Ray Tracing Global Illumnation Mod for GTA V

#1 Edited by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

EDIT: for those that were underwhelmed by the first video, here is another video showcasing ray tracing but with Natural Vision and ENB.

#2 Posted by Calvincfb (1218 posts) -

*Yawn*

#3 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

Wow, it became brighter. Maybe show a game like Minecraft to impress me.

#4 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

:)

really not seeing the GI difference?

#5 Posted by Kali-B1rd (2120 posts) -

That... was underwhelming to be honest, was expecting something more significant.

#6 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

lol, ok here are some quick ray traced minecraft screenshots to compensate on underwhelming you guys :)

if that didn't help (btw, RT is dynamic, not lightmaps)... then nothing I can do to persuade you :)

#7 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

Why does he remove DoF in the footage that has no RT?

Lighting does look better special how light bounces in covered areas.

Maybe they can cheat it by using traditional AOs and different lighting but I guess the advantage of having some for of RTs would be have less involvement?

#8 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@rzxv04 said:

Why does he remove DoF in the footage that has no RT?

Lighting does look better special how light bounces in covered areas.

Maybe they can cheat it by using traditional AOs and different lighting but I guess the advantage of having some for of RTs would be have less involvement?

I noticed the DoF too.. dunno why he removed it.

Also, you're right, using ray tracing in game engines should, in theory, make the whole development process less involved.

I posted pics from minecraft ray tracing. There are no baked lightmaps in those pics, the lighting is dynamic and change during the day without any effort needed to be there from a designer.

It's difficult to make a case for ray tracing, especially when newer titles often do a good job replicating ray traced global illumination, reflections and shadows with baked lightmaps and reflections.

I think at the moment, minecraft and quake 2 rtx are the better examples for making the case that ray tracing has the potential to bring older titles to life with a small shader patch.

And btw, I do see good potential for that GTA V indoor footage. As the indoor footage already looks good despite the shader used in that video (qUINT_rt.fx) is currently in alpha.

#9 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer: Sorry dude, but maybe use a game that doesn't have baked in ray tracing.

#10 Edited by BassMan (10176 posts) -

@Ant_17: Some scenes look much better. Look at the flat diffuse lighting vs. the GI....

#11 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@BassMan: Yeah,but not as noticeable as Minecraft. Hell the GTA4 real life mod looks better than this.

#12 Edited by BassMan (10176 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@BassMan: Yeah,but not as noticeable as Minecraft. Hell the GTA4 real life mod looks better than this.

Real Life mod looks great, but it is modding a lot more than just the lighting. Several upgrades in that mod. Also, Minecraft and Quake 2 are doing proper ray tracing as opposed to just a ReShade shader.

#13 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@BassMan: Well, that's the thing. It's just fixing up existing code. The game is a bad example. GTA5 last gen and this gen have a bigger difference, but this doesn't show anything aside from boosting lighting that already was coded to imitate it. Your 2 pics even show a drop in focus on the side. The stuff on the table is blurry and washed out because of the brightness.

#14 Edited by BassMan (10176 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@BassMan: Well, that's the thing. It's just fixing up existing code. The game is a bad example. GTA5 last gen and this gen have a bigger difference, but this doesn't show anything aside from boosting lighting that already was coded to imitate it. Your 2 pics even show a drop in focus on the side. The stuff on the table is blurry and washed out because of the brightness.

That is just depth of field effect.

#15 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@BassMan: It's put to trick you into thinking it looks different. Focus on the center where most of the things are with a light boost while the sides degrade.

Like i said, GTA5 is a bad example for this. I'm sure it will work better on another game.

#16 Edited by BassMan (10176 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@BassMan: It's put to trick you into thinking it looks different. Focus on the center where most of the things are with a light boost while the sides degrade.

Like i said, GTA5 is a bad example for this. I'm sure it will work better on another game.

I am not sure what you are getting at. The centre window is the source of the light. Naturally there will be light falloff as objects are further away and sides of objects that are not facing the source will be darker. There is way less depth to the objects in the scene and lighting is so flat in the first screen.

Anyway, I think it is a worthwhile free upgrade to the game. Can't complain much about it.

#17 Edited by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@BassMan: It doesn't do much, that's what i'm getting at.

