Ray Tracing boost of up to 50% in Battlefield 5 delayed, but coming soon

#1 Edited by DragonfireXZ95 (24712 posts) -

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-battlefield-5-ray-tracing-performance-update-delay

It has been delayed for now, but their tests show that 1440p with RTX on for a 2080 Ti is now playable with their new update to the game and with the newest Nvidia drivers.

"Much has been made about the performance of the 20-series GPUs with regards to the first flush of hybrid ray tracing, but the performance boosts achieved via some driver and engine-level optimisations shows that it definitely has legs even in this first generation of compatible hardware."

The 2070 will be able to do 60 fps with RTX on in 1080p.

"Interestingly Nvidia highlights the fact the RTX 2070 will be able to nail a solid 60fps at 1080p using Ultra settings and with the DXR settings at Medium. That’s looks like a pretty solid showing from the lowest-spec Nvidia Turing GPU on the GeForce 20-series spectrum. Fingers crossed the update really isn’t going to be delayed too long."

Apparently, they have also increased the amount of ray tracing along with improving performance.

“We haven’t changed what the quality levels do for this update,” explains DICE Rendering Engineer, Yasin Uludag. “What we do is we increase the amount of rays we shoot in the scene as you go from low to ultra, and also it affects more materials.”

One of the key improvements in this update is the introduction of variable rate ray tracing. It seemingly works a lot like the variable rate shading Nvidia introduced with the Turing GPUs, in that it means the game engine knows where to focus the greatest number of rays. In the image below the areas shaded pink are where the most rays are aimed because those are the most reflective materials in the scene.

"“This allows us to place the rays where they matter,” says Uludag. “This actually allows us to improve performance and improve the quality level. And we will make it even better in the future.”"

It seems that the destructible environments, along with the maps being riddled with foliage, were causing significant drops in performance while using ray tracing.

"“In BF V we have a lot of destructible objects,” says DICE’s Uludag, “and anything that is destructible has a very big performance impact on ray tracing due to a bug. However we worked with Nvidia, both on the driver side and in the engine, to fix this bug which actually allows us to use the hardware more efficiently and ray tracing is performing much better now.”

And lastly, in the leafier, bullet-riddled, nightmarish Battlefield V maps the foliage has been causing all sorts of ray traced issues. They were essentially doing too much, ray tracing all the exploding bit of tree, grass, and leaves in every puddle going. That had a huge impact on the pace of the game, while actually delivering very little in terms of the final visual fidelity of a scene."

@BassMan: Looks like that 2080 Ti ray tracing will be a thing, after all. ;)

PC master race and all that.

#2 Posted by NoodleFighter (9781 posts) -

Not bad, when it comes to optimizing for PC hardware DICE are definitely in the top 5 possibly number 1.

#3 Edited by lundy86_4 (50923 posts) -

Good to see that they're really trying to optimize the RT. I was going to get a 2080ti, but after finally seeing some benches, I decided to stick with my 1070 (at 1080p,) and wait for the next iteration of the RTX line and see if it improves enough. I'm going 4K for my TV soonish, but I may run a secondary monitor on a desk (for my upcomic new job) and do 1440p and higher fps.

#4 Posted by lamprey263 (35736 posts) -

At this point I will settle for the game menu not taking a minute to load each time, all this graphics bullshit will probably just increase load times so fuuuck that noise.

#6 Posted by R4gn4r0k (29503 posts) -

I'm pushing Battlefield V to get 120FPS at 3440x1440.

Not really interested in ray tracing if it means 60 fps :P

#7 Posted by JasonOfA36 (981 posts) -
@lamprey263 said:

At this point I will settle for the game menu not taking a minute to load each time, all this graphics bullshit will probably just increase load times so fuuuck that noise.

Doesn't matter if the game's installed on an SSD. SSDs are cheap nowadays anyway.

#8 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24712 posts) -
@jasonofa36 said:
@lamprey263 said:

Doesn't matter if the game's installed on an SSD. SSDs are cheap nowadays anyway.

Yep, loads crazy fast on an SSD.

#9 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24712 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

I'm pushing Battlefield V to get 120FPS at 3440x1440.

Not really interested in ray tracing if it means 60 fps :P

Apparently, the 2080 Ti can do ultra settings with ultra RTX quality at 1440p at 60 fps.

So, if you lower the RTX quality down to low, you could probably still get 90+ fps, which is okay for me.

https://www.pcgamer.com/battlefield-5-update-aims-to-boost-ray-tracing-performance-up-to-50-percent/

• GeForce RTX 2080 Ti gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1440presolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Ultra quality.
  • GeForce RTX 2080 gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1440presolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Medium quality.
  • GeForce RTX 2070 gamers will now be able to achieve 60+ FPS at 1080presolution with DXR Raytraced Reflections set to Medium quality.

#10 Edited by R4gn4r0k (29503 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: I'm playing the game on a mix of ultra and low settings.

Some maps I'm getting 120fps, other maps are down to 90fps.

#11 Edited by BassMan (9432 posts) -

I downloaded the latest patch and drivers. It sure looks pretty and runs well on the first single player mission. Everything set to ultra with anything that degrades image quality disabled (motion blur, chromatic aberration, film grain, etc.)...

I will test it in more demanding areas later.

#12 Posted by BassMan (9432 posts) -

You can see performance takes a hit in more complex scenes. Also, it does not render all elements properly as those god rays look all fucked up and I was noticing weird LOD/pop-in issues with reflections. To make matters worse... it felt awful at the lower frame rates and was affecting the input lag/responsiveness drastically.

So yeah.... this ray tracing shit is still not at an acceptable level to be used regularly.

#13 Posted by Gatygun (1297 posts) -

If only they patched that trash tier dev team away from this planet.

#14 Posted by Epak_ (10461 posts) -

Nice, there's hope.