Red Dead Redemption 2 - the most overrated game of the gen.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By texasgoldrush
Member since 2003 • 14807 Posts

Seriously, 97 on Metacritic for a game that has so many problems, both big and small.

I will let this link (does have spoilers) go over them, controls, story problems, and game direction problems, they nail it on the head.

http://whatculture.com/gaming/red-dead-redemption-2-9-reasons-its-not-game-of-the-year-2018

#1 is especially important, and ensures this game is below The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild's greatness.

Once again, critics show their bias towards Rockstar, and now I am so sick of it, I do not trust gaming critics anymore. RDR2 has so many problems, and critical ones too, they are overlooked when corrupt critics rush out the reviews before game release, singing nothing but praise but being willfully ignorant of major flaws that anger gamers. This is a circle jerk plain and simple.

RDR2 not only does not fix the problems with the first game and the Rockstar formula, its made worse by having elements that enhance their clash of gameplay elements and makes it in a way that its not fun. I do think the story overall is better than the first, but it so underwhelming and cliched overall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#2 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I disagree

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 texasgoldrush

@phbz said:

I disagree

So me having Arthur going on a murderous rampage in town and this having minimal effect on the story isn't the problem? So I can play a set character out of character and thats not a problem?

Cyberpunk is going to eat them for lunch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

Both BotW and TW3 have also been referred as the 'THE MOOST OVEEERATED GAME OF ALL TIMES EVER!' on numerous occasions.

Who is right though that's the most important question. Who's opinion is the gold standard of games rating.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@phbz said:

I disagree

So me having Arthur going on a murderous rampage in town and this having minimal effect on the story isn't the problem? So I can play a set character out of character and thats not a problem?

Cyberpunk is going to eat them for lunch.

What if someone thinks Cyberpunk is THE MOST OEVRRATED GAME EVER though, what then?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

You may want to put a spoiler warning on that link. I haven't played it and by the time I got to page 3 it was dropping spoilers all over the place, so thanks for that.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 texasgoldrush

@boycie said:

Both BotW and TW3 have also been referred as the 'THE MOOST OVEEERATED GAME OF ALL TIMES EVER!' on numerous occasions.

Who is right though that's the most important question. Who's opinion is the gold standard of games rating.

Here is the difference.

TW3 was not overrated by the press at launch. It was only a 91-93 on MC, not 97 or 98. TW3 has the strongest gamer acclaim of the gen right now for a AAA title.

BOTW was overrated by critics at launch when they too, ignored games flaws and missed opportunities, which can lead to an improved sequel,, however the main game direction idea was not flawed like RDR2.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By texasgoldrush

@GarGx1 said:

You may want to put a spoiler warning on that link. I haven't played it and by the time I got to page 3 it was dropping spoilers all over the place, so thanks for that.

They have spoiler warnings in the link, first page.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:

Here is the difference.

TW3 was not overrated by the press at launch. It was only a 91-93 on MC, not 97 or 98. TW3 has the strongest gamer acclaim of the gen right now for a AAA title.

BOTW was overrated by critics at launch when they too, ignored games flaws and missed opportunities, which can lead to an improved sequel,, however the main game direction idea was not flawed like RDR2.

Sorry I just think the term 'overrated' is worthless. We all have opinion and taste. My gf loves marmite and I hate it.

Just type 'Why is The Witcher 3 overrated' into YouTube and you will see plenty of videos explaining at great length why it is.

I think all 3 are great by the way.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9378 Posts

Nah. That's still BotW. Solid 7/10.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I think the MC average is probably a bit too high given the game does have some issues, but I still think its one of the best games i've ever played.

I usually bail on open world games after 10-15 hours but I never doubted i'd finish RDR2. some tedium definitely crept into the gameplay but overall it was one of the most profound gaming experiences of my adult life, rivalled only by The Witcher 3.

the game has flaws, but it does so many things so well that it largely transcends them, much the same as The Witcher 3

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:

Here is the difference.

TW3 was not overrated by the press at launch...

BOTW was overrated by critics at launch when they too, ignored games flaws and missed opportunities...

LOL you can't be serious...with TW3's asstastic gameplay.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 texasgoldrush

@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:

Here is the difference.

