Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2405 Posts

Couple of thoughts about the first hour.

Years ago, sold PS4 version of Red Dead 2 after a few hours of shitty controls and disappointment, bought 5 dollar multiplayer on PC but was always bored with it, deleted it, then bought the full game last Steam sale. Pretentious. Tedious. Garbage combat, animations. Had forgotten, wish I didn't. Thought it would be better with a mouse and keyboard. I mean, it is better this way, but still crappy. The whole time walking and talking I felt deflated, bored. I don't like the characters. Quit as soon as it changed to daylight. Will grind farther, but Rockstar is trash. They don't understand good gameplay or don't care. They have only declined.

Still beginning, went slightly out of bounds of the scripted story. "Weather here is harsh. Go back to the camp." Keep going a few more feet. Horse falls over suddenly. "Your horse has died due to the harsh weather conditions."

Might as well not have any free roaming in the first couple of missions and just make it one long event with checkpoints. There's only the one mission marker to go to. **** you, Rockstar.

They don't know how to tell a story, don't understand westerns. Just exposition dumps about things that happened off screen or in the past in the walking and talking, or riding and talking in this case. It's dull.

Motherfucker... Bear in front of us, black guy suggests going around. I go to the side, yells at me, "Come on, let's stay together!" Go back to him. "Let's cut up here. Up the trail." That's where I went!

And even though my horse dies a couple of yards from the camp very suddenly when I try to explore on my own, they hitch them out in the storm (no shelter) before taking the deer inside.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

Real men played Desperados 3 and ignored it.

Has cowboy woman though, woke.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38801 Posts

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

You don't like RDR2 nor Eternal. I would suggest you try Life Is Strange next🤭

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2405 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Women, not woman. Comes off as really stupid that forty percent to half your enemies are women. Anyway, couldn't get into the mechanics. Don't play many top down games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
@warm_gun said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Women, not woman. Comes off as really stupid that forty percent to half your enemies are women.

You can also turn into a bush.

neogeo2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 neogeo2k2
Member since 2019 • 145 Posts

I found the game pretty boring and lost interest after 4 hours or so.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#7  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

I like the gameplay, but the game is highly overrated. The main campaign has serious pacing issues and uninteresting missions. 7/10 overall.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yep, sounds like a R* game. Quit taking chances on those a long time ago. Can respect the technical achievement, but screw playing it.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@hardwenzen: And plays like shit, which invalidates the rest of its qualities.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Juub1990

@BassMan: The gameplay is ass. What are you talking about?

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hardwenzen

@Juub1990 said:

@hardwenzen: And plays like shit, which invalidates the rest of its qualities.

It doesn't play as good as i would've liked, no. But saying that it plays like horseshit is just not true. Gameplay is simply not on par with the rest, and that doesn't mean its shit.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Looked boring to me. Never played either of them.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Juub1990

@hardwenzen: It’s shit. Bad gameplay. Bad controls with terribly high latency. Bad mission design from the stone-age you can’t deviate from.

Terrible game. Beautiful technical showpiece though.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18796 Posts

@Juub1990: "Beautiful technical showpiece though."

Sounds like GTA4, RDR and GTA5 too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hardwenzen
@Juub1990 said:

@hardwenzen: It’s shit. Bad gameplay. Bad controls with terribly high latency. Bad mission design from the stone-age you can’t deviate from.

Bad controls with high latency is the reason why the gameplay isn't what it should be. Mission design is bad, but mission themselves are fun, and the game offers more than story missions, so saying that the whole thing is bad because of their outdated mission design is not true.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56062 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

I'm on a holiday break from this place, trying to not log in and I cannot stand-by and watch you talking shit about RDR2 like that!

RDR2 is all about getting Western gaming style done right is why it's designed like it is. The gameplay is standard and simple but not the best either and I use my Elite controller anyway. I would rather play RDR than any GTA game and even I can say GTA games have lost me but RDR at least Rockstars is good at it. I mean, if you don't like Spaghetti Western movies, chances you won't like RDR2 at all.

Anyway, I'm done here, mission complete.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24914 Posts
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

should have been TV series instead of game.

its one of those game that done story, characters, graphics, world excellent but suck as video game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Juub1990

@davillain said:

I'm on a holiday break from this place, trying to not log in and I cannot stand-by and watch you talking shit about RDR2 like that!

RDR2 is all about getting Western gaming style done right is why it's designed like it is. The gameplay is standard and simple but not the best either and I use my Elite controller anyway. I would rather play RDR than any GTA game and even I can say GTA games have lost me but RDR at least Rockstars is good at it. I mean, if you don't like Spaghetti Western movies, chances you won't like RDR2 at all.

