Red Dead Redemption 2 will have microtransaction.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24895 Posts

Sauce

“We aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company,” he noted. “It may not always be an online model, it probably won’t always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board.”

oh Rockstar, going into EA and ubisoft territory. while rockstar is the developer i consider most overrated dev in history. but now they are hitting new bottom.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Don't you do it, Rockstar...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46184 Posts

GTA V had microtransactions too

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 KungfuKitten

@R4gn4r0k said:

Yeah and they didn't exactly handle it well. I really hope they don't **** this up.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

Water is wet

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46184 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

Yeah and they didn't exactly handle it well. I really hope they don't **** this up.

They banned an insane amount of people in GTA V, all because they used some hacks to drop money from the skies. Which, as a player seeing that, was really funny.

You're not even allowed to do what you want in a game anymore, or have fun the way you want. You mess with Rockstar's in game economy, they bring the ban hammer on you.

Which is pretty sad because for me, the GTA series was always about having the most non-serious off-track fun you could have.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Is this the exclusive content the PS4 is getting that nathandrakesballbag keeps talking about :P

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 KungfuKitten

@R4gn4r0k said:
@KungfuKitten said:

They banned an insane amount of people in GTA V, all because they used some hacks to drop money from the skies. Which, as a player seeing that, was really funny.

You're not even allowed to do what you want in a game anymore, or have fun the way you want. You mess with Rockstar's in game economy, they bring the ban hammer on you.

Which is pretty sad because for me, the GTA series was always about having the most non-serious off-track fun you could have.

Oh for sure! I remember giving my little brother GTA III and he was like tugging at my arm to come see what he had found. And he had found these codes to drop tanks and stuff. He had the time of his life messing around with that game. For me GTA is really one of the best examples why you should have cheat codes and ways to mess around with your game, if at all possible to implement it.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#10 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

I'll wait to see how the system works before getting the pitchfork and torch.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

If its a free to play game, i will try it out. if not then i couldn't care less about the title.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56026 Posts

Let me know when PC version has been announce and we can talk about Microtransactions all you want.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#13 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

"We can get away with it, so why not?"

Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts

Thanks, Microsoft!

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Rockstar does micro transactions correctly.

Shark cards are fine. They don’t ruin GTAV.

Activision and EA do it wrong because their micro transactions end up breaking their games.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

We shall see, I am a little biased but I wonder what the dlc will be like. Probably a zombie mode like in the first redemption.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Desire to own = 100 -> 0

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

This is the future, like it or not.

AAA games are expensive as hell to make. Developers and publishers are goiung to try and maximize their profits. It is a business after all, not a charity.

Just do not buy the microtransactions if you do not support it.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:

The handwriting is on the wall, folks. These types of systems will be invading all of (or at least the vast majority of) AAA games going forward and will only become more intrusive and aggressive. Lately I've been considering making this generation of consoles my last. Going forward, perhaps I'll get a modest gaming PC for indies (until they're infected by this kind of garbage), or maybe a Raspberry Pi and just play older games from here on out.

I still love gaming, but I'm growing weary and distrustful of the gaming industry by and large. Games are more and more becoming all too safe and stale, with the only innovation being ways in which publishers can take more and more of our money while delivering less and less quality content. It does my head in, honestly.

I think I'll always keep a modern system like the PS4 or Switch for the few games that don't try to screw me over. I won't buy any games with microtransactions. Over the last 10 years I've amassed around 800 games. I had a feeling some bullshit like this might happen when dlc started becoming more prevalent.

I have a pretty unconventional thinking about all of this. I thought about buying star wars battlefront just to throw $100 at the microtransations. My thinking is if EA see's their bullshit as a success they'll get even greedier until they cause their own demise.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@stuff238 said:

Rockstar does micro transactions correctly.

Shark cards are fine. They don’t ruin GTAV.

Activision and EA do it wrong because their micro transactions end up breaking their games.

Oh they ruined GTA online... the game modes are designed around fucking over players with better hardware. The open world had so much potential but then it became an arms race and everyone is in tanks to push micro transactions as a necessity.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@i_p_daily said:

Is this the exclusive content the PS4 is getting that nathandrakesballbag keeps talking about :P

LOL atta boy!!

