Recommend some RPG games like mass effect .

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 D-RS
Member since 2009 • 2003 Posts

I have been playing Mass effect 2 and i am totally in love with it , so can you recommend some RPGs like that , they don't have to SCI-fi , but i don't want them to be like FF , i want them more acton oriented .

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Fable 2? I dont know why people rip it. Its a great game imo...

D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 D-RS

DroidPhysX
if i haven't played any fable game , could i get into the third one?
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

D-RS

if i haven't played any fable game , could i get into the third one?

You could play the 2nd one and know whats happening without playing the first one. (thats what i did)...but I dont know if you can get into the third one and know whats up

ReaperV7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ReaperV7
Member since 2008 • 6756 Posts
action rpgs like mass effect 2 Fallout 3 Demon's Souls The Elder Scroll's IV: Oblivion Fable 2 and 3 and theres a ton of them on the PC.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Games like Mass Effect? Gears of War? :P
Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Games like Mass Effect? Gears of War? :PsiLVURcross

I was going to say that if he didn't add "RPG".

Anyways, try Fallout 3 or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
I seriously looked at the topic title, thought Gears of War, and was gonna post it :P
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.
D-RS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 D-RS
[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Games like Mass Effect? Gears of War? :PSAGE_OF_FIRE
I seriously looked at the topic title, thought Gears of War, and was gonna post it :P

I do see the similarity between them.
reaver-x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 reaver-x
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.DragonfireXZ95
hes asked for a game like ME2. Not a game that is far better than it lol
Zune_HD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zune_HD
Member since 2010 • 1144 Posts

DroidPhysX
More of an action/adventure than RPG, IMO but still fun nonetheless.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DragonfireXZ95
[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.reaver-x
hes asked for a game like ME2. Not a game that is far better than it lol

Which is why I'm recommending it. I'm trying to get him to come out of his casual shell. :P
bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts
action rpgs like mass effect 2 Fallout 3 Demon's Souls The Elder Scroll's IV: Oblivion Fable 2 and 3 and theres a ton of them on the PC. ReaperV7
can you name a few of those pc games? im trying to find a pc game to play thats not too old, maybe within the last 2 years.
SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts
Try out The Witcher. I'm loving it now.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Star Ocean : The Last Hope is a great game, and has a lot in common with Mass Effect from a game flow standpoint.

Star Ocean has a lot more content then Mass Effect, with huge worlds to explore all with different themes, races and technology levels, huge open overworlds, non linear dungeons, towns, shopping and a massive item creation system.It also has a dictionary, monster manual, plot/even sysnopsis that provides great side info on everything. Tons of side quests and collections to complete.

The combat is real time, with a pause and play option, the game is very stat heavy, but the combat itself feels like a fast and fun action game.

Anyway, its great, and if you liked Mass Effect, you'll most likely find a lot of things to like about Star Ocean. I personally think Star Ocean is a better RPG.

Star Ocean is available on 360 and PS3, with the only major difference being some gameplay tweaks in the PS3 version, along with an option for the Japanese audio tracks. Also the game is on one disc on the PS3, so no disc swapping when warping around between all the planets endgame (something you will do a lot). Either way its a great game on both systems.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#17 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
I like how people are listing games nothing like Mass Effect... Demon's Souls and Mass effect are only related because their rpg....thats it
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#18 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Totally, I mean you have the Choose to go to road A or road B! :P

but for serious. Go with Bethesda or other Bioware Games.

NoobisMaxcimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NoobisMaxcimus
Member since 2007 • 2893 Posts

Star Ocean : The Last Hope is a great game, and has a lot in common with Mass Effect from a game flow standpoint.

Star Ocean has a lot more content then Mass Effect, with huge worlds to explore all with different themes, races and technology levels, huge open overworlds, non linear dungeons, towns, shopping and a massive item creation system.It also has a dictionary, monster manual, plot/even sysnopsis that provides great side info on everything. Tons of side quests and collections to complete.

The combat is real time, with a pause and play option, the game is very stat heavy, but the combat itself feels like a fast and fun action game.

Anyway, its great, and if you liked Mass Effect, you'll most likely find a lot of things to like about Star Ocean. I personally think Star Ocean is a better RPG.