Sorry I just think the term 'overrated' is worthless. We all have opinion and taste. My gf loves marmite and I hate it.

The reality is that critics do praise game highly that end up having a mixed reception by gamers. Just because you hate that word doesn't mean it isn't reality.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24803 Posts

Have not played it yet and i doubt its most overrated game. im waiting for PC version and footages i have seen are very impressive.

most overrated game this gen is The Witcher 3 by far. the controls are horrible, the gameplay suck, too many useless dialogues that are so so long. etc.

Second most is Metal gear solid V. Seriously how is this game got 10/10 is beyond me. its an unfinished game and have most repetetive missions ever. literally 20 hours doing same thing over and over and over and over again.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ghosts4ever
@texasgoldrush said:

Here is the difference.

and this is why its overrated. a game with broken gameplay mechanics is so praised that its beyond me.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tgob89

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:

Here is the difference.

The reality is that critics do praise game highly that end up having a mixed reception by gamers. Just because you hate that word doesn't mean it isn't reality.

but...you're just giving *your* opinion.

I hate TW3 but that's my opinion and many many people love that game so is it right for me to call it overrated when it's loved by millions? Or is it just my opinion that the game is trash?

I can give a million reasons why the game is bad but that wont stop someone else from thinking it's the best game of all time.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

I find it impossible for a game to be more overrated than TW3

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ghosts4ever

@goldenelementxl said:

exactly. and i have feeling that cyberpunk is next. as critics blown away by that but in reality it looks average.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@ghosts4ever said:
@goldenelementxl said:

exactly. and i have feeling that cyberpunk is next. as critics blown away by that but in reality it looks average.

So does JC4 though.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tgob89

@ghosts4ever said:

Have not played it yet and i doubt its most overrated game. im waiting for PC version and footages i have seen are very impressive.

most overrated game this gen is The Witcher 3 by far. the controls are horrible, the gameplay suck, too many useless dialogues that are so so long. etc.

Second most is Metal gear solid V. Seriously how is this game got 10/10 is beyond me. its an unfinished game and have most repetetive missions ever. literally 20 hours doing same thing over and over and over and over again.

lol I can agree with you on both of these opinions.

It's amazing how texasgoldrush can be an apologist for TW3 but crucify RDR2 when it looks like a better RPG even though it's not trying to be.

I don't own RDR2 because I hate GTA and got burned the last 2 games (I'll get in bargain bin) but from gameplay videos alone, there are far more layers of depth to RDR2 than TW3.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Arthur's "respect" level does supposedly change how characters react to him.

It would be cool if this changed some of the quest trees based on your behaviors and allowed some more serious story branching, I think it's more of a design choice. If you kill or anger an NPC do we want to lose their possible quest line? Do we want to change the main quest based on who lives or dies? I've been playing this game like 50 hours already and honestly haven't even tested that out, what happens if you kill an NPC?

In either case, while it would be cool to have more persistence in the world - more repercussions for your choices or the ability to "save" certain characters or let others die - I'd hardly say the lack of that precludes this from being the obvious GOTY contender that it is. Very few games attempt that anyway in any meaningful way (the "choices" in a Telltale games are largely illusory anyway). Really the only reason it's even an issue in RDR2 is that such great detail is paid to everything else... this seems like the next most obvious thing that "could have been".

Still, as I'll probably be playing this until the end of the year I see no way RDR 2 gets dethroned as my game of the year... and just like the 1st one it'll probably be top 5 or top 10 of the gen.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I agree with W3 being the most overrated game this gen.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

There’s always that one guy in the group.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts
@texasgoldrush said:
@GarGx1 said:

Doesn't excuse you from warning people that you are posting a spoiler link. Get some etiquette.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 texasgoldrush

@tgob89 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

It's amazing how texasgoldrush can be an apologist for TW3 but crucify RDR2 when it looks like a better RPG even though it's not trying to be.

Lets drop an education bomb on you and others here.

The Witcher 3 does have flaws, but where are those flaws? The flaws are on the side (and the control problem was fixed), not in the main thrust of the game direction. Therefore it has a high acclaim rating with gamers. That is a fact, not an opinion.

RDR2 has major game direction problems not just game design problems, which my link calls out.

