Red Dead Redimption 2 is up & running on PS5's enhancement mode, BC confirmed?

#1 Edited by BoxRekt (787 posts) -

Also leaks PS4 power increase over standard PS4 to be 6 to 7x higher

The YouTuber says he has inside source and gives a few other questionable reveals.

I'm going to be honest, I was on board until he said both Death Stranding and TLOU 2 will release within 2 months of each other.

It's literally zero chance IMO. That's just not going to happen. So you guys can take some or all of what this guy is saying with big grains of salt.

#2 Edited by BoxRekt (787 posts) -

Quote:

"Late last night I was on a skipe call with a source currently in Las Vagas NA. And I was informed Sony has Red Dead Redemption 2 up and running on PS5's enhanced mode on the latest dev kit hardware and behind closed doors."

#3 Posted by sealionact (3606 posts) -

@boxrekt: "It's literally zero chance IMO. That's just not going to happen. So you guys can take some or all of what this guy is saying with big grains of salt."

Why don't you think that would happen?

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (30301 posts) -

2019 is an exciting year. As we'll be seeing the new Xbox and PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8
#5 Posted by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@sealionact said:

@boxrekt: "It's literally zero chance IMO. That's just not going to happen. So you guys can take some or all of what this guy is saying with big grains of salt."

I don't know why it couldn't. TLOU2 and Death Stranding are really different games with different target audience.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#6 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2787 posts) -

Lies. Youtubers are looking for views. Those Dealer Gaming and Crap Gamer clowns claim to have sources too, yet they’re always wrong. And the funny thing is, Dealer let it slip once that one of his sources was a tester... A tester wouldn’t have access to any of this type of information.

#7 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Quote:

"Late last night I was on a skipe call with a source currently in Las Vagas NA. And I was informed Sony has Red Dead Redemption 2 up and running on PS5's enhanced mode on the latest dev kit hardware and behind closed doors."

I last recall current PS5's dev kit is based on Vega 64 or perhaps VII

On the ROPS front, VII's 128 ROPS at 1800Mhz is 7.9X higher than PS4 Pro's 32 ROPS at 911 Mhz. If 128 ROPS is true (Anandtech claim), VII can push plenty pixels, but it needs geometry to rasterization hardware improvements.

Semi-custom GPU like Intel's RX Vega M GH has 64 ROPS with 24 CU.

For raster graphics, TFLOPS is meaningless without ROPS read-write units.

---

From http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Grafikkarte-266623/Tests/Benchmark-Preis-Release-1235445/3/

Vega v1 IP has delta color compression improvements over Polaris IP. Unknown delta color compression improvements with VII.

For Red Dead Redemption 2, X1X's GPU improvements already delivers 2X pixel results over PS4 Pro, hence 6X to 7X is reduced to 3X to 3.5X when compared to X1X.

X1X GPU has 32 ROPS at 1172Mhz with 2MB render cache improvements which is missing with Polaris IP. Vega 64's 64 ROPS at 1536 Mhz with 4MB L2 cache would yield 2.6X improvements not factoring 4MB L2 cache increase.

#8 Posted by kuu2 (11049 posts) -

ALTs are so cool.

It must be true if a YouTuber said it.

#9 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@kuu2 said:

ALTs are so cool.

It must be true if a YouTuber said it.

It's just Vega 64 or VII PS5 dev kit. It doesn't take much to impress Sony. VII's power consumption can be reduced by reducing CU count while keeping VII's raster power.

#10 Edited by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:
@boxrekt said:

Quote:

On the ROPS front, VII's 128 ROPS at 1800Mhz is 7.9X higher than PS4 Pro's 32 ROPS at 911 Mhz. If 128 ROPS is true (Anandtech claim), VII can push plenty pixels, but it needs geometry to rasterization hardware improvements.

---

From http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Radeon-RX-Vega-64-Grafikkarte-266623/Tests/Benchmark-Preis-Release-1235445/3/

Vega v1 IP has delta color compression improvements over Polaris IP. Unknown delta color compression improvements with VII.