Anyway, I'm done here, mission complete.

Because GTA games have shit gameplay too.

@PSP107 said:

@Juub1990: "Beautiful technical showpiece though."

Sounds like GTA4, RDR and GTA5 too.

Pretty much. Rockstar games play awful.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Agree.. lot of good things about it but the control is just so damn sluggish that it destroys most of my enjoyment, rest of it was lost with all the incredible loooooong forced slow ride session where you couldn’t do anything except listening to some dudes whole life story!

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

RDR2 was the last proper open world game I finished... I enjoyed it at the time, but since then I haven't finished another open world game like that. Some of the missions were great, but overall the gameplay was too boring. Like most open world games, it feels like you spend 3/4 of the time traveling between missions. Open worlds just don't appeal to me in general anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I've beaten it twice once on PS4 and once on PC have no desire to ever play it again I got my fulfill out of it beautiful game but a slow burn to say the least definitely not for everyone. It can get boring at times no doubt but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

its one of those game that done story, characters, graphics, world excellent but suck as video game.

Lets calm our tits. Gameplay is a 6.5/10. Because most everything else is amazing, its absolutely worth playing the game.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

Lets calm our tits. Gameplay is a 6.5/10. Because most everything else is amazing, its absolutely worth playing the game.

most of time you are doing nothing. walking talking, riding on horse with gang while only holding shift key ie auto riding, some shitty combat sequence where its impossible to die.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10433 Posts

that opening mission is the least of the game's problems

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

most of time you are doing nothing. walking talking, riding on horse with gang while only holding shift key ie auto riding, some shitty combat sequence where its impossible to die.

Give him a break, he doesn't like games with too much gameplay. It overwhelms him.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hardwenzen
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

And? Its an immersive game. Riding in the middle of nowhere is part of the experience. That's why the world is so good looking and detailed.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever

@warmblur said:

I've beaten it twice once on PS4 and once on PC have no desire to ever play it again I got my fulfill out of it beautiful game but a slow burn to say the least definitely not for everyone. It can get boring at times no doubt but I still enjoyed it for the most part.

Loading Video...

Desperados 3 is better. a proper game, made for men, required skills.

RDR2 is movie game. this is actual game. beat it 3 times in row.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

Give him a break, he doesn't like games with too much gameplay. It overwhelms him.

Not a single day without my attention. What a sheep.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@davillain said:

I mean, if you don't like Spaghetti Western movies, chances you won't like RDR2 at all.

Maybe for some.

I love Spaghetti Westerns and don't care for R* gameplay. Really dig sci fi, don't dig a lot of sci fi games. On the flip, I'm not into anime at all, but can find myself really digging into anime style games.

I just want to play a good game. If it's styled around a genre I happen to enjoy, even better. Just not the deciding factor either way.

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6862 Posts

I honestly think it's one of the best games of all time but to each their own.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Yea, very little like a Spaghetti Western. Closer to something like a HBO series set in the West.

Outlaws and Desperados 3 are closer to Spaghetti Westerns, straight up directly emulating them.

Outlaws is primitive by todays standards but you don't need to be a cinephile "did you know I watch Akira Kurosawa and black and white foreign shite?" to grasp what it's emulating.

Loading Video...

Desperados 3 plot is almost wholesale taken from Once Upon A Time In The West. Even got just took the villain's name.

Which totally fine with.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

Immersive af ✔

Beautiful world ✔

Great cast ✔

Excellent story ✔

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

And? Its an immersive game. Riding in the middle of nowhere is part of the experience. That's why the world is so good looking and detailed.

So its not a video game. or doesnot try to be. to be game it need to be gamey.

Half life 2 told excellent story without cutscene, and all in gameplay. show the world, the universe, cast, everything.

Max Payne 1 told one of the best story ever but doesnot have any walking talking segments or hand holding cinematic segments despite being cinematic game.

but RDR2 it barely have gameplay.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@Juub1990: The gameplay is anything but ass. You're probably upset that you cannot mash 18 buttons per second with flashing lights going everywhere.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Exactly.

Gameplay - 1/10.

Everything - 10/10.

So its not a video game. or doesnot try to be. to be game it need to be gamey.

Half life 2 told excellent story without cutscene, and all in gameplay. show the world, the universe, cast, everything.

Max Payne 1 told one of the best story ever but doesnot have any walking talking segments or hand holding cinematic segments despite being cinematic game.

but RDR2 it barely have gameplay.

Its not a video game. Its a western simulator.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Mozelleple112

What a terrible opinion to have.