And how will this look in the actual game, with it's sped up time? You can see with the 3 cars how the sun spot moves on the ground. How will every shadow look when you're moving around and shadows just slide around you?

#18 Edited by BassMan (10176 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

@BassMan: It doesn't do much, that's what i'm getting at.

And how will this look in the actual game, with it's sped up time? You can see with the 3 cars how the sun spot moves on the ground. How will every shadow look when you're moving around and shadows just slide around you?

The day/night cycle is sped up in that video to demonstrate the real time light bounce on other objects. Notice how the colours of the cars are bouncing on to the other objects? That is impressive. While playing the actual game, the sun light source will not move that quickly.

Real time lighting and shadows can be distracting in some games. The Forza Horizon games are a great example of this. The real time shadows in those games refresh at a slow rate and it looks jumpy and distracting. Again, I don't know why you are shitting on this particular mod.

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
#19 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1579 posts) -

This is really impressive, only dumbos will deny it, huge difference.

I guess it will become cool for some peeps here once the next-gen conslows do a gimped version of it lol

#20 Edited by KungfuKitten (26540 posts) -

I really like it. The way the artificial light gets overtaken by the daylight in the apartment shot. And the way the color of the car disperses in the final car shot. And the way things beneath that bridge are not just predetermined to be bright or dark but you can tell it determines to where the light goes.

It's funny that you can see also, that they really tried a lot of tricks to approximate good lighting in the original. Like the reflection on the table and all that.

I think it's still impressive regardless of how far they have gotten without raytracing. Shaders and consequently lighting has always been a major contributor to making a game look exceptionally good or bad. I do wonder how much of this tweak in existing games I would notice while playing the games, but it looks more impressive to me than say a 2k to 4k resolution change, or 100 to 144 fps change. This and the Minecraft one are making a case for raytracing.

I imagine that a future title developed with raytracing in mind means they can utilize things that would have taken a lot of work to fake before, or that wouldn't have looked good. I think the differences will become more apparent. And I also think this can be used for sound. I don't know if much has been said about that. But semi-realistic bouncing of sound (and hopefully at some point also its deformation) can contribute greatly to a sensation of presence in the game world.

#21 Posted by VFighter (4887 posts) -

Am I supposed to be impressed or something?

#22 Edited by Howmakewood (5861 posts) -

Looks very meh. There's great visual mods for gta v, this isn't one of 'em.

#23 Posted by Jag85 (13479 posts) -

@Ant_17 said:

Ray tracing is about realistic lighting and reflections, not about the brightness level.

#24 Posted by PC_Rocks (2247 posts) -

Meh, who cares about mods when Dreams released in early access. /sarcasm

#25 Posted by warmblur (2349 posts) -

That GTAV mod really doesn't do ray tracing justice at all, I find this old GTA4 graphics mod much more impressive.

Loading Video...

#26 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@BassMan said:

@Ant_17: Some scenes look much better. Look at the flat diffuse lighting vs. the GI....

It does. How long does it take to "bake" something like that btw? Would it take 3x longer for the artist if they didn't let RT do it?

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#27 Posted by SuperfluousReal (362 posts) -

Ehh a bit meh TBH.

#29 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@warmblur:

Here is how ray tracing shader looks like with Natural Vision and ENB

Loading Video...

#30 Posted by SuperfluousReal (362 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer said:

@warmblur:

Loading Video...

Unplayable frame-rate though.

#31 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@Ant_17:

It took me a long while to appreciate global illumination in Metro Exodus. It was difficult for me to see the difference between baked and actual GI. But once you play around with it for a while (I recommend trying the minecraft SEUS shader), I started seeing the potential.

btw, I posted another GTA V demo showcasing Ray tracing GI but with other mods NaturalVision + ENB.. check it out, I'm interested to see what you think.

#32 Posted by Macutchi (6736 posts) -

emperor's new clothes effect

#33 Posted by Steppy_76 (2695 posts) -

The real jump will come when different materials come in to play. The biggest difference between games and photorealism is the lighting. If you understand what your looking for this is impressive and just scratching the surface.

#34 Edited by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:
@Mystery_Writer said:

@warmblur:

Loading Video...

ya of course, the game takes a huge hit having the RT shader enabled.