For Red Dead Redemption 2, X1X's GPU improvements already delivers 2X pixel results over PS4 Pro, hence 6X to 7X is reduced to 3X to 3.5X when compared to X1X.

X1X GPU has 32 ROPS at 1172Mhz with 2MB render cache improvements which is missing with Polaris IP. Vega 64's 64 ROPS at 1536 Mhz with 4MB L2 cache would yield 2.6X improvements not factoring 4MB L2 cache increase.

Development to this gen games' is made on base X1/PS4, the enhanced versions are completely useless to the discussion and to change in development focus.

#11 Posted by Pedro (33339 posts) -

@gamer_lover: So a resolution bump from 1080p to 4k for Red Dead Redemption 2 is completely useless to the discussion?

#12 Posted by PAL360 (29483 posts) -

I have yet to see any sign of limitations on current gen games, and we are 1 or 2 years away from consoles 7 times more powerful. Lets not forget the rumors of full PS4 BC on PS5. Exiting times to be a gamer XD

#13 Posted by tormentos (28393 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Quote:

New account make thread about some youtuber who claim to have inside PS5 info.

#14 Posted by SecretPolice (34771 posts) -

:P

#15 Posted by sealionact (3606 posts) -

@gamer_lover: Exactly.

#16 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3685 posts) -

Another inside info? Sure lol

#17 Posted by Randoggy (3439 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

I have yet to see any sign of limitations on current gen games, and we are 1 or 2 years away from consoles 7 times more powerful. Lets not forget the rumors of full PS4 BC on PS5. Exiting times to be a gamer XD

Totally exiting.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#18 Edited by Blackhairedhero (2907 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Dude was 100% right on the Neo and X1X leak. Most youtubers are bullshit but this guy has a good track record.

#19 Posted by BigBadBully (2124 posts) -

Not sure if its the same guy who leaked Sony Skipping E3 but it was also mentioned that 2 out of the 3 could possibly release in 2019(ghosts, tlou2 and death stranding).

So it could be possible that Death Stranding and TLOU2 release, having seen tweets from both referencing 2019. Ghost then being a launch for Ps5......

#20 Edited by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@gamer_lover: So a resolution bump from 1080p to 4k for Red Dead Redemption 2 is completely useless to the discussion?

comparing the pro and the x to the ps5/nextbox is useless because development is made to the base consoles, not to the upgraded ones.

This gen games' doesn't have the pro/xbox one x as the focus for the development, hence, the games are never going to be as good looking as they could because they have to target the lower common denominator, og ps4/xb1. PS5 and Nextbox won't have to limit assets and everything else because of this.

#21 Edited by PC_Rocks (1794 posts) -

Awww...looks like tgob has been banned.

Anyway, even if we take that news(rumour) at 7x that turns out to be 12.6 TFLOPS for PS5. Seems I was correct in my estimation of PS5 around 1070/1070Ti power.

1060 was 4.4 TFLOP and faster than X1X 6 TFLOPS

1070/1070Ti has around 6.5/8.5 TFLOPS, extrapolating it to AMD TFLOP figure should turn out to be ~12.5 TFLOP. Vega 64 i.e equivalent of 1070Ti in performance is 12.5 TFLOP.

#22 Posted by Zero_epyon (13087 posts) -

I'll wait...

#23 Edited by Macutchi (6589 posts) -
@PAL360 said:

definitely exciting times but rdr2 on the base ps4 can grind down to what feels like mid teens fps when you're in a busy part of a town. it's the best looking game on the ps4 and it pushes it to its limits. i remember gta v doing similar on the 360. then at e3 the xbox one was announced. whether your console's best looking game has noticeable performance dips is possibly a good barometer to when next gen is due

#24 Posted by PAL360 (29483 posts) -

@Macutchi: Sure, some demanding current gen games still have a slow down here and there, but nothing compared to what we used to have on PS3 and 360. Last generation framerates of 20-25fps were common, and lets not forget screen tearing, pop up, etc everywhere. Most of these problems have disappeared this generation, and we have actually seen more and more 60fps console games, especially on Pro and X1X.