Next TW3 is by far the better RPG in which your choices matter. They don't matter in RDR2, hence a major criticism.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 texasgoldrush

@GarGx1 said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@GarGx1 said:

Doesn't excuse you from warning people that you are posting a spoiler link. Get some etiquette.

How about you actually read the thing instead of blaming me for your failures.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I like the idea of having more consequences to the way you choose to play a game. Hopefully there is a game that punishes and rewards the way you choose to play but then in a separate playthrough let you go through the game enjoying both side's content.

Infamous second son did that pretty well it's just a shame it had a lack of content and gameplay variety.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 texasgoldrush

@2Chalupas said:

Arthur's "respect" level does supposedly change how characters react to him.

It would be cool if this changed some of the quest trees based on your behaviors and allowed some more serious story branching, I think it's more of a design choice. If you kill or anger an NPC do we want to lose their possible quest line? Do we want to change the main quest based on who lives or dies? I've been playing this game like 50 hours already and honestly haven't even tested that out, what happens if you kill an NPC?

In either case, while it would be cool to have more persistence in the world - more repercussions for your choices or the ability to "save" certain characters or let others die - I'd hardly say the lack of that precludes this from being the obvious GOTY contender that it is. Very few games attempt that anyway in any meaningful way (the "choices" in a Telltale games are largely illusory anyway). Really the only reason it's even an issue in RDR2 is that such great detail is paid to everything else... this seems like the next most obvious thing that "could have been".

Still, as I'll probably be playing this until the end of the year I see no way RDR 2 gets dethroned as my game of the year... and just like the 1st one it'll probably be top 5 or top 10 of the gen.

Its extremely superficial, and your actions for the most part. do not impact the main narrative. And really, Arthur going on a rampage clashes with his character in the story, like Marston in the first game.

Its not a "could have been" issue as well. Rockstar has a flaw in their formula they have never addressed. Its been there since GTA III.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@tgob89 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

The Witcher 3 does have flaws, but where are those flaws? The flaws are on the side (and the control problem was fixed), not in the main thrust of the game direction. Therefore it has a high acclaim rating with gamers. That is a fact, not an opinion.

RDR2 has major game direction problems not just game design problems, which my link calls out.

Next TW3 is by far the better RPG in which your choices matter. They don't matter in RDR2, hence a major criticism.

So you're educating people with opinions on other people opinions. What about other peoples options... don't they count?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 texasgoldrush

@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@tgob89 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

So you're educating people with opinions on other people opinions. What about other peoples options... don't they count?

TW3's very high gamer acclaim is an opinion? I think not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@tgob89 said:
@ghosts4ever said:

So RDR2 doesn't have very high gamer acclaim?

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 texasgoldrush

@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@tgob89 said:

Its lower than TW3's, and unlike BOTW and TW3, didn't win its Golden Joystick Award for best game, which gamers vote on.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#33 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@texasgoldrush said:

Seriously, 97 on Metacritic for a game that has so many problems, both big and small.

I will let this link (does have spoilers) go over them, controls, story problems, and game direction problems, they nail it on the head.

http://whatculture.com/gaming/red-dead-redemption-2-9-reasons-its-not-game-of-the-year-2018

#1 is especially important, and ensures this game is below The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild's greatness.

Once again, critics show their bias towards Rockstar, and now I am so sick of it, I do not trust gaming critics anymore. RDR2 has so many problems, and critical ones too, they are overlooked when corrupt critics rush out the reviews before game release, singing nothing but praise but being willfully ignorant of major flaws that anger gamers. This is a circle jerk plain and simple.

RDR2 not only does not fix the problems with the first game and the Rockstar formula, its made worse by having elements that enhance their clash of gameplay elements and makes it in a way that its not fun. I do think the story overall is better than the first, but it so underwhelming and cliched overall.

Dont like it, Dont play it. Life still works. Millions of games out there. Pick the one you like and play.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Its lower than TW3's, and unlike BOTW and TW3, didn't win its Golden Joystick Award for best game, which gamers vote on.

Didn't Fortnite win that this year, plenty of gamer really hate that.

In any case I think you're talking nonsense.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 texasgoldrush

@Coolyfett said:
@texasgoldrush said:

Dont like it, Dont play it. Life still works. Millions of games out there. Pick the one you like and play.