Red Dead Redemption II easily one of the greatest games ever made. Its award winning narrative is so good you would think Sony made the game. Its Naughty Dog (The Last of Us) calibre from a studio not named Naughty Dog. Whoever played Arthur Morgan gave one of the best performances in video game history, (on par with Christopher Judge as Kratos) and is one of the most well made characters of all time.

And still 4 years later it provides one of the most immersive worlds that puts something like The Witcher 3 or Zelda:BOTW to absolute shame.

I have RDR2 as my 6th best game of last gen. (MGS5, TLOU2, Sekiro, DS3 and GOW are the top5)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ghosts4ever

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Juub1990: The gameplay is anything but ass. You're probably upset that you cannot mash 18 buttons per second with flashing lights going everywhere.

like I said

Story - 10

Graphics - 10

World building - 10

Gameplay - 1/10

game design suck, mission design suck. it work better as HBO series.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mozelleple112

@ghosts4ever: Hmm not bad. I actually agree on all but the last.

I would say:

story: 10/10

immersion: 10/10

world building: 10/10

characters: 10/10

narrative: 10/10

game direction: 10/10

graphics: 10/10 (for its time of course)

gameplay: 8/10

Fair score according to me: 9.75/10

Metacritic score: 9.7/10

Spot on as always :)

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ghosts4ever

@Mozelleple112 said:

I would say:

RDR1 is better game overall.

RDR2 is casual movie game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Juub1990
@Mozelleple112 said:

Nah, it's just bad like everything Rockstar makes. 200ms input lag makes for sluggish and unresponsive controls. Restricted mission design that hasn't evolved since GTA III (you went of course, mission failed), terrible gunplay. Everything about the "playing" part of the game just sucks.

And your top list is shit.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ghosts4ever

@Juub1990 said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Nah, it's just bad like everything Rockstar makes. 200ms input lag makes for sluggish and unresponsive controls. Restricted mission design that hasn't evolved since GTA III (you went of course, mission failed), terrible gunplay. Everything about the "playing" part of the game just sucks.

Exactly. its full of mainstream movie games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

I would say:

RDR1 is better game overall.

RDR2 is casual movie game.

LOL RDR1 and 2 are EXACTLY the same. You can't call RDR2 a casual movie game and not RDR1.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mozelleple112

@Juub1990: My top list is literally the consensus. Someone with your disgusting taste will never understand, though.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ghosts4ever

@hardwenzen said:

LOL RDR1 and 2 are EXACTLY the same. You can't call RDR2 a casual movie game and not RDR1.

RDR1 is not chore to play, mission design were better, gunplay was better, no walking in campaign. horse run better instead of being a simulator.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Juub1990

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Juub1990: My top list is literally the consensus. Someone with your disgusting taste will never understand, though.

The fact that ghost agrees with me makes me think that you're perhaps correct.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mozelleple112

@ghosts4ever: I actually never finished RDR1. I found it quite boring tbh. RDR2 on the other hand was phenomenal. better characters, story, world, immersion everything.

Also back in 2010 I was a PC gamer so going from 1080p/60 ultra graphics to 720p/30 medium to play RDR1 might have influenced me to dislike it more than I should have.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Mozelleple112

@Juub1990: Hahahaha, I will take that.

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Seems anything that has strong narrative and presentation mixed with great gameplay is a movie game. More games should be movie games. Since movie games are now more than just taletell games and Davis Cage types, movie game is no longer a knock. Sorry but I want more story than just an RTS or Skyrim type. BTW, cool opinion bro.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen

@ghosts4ever said:
@hardwenzen said:

RDR1 is not chore to play, mission design were better, gunplay was better, no walking in campaign. horse run better instead of being a simulator.

Copium. Its exactly the same everything.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Ghosts4ever
@Sagemode87 said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@Juub1990 said:
@Mozelleple112 said:

Seems anything that has strong narrative and presentation mixed with great gameplay is a movie game. More games should be movie games. Since movie games are now more than just taletell games and Davis Cage types, movie game is no longer a knock. Sorry but I want more story than just an RTS or Skyrim type. BTW, cool opinion bro.

lot of games tell excellent story without being movie games. Deus Ex for example.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mozelleple112

@Sagemode87: THANK YOU. 100% agreed.

The common myth among SW: If a game has phenomenal story/narrative with excellent performances of well made characters and immersive world building then they automatically assume the gameplay is bad, even though these games often have best-in-class gameplay (The Last of Us 1-2, Metal Gear Solid 4-5, God of War + Ragnarök, Red Dead II etc...)