiplatform game in mind, the acquisition changes that. Redfall and Starfield are new IPs and Microsoft has every right to keep them only available on Xbox.

They are anti-consumer if they decide to make CoD, Diablo, Skyrim, Fallout, Crash Bandicoot, Doom Xbox exclusive and not on PS or Nintendo, though.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KvallyX

Kinda sucks that Stellar Blade was in development for Xbox, then Sony swooped in and made it PS exclusive. Not sure why Sony would take over a multiplatform game that was announced to Xbox fans around the world to be coming to their console, only for Sony to block that.

Weasels.