Already played and finished it. Typical Rockstar defense force statement.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 texasgoldrush

@boycie: Not enough gamers obviously.

Its about more than just loud mouths on a board.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:

I wouldn't call you a loud mouth, you just have an opinion like all of us.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 texasgoldrush

@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:

But I back mine up with facts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5c18005f903a1

@texasgoldrush said:
@boycie said:
@texasgoldrush said:

But I back mine up with facts.

Back up your what?

BoboTheMighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BoboTheMighty
Member since 2015 • 145 Posts

It's Rockstar: up until now only two other companies, Bethesda and Nintendo, receive as much a free pass with critics.

It's their best written game yet, but at this point they're behind nearly entire industry in every aspect of gameplay/mechanics/mission design.

Mark Brown/Game Maker's Toolkit did a pretty decent write up on it:

https://www.patreon.com/posts/thoughts-on-red-22570692

Rockstar games are like taking a tour on a Hollowood movie set: you follow tour guide exactly as he tells you, but look behind the shiny props and there is nothing there.

Which I guess is fine for most of their audience.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@texasgoldrush:

Yeah, I dunno about Breath of the Wild but Red Dead Redemption 2 is millions of miles better than Witcher 3.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Really?...

You knock Red Dead 2 for "immersion" breaking but then praise The Witcher 3?....

Loading Video...

I love the Witcher 3 but people like you are ridiculous.

If you want a proper "ROLE PLAYING GAME".... Then play one, Red Dead Redemption 2 just like GTA5 where never advertised as RPG's nor are they marketed towards them.

texasgoldrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By texasgoldrush

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Here is the thing.

TW3 never had immersive sim elements. The world is only there really to back up the story.

Therefore, the conflict of immersion and storytelling doesn't really exist in TW3, unlike RDR2.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7680 Posts

Lol at people ponying up to shit on witcher 3 gameplay while defending rdr2, stop fucking around the game controls like shit

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#45 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@howmakewood:

Whatever your gripe with RDR2's gameplay is, it still plays a hell of a lot better than Witcher 3. Witcher fails to be fun all around.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@texasgoldrush said:

@Grey_Eyed_Elf: Here is the thing.

TW3 never had immersive sim elements. The world is only there really to back up the story.

Therefore, the conflict of immersion and storytelling doesn't really exist in TW3, unlike RDR2.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7159 Posts

For me it was a 95% I don't agree any game should review 100% or 10/10. There were small grips like the cover system but didn't ruin the experience for me.

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

They're trying too hard with Online. CEO openly defends microtransactions, but still get a free pass.

@pyro1245 said:

Nah. That's still BotW.

You got it lol.

@ghosts4ever said:

Metal gear solid V. Seriously how is this game got 10/10 is beyond me. its an unfinished game and have most repetetive missions ever. literally 20 hours doing same thing over and over and over and over again.

The most overrated game of the gen is right here.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@howmakewood said:

Lol at people ponying up to shit on witcher 3 gameplay while defending rdr2, stop fucking around the game controls like shit

Geralt felt like you where controlling a tank and the combat was and is dreadful.

I loved the Witcher 3 for the same reason why I love Red Dead Redemption 2, the characters/stroy and the world... Everything else was a cherry on top.

As for the game controlling like "shit".... Funny how people want immersion and to "role" play but don't take into account that a horse doesn't just stop and neither do you if you are running. So technically the closer we get to mimicking real life movement in games the further we get from snappy game like controls of characters.

So what is it, do you want a game or do you want a role playing sim?...

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Grey_Eyed_Elf

@vaeh said:

They're trying too hard with Online. CEO openly defends microtransactions, but still get a free pass.

@pyro1245 said:

Nah. That's still BotW.

You got it lol.

@ghosts4ever said:

Metal gear solid V. Seriously how is this game got 10/10 is beyond me. its an unfinished game and have most repetetive missions ever. literally 20 hours doing same thing over and over and over and over again.

The most overrated game of the gen is right here.

He got to 20 hours in that game?...

I only played the "prologue" £10 demo thing for MGSV and once I found out how blind and stupid the AI was in a "stealth" game, I lost interest in MGSV launch. Literally circle around a base on 15 feet away from a guy and they can't see me?... Eh.