On topic, A) this was discussed in a thread about the quote you included TC. Why wouldn't that include RDR2 when they clearly stated all their games will? Don't buy them. You cant control what others do in life. You can only control your behavior. So don't buy the microtransactions. If they begin making them mandatory, don't buy the games period. Crying on the internet will not stop this. People want to vent and I get that but its not going to change anything. It has to play itself out and the only thing that will show these companies is hitting their revenue. And not every person will do that until it is to the extreme that it bothers every person.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

I just assumed it would, if you look what they've been doing with GTA V with its online mode, it's clear their goals are oriented with building a game with a robust online community they can monetize off. With GTA V, Rockstar has said that there's times they make more on micro-transactions than actual game sales. That being the case, I'm not surprised they want to recreate their successes with Red Dead Redemption 2.

Anyhow, some here see micro-transactions and treat it like saying a game has AIDS, but to me it's all relative. I've yet to play a game I've felt forced me to engage in buying digital currency or loot packs, after all most times that's all stuff you can earn in-game. If it ever reaches that point, I won't bother with those games. That's why I pretty much don't play any free-to-play games of any kind.

ocinom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ocinom
Member since 2008 • 1385 Posts

2k Sports a subsidiary of T2 has crippling microtransactions with NBA 2k18.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Did you expect otherwise? Micro-transactions from GTAV have brought in almost a BILLION dollars. I think it was pushing 700 million this time last year

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

@getyeryayasout said:
@jdc6305 said:
@getyeryayasout said:

The handwriting is on the wall, folks. These types of systems will be invading all of (or at least the vast majority of) AAA games going forward and will only become more intrusive and aggressive. Lately I've been considering making this generation of consoles my last. Going forward, perhaps I'll get a modest gaming PC for indies (until they're infected by this kind of garbage), or maybe a Raspberry Pi and just play older games from here on out.

I still love gaming, but I'm growing weary and distrustful of the gaming industry by and large. Games are more and more becoming all too safe and stale, with the only innovation being ways in which publishers can take more and more of our money while delivering less and less quality content. It does my head in, honestly.

I think I'll always keep a modern system like the PS4 or Switch for the few games that don't try to screw me over. I won't buy any games with microtransactions. Over the last 10 years I've amassed around 800 games. I had a feeling some bullshit like this might happen when dlc started becoming more prevalent.

I have a pretty unconventional thinking about all of this. I thought about buying star wars battlefront just to throw $100 at the microtransations. My thinking is if EA see's their bullshit as a success they'll get even greedier until they cause their own demise.

If I do buy another console it will probably be whatever Nintendo brings to market after the Switch. I really love the Switch, it's got a good selection of indies and their first-party games haven't been full of microtransactions just yet (unless you count Amiibos, which at best I have mixed feelings about), and I simply like playing games on that device.

Fact of the matter is that my generation of gamer is a dying breed. The new generation has been brought up playing microtransaction filled F2P games on their parents ipads and iphones. Microtransactions are the norm for them. They didn't grow up playing games that gave the consumer all content for $60, being nickle and dimed is par for the course for them. This stuff isn't going away.

@cainetao11 #drakeybackballbagbullshit

Yeah I never thought about the kids being raised on microtransactions. I guess gaming as we know it really is doomed. No matter what us older gamers do kids will still buy into it. I never thought MTs would make its way to single player games. Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to pirate. I've always been willing to pay for games but not with this bs.

djoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 djoffer
Member since 2007 • 1856 Posts

Honestly as long as it doesn’t interfere with the SP part, I don’t mind micro transactions that much...

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#29 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

lol what you thought it wouldnt?

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

Gambling for content on the way

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#31 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@jdc6305 said:
@getyeryayasout said:
@jdc6305 said:
@getyeryayasout said:

If I do buy another console it will probably be whatever Nintendo brings to market after the Switch. I really love the Switch, it's got a good selection of indies and their first-party games haven't been full of microtransactions just yet (unless you count Amiibos, which at best I have mixed feelings about), and I simply like playing games on that device.

Fact of the matter is that my generation of gamer is a dying breed. The new generation has been brought up playing microtransaction filled F2P games on their parents ipads and iphones. Microtransactions are the norm for them. They didn't grow up playing games that gave the consumer all content for $60, being nickle and dimed is par for the course for them. This stuff isn't going away.