#25 Posted by Basinboy (13817 posts) -

Man, look how big those numbers are!

#26 Posted by DaVillain- (34925 posts) -

@Zero_epyon said:

I'll wait...

#27 Posted by Pedro (33339 posts) -

@gamer_lover: If they don't build games for the Pro and Xbox One X, then why is Red Dead Redemption 2 4K on the One X instead of 1080p? Simple answer, games are scalable and have been scalable for decades. The argument about systems holding back visuals or game design is at its core a fanboy myth.

#28 Edited by BoxRekt (787 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@gamer_lover: If they don't build games for the Pro and Xbox One X, then why is Red Dead Redemption 2 4K on the One X instead of 1080p? Simple answer, games are scalable and have been scalable for decades. The argument about systems holding back visuals or game design is at its core a fanboy myth.

You answered your own question.

You should feel silly trying to make arguments which you yourself debunked without even realizing it.

@Pedro said:

If they don't build games for the Pro and Xbox One x Why is RDR2 4k on One X instead of 1080p?

Your answer

@Pedro said:

Games are scaleable and have been for decades

My question to you is, what does being "scaleable" have to do building a game for specific hardware?

Example scaling Super Mario Bros to 4k won't change the fact it was build for a 16bit system.

If you don't understand how you validated the other posters point I don't know what to tell you. I.E. Red Dead Redemption 2 is a 1.3 -1.8 system developed game that was up resed to 4k. Nothing special about that.

Up scaling last generation games is irrelevant to the discussions of generations because next generation games wont be developed from 1.3 and 1.8 TF systems period.

#29 Posted by watercrack445 (1257 posts) -
Loading Video...

This above video implies that Death Standing, LOU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima are coming out in 2019.

Here, is another video that explains in depth why they might come out in 2019.

Loading Video...

#30 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:

Awww...looks like tgob has been banned.

Anyway, even if we take that news(rumour) at 7x that turns out to be 12.6 TFLOPS for PS5. Seems I was correct in my estimation of PS5 around 1070/1070Ti power.

1060 was 4.4 TFLOP and faster than X1X 6 TFLOPS

1070/1070Ti has around 6.5/8.5 TFLOPS, extrapolating it to AMD TFLOP figure should turn out to be ~12.5 TFLOP. Vega 64 i.e equivalent of 1070Ti in performance is 12.5 TFLOP.Btw

Forza Motorsport 7's 4K wet scenes, Gears of War 4 (4K mode, story path) Killer Instinct Season 3 4K and Far Cry 5 4K debunks "1060 was 4.4 TFLOP and faster than X1X 6 TFLOPS"

Both GTX 1070 and GTX 1060 has 1800Mhz stealth over clock mode which yields higher TFLOPS over paper specs e.g. 1070 has 6.9 TFLOPS at 1800Mhz and 1060 has 4.6 TFLOPS at 1800Mhz

For raster graphics, TFLOPS is meaningless without ROPS read-write (AMD is pushing async compute and TMU read-write path as workaround) and raster geometry floating point-to-integer pixel conversion factors.

Vega 56 at 1710 Mhz with 12 TFLOPS beats RTX 2070 and Strix Vega 64 at 1590Mhz with 13 TFLOPS.

#31 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@gamer_lover said:
@ronvalencia said:
@boxrekt said:

Quote:

---

Development to this gen games' is made on base X1/PS4, the enhanced versions are completely useless to the discussion and to change in development focus.

Not fully correct. X1X dev kit has the full 44 CU GCN with 24 GB GDDR5 which is 10 percent faster than the retail X1X's 40 CU and 12 GB GDDR5. Both X1X dev kit can simulate XBO/XBO S/X1X retail performance profiles via it's VM functions. This is not the complete dev kit since Visual Studio is on Windows PC.

PS4 dev kit on WIndows PC, http://kiwidog.me/2016/08/tutorial-playstation-4-development-on-windows/ Both XBO and PS4 has Visual Studio support on the Windows PC.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was develop on the PC and targeted console game performance profiles.