Star Ocean is available on 360 and PS3, with the only major difference being some gameplay tweaks in the PS3 version, along with an option for the Japanese audio tracks. Also the game is on one disc on the PS3, so no disc swapping when warping around between all the planets endgame (something you will do a lot). Either way its a great game on both systems.

evilross

But who in their right mind wants to deal with all those annoying jrpg cliches Star Ocean has in spades?

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DragonfireXZ95

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Games like Mass Effect? Gears of War? :PLegatoSkyheart

Only go Bethesda if you want shallow RPG games with some exploration involved. Otherwise, get The WItcher.
WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WhenCicadasCry
Member since 2010 • 2727 Posts

This. The Witcher is amazing. If you like post apocolyptic FPS / RPG hybrids, try Stalker.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.WhenCicadasCry

This. The Witcher is amazing. If you like post apocolyptic FPS / RPG hybrids, try Stalker.

Stalker has nothing of RPG. Just a Backpack menu that looks like some cRPG ones thats all.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.glez13

Stalker has nothing of RPG. Just a Backpack menu that looks like some cRPG ones thats all.

:?

Quests, an openworld, multiple dialogs... What? It's more of an RPG then Fallout 3, it just happens to have the best weapon ballistic / gameplay aswell as great RPG elements.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

WhenCicadasCry

Quests, an openworld, multiple dialogs... What? It's more of an RPG then Fallout 3, it just happens to have the best weapon ballistic / gameplay aswell as great RPG elements.

RPG elements =/= RPG

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="glez13"]

DroidPhysX

RPG elements =/= RPG

Isn't Mass Effect 2 classed as an RPG? :| That game doesn't even have an inventory system.

H3llstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 H3llstrike
Member since 2006 • 1877 Posts
Dragon Age? I'm really enjoying it, if you like Mass effect well it is Bioware.
glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 glez13

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

WhenCicadasCry

Multiple dialogs could mean its an adventure game, open world could mean it's from a lot of genres, only the quest part could mean it's a RPG unless I'm missing something. So by what you said it's more probably an Action Adventure game(FPS with some adventure elements). The worst part is that you consider it more of an RPG than Fallout 3:|

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 glez13

Isn't Mass Effect 2 classed as an RPG? :| That game doesn't even have an inventory system.

WhenCicadasCry

Since when RPG = inventory system. If you play like that then Adventure game = inventory system.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="glez13"]

glez13

Multiple dialogs could mean its an adventure game, open world could mean it's from a lot of genres, only the quest part could mean it's a RPG unless I'm missing something. So by what you said it's more probably an Action Adventure game(FPS with some adventure elements). The worst part is that you consider it more of an RPG than Fallout 3:|

Fallout 3 offered you fake choices, and bland, empty places to explore. I mean, you could become savior of the wasteland by repeatedly giving a hobo fresh water to drink. The first quest you do in Call Of Pripyat, is choose to give up an artifact. You think, if I give it to this dude, I might be rewarded, then you find out that the stalker just sells it, and leaves you pocketless. I'm sorry, but Fallout 3 is an embaressment to the RPG genre, and so is ME2. They're awesome games, but they offer simple black and white outcomes. It's synthetic, and predictable. Stalker on the other hand is brutal, and relentless.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

glez13

Since when RPG = inventory system. If you play like that then Adventure game = inventory system.

Ok, explain to me how Mass Effect 2 is more of an RPG then Stalker. :roll:

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 glez13

Fallout 3 offered you fake choices, and bland, empty places to explore. I mean, you could become savior of the wasteland by repeatedly giving a hobo fresh water to drink. The first quest you do in Call Of Pripyat, is choose to give up and artifact. You think, if I give it to this dude, I might be rewarded, then you find out that the stalker just sells it, and leaves you pocketless. I'm sorry, but Fallout 3 is an embaressment to the RPG genre, and so is ME2. They're awesome games, but they offer simple black and white outcomes. It's synthetic, and predictable. Stalker on the other hand is brutal, and relentless.