Not sure about other GPUs, but you'd get only around 70-120 fps on RTX 2080 TI EVGA FTW3 on stock (no overclocking) + Threadripper 1950x on creative mode (not gaming mode).

The above numbers only when enabling RT shader alone (without the other shaders), on resolution 3840x1080, that's on a Samsung super ultrawide 32:9 aspect ratio monitor.

However, this shader currently doesn't take advantage of RT Cores (which is far more superior once developers target those dedicated RT cores).

Currently the advantage of not using the RT cores is you can run it on any Nvidia or AMD GPU (doesn't require RTX)

Global illumination is the most taxing computationally of all the 3 types of ray tracing.

The second most taxing is Ray Traced Reflections, and the least taxing is Ray Traced Shadows.

All GPUs could do ray tracing, however the advantage of the dedicated RT cores on RTX cards is just to make that process faster.

Anyway, aside from performance (cause hopefully more affordable RT enabled GPUs will be available for PC gamer in the future), what did you think of the potential seeing old PC games (like quake 2, minecraft, GTA, etc..) getting RT treatment?

#35 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

The real jump will come when different materials come in to play. The biggest difference between games and photorealism is the lighting. If you understand what your looking for this is impressive and just scratching the surface.

Very true, the minecraft shader showcase what you stated really well.

#36 Posted by SuperfluousReal (362 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer said:
@superfluousreal said:
@Mystery_Writer said:

@warmblur:

Loading Video...

ya of course, the game takes a huge hit having the RT shader enabled.

Not sure about other GPUs, but you'd get only around 70-120 fps on RTX 2080 TI EVGA FTW3 on stock (no overclocking) + Threadripper 1950x on creative mode (not gaming mode).

The above numbers only when enabling RT shader alone (without the other shaders), on resolution 3840x1080, that's on a Samsung super ultrawide 32:9 aspect ratio monitor.

However, this shader currently doesn't take advantage of RT Cores (which is far more superior once developers target those dedicated RT cores).

Currently the advantage of not using the RT cores is you can run it on any Nvidia or AMD GPU (doesn't require RTX)

Global illumination is the most taxing computationally of all the 3 types of ray tracing.

The second most taxing is Ray Traced Reflections, and the least taxing is Ray Traced Shadows.

All GPUs could do ray tracing, however the advantage of the dedicated RT cores on RTX cards is just to make that process faster.

Anyway, aside from performance (cause hopefully more affordable RT enabled GPUs will be available for PC gamer in the future), what did you think of the potential seeing old PC games (like quake 2, minecraft, GTA, etc..) getting RT treatment?

I think it is excellent but we need more capable hardware before i will even consider it myself.

#37 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1265 posts) -

Hoo weeh, I hope RT GI gets optimized for every game engine soon. It's much easier than baking fake GI.

#38 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8318 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:

I think it is excellent but we need more capable hardware before i will even consider it myself.

The RTX 2080 TI is good enough at the moment (albeit expensive). You get above 60fps having all those shaders enabled without even utilizing the RT cores.

#39 Edited by BoxRekt (1243 posts) -
@EducatingU_PCMR said:

This is really impressive, only dumbos will deny it, huge difference.

I guess it will become cool for some peeps here once the next-gen conslows do a gimped version of it lol

it will be cool when the games aren't forced to drop to 15frames per second. Only a dumbo would hype a feature that cripples the actual gameplay performance of a game like a dolt.

PC clowns try to criticize smooth playing console games at a locked 30fps yet you can virtually count the frames in those videos used to hype this feature.

Another thread made by you hypocrites recently was to hyped playing PC at 144fps and saying you couldn't go back to 60fps after experiencing over 100 fps, but NOW look at you guys?

You flip floppers need to decided on your fanboy narrative power or performance because you guys are all over the place hyping a feature for demonstrations running in the teens because you think it looks good for PC.

#40 Posted by Ant_17 (12413 posts) -

@Mystery_Writer: Yeah, the second video does show it much better even without showing the original.

#41 Posted by pyro1245 (4992 posts) -

Cool!

I love seeing these mods.

It's amazing what people can do even without access to the original source.