@cainetao11 #drakeybackballbagbullshit

Yeah I never thought about the kids being raised on microtransactions. I guess gaming as we know it really is doomed. No matter what us older gamers do kids will still buy into it. I never thought MTs would make its way to single player games. Guess I'm gonna have to learn how to pirate. I've always been willing to pay for games but not with this bs.

I'm not buying that hopeless non sense. Humans repeat their own history. This will get more aggressive and intrusive but a majority of the gaming community isn't kids. According to data it is 30 somethings so they did grow up without micros. And when the majority are fed up they will vote with their wallets and this will balance out. For a while. But the corporations will take for as long as they can again and rinse and repeat.

The point is as I recently discussed with Kung Fu Kitten, everyone is entitled to their own breaking point. I haven't come across a game that has made me buy anything in order to get my enjoyment from it. Its not my job to "save gaming". I'm fvckin tired when I get home from night classes at 11 pm. I just want to pop on the TV press a button and play a game, a game I want to play. I don't give a shit if people complain about how stale AAA is or how evil businesses are for attempting to maximize profits, you know the thing a business is meant to do.

Crying about this stuff wont change it. It has to play out as it will.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

I don’t spend money on loot boxes or microtransactions myself but I’ve still been able to enjoy games that have had them in them including GTAV. As long as that can still happen with this game then I’ll be fine with it, if not then I’ll pass on it.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

r* is on my shit list

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'll be ignoring micro transactions in RDR 2 just like I did in GTA 5.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I want to wait before passing judgement.

AC Origins has microtransactions, for costumes and weapons, but they don't force them into the main game and that feels like an incredibly detailed, rich world with nothing compromised. I don't care when it's like that. Here's hoping this is more shark cards for the online portion and not pay to win madness.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@ShepardCommandr: "r* is on my shit list"

Who else is on that list?

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9726 Posts

They killed my hype for this game.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Sad to see, but if the single player in RDR2 is untouched I'll be fine. This is the new norm, and I'd be denying myself potentially great SP experiences just because I take exception to greedy business practices that are manifesting themselves in MP, a mode I've never held any interest in whatsoever. I don't see how MTs could work in a narrative driven game anyway, usually they are they to give a 1-up over other players.

That being said, I'll wait a bit until after release to see if the SP came out unscathed.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Well the last game I bought from crockstar was GTA 4, and after playing that game I swore I would never buy another game of theirs, so enjoy your microtransactioned golden pistols lol.

Aki2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Aki2017
Member since 2017 • 817 Posts

Hmmm this concerns me.... but let's see what that stuff actually is..

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

Is this even news? They had shark cards in GTA V. That is what really made them a lot of money in on the game. Do you not think they are going to do it again? People are really getting mad about this.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

If they keep it to superficial things like costumes, I can just ignore it. But if they put in crap like EA did with Need For Speed: Payback, encouraging you to pay more money to avoid a lot of grinding, yeah that would be disappointing and I'd have a major issue with it, as everyone should.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Sauce

“We aim to have recurrent consumer spending opportunities for every title that we put out at this company,” he noted. “It may not always be an online model, it probably won’t always be a virtual currency model, but there will be some ability to engage in an ongoing basis with our titles after release across the board.”

oh Rockstar, going into EA and ubisoft territory. while rockstar is the developer i consider most overrated dev in history. but now they are hitting new bottom.

So don't buy them. No one is making you, sniper. I know you're not all that bright, but you're apparently a mindless drone incapable of making your own decisions.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Anyone complaining about Microtransactions and loot boxes must really hate baseball, Pokémon, Magic cards. Can't stand subscription boxes like loot crate, horror block. Hate quarter machines at the grocery store that gives you a random trinket or tattoo. Cause it's all the same shit ?Just a different medium to purchase it on

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34565 Posts

Well duh.

As usual, I will not support it.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44021 Posts

Never got the biggie about this. Eh. perhaps because I never Buy them. :P

Anyway, unless R* pulls a Bioware ME:A and totally just phones it in for a cash grab, RDR2 will be GOAT, baby!!!

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

Lovely. That's another game I won't feel I'm missing out on. Modern AAA gaming is so kind on my wallet. :)