WhenCicadasCry

All of that is true or may be true, but anything of it makes STALKER a RPG. You have a strange concept of what a RPG is.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

Fallout 3 offered you fake choices, and bland, empty places to explore. I mean, you could become savior of the wasteland by repeatedly giving a hobo fresh water to drink. The first quest you do in Call Of Pripyat, is choose to give up and artifact. You think, if I give it to this dude, I might be rewarded, then you find out that the stalker just sells it, and leaves you pocketless. I'm sorry, but Fallout 3 is an embaressment to the RPG genre, and so is ME2. They're awesome games, but they offer simple black and white outcomes. It's synthetic, and predictable. Stalker on the other hand is brutal, and relentless.

glez13

All of that is true or may be true, but anything of it makes STALKER a RPG. You have a strange concept of what a RPG is.

I view an RPG that offers me to assume a role as a character, allowing me to make my own choices. In Mass Effect 2, you're funneled through extremly linear paths, offering hardly any freedom apart from calling an alien a "big stupid jellyfish", while Stalker allows me to hunt for artifacts, relax with fellow stalkers, listen to them play folk songs on an acoustic guitar, participate in a wide range of varied quests, making me think about what I'll need when I decide to venture back into the zone (do I take extra ammo, food, or medpacks), a day / night cycle that drastically changes the gameplay, various endings...

stevoqwerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stevoqwerty
Member since 2006 • 4029 Posts

Dragon Age is pretty good, made by the same devs and although you don't use guns, it's really similar.

Kiyobear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kiyobear
Member since 2009 • 836 Posts

Maybe it's because everyone talked the game up so much but I found nothing but disappointment with The Witcher. So many pointless fetch quests and conversations that bored me to tears. That, and the breasts were just there to be there; something teenagers would get worked up over I guess.

Fried_Shrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fried_Shrimp
Member since 2009 • 2902 Posts
If you liked the choices in Mass Effect 2 then go with The Witcher. The combat isn't as good but it's still a great RPG. If it's combat you want, play Gears of War or something.
VoodooHak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 VoodooHak
Member since 2002 • 15989 Posts

These are the aspects that I think are key to Mass Effect:

• A modicum of leveling
  • Some type of choice of the character you play
  • Decent dialogue options
  • Party management including relationship-building

So I'm going to say Jade Empire. Made by Bioware, but in a fictional ancient China. Cool party members. Great story. It's last gen, but still good game. May be a little on the easy side, but I think it does more right than what it does wrong.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#37 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts

[QUOTE="siLVURcross"]Games like Mass Effect? Gears of War? :PLegatoSkyheart

...Please don't recommend Bethesda >_>
gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

• A modicum of leveling

So I'm going to say Jade Empire. Made by Bioware, but in a fictional ancient China. Cool party members. Great story. It's last gen, but still good game. May be a little on the easy side, but I think it does more right than what it does wrong.

VoodooHak

glad to see someone else who liked Jade Empire, got bad reviews, but it was good, I tihnk people here just werent ready for a game about chinas history

Avatar image for Captain__Tripps
Captain__Tripps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Captain__Tripps
Member since 2006 • 4523 Posts

[QUOTE="VoodooHak"]

• A modicum of leveling

gamer-adam1

glad to see someone else who liked Jade Empire, got bad reviews, but it was good, I tihnk people here just werent ready for a game about chinas history

Jade Empire didn't get bad reviews.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="evilross"]

Do not listen to this man. SO and ME has as much in common as Boba Fett and the thing he fell into. Try to find a copy of Kotor. It was made by Bioware andmost of ME is based off that game.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i would say try all of bioware's games. especially kotor theres many similar elements to mass effect in it.
dreman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dreman999
Member since 2004 • 11514 Posts
[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

I view an RPG that offers me to assume a role as a character, allowing me to make my own choices. In Mass Effect 2, you're funneled through extremly linear paths, offering hardly any freedom apart from calling an alien a "big stupid jellyfish", while Stalker allows me to hunt for artifacts, relax with fellow stalkers, listen to them play folk songs on an acoustic guitar, participate in a wide range of varied quests, making me think about what I'll need when I decide to venture back into the zone (do I take extra ammo, food, or medpacks), a day / night cycle that drastically changes the gameplay, various endings...