#32 Edited by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@boxrekt: I couldn't have said it better myself, the assets were made to run on base PS4/X1. It's like using a 1080ti to run a MGS1, obviously the game will run better on the 1080ti, but the game wasn't made targeting this GPU.

#33 Posted by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@ronvalencia: that has literally nothing to do with what I said.

#34 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@gamer_lover said:

@ronvalencia: that has literally nothing to do with what I said.

"Development to this gen games' is made on base X1/PS4," is not 100 percent correct since Visual Studio development environment doesn't exist on both console hardware.

XBO's Visual Studio development environment documentation on Windows PC example

#35 Posted by deactivated-5c3c67cee15c8 (75 posts) -

@ronvalencia: what I meant is the games target base PS4 and X1. My bad.

#36 Posted by Steppy_76 (2615 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Quote:

That's essentially like a pc gamer being a new CPU and graphics card and forcing features on via drivers and acting like it's amazing. Unless sony seriously changes their mind the ps5 is essentially a beefed up ps4. The architecture is gonna be the same in back to back gen s for the first time. The only reason for the ps5 not to be backwards comparable would be greed. It should inherently run ps4 code without the need for emulation or any ps4 hardware in the box.

#37 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@gamer_lover said:

@ronvalencia: what I meant is the games target base PS4 and X1. My bad.

Before PS4 and AMD Bulldozer/Jaguar hardware was released, Sony was working on Intel Sandybridge on AVX1 kernel code changes for FreeBSD branch.

Sony has submitted AVX2 and Ryzen V1 code changes to FreeBSD. We got Sony to thank for specific Ryzen V1 (ZEN 1.x) support on FreeBSD. Ryzen 3000(ZEN 2) instruction set is identical to Ryzen v1(Zen1) but AVX2 is faster.

#38 Posted by The-A-Baum (1317 posts) -

@sealionact said:

Naughty Dog is still hiring for people to work on the Last of Us 2, that's a big reason.

#39 Posted by lamprey263 (35880 posts) -

There's people on YouTube who still think the earth is flat, that the government is covering up the existence of giants, that the moon landing was faked yet there's secretly a Nazi moon base on then dark side of the moon, that the Pope and Joe Biden mad first contact with aliens in at a pyramid in Antarctica... pfft, YouTube.

#40 Posted by sealionact (3606 posts) -

@the-a-baum: I don't see what that has to do with the possibility of the two games being released within two months of each other.

#41 Posted by Diddies (2334 posts) -

@PAL360 said:

Is this a joke? The FPS and texture quality is a limitation compared to what PC is showing right now.

#42 Posted by VFighter (4480 posts) -

I stopped when I read " a YouTube said" lol.

#43 Posted by freedom01 (3332 posts) -

I'll believe it when I see it

#44 Posted by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@freedom01 said:

I'll believe it when I see it

For Red Dead Redemption 2, X1X is already 2X the pixel results over PS4 Pro's version, hence 6X to 7X advantage over PS4 Pro would be 3X to 3.5X advantage over X1X.

Double X1X's GPU into 12 TFLOPS with 64 ROPS lands on Vega 64 (2.03X compute and 2.62X raster when compared to X1X) , hence reducing 3X to 3.5X to 1.5X to 1.75X (on FP32 compute).

New dev kits with 6X to 7X sounds like Visual Studio workstation PCs with VII GPU cards.

#45 Posted by rzxv04 (352 posts) -

I wonder how the CPU goes. 4x improvement?

I still think the PS5 will have other hardware features not yet on the VII.

#46 Edited by ronvalencia (26997 posts) -

@rzxv04 said:

I wonder how the CPU goes. 4x improvement?

I still think the PS5 will have other hardware features not yet on the VII.

PS5 would have features removed from VII e.g. useless FP64 support and other workstation features.

If PS5 targets VII's performance profile,

• PS5 could have 128 ROPS at lower clock speed hence avoiding exponential power consumption curve at higher clock speed range.
  • Remove FP64 support reduce power consumption and reduce transistor usage.
  • Remove high bandwidth cache below L2 cache reduce power consumption and reduce transistor usage.

Extremetech claims VII has 64 ROPS at 1800 Mhz