Not true. You have many options when in the order you play cretin areas, how you plat though it and the dialogue you choose in the game. You only find the game restricting if you just play it picking one type of choice through out the game. If you build a personality for your character(like you should know you should do in wrpgs.) you can make surprisingly deep main characters. Remember, their many scenes and events in bioware games that most people have not seen or know of because they play it in a restrictive way or play it once.The same can be said about ME2. Also, day night cycles are old as sin and they do nothing for game play.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

[QUOTE="evilross"]

dreman999

Do not listen to this man. SO and ME has as much in common as Boba Fett and the thing he fell into. Try to find a copy of Kotor. It was made by Bioware andmost of ME is based off that game.

Mass Effect is a clone of KotOR, Dragon Age is a clone of KotOR, KotOR is a clone of Neverwinter Nights. See a pattern with Bioware's games?

There is a lot of similarities from a game flow standpoint between Star Ocean and Mass Effect... but plenty of differences in a game play prespective. The OP said he was interested in an RPG with a active battle system that was something like Mass Effect, not like the turn based Final Fantasy systems.

Yes, Star Ocean is a lot more of an RPG then Mass Effect, and there is more to do/explore/create/collect. Yes the Private Action dialog system for character interactions while onboard the ship is not as robust as the backstory system that Bioware uses in its games. Still, while not being a carbon copy, there is enough alike in the core games that I find them similar enough to be in the same genre.

Its not like I'm comparing Mass Effect and Demon's Souls, or Mass Effect and Gears of War. Depending on how much RPG you like in your RPG's Star Ocean is a great game, and I would recommend it whole heartedly to the OP.

WhenCicadasCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 WhenCicadasCry

[QUOTE="WhenCicadasCry"]

[QUOTE="glez13"]

dreman999

Not true. You have many options when in the order you play cretin areas, how you plat though it and the dialogue you choose in the game. You only find the game restricting if you just play it picking one type of choice through out the game. If you build a personality for your character(like you should know you should do in wrpgs.) you can make surprisingly deep main characters. Remember, their many scenes and events in bioware games that most people have not seen or know of because they play it in a restrictive way or play it once.The same can be said about ME2. Also, day night cycles are old as sin and they do nothing for game play.

The day / night cycle present a living, breathing world. You FEEL like you're in the zone, like you're PLAYING THE ROLE of a Stalker. In ME you feel like you're controlling an avatar on a set path. In Stalker you can join factions, choose to kill a friend to loot their items, heal them and gain their trust, you can choose to completely disregard the main plot and just go wondering anywhere you want. Me2 is extremely restricted in design, and only offers you black and white choices. Compare Stalker to say, Killzone, or COD. It's an FPS / RPG HYBRID.

rr2Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rr2Real
Member since 2004 • 11416 Posts
the witcher sucked I don't know what game you played
rr2Real

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rr2Real
Member since 2004 • 11416 Posts

[QUOTE="dreman999"][QUOTE="evilross"]

evilross

Mass Effect is a clone of KotOR, Dragon Age is a clone of KotOR, KotOR is a clone of Neverwinter Nights. See a pattern with Bioware's games?

There is a lot of similarities from a game flow standpoint between Star Ocean and Mass Effect... but plenty of differences in a game play prespective. The OP said he was interested in an RPG with a active battle system that was something like Mass Effect, not like the turn based Final Fantasy systems.

Yes, Star Ocean is a lot more of an RPG then Mass Effect, and there is more to do/explore/create/collect. Yes the Private Action dialog system for character interactions while onboard the ship is not as robust as the backstory system that Bioware uses in its games. Still, while not being a carbon copy, there is enough alike in the core games that I find them similar enough to be in the same genre.

Its not like I'm comparing Mass Effect and Demon's Souls, or Mass Effect and Gears of War. Depending on how much RPG you like in your RPG's Star Ocean is a great game, and I would recommend it whole heartedly to the OP.

really? i didn't see any lightsabers or jedis in those games
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Play KoTOR and KoTOR II. Both game stomp the Mass Effect series into the ground.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#49 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"]The Witcher - best RPG I've played this gen easily.rr2Real
the witcher sucked I don't know what game you played

He played The Witcher,just like I did,and that game most certainly doesn´t suck.

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
ME2 is more of a action third person shooter Try Gears. For a real rpg try Fallout or oblivion